Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Feral Integral posted:

Eastern/Southen MD is full of rich people and rednecks both of whom like to vote Republican and are mostly out-of-touch and racist

Don't forget the west, which tried to secede a few years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Feldegast42 posted:

Would Superman win against Goku?

Goku wins unless it is Silver Age Superman. SA Superman is crazy overpowered. Basically God.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

ImpAtom posted:

While I don't necessarily disagree with you, it's sort of weird to hold the combined viewpoint of "denigrating labor is bad" and "calling someone a janitor is bad." The only reason the term computer janitor would be insulting is if you consider calling someone a janitor an insult.

(Also speaking as someone who has worked in IT 'computer janitor' isn't an inaccurate description.)

I'm a copy editor and I've been lobbying for awhile to get my official title changed to "Word Janitor".

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Can someone help me out with understanding the impacts of CA Prop 61? If it passes it would cap state agency payments for drugs to what the VA has negotiated with the industry. That sounds nice but I'm concerned companies will just jack up prices on other drugs, or flat-out refuse to meet those conditions, so it ends up restricting patient access. Both sides seem to have supporters that I agree with on other issues. I'm leaning towards No right now over those concerns, what do other CA goons think?

https://ballotpedia.org/California_Proposition_61,_Drug_Price_Standards_(2016)

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Hilary Clinton sleeps nude in an oxygen tent that she believes gives her SEXUAL POWERS.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Feral Integral posted:

If you're not in STEM you probably can't even put bread on the table

Don't people in STEM have robots to serve their food for them?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

sit on my Facebook posted:

+1 for a thousand years of liberal darkness in..... Oklahoma :smith:

Shouting Uselessly Into the Void 2016!

You and me both, friend. Sad Oklahoma democrats represent.

:smith: :respek: :smith:

I'm just glad my long time state house rep is a democrat. It's the one vote I always get to cast that isn't equivalent to mailing my ballot to Santa Claus.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

hey guys i know that trump stands for white nationalism and his supporters are some of the most heavily armed civilians in the world and demographically also are responsible for most mass shootings and terror attacks in america, but i'm voting for jill stein because i just don't trust hillary

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

BlueBlazer posted:

75 SMN/75WHM never waited for a party. Always played during Japanese prime time, You'd level twice as fast because those parties actually know what the f they were doing. (also)(talking)(like)(this)(all the)(time). I truly wish we had this as a universal translator on the net. It would was so awesome to be able to almost natively speak with non-english speaker.

This also led to such classics as (Galka Sausage) (party) (looking for members). :laugh:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

BeanBandit posted:

I've been lurking this thread for a long time now, and I've learned two things: one, people who supported Bernie Sanders in the primaries are misogynists and white supremacists, regardless of how their support shifted after the nomination. Two, anyone who is or was a STEM major is subhuman, worth far less than the energy their bodies will release when incinerated by nuclear fire. It's very important to refer to people who work in IT as "computer janitors" because denigrating labor is a hallmark of progress.

SA liberals own.

Source your quotes.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

Would Superman win against Goku?

The fight would be a tie, but Superman would win the Pulitzer.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Spoondick posted:

hey guys i know that trump stands for white nationalism and his supporters are some of the most heavily armed civilians in the world and also are responsible for most mass shootings and terror attacks in america, but i'm voting for jill stein because i just don't trust hillary

I, too, am also unironically dumb as loving bricks.

I assume you're joking

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Dear STEMlords:

We're all just skilled labor. Just because our field has been hard to automate so far doesn't mean that it's always going to be that way.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

STEMlords don't have that kind of sex appeal. :colbert:

As a noted sex-haver I demand you withdraw that statement.

dem bitches know about my Impact Factor :heysexy:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

canepazzo posted:

Also, REDTUBE (yes, that redtube) held an online poll which was won by Trump 56-42.

What did the crosstabs on this say? I have a feeling a lot of her support came from those who commonly used the "mature" category.

Okay, I'll stop, but this is too funny to me and a goldmine for dumb jokes.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

BeanBandit posted:

I didn't vote for Trump, friend.
Lol if you want me to believe you aren't going to spend your entire life backing whatever white man tells you nothing you dislike about your life is your fault. You came here apparently completely out of the blue to let us all know you're just Feeling So Attacked Right Now because at some unspecified point in the past someone said something critical about polo shirts with backpack strap wrinkles as a lifestyle choice.

Northjayhawk posted:

lol, no. We're goons. While there is a sports forum on SA, its safer to assume something much nerdier than that.

We had pages and pages of a Final Fantasy derail.

Ewww.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

BeanBandit posted:

I've been lurking this thread for a long time now, and I've learned two things: one, people who supported Bernie Sanders in the primaries are misogynists and white supremacists, regardless of how their support shifted after the nomination. Two, anyone who is or was a STEM major is subhuman, worth far less than the energy their bodies will release when incinerated by nuclear fire. It's very important to refer to people who work in IT as "computer janitors" because denigrating labor is a hallmark of progress.

SA liberals own.

If it helps most people on the forum are Bernie supporters (although voting Clinton because shes taken up a lot of his mantle, and uh shes not insane), STEM majors, and IT guys / computer janitors themselves

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

WeAreTheRomans posted:

As a noted sex-haver I demand you withdraw that statement.

dem bitches know about my Impact Factor :heysexy:

It doesn't count when you give them money, bro.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

It was honestly probably the most pleasant discussion one of these threads has had in a while, despite considerable disagreement, really.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
https://twitter.com/samsteinhp/status/794238785823375360

NH is a toss up :whitewater:

I'm officially panicking

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Suffolk NH poll has them tied which matches those other lousy polls today. What the gently caress happened, Hillary was up near double digits for MONTHS there.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
there were a few posts about the Cleveland Racist Mascots vs. the Chicago Adorable Bears, but it was overwhelmingly FF

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

If you think about it we'll all be wiped out by Skynet in a few years so it really doesn't matter how much we make an hour

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Northjayhawk posted:

https://twitter.com/politico/status/794235218148343809

The dread :abuela: approves. You might survive the purge

You should read the article. He's just saying he'll review candidates based on merit instead of rejecting them outright. IE: instead of "we'll ignore any nominee" it'll be "Clinton keeps nominating Constitution hating liebral activist judges so I keep saying no" which will probably play better with people too.

The end result is the exact same thing just with a more palatable phrasing. It's even worked on several goons in this thread going by responses to the article.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Roland Jones posted:

It was honestly probably the most pleasant discussion one of these threads has had in a while, despite considerable disagreement, really.

Okay well if you guys can go off-topic I can too, because I don't want to wait around all day for somebody to say something I can pretend this is a relevant response to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOacUWjHgiE

:allears: White People

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Dear STEMlords:

We're all just skilled labor. Just because our field has been hard to automate so far doesn't mean that it's always going to be that way.

Nothing is going to always be some way. What's your point?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

It doesn't count when you give them money, bro.

actually true if you're talking about journal publications

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Looks like Bugs Bunny better start sharpening his saw, better get out while you can NH goons because we need to excise the cancer.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Does a PhD in Psychology make me a STEMlord?

I do cognition and computational memory modelling if that helps. Just never sure if 'social sciences' were included under the STEM umbrella.

Edit: If so I'm one of the former Bernie supporters who would vote for the Dread Abuela. But I'm Canadian, sorry guys.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
As someone who's been writing software professionally for ~14 years I can confirm a majority of it is janitorial type work of connecting Tab A into Slot B like it tells you to in the manual. It might seem fancy and cerebral to an outsider who isn't familiar with the tools and concepts and so on, but we have to engage our brains a similar amount of time to any other profession. Once you're no longer entry level, most of what you do is solve problems you've experienced before, it's just that can manifest in a million different variations.

Though plumber would be a way more accurate comparison than janitor IMO

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

BeanBandit posted:

It's very important to refer to people who work in IT as "computer janitors" because denigrating labor is a hallmark of progress.

SA liberals own.

As a computer janitor. People who do the work I do need to harden the gently caress up. Our jobs are fairly piss easy, and we aren't special because we got picked on in high school and enjoy programming micro-controllers in our spare time.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Okay well if you guys can go off-topic I can too, because I don't want to wait around all day for somebody to say something I can pretend this is a relevant response to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOacUWjHgiE

:allears: White People

this absolutely requires the posting of a classic goon parody by posting superstar Ruddiger (IIRC?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb_IQA9Zbow

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

FactsAreUseless posted:

STEMLord is a supervillain who couldn't get a job with his Botany degree and also can control plants with his brain.

He was also a miniboss in Parasite Eve 2.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Who is Sam Stein?

Also, how important is NH?

Also, is there early voting in NH?

Also,

JVNO posted:

Does a PhD in Psychology make me a STEMlord?

I do cognition and computational memory modelling if that helps. Just never sure if 'social sciences' were included under the STEM umbrella.

STEMLords hate any degree that's not either a field of engineering or computer science or a hard science.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

The voiceover reminded me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udtEgf3PYO8&t=22s

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

NH is going to be this election's Florida circa 2000

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
NH Polls are depressing. Basically any place with white people is bad.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Covok posted:

STEMLords hate any degree that's not either a field of engineering or computer science or a hard science.

So psychological scientists needn't apply, even though we're typically amazing at computer programming and modelling?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Feral Integral posted:

Nothing is going to always be some way. What's your point?

STEM grads have a nasty habit of screeching about how anyone who didn't get a STEM degree has a low IQ and deserves any labor abuse that happens to them because survival of the fittest. If you can't see why it's relevant to point out to people who do that sort of thing that they aren't immune to misfortune I bet there's a lot of points you miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

JVNO posted:

So psychological scientists needn't apply, even though we're typically amazing at computer programming and modelling?

Don't look at me, I'm an accountant. I'm just telling you what STEMLords think.

• Locked thread