Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

TwoPair posted:

Cat Thor is so great they used it in a background gag in Mighty Thor when Loki summoned an army of his various forms to fight Thor.

I dunno if the intent was to make it look unnerving that every Loki has the same pose/expression but as it is it just lands it squarely into this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I just noticed homeless battleworld Loki made the cut.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Flintstones #5

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i don't know why loki even bothers fighting thor any more. elaborate schemes and proxies, sure, but has doing it personally ever worked?

I can think of one time Loki beat Thor in a straight up fight. And that was the really good Loki miniseries from 2004 by Esad Ribic and Robert Rodi. It's an alternate universe but since the plot involves Loki looking at alternate universes and seeing if he can buck trends then it should count.

Also it looks gorgeous.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Flintstones #5

A yabba dabba good time indeed

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

The Question IRL posted:

I can think of one time Loki beat Thor in a straight up fight. And that was the really good Loki miniseries from 2004 by Esad Ribic and Robert Rodi. It's an alternate universe but since the plot involves Loki looking at alternate universes and seeing if he can buck trends then it should count.

Also it looks gorgeous.

Blood Brothers?

I kind of felt bad for Loki in that one, what with coming to the realization that the best way for he and Thor to get around Fate would be to free Thor and make him co-ruler of Asgard, right as Thor breaks free of his cell and caves Loki's head in with a hammer.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Argue posted:

...I think I'm going to need some context for this.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fred and Barney: War criminals

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Cant wait to see that Fruity Pebbles commercial.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Mikl posted:

...I think I'm going to need some context for this.

Fred and Barney were in a war against the tree people, they brought into the rhetoric that the Tree people were going to come and kill their family etc. So they joined the army, and wiped out the tree people, only to realize that it was not an invasion they repelled, since of course, nobody would bring a child to an invasion. Barney finds Bambam and raises him as his own, they deal with their PTSD.

Right now they're watching the son of the guy who recruited them into war, rallying around trying to be president because "He says what I wish I could say"

Flinstones has always been satire, just the comic is more blatant satire.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Jesus. Like I get making things darker snd edgier, but gently caress me that's a little hosed up.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
The best way to think of it, as far as I can see, is: They were always the 'Modern Stone Age family'. 'Modern' has changed. Not sure whether to judge it as good or foul.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 3, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Bloodly posted:

The best way to think of it is: They were always the 'Modern Stone Age family'. 'Modern' has changed.

Yeah, like the Caveman Carl Sagan describing the force that keeps people together being "Loneliness" It's just a little too loving real.

Clod's dad was a Dubya parody.

It's a gut punch book to be very real, it lures you in with funny jokes and then just repeatedly punches you in the gut with "That is too real" moments.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Argue posted:

That's a harsh way to look back at their old cigarette commercials.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

purple death ray posted:

Cant wait to see that Fruity Pebbles commercial.

INT: BARNEY'S HOUSE. FRED FLINTSTONE KICKS DOWN DOOR, A CRAZED LOOK IN HIS EYE

"Barney, where are my goddamn pebbles?":argh:

*cut to Barney, snorting crushed Fruity Pebbles*

"Please Fred, it's the only way I can feel anything anymore."

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Onmi posted:

It's a gut punch book to be very real, it lures you in with funny jokes and then just repeatedly punches you in the gut beef with "That is too real" moments.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
Why is Barney as tall as Fred? Isn't he almost a midget?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Bloodly posted:

The best way to think of it, as far as I can see, is: They were always the 'Modern Stone Age family'. 'Modern' has changed. Not sure whether to judge it as good or foul.

It's just that they don't have to pull their punches like a Cold War era cartoon. While the humor is pretty dark, not unlike Prez, anything with Wilma is usually very heart warming. She's full of art and love, transcending the pitfalls of modern life.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

New Wave Jose posted:

Why is Barney as tall as Fred? Isn't he almost a midget?

They're returning to their roots.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Open Marriage Night posted:

It's just that they don't have to pull their punches like a Cold War era cartoon. While the humor is pretty dark, not unlike Prez, anything with Wilma is usually very heart warming. She's full of art and love, transcending the pitfalls of modern life.

Lures you in with the funny "Billions of days ago" then goes right to the Loneliness and suddenly it's a little too real.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Everything I've seen of Flintstones makes me think it might just be the angriest US made comic on the market presently.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
The Flintstones comic is unironically the best thing in publication at the moment.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Does Fred still go bowling and if he does, does he do the twinkle toes routine? This is VERY important information I need to know.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Does Fred still go bowling and if he does, does he do the twinkle toes routine? This is VERY important information I need to know.

He does still do bowling, we have not seen him twinkle toes yet.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I think one of my favorite moments in the book is where some of the appliances start talking to each other when everyone's out of the house. I expected a somewhat darker take on the "it's a living" gag and ended up with an adorable friendship blooming between the sink and the bowling ball.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I could pretty much post every page from Sonic Megadrive but I'll settle for these.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Tails you ignorant slut, all temps can be given in Kelvin, and if you really were going to say that it'd be super cold because 0 degrees Kelvin is absolute Zero when all motion stops.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Argue posted:

Missile Assault Flint blew up a busload of children in Zimbabrock.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Onmi posted:

I could pretty much post every page from Sonic Megadrive but I'll settle for these.

This is still by the artist who did the Nipples the Echidna-ect joke comic, right? The art is just too familiar.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yup, seems to be the lead artist on the Mega Drive series. Which seems to be a three issue run with months between issues unfortunately (next issue is Spring 2017).

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Argue posted:

Yabba Dabba Doo is basically a phrase he was told to repeat to himself to deal with his PTSD so...yeah Yabba Dabba good time...

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Yabba Dabba Doo is what his father said as he reached for the belt when Fred was a boy

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

This is still by the artist who did the Nipples the Echidna-ect joke comic, right? The art is just too familiar.

Boxer Hockey's Tyson Hesse? Emmerowds? Original The Character, Do Not Steal?

The panels themselves weren't super funny but knowing that makes them better, I had no idea he was gettin' paid for Sonic now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Onmi posted:

we have not seen him twinkle toes yet.

This will not stand. This aggression.... will not stand.

Gavok posted:

Missile Assault Flint blew up a busload of children in Zimbabrock.

I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad I (think I) get this reference.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

This will not stand. This aggression.... will not stand.

I don't get it at all. Link?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

SilverSupernova posted:

I think one of my favorite moments in the book is where some of the appliances start talking to each other when everyone's out of the house. I expected a somewhat darker take on the "it's a living" gag and ended up with an adorable friendship blooming between the sink and the bowling ball.

Nah, it's when it's revealed that Dino is a defective appliance, and all the other appliances call him an Uncle Tom.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Flintstones is a dark comedy, and in a way part of it's effect is that everyone knows The Flintstones as the cheesy canned-laughter-in-a-cartoon banality.

It's that comment on the pony-holocaust photoshop only not terrible.

Have some more. (Sorry for the hotlink, but imgur doesn;t seem to want them and it's pretty much already on an image hoster)

It's pretty good at background jokes too.

Plato's Cave is my favourite.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Wammoth Bammoth Thank You Mammoth is pretty loving incredible.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Jerusalem posted:

I've always been disappointed by my inability to get you into Chikara.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I don't get it at all. Link?

It's a running gag from the Punchsport Pagoda part of SA.

The short-as-I-can-make-it version: Chikara is an indie wrestling organization that focuses on humor, strong storylines that tend to make coherent sense and weird comic book poo poo while being fun for all ages. Time travel, mind-control, murder, resurrection, super powers, etc. There was a masked wrestler named Missile Assault Ant (an "extreme action figure" offshoot of other ant-based wrestlers) and they wanted to give him more of a story while having him remove the mask. So this wrestler Kevin Condron, who was writing his own "brilliant and artsy" storylines at the time, had this thing where he confronted Missile Assault Ant and told him, "I know that you were part of a mercenary outfit and under orders you blew up a busload of children in Zimbabwe and it haunts you." Coming to terms with that somehow led to him removing the mask and being Missile Assault Man, who occasionally suffers from PTSD during matches. This was treated with sincerity.

It came out of nowhere, didn't make a lot of sense and went against the kid-friendly appeal of the promotion.

So "Missile Assault Ant blew up a busload of children in Zimbabwe" is a thing that randomly gets mentioned from time to time. Mostly by me because it's hilariously dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gavok posted:

I've always been disappointed by my inability to get you into Chikara.

I don't even have enough time to fit in ROH anymore :(