Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

And Gatland's kid just won Harbour the Championship, and promotion into the Premiership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Keatley with some cringe inducing rugby tonight I actually feel sorry for him. Missed a drop goal, scuffed the gently caress out of a shot at goal and headbutted his own player in the act of missing a tackle on his own 5m line.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Keatley with some cringe inducing rugby tonight I actually feel sorry for him. Missed a drop goal, scuffed the gently caress out of a shot at goal and headbutted his own player in the act of missing a tackle on his own 5m line.

And somehow they still won

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

It's us, we're the worst team in Ireland.

Keatley was comically bad at least, Ulster were just boringly, frustratingly inept.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Keatley's been pretty guff for a long time. Still could be worse, could be Edinburgh losing to Zebre for the first time ever. :barf:

New Glasgow player, Langilangi Haupeakui got red carded after two yellow card offences that seemed pretty soft. Ref had a bit of a shite one so I guess it's to be expected.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Vaders Jester posted:

Keatley's been pretty guff for a long time. Still could be worse, could be Edinburgh losing to Zebre for the first time ever. :barf:

New Glasgow player, Langilangi Haupeakui got red carded after two yellow card offences that seemed pretty soft. Ref had a bit of a shite one so I guess it's to be expected.

They weren't soft yellows; they were complete bullshit.
Wilkinson is the consistently the worst ref in a league which also has Marius Mitrea. Which is really saying something.

Also this
https://twitter.com/BBCScrumV/status/792099832831717376

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

The ref was terrible all game. I'm the biggest apologist for the consistent failure that is Cardiff Blues, but that decision was ridiculous.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

HappyCamperGL posted:

Wilkinson is the consistently the worst ref in a league which also has Marius Mitrea. Which is really saying something.

Also this

Mitrea is hilariously poo poo. I'm not sure why the Pro12 allowed an Italian ref to be involved in a game with an Italian side in it. From what I hear, he was awful throughout and let Zebre away with murder all game. Though it's Edinburgh so even with the ref onside, they could conspire to lose.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

HappyCamperGL posted:

Also this

That is loving atrocious.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Hilariously bad.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
We have a load of rugby players in this thread so I thought this was a good place to ask.

What's people's recommendations on boots? I am playing wing here in sunny England and slipping like a twat on every sidestep. I have a basic pair of Umbros with standard aluminium rugby studs. Our pitch is pretty good but a bit boggy one end. Other pitches can be a poo poo show. I see all these football boots made of kangaroo scrotum and plastic for £160 quid and think gently caress that. So goons any recommendations for something with some grip and at least a hint of support and protection?

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

I'm a big fan of the asics rugby range, I'm a front row though so I like the 8 stud version. If you're playing in any sort of boggy ground I'd stick to studs rather than blades and you can always get a set of longer studs for when it gets really soft too.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

I always liked the mizuno boots, Canterburys are comfy but they might be a bit of a forwards boot and I never had a pair that stood up to more than a season.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I used to play with backs who swore by blades on anything other than a swamp, others who wouldn't wear them at all.

I'd definitely go for a rugby boot rather than a football one, you want an upper that can hold up to abuse rather than one designed to provide optimal swerve on a volley.

goatface fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 29, 2016

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

And if you're playing in heavy conditions, use longer studs as others have mentioned.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Seconding Canterbury's, I had a pair of Addidas and they barely made a half season before they disintegrated so back to Canterbury's I went. Some of the lads swear by Asics too for what its worth.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
I also wear Canterbury, but they're midrise and I put all 9 studs in due to being a slow second rower who plays on soft turf.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yesssssssssss, Roko with the 87th minute try to steal a win at Exeter!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
They're literally doing the post match interview with Todd Blackadder in the bar at Sandy Park. I love rugby.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
REAL-TALK : Which rugby stadium has the best bars?

1) Murrayfield (Edinburgh)
During large games, Murrayfield is basically a beer & food festival, with 10+ bars all selling unique drinks, and giants screens standing above the outdoor bar area, showing a live feed of the game. Sells Ginger Grouse at average pub prices, which automatically makes it the best bar in rugby.

2) Liberty Stadium (Ospreys)
The food and drinks are the usual football stadium crap, but for some reason The Ospreys still have an old-skool 'Club House' that everyone piles into after the game, to mingle with players, hold post-match interviews, and, and complain about the referee.

3) Allianz Park (Leicester Tigers)
Serves crap drinks, but serves them at a cool price. In 2-pint cups. With Domino's Pizza.

HAC Moorgate (London Saracens) is the worst I've seen in 5 years of away matches. The bar is operated out of a converted double-decker bus, which is cute and kitsh, but the bus only holds two serving stations, the line constantly has over a hundred people in it, everything is poured to order, and every oval office in the line is buying 3 pints for themselves, and another 6 for their oval office friends :(

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Paddy Jackson and Stuart Olding questioned by Belfast police over sexual assault accusations. Explains what the "personal reasons" were for Paddy not being selected for the Ireland squad.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Maori All Blacks team to play the USA in Chicago has been named. Colin Cooper has had the added benefit of having 4 All Black squad members that are eligible for selection made available to him by Steve Hansen, which he has taken advantage of. After the Americans ran the Maori All Blacks close the last time they played, I guess he's not taking any chances.

1. Kane Hames
2. Ash Dixon (Captain)
3. Ben May
4. Jacob Skeen
5. Tom Franklin
6. Elliot Dixon
7. Kara Pryor
8. Akira Ioane
9. Tawera Kerr-Barlow
10. Ihaia West
11. James Lowe
12. Tim Bateman
13. Matt Proctor
14. Rieko Ioane
15. Damian McKenzie

16. Joe Royal
17. Chris Eves
18. Marcel Renata
19. Leighton Price
20. Shane Christie
21. Brad Weber
22. Marty McKenzie
23. Sean Wainui

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Welp, so much for an Eagles win.

In bootchat: I love the Nike Mercurial mid-level boots with the plastic blades, for hard turf. I play in the southern USA where its pretty hot much of the year and the ground is firm unless it's rained heavily. When I play on wet ground, I wear the Adidas AdiZero soft ground boots with metal studs. I play scrum-half and wing, so I wear the low-ankle, 6-stud version.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

The Maori All Blacks team to play the USA in Chicago has been named. Colin Cooper has had the added benefit of having 4 All Black squad members that are eligible for selection made available to him by Steve Hansen, which he has taken advantage of. After the Americans ran the Maori All Blacks close the last time they played, I guess he's not taking any chances.

1. Kane Hames
2. Ash Dixon (Captain)
3. Ben May
4. Jacob Skeen
5. Tom Franklin
6. Elliot Dixon
7. Kara Pryor
8. Akira Ioane
9. Tawera Kerr-Barlow
10. Ihaia West
11. James Lowe
12. Tim Bateman
13. Matt Proctor
14. Rieko Ioane
15. Damian McKenzie

16. Joe Royal
17. Chris Eves
18. Marcel Renata
19. Leighton Price
20. Shane Christie
21. Brad Weber
22. Marty McKenzie
23. Sean Wainui

It's going to be a long game for the Eagles if this team play to their potential.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Vaders Jester posted:

It's going to be a long game for the Eagles if this team play to their potential.

They've been thrown together at the last minute, so there is every possibility that they won't be very cohesive.
In saying that, there are a few players in that squad that are prone to individual brilliance, so it may not matter.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Tyma posted:

REAL-TALK : Which rugby stadium has the best bars?

1) Murrayfield (Edinburgh)
During large games, Murrayfield is basically a beer & food festival, with 10+ bars all selling unique drinks, and giants screens standing above the outdoor bar area, showing a live feed of the game. Sells Ginger Grouse at average pub prices, which automatically makes it the best bar in rugby.

2) Liberty Stadium (Ospreys)
The food and drinks are the usual football stadium crap, but for some reason The Ospreys still have an old-skool 'Club House' that everyone piles into after the game, to mingle with players, hold post-match interviews, and, and complain about the referee.

3) Allianz Park (Leicester Tigers)
Serves crap drinks, but serves them at a cool price. In 2-pint cups. With Domino's Pizza.

HAC Moorgate (London Saracens) is the worst I've seen in 5 years of away matches. The bar is operated out of a converted double-decker bus, which is cute and kitsh, but the bus only holds two serving stations, the line constantly has over a hundred people in it, everything is poured to order, and every oval office in the line is buying 3 pints for themselves, and another 6 for their oval office friends :(

I won't have a bad word said about Everards Tiger, that's got me through many a night.

At the level I play at (bottom division in there Midlands) we're fantastically lucky to own our ground and have a proper clubhouse. A couple of the teams we play have sheds on the edge of a field to change in. One has 2 shipping containers and no working lights.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

The Rabbi T. White posted:

They've been thrown together at the last minute, so there is every possibility that they won't be very cohesive.
In saying that, there are a few players in that squad that are prone to individual brilliance, so it may not matter.

That backline alone looks very dangerous - I would say West is the weakest link there. He strikes me as a player who has the rare weakness of having a better head for the game than his skills allow for.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

EdBlackadder posted:

At the level I play at (bottom division in there Midlands) we're fantastically lucky to own our ground and have a proper clubhouse. A couple of the teams we play have sheds on the edge of a field to change in. One has 2 shipping containers and no working lights.

Lol my club doesn't own any property.

We rent two different soccer fields from the city (depending on which is available) and have to zip-tie uprights onto the goalposts and take off the nets. Our practice field is an elementary school playground. Our bar is a 15 minute drive from all 3 fields.

And we're not even in the lowest division.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

That backline alone looks very dangerous - I would say West is the weakest link there. He strikes me as a player who has the rare weakness of having a better head for the game than his skills allow for.

The anti-Cooper.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

EdBlackadder posted:

well I guess I'll stop grizzling about paying AUD $400 in subs (inlcuding free physio and all the strapping tape you can eat)

We have 4 of the best pitches in the state and pretty nice club rooms for an amateur club

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yeah my club dues are US$200, but at least we can afford to have a physio at our matches. Also one of our players is one full-time, which is helpful to have at practice. But LOL at having an actual roofed space.

Wish it would cool down, though, it's mid-Autumn and temps are still in the 80s (F)

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

He strikes me as a player who has the rare weakness of having a better head for the game than his skills allow for.

Yes, this describes me perfectly as well, for you see I too ought to be playing for national select sides because

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

How big are the US lads, by the way? I'm curious to see how McKenzie fares against larger teams and whether he needs to bulk up a bit - and if he does need to, it'll be interesting to see if it causes him grief like it did Carter.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

The Rabbi T. White posted:

How big are the US lads, by the way? I'm curious to see how McKenzie fares against larger teams and whether he needs to bulk up a bit - and if he does need to, it'll be interesting to see if it causes him grief like it did Carter.

Traditionally the US players are big lads, a number of them are of Pacific Island descent and hit like trucks. Clever is a pretty huge guy as well.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

In universities in the US, rugby guys are usually washed up American football guys so tend to be on the massive end of the scale. Not sure if that carries through to the Eagles or not but that is my anecdote regardless.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Apollodorus posted:

Lol my club doesn't own any property.

We rent two different soccer fields from the city (depending on which is available) and have to zip-tie uprights onto the goalposts and take off the nets. Our practice field is an elementary school playground. Our bar is a 15 minute drive from all 3 fields.

I mean... This is better than what Edinburgh have.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Tyma posted:

:vince:

Yeah it's nice having no expectations. Though this is by no means the worst club of any I've played in - it's actually maybe number 2 out of 8, and the best one I was never good enough to make the first XV anyway.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Tyma posted:

I'll have you know that the private school pitch Edinburgh are moving to will be just fine... :suicide:

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Vaders Jester posted:

I'll have you know that the private school pitch Edinburgh are moving to will be just fine... :suicide:

When The Ospreys played a crucial league match there, they didn't realize that there were no changing or showering facilities at the ground. They had to change into their playing kits in a nearby classroom, and then stayed in their kits until they got back to the team hotel. The catering was apparently a handful of pizzas delivered to the team bus after the match.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
I started a long effort post, but I started it on my phone so it's lost. Click here and scroll down until you can click on the players names for their profiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

So this kicks off at 1am GMT, right?