Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

lezard_valeth posted:

Wasted opportunity here for Quina to get left behind on the exploding Terra only to later tear through the fabric of reality back into the party. I think he/she would have gotten well alone with Gilgamesh traversing the multi universe.

Funny thing is Quina wouldn't be the only one since Stiltzkin inexplicably makes it back as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

FeyerbrandX posted:

It sort of makes sense as a bit of foreshadowing. "Why the hell is Kuja's epic mount here, and where's Kuja?"

Unfortunately Garland no-sells it, doesn't bother asking that question and just decides to let you fight it without getting suspicious. Doesn't even pat himself down to check to see if he has the keys to his Doom Ship.

I always assumed Garland grounded Kuja with "no pets no toys" after Alexandria and that is why Kuja had been resorting to using the Hilda Garde to fly around during disc 3

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That moment when you pop out of Terra and discover the world is entirely covered in mist is one of the greatest "oh, poo poo" moments in the entire Final Fantasy series. Hell of a way to end the disc.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
I always thought spilling mist back onto the word was a double edged sword. Yea, it scares the crap out of everyone, but the entire world was built on mist tech. Why would you give the world its mist tech back?

Southhouse-
Oct 15, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Not only that, but I think this is the point where Kuja drops all of the theatrical language and just begins speaking normally.

This is interesting since it implies that theatrical and flamboyant Kuja is him at least partially putting on an act.

It does makes sense that he tries to stand out as much as possible. He hates the idea of him being just another genome to the point where he completely denies it, telling himself that he is destined for greatness.

Garland of course doesn't feel any threatened by what he views as one of his tools, and I like how he makes it clear that Kuja can believe he's special all he wants as long as he just does his job.

That scene between them is great for many reasons. I like how Garland gets taken down a peg after completely underestimating both of his tools and Kuja is just so elated at achieving greatness at last. And then the immediate stinger that he has a built in lifespan like all of the other genomes. Just like the black mages he made fun of earlier. Seeing Kuja snap and drop his mask before quietly destroying his entire homeworld was pretty chilling the first time I saw it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mega64 posted:

Funny thing is Quina wouldn't be the only one since Stiltzkin inexplicably makes it back as well.

Well they did evacuate Bran Bal before they left.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
This is one of my favorite moments because Kuja's freakout isn't from the revelation that he's going to die soon, but that he's going to die at all. Kuja has been going through life assuming he would never die, and when he learns what everyone else knows from around age 5, he throws a tantrum of apocalyptic proportions.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Just speculation at this point, but I imagine the downside with channeling the mad final desperation of all the souls killed by the Invincible is that it also gives you one hell of a fear of death.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted

Southhouse- posted:

That scene between them is great for many reasons. I like how Garland gets taken down a peg after completely underestimating both of his tools and Kuja is just so elated at achieving greatness at last. And then the immediate stinger that he has a built in lifespan like all of the other genomes. Just like the black mages he made fun of earlier. Seeing Kuja snap and drop his mask before quietly destroying his entire homeworld was pretty chilling the first time I saw it.

More of just the black mages actually. Garland implies that Zidane and the rest of genomes are not going to die of age, just have their minds/souls replaced with the people of Terra. Kuja is the only one of them with a bit in time limit, because Kuja was too untrustworthly and Garland wouldn't want his makers to be at risk when they are restored.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Krumbsthumbs posted:

I always thought spilling mist back onto the word was a double edged sword. Yea, it scares the crap out of everyone, but the entire world was built on mist tech. Why would you give the world its mist tech back?

Monsters and hostile environments (like the evil forest place) get more randy in the mist.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Krumbsthumbs posted:

This would be more of a sticking point if pretty much every major city hadn't been leveled before we took a trip to Terra. I can't imagine any of the kingdoms have much remaining in the way of fortifications.

Music Junkie
Sep 30, 2012

That's right, embrace the cute. Embrace it. You know you want to.
Glad I'm not the only one who sees Kuja destroying Terra as a giant temper tantrum. That said, I don't remember having much trouble with the boss fights, but I DO know I got hit with a flare star at least once, I think I had reflect or something rolling, so yeah. And I never noticed that Kuja floats down from the Invincible, guess I just didn't pay attention. Learning lots of new things from this LP!

Garland just had backup plan after backup plan though, and they kinda bit him in the rear end. Make Kuja , but his soul too strong? No prob, make Zidane as a replacement! Zidane gets dumped on Gaia by his jealous as gently caress brother? Pffft, give Mikoto a soul so she can replace the other two just in case.

Second prototype comes back? "So hey, you were supposed to be my new angel of death on Gaia, but apparently that's not happening, and you're getting too uppity, let's try to yank your soul out and wipe you." Your original warmonger comes back? Ha, tell him "Yo, you ain't immortal, you were too dangerous for that, by the way your life span is short, you gonna die soon, you were only supposed to last until Zidane grew up." Cue temper tantrum and the destruction of Terra by Kuja, good job there Garland.

I like how Zidane points out that even though the genomes are just blank slates, they still don't deserve to die. Spoken like a true hero. A nice touch is that even the genomes in the tanks are gone. Mega, am I right in assuming you don't get into any fights on the way back to Bran Bal? Since it's strictly a scripted event? Dagger being fearless, and Zidane managing to spit out 'thank you' was cute and a nice bit of levity after all the heavy drama that just occurred. And Quina and Stiltzkin can't die, they survive EVERYTHING. Hell, Cleyra being destroyed didn't do it, what makes y'all think Terra could? :colbert:

Also, bit late, but I still love You're Not Alone, it got stuck in my head for ages. Oh Disc 4, bring on your madness! Bring on the rest of the game! Bring on whatever you have left to throw at us! Besides the hidden super boss, which I have never managed to beat, ever. :argh: And something that makes me giggle is when Kuja tells Garland that Zidane intends to fight Terra, like he's tattling or something. "DAAAAAAAD, ZIDANE SAID HE'S GONNA FIGHT TERRAAAA, I'M GONNA GO BEAT HIM UP FOR THAT."

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kuja is, as Hilda herself said, a narcissist. His entire worldview is self-centered but he's not stupid. He understood from the start he was not the strongest being in existence but he felt he should be. That is what ultimately broke him, I think. He kept telling himself that if only he could get stronger, if only he could accumulate enough power, he would prove Garland wrong. He could justify his egocentric perspective of the universe.

But just as real life people can't fill the holes inside themselves with wealth and power, being the strongest being in existence didn't change Kuja at all. He's still just one of Garland's tools and will die. He could no longer lie to himself about what he was and that drove him over the edge.

Kuja is probably the best-written FF villain in my opinion. I have thought this ever since I played FFIX 13 years ago.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh god drat it, Flare Star is triggered by Reflect? That's why he kicked my rear end relentlessly, I was loving around with Auto-Reflect.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
also if we are continuing the DBZ similarities than Garlands Wave-physical is certainly the DBZiest of moves
even moreso than No Mercy

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Music Junkie posted:

Besides the hidden super boss, which I have never managed to beat, ever. :argh:

I just finished the game before the last update and I wrote up a pretty nifty strategy guide for how to beat them. It only took me two attempts on this playthrough, even.

But I'll talk more about that when we get there.

AlphaKretin posted:

Oh god drat it, Flare Star is triggered by Reflect? That's why he kicked my rear end relentlessly, I was loving around with Auto-Reflect.

Flare Star also costs 0 MP in case you get any smart ideas about using Magic Hammer on him.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The fact that it's fairly easy to break this game over your knee and the game acknowledges it once is another thing that makes it great.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Just realized something: all the threats in this game come in the form of nested series of artificial people created to serve others' agendas. The black mages and Vivi were created by Kuja to accelerate war on Gaia, Kuja and the genomes were created by Garland to facilitate the rebirth of Terran civilization, and Garland himself was created by Terrans to guide the whole process.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

And the Terrans were created by Squaresoft. It all comes together.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

But then... Who created them??

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

We did, the consumers, slumbering between each game waiting for new bodies to inhabit.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Kuja not only got a permanent Trance, but one that activated when he wanted it to? Yeah, I'm gonna have to call bullshit on that.

Well I figure out party might also get permanent trance if they also devoured a bunch of souls.

but being good people they just won't do that.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

UnwiseTrout posted:

We did, the consumers, slumbering between each game waiting for new bodies to inhabit.

:vince:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

GunnerJ posted:

Just realized something: all the threats in this game come in the form of nested series of artificial people created to serve others' agendas. The black mages and Vivi were created by Kuja to accelerate war on Gaia, Kuja and the genomes were created by Garland to facilitate the rebirth of Terran civilization, and Garland himself was created by Terrans to guide the whole process.

What do you call Brahne and the Eidolons? :colbert:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

Eh, tangentially connected exceptions. Neither was a threat except in as much as they were co-opted by Kuja.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

I hadn't noticed Kuja dropping the theatrics before glassing Terra. That's a really interesting touch and improves this moment a lot. I used to think he just got Trance then went right into his rampage without missing a beat.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ApplesandOranges posted:

A pretty good name for a band.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

A pretty good name for a band.

A Brahned? :v:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

DeafNote posted:

also if we are continuing the DBZ similarities than Garlands Wave-physical is certainly the DBZiest of moves
even moreso than No Mercy

Well, that and the fact that Kuja just went super saiyan 4 out of nowhere. Right down to the red fur on his head and (regrowing a) tail

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
We dont talk about DBGT
Alltho Trance Kuja looks far better anyway

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I dunno, I think SSJ4 was one of the better elements of GT.

Although Kuja's Trance makes him look more like a bird to me while of course SSJ4 was all about showing off how Goku is really just a damned monkey like Freeza said.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's great seeing most of the characters do a complete 180 on Terra. Zidane finds himself despairing and in a position where he needs to be perked back up, Dagger stopping someone from going off solo, Steiner expresses his loyalty to Zidane and trusts his loyalty to Dagger, Vivi reaches out to the Genomes and tries to lift Zidane up, Amarant wants to help, hell even Quina is being observant and mentions that life isn't 100% about food.

Except Freya. Because Freya isn't allowed to have a character arc even though a solid 20-25% of the game is dedicated to her.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

It's great seeing most of the characters do a complete 180 on Terra. Zidane finds himself despairing and in a position where he needs to be perked back up, Dagger stopping someone from going off solo, Steiner expresses his loyalty to Zidane and trusts his loyalty to Dagger, Vivi reaches out to the Genomes and tries to lift Zidane up, Amarant wants to help, hell even Quina is being observant and mentions that life isn't 100% about food.

Except Freya. Because Freya isn't allowed to have a character arc even though a solid 20-25% of the game is dedicated to her.

And Eiko. Eiko remains as nosy and foul-mouthed as always, bless her. :allears:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

That's a really exaggerated proportion. The burmecia arc isn't that long. I'd say it's maybe 8-10%, and even then the arc also has to introduce Kuja and Beatrix as antagonists and set up the black mages.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
She doesn't fall entirely out of the narrative any less. When Quina is getting more screentime and dialogue than you are, it might be time to look at your options.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Eh, Freya's role is fine. She had her nice big arc in Discs 1 leading into Disc 2, but anyone outside of the first four characters don't really get much. It's just that Quina doesn't need development and Eiko was lucky enough to be around for a lot of Disc 2.

Khmer_Ruse
Mar 31, 2010
The main cast role reversal occurring when they go through the looking glass to Terra is what I love about this segment, that all the ways Zidane influence has rubbed off on the party is reflected back on him. I see the "you are not alone" segment as the party putting Zidanes soul back together and establishing his motivation.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Flare Star also costs 0 MP in case you get any smart ideas about using Magic Hammer on him.

I did this exact thing on my second playthrough cause I didn't use Quina at all on my first.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Got all the Disc 4 sidequests done. The secret boss took me awhile. Should be splitting that up into two updates, with the first one hopefully up tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

When we get to the secret boss, would it be alright if I shared the strategy I used to beat it? It made things a lot easier for me when I understood how it operated.

• Locked thread