Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

oh wow, that's a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Until we have adequate public transportation everywhere, yearly vehicle inspections would be another way to deepen inequality.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
even in states like colorado or florida where a third to a half of people have already voted, drawing a reasonable conclusion from that when theres still significant collections of rural and other areas that haven't done much voting yet would be, i imagine, very annoying

nevada's a little different because instead of talking about 50% we're talking closer to 70%, and even then hillary's pretty good lead of something like +5 is going to narrow a few points once all the rural votes come in

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Instant Sunrise posted:

Missouri goons, Trump is leading the presidential race on 538, but Jason Kander is projected to win by a hairsbreadth, what would the thought process be of somebody voting for Trump and Kander on the same ballot?

"I hate them drat Washington politicians. I want a straight-talker who tells it like it is!"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

sean10mm posted:

Nate's model is what it has been forever, as far as we know.

Nate personally has been shook as hell since the GOP primary, and has alternated between being as smug as possible and acting like a gigantic piss-reeking crybaby ever since.

Much of what Nate's site puts out now is clickbait garbage.

That pretty much sums it up I think. :ms:

Nate Silver? More like Nate Bronze. :smug:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/794225424498688001

I don't know if I fully understand everything in that article, but it seems like pretty good anti-arzy material.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Crain posted:

oh wow, that's a thing?

Yeah, don't know who's it is.

Also, it appears to be hit or miss. I've had a lot of AVs, but I think my recent ban erased them all? I don't know.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

WeAreTheRomans posted:

I mean the current av incarnation isn't that bad. It's just some dude, who appears to have Downs, but is also happy and waving and looks pretty chill, and the message is positive. Not even any text telling you to kill yourself. I say just roll with it for a while

As TB pointed out yesterday he's Special Olympian John Franklin Stephens the person that wrote a kind letter to Ann Coulter explaining why it's wrong to use the word "retard" as an insult. Of course she responded as you'd expect.

Here is his letter.

https://specialolympicsblog.wordpress.com/2012/10/23/an-open-letter-to-ann-coulter/

The fact people are using that as an insult avatar is pretty awful since that dude has done a lot more good than most people here.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Covok posted:

Nate Silver? More like Nate Bronze. :smug:

I favor the golden Wang myself. :chord:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

-Early voting is STRONG, and generally favors the big D.
So what's it like having early voting for a mom?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Chelb posted:

yeah.

probably possible but also probably not worth the effort to interpret weak correlations

Right. We don't actually know how those people voted, only that people with registration this and that early voted. There could be a large number of Republican ticket-splitters in the Florida early vote for all we know. Trying to draw trends based on party affiliation and previous cycles when your sample size of elections is tiny is just asking for trouble. Oh and the GOP keeps loving with the early voting rules.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

FactsAreUseless posted:

boom, roasted

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

How quickly do cars disintegrate, though?

Might dependva lot on the state. Things like tough winters with lots of road salt usage nay make it last less.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
For whatever reason Nate's model seems to put a lot of stock in the belief that as goes Missouri so goes the nation. Missouri polls regularly drown out polls from Florida and North Carolina.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I will say about Nate Silver that I don't understand what the point of the "polls plus" model is. It's rarely radically different than Polls Only and it reacts REALLY weirdly.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Crow Jane posted:

I'm for it. It just ensures that if an appointee dies while in office, or leaves for whatever reason, the governor has to fill the position with someone from the same party as the person who left. Seeing as how we keep electing Republican governors, having something like that in place seems like a good thing.

Well when you get Democrats like Carcetti as governor.... This is a good thing voting initiative, Minnesota should have that on the books.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

:supaburn:

(That gave me a chuckle, thanks.)

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

theflyingorc posted:

I will say about Nate Silver that I don't understand what the point of the "polls plus" model is. It's rarely radically different than Polls Only and it reacts REALLY weirdly.

Polls plus includes economic indicators and (either because of the okayish economy or as an added feature) a stronger assumption that polls will revert towards the mean. Farther out from election day it's a little more conservative in giving strong predictions one way or the other; this close to the election it's essentially obsolete.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Crain posted:

oh wow, that's a thing?

I have had way more avs than i remember

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I've read the name Arzy a billion times in these threads, could I make a small request? Could someone quote a sample of his madness from 2012?

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Crain posted:

It's a wash.

I mean, if you prefer to bank on your party always holding the governorship to fill spots with your guys, vote no. But we don't always have that. I voted for it since I think maintaining the balance of power, whatever it was, is more useful than letting the governor fill in whoever in a tight spot.

Crow Jane posted:

I'm for it. It just ensures that if an appointee dies while in office, or leaves for whatever reason, the governor has to fill the position with someone from the same party as the person who left. Seeing as how we keep electing Republican governors, having something like that in place seems like a good thing.

Cool, that jives with my thinking. And considering our weird TriumvirateBoard of Public Works that balance of power comment is particularly apt.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Agrajag posted:

gently caress first/second year poli sci idiots. Ideological purity is unrealistic, grow the gently caress up.

Did you know you can still vote for Hillary but think she is not the best person we could have chosen?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Another question for MD goons: how are you voting on the referendum to let vendors sell near Rash Field in the harbor? I'm kinda torn. On the one hand, more jobs are always good. On the other, there are already tons of places to eat around there, and it'd be nice to have just one area of the harbor that's relatively chill. Plus it might be nice to encourage growth in other areas of the city instead?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I've read the name Arzy a billion times in these threads, could I make a small request? Could someone quote a sample of his madness from 2012?

Go back two threads and read CS. Now you have experienced Arzy in a nutshell.

It's a dumb in joke name for concern trolling about electoral politics.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
The 2008 election was where Arzy was doing his thing. There wasn't anything really notable about it, he just wouldn't stop freaking out over anything remotely negative for Obama, all the time.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Sorus posted:

Speaking of, MD Goons, how do you feel about Question 1? Good thing, bad thing? Meh thing?

Yeah, I'm pretty meh about it, probably will vote yes for it just to give Hogan a 'gently caress you'

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jonas Albrecht posted:

2012 was him being a smug dick about Romney winning. He got a job in finance between 08 and 12 and flamed out basically the same way Boosted did between 12 and 16.

08 was primo Arzy freakout.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Feral Integral posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty meh about it, probably will vote yes for it just to give Hogan a 'gently caress you'

Why is Hogan so popular?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Would Romney win against Hillary?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Crain posted:

Yeah. That whole "Freestate Project" flopped hard and the Libertarians there basically just turned into bitter Republicans (they were always bitter republicans).

It's actually a freaky, fascinating thing to read about.

I actually used to listen to Free Talk Live a lot, and thought it was a good idea back in my early 20s, but then I wandered onto their forums and HOLY poo poo it was a cesspool of outright racism and sharing of stormfront links unironically.

So nope gently caress that.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Covok posted:

Would James Bond win against Indiana Jones?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/794225424498688001

I don't know if I fully understand everything in that article, but it seems like pretty good anti-arzy material.

The moneyshot:

quote:

----Both candidates get 90 percent of base and split indies: Clinton by 4, 29,000 votes

----Both candidates get 90 percent of base, Trump wins indies by 10: Clinton by 2, 17,000 votes

----Both candidates get 90 percent of base, Trump wins indies by 20: Clinton by 3,000 votes

Note: Trump is not going to get 90 percent of the GOP base, and with all of those votes banked even before the Comey letter, it's almost impossible for him to win indies by 20. (Romney won indies by 7.) You see his challenge.

Also, REDTUBE (yes, that redtube) held an online poll which was won by Trump 56-42.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

It's an experiment with adding fundamentals to the model. It's new for 2016. It had some bigger differences back in the summer but now it's not so different.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Covok posted:

Doubtful, but more likely than Trump

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

would hitler win against hitler's ghost?????

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Crow Jane posted:

Another question for MD goons: how are you voting on the referendum to let vendors sell near Rash Field in the harbor? I'm kinda torn. On the one hand, more jobs are always good. On the other, there are already tons of places to eat around there, and it'd be nice to have just one area of the harbor that's relatively chill. Plus it might be nice to encourage growth in other areas of the city instead?

That's local to your district/county. Didn't have that on my ballot. Got a dumb loving "WE SHOULD HAVE TERM LIMITS AND RULE THAT LEAVING EARLY COUNTS AS A FULL 2/3 OF A TERM" or someshit question.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Libertine posted:

They are both historically weak candidates with some of the highest unpopularity numbers in history which is why I think it is close.

I agree with this. This isn't because I have a particular bone to pick with Hillary. As someone who agrees with her that a lot of Americans are deplorable, I really like her. I think that the Clintons have had enough time in the spotlight that it's become difficult to continue to hide their cynical belief that most americans are too stupid to know what's good with them, or that a lot of people are backwards racists that will have to be dragged into the present, usually by smiling and agreeing with them to their faces and then quietly fixing the world behind their backs.

The issue is that when the deplorables figure out that this is going on it really makes them sad because liberals are being "condescending". But the fact is we don't ask infants for permission before putting them to bed.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

mcmagic posted:

Why is Hogan so popular?

Eastern/Southen MD is full of rich people and rednecks both of whom like to vote Republican and are mostly out-of-touch and racist

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol

Lightning Knight posted:

Man 538 is down to 65%. :(

Where is this? I keep checking when someone mentions something similar and it never goes under 85%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

canepazzo posted:

Also, REDTUBE (yes, that redtube) held an online poll which was won by Trump 56-42.
No reason to expect this poll to over-represent men, no sirree!

• Locked thread