Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

good nate: still good
https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/790749244332335108

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I have to say, I really like the article they put together about why their model hasn't counted Trump out yet.

Seems kinda reasonable, and it's pretty funny how changing any of their assumptions leads them to look more like the various other pollsters out there.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-why-our-model-is-more-bullish-than-others-on-trump/

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
In his latest article Nate calls Anthony Weiner "tragicomic," which I appreciate.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nate Silver:

Thus, as of early Monday evening, our polls-only model gave Hillary Clinton an 85 percent chance of winning the popular vote but just a 75 percent chance of winning the Electoral College. There’s roughly a 10 percent chance of Trump’s winning the White House while losing the popular vote, in other words.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

so

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004
The more I watch 538 the more I think it is just an awful model. Just way too conservative with some of its numbers. Okay, sure Florida/NC/AZ are 50%, that's fine.

But how the gently caress is Virginia 85% a week before the election when it looks like this:

IMO, the best method is just use state polls for that state. Then maybe slightly modify based on national polls, but I'd lean towards just ignoring them too. If we are trying to figure out how Virginians are voting, adding in any data based on how people are voting outside of Virginia is just noise.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

poppingseagull posted:

The more I watch 538 the more I think it is just an awful model. Just way too conservative with some of its numbers. Okay, sure Florida/NC/AZ are 50%, that's fine.

But how the gently caress is Virginia 85% a week before the election when it looks like this:

IMO, the best method is just use state polls for that state. Then maybe slightly modify based on national polls, but I'd lean towards just ignoring them too. If we are trying to figure out how Virginians are voting, adding in any data based on how people are voting outside of Virginia is just noise.
I think they're overdoing it on state-by-state correlations and probably on their 'momentum' trackers.

I suppose time will tell though?

plasticowlmachine
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
six days until the election, 538 has Delaware with an 89% chance of going blue. No one else has it below 99%. "Conservative" is one word for this

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, take a look at Colorado, where it's been almost a month since a poll hit that showed Trump with a lead yet they give him a one in four shot of winning there.

I can't shake the feeling that this is mirroring what we saw in 2012, where the national polls showed a tighter race than the state polls, and the state polls turned out to be accurate.

Also, I think I ranted about their percentages earlier in this thread, so I won't rehash, but I'm from rural Minnesota, and I follow politics here closely, and the idea that Trump has a 1 in 6 shot here is laughable. There hasn't been a single poll taken at any point that's shown him with a lead, and just one from the end of September that showed a tie (which 538 adjusts to +1 Clinton). Their vote share shows Hillary nearly at 50%, and with a 5.6% advantage. How that, with 6 days to go in the election transaltes to a 1 in 6 chance of Trump winning is beyond me.

The same argument could be made on the other side for Georgia with the Democrats. 538 gives Clinton about a 1 in 6 chance of carrying Georgia, yet Trump is over 50% in their projected vote share with a 5.2% advantage.

Is it impossible for Trump to win Minnesota or for Clinton to win Georgia? No, but each state would need to move by a percentage point in the polls each day from now until election day for it just to be a tossup. And 538 is saying there's a 1 in 6 chance of that happening.

I like the way that they present their data, and I like their pollster adjustments, but their percentages are just pants-on-head stupid.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, take a look at Colorado, where it's been almost a month since a poll hit that showed Trump with a lead yet they give him a one in four shot of winning there.
It's because they are looking at the movement of all the deep Red hellholes bordering Colorado. Which, yes, state lines are basically permeable and imaginary. But polls of people within those states are not imaginary. If you have every poll in Colorado showing Clinton winning, people are not going to cross the border from Wyoming to flip the state red.

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004
And it is important to note that yes, this happens both ways. As Azathoth said, Georgia is the same way in reverse as Virginia/Colorado/Minnesota.

That said, they don't cancel each other out when we look at the overall odds of the election. Having more certainty with the current state alignment directly corresponds to more certainty in a Clinton win.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
The biggest issue this year: the quality of polling has been atrocious. There has been fewer overall polls, and also fewer quality polls. For 538's model, that's going to be disastrous.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Concerned Citizen posted:

The biggest issue this year: the quality of polling has been atrocious. There has been fewer overall polls, and also fewer quality polls. For 538's model, that's going to be disastrous.

nate's lovely model cant fail, it can only be failed (by polls)

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

imo the lesson to learn from this year's 538 is that glorifying predictions and turning them into pseudo-journalism media sites is not a good idea.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

poppingseagull posted:

And it is important to note that yes, this happens both ways. As Azathoth said, Georgia is the same way in reverse as Virginia/Colorado/Minnesota.

That said, they don't cancel each other out when we look at the overall odds of the election. Having more certainty with the current state alignment directly corresponds to more certainty in a Clinton win.

A lot of 538's assumptions about shifts in state-level polling also seem to be based on their past correspondence to one another demographically, whereas this could be the start of a realigning election that leapfrogs the traditional balance of red/blue states relative to the mean. So even though in the past OH and IA have been more favorable to Democrats than NC, the new partisan split we're seeing between college degree + non-college degree upsets that relationship in a way where it's hard to make a correlative statement between them.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Our Election Model

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My election model is Charlotte McKinney

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

An Open Letter to White Girls Regarding Pumpkin Spice and Cultural Appropriation

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/793892208713854977

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

God bless you, Harry Enten. I hope you can still find work after this election. Maybe Sam Wang will take you in.

Samuel Clemens has issued a correction as of 23:44 on Nov 2, 2016

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

dwarf74 posted:

It's because they are looking at the movement of all the deep Red hellholes bordering Colorado. Which, yes, state lines are basically permeable and imaginary. But polls of people within those states are not imaginary. If you have every poll in Colorado showing Clinton winning, people are not going to cross the border from Wyoming to flip the state red.
It's all just endemic of their problem with garbage-tier polls. For the few times that a poll in a seemingly non-competitive state gives something truly insightful or interesting, like McMuffin in Utah or Trump's surprising weakness in Texas, it's just total noise they're dealing with the rest of the time.

It would make far, far more sense to build a model based on heavily polled swing states and use that to infer what is happening in non-competitive states than to try to infer a swing state shift that isn't happening in the polls from a random poll of a noncompetitive state.

The few times when a new state legit gets put in play, like Arizona or Utah, then add them back in as "in play" or something, instead of pretending that a poll in North Dakota has any relevance to a competitive state.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

538s whole model is built on the polls being terrible. They're going to have the least egg on their face of anyone if there is a massive polling failure.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Azathoth posted:

It's all just endemic of their problem with garbage-tier polls. For the few times that a poll in a seemingly non-competitive state gives something truly insightful or interesting, like McMuffin in Utah or Trump's surprising weakness in Texas, it's just total noise they're dealing with the rest of the time.

It would make far, far more sense to build a model based on heavily polled swing states and use that to infer what is happening in non-competitive states than to try to infer a swing state shift that isn't happening in the polls from a random poll of a noncompetitive state.

The few times when a new state legit gets put in play, like Arizona or Utah, then add them back in as "in play" or something, instead of pretending that a poll in North Dakota has any relevance to a competitive state.

so basically Sam Wang's model?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Bip Roberts posted:

538s whole model is built on the polls being terrible. They're going to have the least egg on their face of anyone if there is a massive polling failure.

It's hard to have a massive polling failure when the polls are flailing wildly from one place to another. How 538 interprets that is on them.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

It's hard to have a massive polling failure when the polls are flailing wildly from one place to another. How 538 interprets that is on them.

And yet Wang's model is converging at a very reasonable EV number based on what we've seen so far.

I mean if Princeton is wildly off in the end I'll come back in here and eat my crow but the simpler explanation is that Nate's model this time around blows and people still feel a need to white knight it

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

And yet Wang's model is converging at a very reasonable EV number based on what we've seen so far.

I mean if Princeton is wildly off in the end I'll come back in here and eat my crow but the simpler explanation is that Nate's model this time around blows and people still feel a need to white knight it

What is Wang's model saying about Florida and North Carolina? Ohio and Iowa? Seems like there's still a lot of EV to give in either direction, just not enough for Trump to win.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Vox Nihili posted:

What is Wang's model saying about Florida and North Carolina? Ohio and Iowa? Seems like there's still a lot of EV to give in either direction, just not enough for Trump to win.

leans dem, leans dem, leans repub, repub (iirc)

his 75% strike zone is 320 or so iirc but I'm on my phone and too lazy to check. just Google Sam Wang and click the first link or w/e

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Vox Nihili posted:

Sam Wang has Clinton winning NC and FL, losing OH, and IA is a tossup.

Clinton win probability 97%. 320 EV median I think. It's been there since the first debate. It never dipped below 80% even at the worst point in September.

The Whole Internet has issued a correction as of 02:09 on Nov 3, 2016

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Can we all at least agree that Farai Chideya is the best writer on 538

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/730251094614528000

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The Whole Internet posted:

so basically Sam Wang's model?
Yeah, I'm coming around to his model, though I still won't sleep well until November 9.

Tayter Swift posted:

Can we all at least agree that Farai Chideya is the best writer on 538

Agreed.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Wow, it turns out hey do have standards.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/pollster-ratings/

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

drat he's good

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004
The supposed unreactionary polls-plus model has dropped 15% in a week. At this I'm hoping it shows a Trump W on election day just so 538 will truly be shamed.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

poppingseagull posted:

The supposed unreactionary polls-plus model has dropped 15% in a week. At this I'm hoping it shows a Trump W on election day just so 538 will truly be shamed.

go read the articles about how polls-plus works. no need to report back, either

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

is there any way to see what 538 would say if they took the polls at face value and didn't reweight/unskew them? I think it's interesting how adamant people like Sam Wang are about how you shouldn't second guess the pollster's methods.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

:stonk:

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
we need a custom smilie of a shaking nate silver head imo

poppingseagull
Apr 12, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

go read the articles about how polls-plus works. no need to report back, either

Where do I find said articles? I am only going off what Nate himself said on one of the podcasts I've listened to where he described the models. He said the polls-plus is the least reactionary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

poppingseagull posted:

Where do I find said articles? I am only going off what Nate himself said on one of the podcasts I've listened to where he described the models. He said the polls-plus is the least reactionary.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-users-guide-to-fivethirtyeights-2016-general-election-forecast/

Presumably what that poster meant is that all of 538's models are, at this point, going to be converging on the behavior of their now-cast and weighting new information much more heavily. If there's significantly divergent behavior between the three models over the next few days, it's a sign there's something wrong with one of them.

• Locked thread