Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

AVS:

Pro: Out now
Pro: Cheaper of the two at $185
Con?: Max resolution is 720p
Pro or Con depending on your needs: Uses USB for power
Con: No controllers, you're expected to already have one.

FPGA core developed by bunnyboy, depends if you care or not.

Analogue NT Mini:

Con: Won't be out until Jan 2017
Con: More expensive of the two at $449
Pro: 1080p output on HDMI due to higher end FPGA
Pro: If HDMI is not your thing, you can use RGB/S-Video/Composite :psyduck: instead.
Pro: Comes with an 8bitdo NES controller with wireless receiver
Pro: Aluminium looks cool I guess?
Pro: Proper EDID support. Kevtris was kind of a stickler for this.

FPGA core developed by Kevtris, creator of the Hi-Def NES board the NT uses as its base.

Between the two they have most of the same features and accessory support from what I can tell.

A Framemeister would do nothing for you with either system or modding your NES/Famicom with a Hi-Def NES board. They were intended to be used directly with the TV though with the NT's RGB support you could still use a Framemeister if you wanted to.

The AVS using usb for power means you can plug it into the wall, or into something with a USB port. I don't know enough to know why that would be really a pro or con, or just a thing.
I bought an early AVS and the power jack wasn't properly attached to the board. I'm hearing that a batch of them weren't properly epoxied or something. I've got to send mine back and bunnyboy is going to replace or fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

cosmicjim posted:

The AVS using usb for power means you can plug it into the wall, or into something with a USB port. I don't know enough to know why that would be really a pro or con, or just a thing.
I bought an early AVS and the power jack wasn't properly attached to the board. I'm hearing that a batch of them weren't properly epoxied or something. I've got to send mine back and bunnyboy is going to replace or fix it.

Depending on your needs is probably the wrong statement and is probably a bit of my bias showing. I don't like mini USB for such a critical thing. It bugged the poo poo out of me that he went with mini instead of micro. There are reasons why it got left in the dust.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I feel like once the mini nes comes out and those sweet wii compatible nes controllers hit the market, a modded wii will be back on top as far as nes emulation is concerned. Nes on the wii is super solid, not to mention SNES, Genesis, etc, and the component out looks great.

I guess I don't get spending $500 on an aluminum nes emulator when you can get one at GameStop for $65 that also plays wii and GameCube games.

But that's me :corsair:

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 2, 2016

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Because NES games on any of the three VC platforms looks bad? They're all blurry and washed out for some reason.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Not VC, emulated on a softmodded wii. They look like they should when you do that

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I feel like once the mini nes comes out and those sweet wii compatible nes controllers hit the market, a modded wii will be back on top as far as nes emulation is concerned. Nes on the wii is super solid, not to mention SNES, Genesis, etc, and the component out looks great.

I guess I don't get spending $500 on an aluminum nes emulator when you can get one at GameStop for $65 that also plays wii and GameCube games.

But that's me :corsair:

Good luck if you didn't manage to preorder a second controller already, because those things are gone. Even the recent final batch of preorders were just for the console.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

analogue is a pretty douchey company and their products are overpriced by a whole lot and hideously ugly

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

You could just buy a wii right now and use the 8bitdo controller right now. Why wait for anything. Also likely just as expensive as the nes classic but has more games.

The main reason I was asking about nes consoles out there because I already have a library of 100 physical nes games.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Good news if you want a Famicom Mini but lamented the lack of Famicom Disk System Mini to accompany it, turns out there is a box theory.

Even includes the warning sticks to put on your Famicom Mini to complete the original look.

972 yen, selling like hotcakes because of course.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
drat it I was hoping that was real and used a non-garbage belt so I could rip it out and put it in my twin fami :smith:

still cute though

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

univbee posted:

Good news if you want a Famicom Mini but lamented the lack of Famicom Disk System Mini to accompany it, turns out there is a box theory.

972 yen, selling like hotcakes because of course.
Actual product link

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Ineffiable posted:

The main reason I was asking about nes consoles out there because I already have a library of 100 physical nes games.

If you already have a framemeister I wouldn't bother with the AVS or NT.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Of course, with the Framemeister you still need some type of RGB mod for your NES/Famicom to make the games look presentable, and that can get expensive especially if you choose to buy a pre-modded system and/or live in the backwoods of Europe. The NT, like other Analogue products, is obviously a complete ripoff aimed at people with more money than sense, but the AVS seems like it might be a decent-ish option.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah I forgot about the rgb mod. That's probably the way to go for me.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah I forgot about the rgb mod. That's probably the way to go for me.

If you still want to do HDMI, the Hi-Def NES mod is about the same difficulty as the NESRGB. I say that because even though it's less wiring than the NESRGB but you not only have to desolder the PPU, but the CPU as well. As long as you have the right tools, it's not bad.

https://youtu.be/bVq1vwZvWq8

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Yeah they are about the same difficulty, just more desoldering work for the HDMI kit. The real issue with the HDMI mod is unless you already have a kit, there's a 2-3 month wait time to buy one. They are just finishing up testing a batch that was pre-ordered back between June and September, and they look like they be delivered in the next couple weeks or so. The NESRGB can be ordered from a US store and will ship to your door in less than a week: http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=207&rn=536&action=show_detail

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I just bought a Master System. I have officially bought an old games console. I need to do some serious cleaning work on it though, and find some new cables since the ones it came with are kinda terrible.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is there any relatively reasonable way to play Famicom games on a front-loading NES? I have an adapter thing that works, but because it's so short it's a gigantic pain in the rear end getting the cartridge into and out of the NES. There's no real pressing need or desire for me to be honest other than to be able to say I can play Japanese cartridges on all my retro systems.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Is there any relatively reasonable way to play Famicom games on a front-loading NES? I have an adapter thing that works, but because it's so short it's a gigantic pain in the rear end getting the cartridge into and out of the NES. There's no real pressing need or desire for me to be honest other than to be able to say I can play Japanese cartridges on all my retro systems.

If you have an extra dollar/euro or two, get an AV Famicom. You can also use an adapter for US games much easier since it's a top loader. Using a converter on a front loading system is a real PITA no matter how you look at it.

And then you'll naturally want it RGB modded as well. Welcome to the rabbit hole.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Monitor Burn posted:

Yeah they are about the same difficulty, just more desoldering work for the HDMI kit. The real issue with the HDMI mod is unless you already have a kit, there's a 2-3 month wait time to buy one. They are just finishing up testing a batch that was pre-ordered back between June and September, and they look like they be delivered in the next couple weeks or so. The NESRGB can be ordered from a US store and will ship to your door in less than a week: http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=207&rn=536&action=show_detail

Yeah and I have no skills so I would rather just pay you for it and be done with it. Snes and n64 already have rgb mods so it's just my nes that's left out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Won't famicom games work in an nes when put thru a game genie? Or am I misremembering that?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

Not sure if your converter has this, but ones from when the NES was still current had a ribbon for pulling the converter and attached cartridge out.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Won't famicom games work in an nes when put thru a game genie? Or am I misremembering that?

The pin converter would definitely still be required, but might be easier to deal with with a Game Genie.

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Nov 3, 2016

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rirse posted:

When does Dragon Quest VIII come out in the US?

3DS release date just got confirmed for January 20th.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That actually might be a great idea, I already have a GG with a ribbon cut a little bit so that it works with my BLW mod. Only downside is that the few times I've tested it it hasn't worked when I actually try to input a cheat; maybe as a simple passive passthrough it will though?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, hitting start without entering a code will just play the game as normal iirc

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah, hitting start without entering a code will just play the game as normal iirc

The only game I can remember this not being the case for is Mega Man 2. Codes or no, putting MM2 in the Game Genie means hitting mute on the TV.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Did anyone figure out what hardware the NES Mini thingy is using? When it was announced the first thing I thought as that they would repurpose a 2DS or Wii PCB to do the thing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Saoshyant posted:

Did anyone figure out what hardware the NES Mini thingy is using? When it was announced the first thing I thought as that they would repurpose a 2DS or Wii PCB to do the thing.

One of the Tested guys was in the Giant Bomb quick look saying its a single custom board. As far as I've seen though no-one's done a full breakdown of it yet though.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Saoshyant posted:

It's a completely custom setup, though apparently it's got a lot of open source stuff running on whatever their board is.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Weird they would make a custom board just to run an emulator, but guess that's rather Nintendo of them.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Weird they would make a custom board just to run an emulator, but guess that's rather Nintendo of them.

Probably to avoid any emulation inconsistencies or perhaps input lag?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I had it expected it to be a torn open Wii Mini

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Every manufactured thing will have a custom board. I'm sure it's just some emulated nonsense like everything else, that's the only way it's profitable.

Edit: it says R16 on it right?

https://liliputing.com/2016/08/allwinner-launches-new-quad-core-octa-core-chips-r16-r40-r58.html

"The Allwinner R16 is positioned as a low-cost solution for IoT applications, with support for Android or Linux-based software."

falz fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 4, 2016

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wii production stopped in late 2013, so it's probably just as cheap and easy to design a new board from scratch (and take advantage of any new or improved capabilities that might be on offer) as it would be to try and restart the whole supply and manufacturing chain for the Wii line (which may not be possible).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Wii production stopped in late 2013, so it's probably just as cheap and easy to design a new board from scratch (and take advantage of any new or improved capabilities that might be on offer) as it would be to try and restart the whole supply and manufacturing chain for the Wii line (which may not be possible).

Kinda sad that Wii production ran for 7 years but Wii U production only ran 4 years.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Not too surprising, considering one console was an incredible success and the other was an incredible flop, even irrespective of its immediate predecessor being the aforementioned incredible success.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I really doubt nintendo had much to do with the creation of that thing beyond game selection and marketing/branding. iirc it was designed by sone european company, which is really obvious when you look at it's very un-nintendo menu interface

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Saoshyant posted:

It looks pretty barebones, and was probably pretty easy for them to throw together. I see what looks like the SOC (CPU, A/V, I/O, etc.), RAM, flash ROM, and a PMIC (for dealing with DC power).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shadow Hog posted:

Not too surprising, considering one console was an incredible success and the other was an incredible flop, even irrespective of its immediate predecessor being the aforementioned incredible success.

Even still, GameCube was the worst selling Nintendo console until the Wii U, and that still managed to be in official production for 6 years (production halted the year after the Wii released).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Is it kosher to discuss getting games running in RetroPie here?

• Locked thread