Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Kibner posted:

If Buddy Hield had been playing starter minutes this season, he would have been regarded as worse than rookie Austin Rivers.

Pretty much every prospect I think is going to be awesome in the draft always turns out sucking big time. My draft predictions are like the anti-hype engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Libertine posted:

Pretty much every prospect I think is going to be awesome in the draft always turns out sucking big time. My draft predictions are like the anti-hype engine.

It wasn't until the fourth game in and on his 14th(!) attempt that Buddy hit his first three.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Utah's announcers are super homers. Also I hate Matt Harpring.

Portland's are better, but they are really trying to give Aminu the nickname Chief for some reason.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I haven't watched any games of last year's lottery teams but from what I hear it seems like none of the non-Joel "The Process" Embiid rookies are doing terribly great.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Spite posted:

Portland's are better, but they are really trying to give Aminu the nickname Chief for some reason.

He's a descendant of Nigerian kings, hence why that is being applied. It's been around since he started in Portland

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Joel Embiid being nicknamed "The Process" is the best thing to come out of this young season.

Anthony Davis on the Pelicans is the saddest.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Quadrapellegiance posted:

He's a descendant of Nigerian kings, hence why that is being applied. It's been around since he started in Portland

It's been around since he was a rookie in LA or even earlier. I know they called him "Chief" frequently as a NOLA Hornet.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Ostentatious posted:

white people scare me

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kibner posted:

It wasn't until the fourth game in and on his 14th(!) attempt that Buddy hit his first three.

OTOH it took Embiid 3 years. Hang in there kibner

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Demar Derozan is... good? :unsmith:

Wish I wasn't working while the games are on but hey it'll save me some money since I can just get the audio league pass

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Noah looking cooked is like, only the 5th worst thing with the Knicks right now.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Brandon Knight was on the right side of a highlight for once

https://twitter.com/NBATV/status/794030184492105728

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Shear Modulus posted:

I haven't watched any games of last year's lottery teams but from what I hear it seems like none of the non-Joel "The Process" Embiid rookies are doing terribly great.
Malcolm Brogdon owns

Good Work You Get An HIV
Feb 22, 2016

Brian Scalabrine the GOAT is my favorite announcer, although I am a Celtics fan I find that Scalabrine doesn't seem to be that much of a homer. His knowledge of the game is really good to listen to and I sometimes learn something from him.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Blind Pineapple posted:

Joel Embiid being nicknamed "The Process" is the best thing to come out of this young season.

Anthony Davis on the Pelicans is the saddest.

My top 5 best things:
1. Spurs blowing out the Warriors
2. The Russell Westbrook Triple Double Revenge Tour
3. The 3 Alphas' reign of terror
4. Joel "The Process" Embiid
5. The unending ragging on Durant and the Warriors

straight up brolic posted:

Malcolm Brogdon owns

Good to hear.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 3, 2016

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty

Boosh! posted:

Houston is pretty bad too.

I'll contend that they weren't always this bad. In fact, Calvin Murphy had a certain folksy charm, was often critical of Rockets play (and management, which is partly why he's gone) and occasionally offered really good insight about the game.
This is, of course, when he was not busy siring children.

But really, does anyone expect a truly objective home announcer anywhere?

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I think I'm ready for the Westbrookening tonight

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

As someone who has been completely indifferent toward the Rockets my entire life, their team this year is highly entertaining.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Shear Modulus posted:

My top 5 best things:
1. Spurs blowing out the Warriors
2. The Russell Westbrook Triple Double Revenge Tour
3. The 3 Alphas' reign of terror
4. Joel "The Process" Embiid
5. The unending ragging on Durant and the Warriors
6. Harden being the best PG in the league

added 1 to your excellent list

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Despite or because of Westbrook's onslaught OKC has the 3rd worst offense in the league.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
You say 3rd worst, I hear 1st place

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
We might know who the next President is before the Mavs win. :negative:

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I just watched OKC - Clippers. Now I need a shower. Ugh.

Also, I love this so much:

https://twitter.com/netw3rk/status/793967593996615681

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

dokmo posted:

Despite or because of Westbrook's onslaught OKC has the 3rd worst offense in the league.

I think it's because they lost two of their more efficient scores during the offseason

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

troofs posted:

lmao. See, this is a perfect example.

Melo didn't demand a trade at all, it was the Nuggets who really wanted to trade him. He just said he wanted to be a knick once it became obvious that the Nuggets were planning on shipping him off since they didn't want him to walk for nothing. The only other team that the nuggets talked to were the nets and they offered way less than New York, because James Dolan is a loving idiot.

Secondly, that trade lead to the best run of knicks seasons in a decade and have way less to do with the knicks being poo poo than all the draft picks they traded away after that (they traded 2 picks for loving Bargnani in case you forgot) unless you'd really like to sit here and argue how the knicks would be way better off having kept D'antoni and a team of Gallo, Wilson Chandler, Kosta Koufos, Mozgov and Raymond Felton.

Not entirely true. The Lakers' Mitch Kupchak put together a Bynum+picks for Melo deal that Jim Buss blocked (and Buss was probably right).

Rick fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 3, 2016

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Spacebump posted:

We might know who the next President is before the Mavs win. :negative:

:glomp:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Everybody watch tnt today

https://twitter.com/NBAonTNT/status/794241869924409349

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I feel like if the Mavs can't get one at home against the Blazers or Bucks, or against the Lakers, then they are probably not actually a good team even though they don't look bad.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spite posted:

Utah's announcers are super homers. Also I hate Matt Harpring.

Harpring is one of my least favorite jazz players ever and somehow has made me hate him even more since he retired.

That said, almost ever team has at least one giant homer announcer, and I don't really see why that's a bad thing. League Pass is a pretty minor slice of the viewership; its mostly a local product and it's okay to present it as such

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Cleaning up my youtube favourites and everyone remembers Champions, but how many of you guys remember Ron Artest's beautiful tribute to Michael Jackson?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uls787218ew

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Rick posted:

I feel like if the Mavs can't get one at home against the Blazers or Bucks, or against the Lakers, then they are probably not actually a good team even though they don't look bad.

One more loss and it's the worse franchise start ever :negative: To newer NBA fans that might not seem so bad but if you're familiar with the 90s Mavs you understand how awful it really is.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Austin Carr for the Cavs. Cannot, cannot, cannot, cannot, cannot, cannot stand him. And I love the idea of a cantankerous grandpa on commentary, but man oh man do I hate his commentary.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Spacebump posted:

One more loss and it's the worse franchise start ever :negative: To newer NBA fans that might not seem so bad but if you're familiar with the 90s Mavs you understand how awful it really is.

My stepfather was friends with Dick Motta and he got a Mavs pennant signed by the whole team for me during the first year of the three Js but I can't find it anywhere. I'll send it to you if it ever find it, although that may take years

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I much prefer watching homer announcers. They might be bias on calls and such, but they know the team well and can see if something is off with someone. I cant stand national guys who just have to read stats they researched before. They do a good job of it, but it's so mechanical. Homer guys are worth hearing their opinions on how the team is running and better for watching random games during the year.

The Pacers crew arnt huge biased, but Quinn Buckner is that coach that yells from the sideline at everything. "Off left." "Pass to the corner there!" "Oh, that's a foul, he fouled him ref!" "Saw that was short as soon as it left his hand."

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Spacebump posted:

For what it's worth, I have fond memories of the Mashburn/Jackson/Kidd seasons. We shall not mention the years before that though. Dark times. Medieval times.

God, I loved Monster Mash. He dropped 50 on Scottie Pippen and I was the happiest kid in high school.

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRR3Jx8RvoI

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Austin Carr for the Cavs. Cannot, cannot, cannot, cannot, cannot, cannot stand him. And I love the idea of a cantankerous grandpa on commentary, but man oh man do I hate his commentary.

Yeah he's really bad.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

TNT is crazy if they have them live on mic

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Homer announcers are weird coming from Australia where all football games are nationally televised and have neutral announcers. The first Boston game I watched was a real education. I've gotten used to home announcing but I generally prefer the less blatant guys

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Every time announcer chat comes up I just thank my lucky stars that not only is the current Wolves TV broadcast team one of (if not) the best in the league but that in general they've had pretty good ones for my entire fandom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

EoinCannon posted:

Homer announcers are weird coming from Australia where all football games are nationally televised and have neutral announcers. The first Boston game I watched was a real education. I've gotten used to home announcing but I generally prefer the less blatant guys

It helps to think of Boston's homer as an sentient octogenarian pack of cigarettes who happens to be a hall of fame NBA player and coach. He's ridiculous in a ridiculous way

• Locked thread