Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jewel Repetition posted:

Anyone got a good cornbread recipe? The one I've been using is from a book from the 60s and it's dry and bland.

Things that will make your cornbread better
Replace the milk with the same amount of canned creamed corn.
Do more like 1:1 cornmeal to white flour (lots of recipes call for 2:1).
In spite of being southern, I like brown sugar in mine.
Up the butter a TBs every batch until you hit where you like it.
Cast iron coated inside with fat of your choice, toss it in the oven while it preheats. Your batter should sizzle like a pancake when you pour it in. Shortening is good for this if you're doing sweet, but bacon fat is great if you're doing a savory or hot bread with chili peppers.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Also see if you can find stone ground cornmeal with the germ/bran part included. It'll increase your flavor and sweetness, also see if you can find one of the heritage varieties of corn, I hear they're better in terms of flavor as well.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Jewel Repetition posted:

Anyone got a good cornbread recipe? The one I've been using is from a book from the 60s and it's dry and bland.

Recipe I use that some goon posted years ago:

Use either 2 cups cornmeal or a mix of 1.5 to .5 cornmeal to wheat flour. Add a half teaspoon baking soda, teaspoon baking powder, teaspoon salt, and mix well. Crack in an egg and enough buttermilk to make a thick batter. Mix well. Get the oven to 425, and get a cast iron skillet hot. Put in a lot of bacon grease or lard and melt, then pour in your batter. Even it out, then into the oven for 20 minutes to half an hour, or when the top is brown and a toothpick in the middle comes out clean.

If you can get water ground cornmeal it will make the cornbread even better.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Huxley posted:

Shortening is good for this if you're doing sweet, but bacon fat is great if you're doing a savory or hot bread with chili peppers.

I like to use bacon fat even with a sweet cornbread, gives it a nice savory punch.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Jewel Repetition posted:

I like this one a lot: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/moist-and-tender-brown-butter-cornbread-recipe.html

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Does anyone have a good whole wheat bread recipe that doesn't involve a starter/levain?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The restaurant depot near me now stocks king arthur patent flour. It's unbleached and unbromated but it's got barley or something in it. What's that about

I tried ordering my flour this last round from sysco and they hosed up and sent me high gluten unbleached but bromated gold medal full strength pizza flour instead. I've actually had great results so far and I think I prefer the texture of my sourdough with it, but apparently bromated is bad? What's the practical difference w/ bromated vs non?

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 1, 2016

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Just took Ken Forkish's saturday white wheat loaf out of the oven and cut into the one that was cooling. Wow is it good. really soft but such a wonder flavor, and that crust has been quite crusty. Pretty simple I'm sure, but highly recommended.

http://www.karenskitchenstories.com/2013/06/nine-hour-crusty-white-bread-saturday.html

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Pro tip: buy your wife the Sourdough book and receive free bread

Cheddar and hatch chiles from the Sourdough book. Best yet!

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
i make my loaf bread now with molasses instead of sugar, and i throw a cup of wheat flour in with the white. Comes out great and flavorful.

I also decided to have a little fun today. Made one loaf, the other half of the dough i put into small glass bowls and let raise, then baked it in those. Popped em out and let them cool, then stuck them in the oven again while I reheated chili i made yesterday. Cut the tops off and made nice bread bowls out of them. Was delicious.

Deus Mechanicus
Oct 10, 2016
I once tried making bread and it tasted like poo poo, I think I'll just stick with buying sourdough from the grocery store.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Deus Mechanicus posted:

I once tried making bread and it tasted like poo poo, I think I'll just stick with buying sourdough from the grocery store.

try again. It tastes so much better home made. Start with a basic white.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

It's surprisingly fun too, I started back in August making a loaf a week and I didn't realize I'd enjoy it as much as I do. I started with this, http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/08/simple-crusty-white-bread-recipe.html, it's easy and you'll be surprised how it turns out.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Still at it, wanted to ask about something. I'm getting a really nice open crumb about the outside of my loaves, but the bottom and center tend to be just a bit denser than I'd like. I don't have a dutch oven, I'm cooking on a pizza stone with a steel bowl as a cover. Would cooking longer under the bowl at a lower temperature help? I'm currently starting at 240C and dropping to 220C covered for 20 minutes, then 20 minutes uncovered at 220C.

Here's pics of the last loaf, this section is fine, it's just at the thickest part of the loaf that the crumb closes up.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

OK I made own sourdough following this recipe light-rye-light-wholemeal-rustic-pain-au-levain .

It ended up looking like this http://m.imgur.com/PFIMS1K

How can I fix this in the future? Is it under proofed? Not knocked back enough?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Carillon posted:

OK I made own sourdough following this recipe light-rye-light-wholemeal-rustic-pain-au-levain .

It ended up looking like this http://m.imgur.com/PFIMS1K

How can I fix this in the future? Is it under proofed? Not knocked back enough?

That's overproofed. The yeast was able to essentially overinflate their gluten balloons, so you end up with bread tunnels. It's not the end of the world, but next time I'd make your rising and proofing periods shorter, or else use less-active starter or less yeast. Another option is to lower the temperature where it's being risen. It's not entirely clear from the picture, but it looks like your gluten might be too weak, too; try kneading longer next time, or doing more stretch-and-folds.

Basically, be more decisive with your bread.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the same whole wheat raisin sourdough i always post, because it owns

Carillon
May 9, 2014

That always looks amazing, are you using a stone or a dutch oven to bake?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

poverty goat posted:

the same whole wheat raisin sourdough i always post, because it owns

How deep are your cuts when you score them?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Carillon posted:

That always looks amazing, are you using a stone or a dutch oven to bake?

unglazed quarry tiles + a sheet pan of wet towels for steam

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 20, 2016

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What makes wet towels work better than a pan of water? More surface area exposed directly to the heat? It somehow makes sense to me as a general concept, but I'm wondering why it works.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What makes wet towels work better than a pan of water? More surface area exposed directly to the heat? It somehow makes sense to me as a general concept, but I'm wondering why it works.

i think the towel wicks up the water and gives more surface area for it to get hot and evaporate. in any case it keeps things v steamy for 30+ minutes

Stringent posted:

How deep are your cuts when you score them?

not very deep

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got a banneton so I decided to make some no recipe cinnamon raisin bread. One loaf in the banneton, one if a loaf pan.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

I've been reading this thread for some time now and various other sources online, and it all just seems a bit too much to juggle. I've tried pretty much every technique, from no-kneading to stretching and folding for 14 hours with half-our intervals and, honestly, I can't really discern any significant difference. So I've resorted to my gran's simple method: knead the dough for at least 20 minutes the night before, put in bowl (for lack of bannetons) that I layered with cling film and oiled, let proof overnight, bake at 200C with a tray of boiled water. At first only use the bottom heater in the oven, about 20 minutes in turn on the top heater, bake for another 10-15 minutes.

My dough recipe is usually 2 parts hard flour, 1/2 part all-purpose flour and 1 part water, and I may add some fancier flours if I come across them. I've tried raising the wetness but it gets pretty hard for the loaves to hold their shape once in the oven, and they tend to spread outwards rather than upwards. Do you guys have any ideas how to fix this? I really want to make bread with some bubbles in it.

Also, one thing that strikes me as kind of odd. Everywhere I've looked, the sourdough starter is kind of liquid-y, fluid enough that it's kept in jars. My starter is like a tight dough, I keep it in a plain tupperware box. Whenever I want to make bread I feed it a cup or two of flour, knead it with some water, then put about half of it back in its box. The rest that I'll be using I dissolve in some warm water, which I then pour into my flour/salt/whatever mix. Is this abnormal?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

What's a good recipe for French bread?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

10 Beers posted:

What's a good recipe for French bread?

I've done this one a couple times and gotten great results.

nugget of poo
Dec 26, 2003

I made this delicious sourdough boule from the recipe in the Bouchon Bakery book. I used a little more salt than I should have (my last attempt was a little bland so I tripled the salt dose) but otherwise I'm very happy!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Just had my first ever go at making bread for myself, some plain old white bread for burgs and sammiches

I'm gonna say it was a qualified success, the dough could definitely have been better, the crust looks like a disaster area; and I think on reflection it needed to bake longer; but it's pretty tasty, and for once in the art of cooking I actually have a pretty good idea of where I went wrong and why, so I'm happy

Plus it's plenty tasty to me :v: (ed: though i now realize i should have let it cool a little longer, oops)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 30, 2016

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Somehow or another my last loaf managed to spawn a portal to hell:

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

Just had my first ever go at making bread for myself, some plain old white bread for burgs and sammiches

I'm gonna say it was a qualified success, the dough could definitely have been better, the crust looks like a disaster area; and I think on reflection it needed to bake longer; but it's pretty tasty, and for once in the art of cooking I actually have a pretty good idea of where I went wrong and why, so I'm happy

Plus it's plenty tasty to me :v: (ed: though i now realize i should have let it cool a little longer, oops)

That bread looks awesome! I bet it'll go great as sandwich bread. I'm always surprised though when bread recipes don't also include weight measurements, before I got my scale I made a lot of bad loaves due to over and underpacked flour. Yours turned out so nicely though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks :) The center to me tasted a little more dough-y than I was expecting, thought it should have been a little bit more dry and crumbly, but my family adored it so I guess either they're being nice or my taste is awful :v:

First thing I want to try is letting it sit longer before cutting in. I only left it out of the oven for five minutes before curiosity got the better of me and I sliced it open, only to let out a surprising amount of steam that probably would have warmed up the whole thing longer. Whoops.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks :) The center to me tasted a little more dough-y than I was expecting, thought it should have been a little bit more dry and crumbly, but my family adored it so I guess either they're being nice or my taste is awful :v:

First thing I want to try is letting it sit longer before cutting in. I only left it out of the oven for five minutes before curiosity got the better of me and I sliced it open, only to let out a surprising amount of steam that probably would have warmed up the whole thing longer. Whoops.

One thing to check when you take it out if the oven is if you tap the bottom of the loaf, does it sound hollow? I've read that it works and have had success myself putting loaves that's sound a bit full into the over for a few more minutes.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

My aunt actually suggested sticking a toothpick in the top center when you think it's done; if you can withdraw it cleanly, without sticking, then you're good, otherwise it needs five more minutes. I'll try both methods this weekend.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
The toothpick test is a thing you typically do with cakes or something like banana bread. Doing it for a loaf of bread would be mighty unusual.

mmartinx
Nov 30, 2004
I don't think it's an issue of under-baking. Peter Reinhart talks about bread "geletanizing" or something like that as it cools. Should really let it rest for 2 hours before cutting in as hard as that sounds. To make sure it is done though if you have an instant read thermometer quick breads should be ~180f in the center when they're done, ~200F for yeasted breads.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

mmartinx posted:

I don't think it's an issue of under-baking. Peter Reinhart talks about bread "geletanizing" or something like that as it cools. Should really let it rest for 2 hours before cutting in as hard as that sounds. To make sure it is done though if you have an instant read thermometer quick breads should be ~180f in the center when they're done, ~200F for yeasted breads.

It's true, bread continues cooking as it cools. If you let the steam out early, you will regret it - but there's no harm in making a small roll or even a second loaf to eat hot! I've also found that cutting it open early doesn't really affect any future french toast (or at least not in a negative way), so you might as well dig in if that's your plan for tomorrow. You should also cool it with maximal airflow on all sides - don't lay it on the counter, put it on a wire rack. If that isn't an option, you can also tilt it up on its side against a book or a wall or something. Balance it on stuff so the bottom doesn't steam, basically.

What happens as bread cools is pretty similar to what happens as a pudding cools. At first, the pudding is sticky, but it's only ready to serve after a few hours, since the starch is still degrading. That's the first step, and what you have to wait for bread to cool for - if you don't, the bread will have a gummy, compressible, melty texture. Wait for it to set up and you'll be thanking yourself for each slice.

You can always get that 'fresh baked bread' aroma by warming it up. Heat it in the oven long enough and low enough to heat through but not toast, and you'll have delicious fresh baked bread. On the other hand, if you are looking for that melt in your mouth texture, go ahead and cut into the loaf right away (well, after half an hour or so, at least).

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 2, 2016

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The mechanical way to test a boule for doneness afaik is to drum on the bottom, and if it's done it should sound hollow. Otherwise get an instant read digital thermometer and stick it in there. If it's 200F in the middle it's done (a touch higher for breads w/ milk or eggs).

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
Any recommendations of spices/herbs to add to whole wheat sourdough?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Minge Binge posted:

Any recommendations of spices/herbs to add to whole wheat sourdough?

olives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I like rosemary.

So bread thread, I need some help. I've been trying to make the tartine oat porridge bread following this recipe: http://abreaducation.com/blog/2014/03/oat-porridge-bread-from-tartine-book-3/
I've done 4 or 5 loaves now, I think I've worked out the kinks in my oats moisture levels, but still I can't get the sucker to rise. Any ideas on what I should try? Here's what it's looking like: