Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Trust the latino voters, they are bringing it home for us. There shall be no wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Okay well if you guys can go off-topic I can too, because I don't want to wait around all day for somebody to say something I can pretend this is a relevant response to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOacUWjHgiE

:allears: White People

I have no objections to this.

This post, I mean. What happens in the video, well.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Lol if you want me to believe you aren't going to spend your entire life backing whatever white man tells you nothing you dislike about your life is your fault. You came here apparently completely out of the blue to let us all know you're just Feeling So Attacked Right Now because at some unspecified point in the past someone said something critical about polo shirts with backpack strap wrinkles as a lifestyle choice.

Wow, ouch, this stings irl.

Bhaal posted:

As someone who's been writing software professionally for ~14 years I can confirm a majority of it is janitorial type work of connecting Tab A into Slot B like it tells you to in the manual. It might seem fancy and cerebral to an outsider who isn't familiar with the tools and concepts and so on, but we have to engage our brains a similar amount of time to any other profession. Once you're no longer entry level, most of what you do is solve problems you've experienced before, it's just that can manifest in a million different variations.

Though plumber would be a way more accurate comparison than janitor IMO

Yeah this sounds about right. A lot of things could theoretically be done by automation, but software lends itself to licensing middleware for a huge amount of the non-unique work, and it's putting together different things with similar pieces, with all that says for career field longevity.

STEM grads have a nasty habit of screeching about how anyone who didn't get a STEM degree has a low IQ and deserves any labor abuse that happens to them because survival of the fittest. If you can't see why it's relevant to point out to people who do that sort of thing that they aren't immune to misfortune I bet there's a lot of points you miss.

Yeah, this is an annoying thing and why I never actually identify with my degree in a positive sense, because screw the people who try to use it to get off on other people's suffering.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 3, 2016

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

And yet Nevada is getting close to "statistically impossible to lose", the polls from major pollsters are looking just fine, and a recent Florida poll (admittedly, not from a well known pollster) show it majorly breaking Clinton's way.

All will be well.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
True STEMness comes from within. It doesn't require any fancy degrees, or even any real interest in science. Watching animes is preferred though

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Chard posted:

Can someone help me out with understanding the impacts of CA Prop 61? If it passes it would cap state agency payments for drugs to what the VA has negotiated with the industry. That sounds nice but I'm concerned companies will just jack up prices on other drugs, or flat-out refuse to meet those conditions, so it ends up restricting patient access. Both sides seem to have supporters that I agree with on other issues. I'm leaning towards No right now over those concerns, what do other CA goons think?

https://ballotpedia.org/California_Proposition_61,_Drug_Price_Standards_(2016)

I voted for the one that had less drug companies money for it so yes

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I will be smug as gently caress if FL goes blue and NH goes red.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm looking forward to the Jetson's future Silicon Valley libertarians have promised where every job is automated so I only have to work a few hours a week then come home to my awesome sky mansion and robot maid.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

theflyingorc posted:

And yet Nevada is getting close to "statistically impossible to lose", the polls from major pollsters are looking just fine, and a recent Florida poll (admittedly, not from a well known pollster) show it majorly breaking Clinton's way.

All will be well.

What about 538 which shows all those states getting redder

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

True STEMness comes from within. It doesn't require any fancy degrees, or even any real interest in science. Watching animes is preferred though

Moe or non-moe?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm pretty confident FL will go blue. Same with NC. Particularly since there is at least some evidence Ross is surpassing Burr in the Senate race there.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
What's the origin of the 'dread abuela' thing?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

JVNO posted:

So psychological scientists needn't apply, even though we're typically amazing at computer programming and modelling?

My girlfriend does way more complicated programming than I do by multiple orders of magnitude and has a PhD in her field. She's never taken calculus.

HOWEVER, I HAVE AN ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING DEGREE AND MUST BE CODDLED AT ALL HOURS OF THE DAY BUT I'VE TAKEN 3 YEARS OF CALCULUS AND DIFF EQS AND LINEAR ALGEBRA, I AM CLEARLY THE SMARTER ONE.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

538 does not take early voting information into account.

edit: it is likely that half of Florida has already voted, and there are signs that it has gone strongly for Hillary.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Yeah, not gonna lie, New Hampshire is a bit concerning for me right now

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Oh, Jesus Christ.

'The FBI is Trumpland': Anti-Clinton Atmosphere Spurred Leaks, Sources Say

quote:

Deep antipathy to Hillary Clinton exists within the FBI, multiple bureau sources have told the Guardian, spurring a rapid series of leaks damaging to her campaign just days before the election.

Current and former FBI officials, none of whom were willing or cleared to speak on the record, have described a chaotic internal climate that resulted from outrage over director James Comey’s July decision not to recommend an indictment over Clinton’s maintenance of a private email server on which classified information transited.

“The FBI is Trumpland,” said one current agent.

This atmosphere raises major questions about how Comey and the bureau he is slated to run for the next seven years can work with Clinton should she win the White House.

The currently serving FBI agent said Clinton is “the antichrist personified to a large swath of FBI personnel,” and that “the reason why they’re leaking is they’re pro-Trump.”

The agent called the bureau “Trumplandia,” with some colleagues openly discussing voting for a GOP nominee who has garnered unprecedented condemnation from the party’s national security wing and who has pledged to jail Clinton if elected.

At the same time, other sources dispute the depth of support for Trump within the bureau, though they uniformly stated that Clinton is viewed highly unfavorably.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

Listen, we've all accepted a Trump victory long ago. We're just deluding ourselves as we file out our immigration forms for Canada. Got to leave now before the camps open up and the border wall is built.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Lemming posted:

I voted for the one that had less drug companies money for it so yes

Yeah, in most cases that would be pretty clear cut for me as well. I just think it lacks teeth - if pharmaceuticals decide not to play ball there's not much the state can do about it

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I don't remember this Final Fantasy.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
So I know most people here hate The Economist but they just endorsed HRC and holy loving poo poo at this :iceburn: on Trump:

The Economist posted:

We would sooner have endorsed Richard Nixon—even had we known how he would later come to grief.
http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21709540-why-we-would-cast-our-hypothetical-vote-hillary-clinton-americas-best-hope

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Lol if you want me to believe you aren't going to spend your entire life backing whatever white man tells you nothing you dislike about your life is your fault. You came here apparently completely out of the blue to let us all know you're just Feeling So Attacked Right Now because at some unspecified point in the past someone said something critical about polo shirts with backpack strap wrinkles as a lifestyle choice.
You've managed to invent a lot of things that I have never thought or believed.

For what it's worth, I'm not white. I don't know you or your struggles, but I will say that I am acutely aware of discrimination. My earlier post may have been very snarky, but I do sincerely wish that we as liberals could stop tearing each other apart just because we supported a candidate that was only 80% of what we wanted instead of 85%. I wish we could stop being assholes to workers who have a passion for a particular field of study and now want to work in that field to support our families and live comfortably. :(

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
"If you don't work in STEM you are a worthless subhuman who contributes nothing to society and should literally starve"

*Bases entire social life and personality on consumption of pop culture*

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

STEM grads have a nasty habit of screeching about how anyone who didn't get a STEM degree has a low IQ and deserves any labor abuse that happens to them because survival of the fittest. If you can't see why it's relevant to point out to people who do that sort of thing that they aren't immune to misfortune I bet there's a lot of points you miss.

I mean you could just go get a STEM degree yourself and maybe you wouldn't be so easily riled up by your own projections on others.

It really is good money

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Yeah I think might be finally time to purge the FBI and CIA. gently caress 'em.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They say it may not be pro-Trump, but clearly it is anti-Hillary and they want her out.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Screwing with the election aside it's incredibly concerning that so much of our law enforcement is apparently all in on white supremacy even at the Federal Level.

Trade Chat Troll
Jan 22, 2010
Shook Nate was right!

:derp::derp::derp:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Two words on NH: white people.

NH's deal is educated suburbanish white people, and it looks like they have mysteriously forgotten all the heinous poo poo about Trump in the last fortnight and have talked themselves into supporting him over not voting/Johnsoning.

If this happens in VA and CO too, that might be a worry.

sumie
Mar 29, 2006
GUERNSEY (adj.)

Queasy but umbowed. The kind of feeling one gets when discovering a
plastic compartment in a fridge in which thing are growing.

theflyingorc posted:

538 does not take early voting information into account.

edit: it is likely that half of Florida has already voted, and there are signs that it has gone strongly for Hillary.

Also, doesn't their model assume correlation between states - if one gets redder it tends to assume the rest would follow?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

BeanBandit posted:

You've managed to invent a lot of things that I have never thought or believed.

For what it's worth, I'm not white. I don't know you or your struggles, but I will say that I am acutely aware of discrimination. My earlier post may have been very snarky, but I do sincerely wish that we as liberals could stop tearing each other apart just because we supported a candidate that was only 80% of what we wanted instead of 85%. I wish we could stop being assholes to workers who have a passion for a particular field of study and now want to work in that field to support our families and live comfortably. :(

Lmao @ u.

BRING ME AN UNDERWATER BASKETWEAVING UNDERGRAD TO LOOK DOWN UPON FROM MY THRONE OF OLD PENTIUM 4 DELL TOWERS

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Honestly as a software engineer I'm constantly stressed. I feel like the industry is evolving faster than I can and I year by year get less qualified for new jobs, with little time to train and learn the things I need to know. And my heart isn't in it. I wish I had a degree in history or literature. But I don't have the time or money for that. I'm well off and have many advantages, but I have real trouble giving up any family time.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Radish posted:

I'm looking forward to the Jetson's future Silicon Valley libertarians have promised where every job is automated so I only have to work a few hours a week then come home to my awesome sky mansion and robot maid.

This'd be super cool if we could you know actually make a welfare state that works rather than jerking ourselves off about being a slightly more useful cog in the machine that will get replaced a bit later.

Covok posted:

Moe or non-moe?

Larry preferred, Shemp acceptable as well.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Radish posted:

Though keep in mind they had those skymansions because the ground was a hopelessly air-pollution filled hellscape :eng101:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Phone posted:

My girlfriend does way more complicated programming than I do by multiple orders of magnitude and has a PhD in her field. She's never taken calculus.

HOWEVER, I HAVE AN ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING DEGREE AND MUST BE CODDLED AT ALL HOURS OF THE DAY BUT I'VE TAKEN 3 YEARS OF CALCULUS AND DIFF EQS AND LINEAR ALGEBRA, I AM CLEARLY THE SMARTER ONE.

What kind of math-challenged person takes 3 years to get through calculus anyway? ;)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hi,

I hold an advanced degree in physics, and I'm no different from the rest of you.

What the gently caress is all this dunking on people with technical degrees?

Yours in Christ,
Potato Salad

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Okay well if you guys can go off-topic I can too, because I don't want to wait around all day for somebody to say something I can pretend this is a relevant response to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOacUWjHgiE

:allears: White People

.... they took two different things, mashed them together and came up with something not as good as either.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Cops support Donald Trump? This is my surprised face: :geno:

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Covok posted:

Listen, we've all accepted a Trump victory long ago. We're just deluding ourselves as we file out our immigration forms for Canada. Got to leave now before the camps open up and the border wall is built.

This but unironically.

She hasn't lost yet but pretending there isn't a major major major chance of that happening is loving weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
There is just zero chance that Biden or Bernie would be losing NH. Hillary Clinton is uniquely hated.

• Locked thread