Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

TorakFade posted:

Uh apparently there was an earlier CG about gathering explosives, and the guys grabbed it and disappeared and now here they are with a CG that just requires you to be there.

My guess is BIG EXPLOSIONS so I think I'll be there.

Remember, remember!
The fifth of November,
The Gunpowder treason and plot;
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Let us engy mod fighters please :sun:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Keelback can't hold two fighters can it? :ohdear:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

orcane posted:

One bay. With 4(?) backups.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Guess it will have to do, I didn't realize fighters come with backups.

They really could have added fighters to another ship in the huge gap between the Keelback (3 million) and the Type-9/Beluga (75 million), or the Keelback and the FGS (35 million) because gently caress faction grinding :(

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

LCL-Dead posted:

The fighters are so drat nimble.

I get a huge amount of satisfaction just slinging it around the bases and outposts at speed, pausing to target a skimmer every so often.

I leave the conda some 15km away at 5km altitude in an effort to sneak up on other people running the missions.

This makes me still hope they add fighter-crap to Jacques' before I get there. It would hurt so much if I can't try fighters until Summer '17. :sigh:

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE

LCL-Dead posted:

The fighters are so drat nimble.

I get a huge amount of satisfaction just slinging it around the bases and outposts at speed, pausing to target a skimmer every so often.

I leave the conda some 15km away at 5km altitude in an effort to sneak up on other people running the missions.

Yeah I love a bit of a canyon blitz with these little bro's. Crashed quite a few times but who cares, got backups

orcane posted:

I've got a 5D fighter bay in a Keelback, so 1 fighter and 5 backups.

orcane posted:

They really could have added fighters to another ship in the huge gap between the Keelback (3 million) and the Type-9/Beluga (75 million), or the Keelback and the FGS (35 million) because gently caress faction grinding :(

I hear you! Why no Impy Clipper...

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Stepped inside an Anaconda for the first time today. NOT IMPRESSED!

edit: Okay back to the lovely Fed grind, gotta get me a Gunship to use as a sturdier-than-a-Keelback Res fighter platform.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 3, 2016

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

The clipper has style. I hate the FAS it looks so dumb.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Is the "sell all modules before trading in your ship" rule still in effect? Or did they update that?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Sanzuo posted:

Is the "sell all modules before trading in your ship" rule still in effect? Or did they update that?

I still do. Haven't heard that they changed anything.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
is the anaconda not a good ship to launch fighters from or is it just old & boring?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Why wouldn't it be? :confused:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So I've decided to get back into the game after not playing it since before Horizons was updated. I have a Clipper and once the game installs I'll see how it's actually outfitted. What's the best way to get back into the game?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Usually by clicking the launcher and clicking play.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

:nallears:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

ask a stupid question...

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
i just started again, i think the general guidance is "if ur happy with ur ship and have $$$, do engineers poo poo otherwise get $$$"

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

FormatAmerica posted:

is the anaconda not a good ship to launch fighters from or is it just old & boring?

Old & boring...also it doesn't look like a star destroyer. :colbert:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So I've decided to get back into the game after not playing it since before Horizons was updated. I have a Clipper and once the game installs I'll see how it's actually outfitted. What's the best way to get back into the game?

If you like to shootmans, grab some friends (or get on discord and get some goons) and head to a rez.

If you missed out on the cashcow that was Sothis Poopsmithing but still want to grind spacemoney, gems might still be a thing, but it looks like everyone is migrating towards high-reputation passengers and skimmer missions.

If you like exploration, there are colonized systems west of the core ~20kly from the bubble and they just found some ~alien ruins~ and a second ~alien crash site~ in the bubble.

Personally, I am currently jumping from anarchy system to anarchy system, looking for certain states to collect mats so I can bedazzle my explorvette so that it will jump >20ly and still be a decent murderboat!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Unfunny jokes aside, go farm Precious Gems like us!

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

okay yeah i guess i'll sell my type-9 & get an anaconda. you need rep for all the big fun ones, yeah?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Inacio posted:

Do this like twice with a huge cargo hold and you'll have enough money to last you for the rest of eternity.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Inacio posted:

Keep in mind this has been officially called an exploit by Frontier and they'll finally be removing it from the game. They usually don't ban for exploits though so everyone is probably safe.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

For me, the Anaconda was THE endgame ship for too long. It's what everybody seemed to be working toward when there was less to do in the game, and that makes it bland and generic in my book. I doubt I'll ever buy one; I'm far too special a snowflake for that poo poo.

edit:

Mike the TV posted:

Keep in mind this has been officially called an exploit by Frontier and they'll finally be removing it from the game. They usually don't ban for exploits though so everyone is probably safe.

That (banning) would be the galaxy's biggest rear end in a top hat move on their part, since 99% gem-collectors probably haven't read whatever forum post they officially labeled it an :airquote: exploit :airquote: in. Unless you follow that kind of thing, there's no really obvious reason to think gems are some kind of cheat, and not just a temporary in-game opportunity to be taken advantage of.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 4, 2016

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Mike the TV posted:

Well poo poo, time to farm it harder than ever before they remove it!

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

What would be neat is if they made stuff like that gem wreck happen more frequently with non-renewing gems in the various unidentified signals you can find all around. It would make it a neat opportunity for anyone looking to gain some extra cash, but you wouldn't do JUST that.

But then again, :frontear:

eta: I'm not sure if it's been posted here prior, but here's the thread on the E:D forums with the bug report. I mean, considering that particular signal source was the main target of a community goal, it should have been cleaned up afterwards, but really this kind of thing should be a sign that people don't like having to play the game for an eternity to get to the next cool thing.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 4, 2016

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Shlapintogan posted:

What would be neat is if they made stuff like that gem wreck happen more frequently with non-renewing gems in the various unidentified signals you can find all around. It would make it a neat opportunity for anyone looking to gain some extra cash, but you wouldn't do JUST that.

That's the best part about hamfisted whack-a-mole MMO nerfs - all this does is encourage people to be more aware and jump on this poo poo the second it breaks because the nerf will be in the next patch. Can't do other things because you can do them any time and the money train is for a limited time only.

Also that's a hilarious redefinition of "exploit".

jnnnnn
May 31, 2013

MEL

Shlapintogan posted:

You can occasionally find an "AI Relic" in an anarchy threat 4 instance. They are worth double a gems canister (140k), but a wing of Anacondas attacks you when you try to scoop it.

They should be worth millions. Despite it being "highly illegal", you don't get interdicted for them either.

jnnnnn fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 4, 2016

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

jnnnnn posted:

You can occasionally find an "AI Relic" in an anarchy threat 4 instance. They are worth double a gems canister (140k), but a wing of Anacondas attacks you when you try to scoop it.

They should be worth millions. Despite it being "highly illegal", you don't get interdicted for them either.

Space Pirates want your 200 cr tubes instead. Those AI Relics? Worthless.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I've heard that Elite Dangerous makes for a nice podcast game. Is it a hard game to learn? I had thought about reinstalling Microsoft Flight Simulator X, but I figured that Elite would be more entertaining.

How often does the game go on sale?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

They usually do pretty decent discounts during the big steam sales. It's not super difficult to learn on a basic level. Learning how not to slam yourself into station walls/terrain during takeoff/landing is probably the hardest part for most new pilots, followed by not running out of gas and deciphering the byzantine peculiarities of the mission system. Take it slow and ask questions in discord as appropriate and you'll be fine.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Running out of space petrol in a non-scoopable star system for first time is part of the Elite experience.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's much easier to avoid now, at least. Might want to "learn" it the hard way in a Sidewinder instead of a ship with a higher rebuy cost tho :v:

To me it happened after not checking the last jumps to a mailman mission destination, with the last three stars (including the destination) being non-scoopable, and the station 150k ls away. I ran out about 1700 ls from the station.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Remember, remember!
The fifth of November,
The Gunpowder treason and plot;
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot!

Crud. I am still 11k ly out of the bubble. I have to cash in 80mio of passenger missions and switch ship. I want to be there in a cheap ASP with long legs and all kinds of scanners.

DancingShade posted:

Running out of space petrol in a non-scoopable star system for first time is part of the Elite experience.

I remember how I ran out of fuel with my FdL in a Haz-Res furball. It builds character.

Einbauschrank fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 4, 2016

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So, turned in 16 million credits worth of exploration data to Palin, went from nothing to 95% of the way through level 4.

Now I just need to know - is Dirty Drive Tuning better than Clean Drive Tuning? It looks like Dirty Drive Tuning is the "I want to go fast and don't care about heat" mod while Clean Drive Tuning is "I want my heat reduced" but I'm getting thrown by there not being a "speed" stat on thrusters.

What's the deal with the Optimal Mass and Optimal Multiplier stats on thrusters, basically?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I just did the Dirty Drive because it seemed appropriate somehow to be rolling coal during goon ops.

Pictured: my AspE

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man where did all this hate for the best ship in the game come from? Anacondas are cool and good I'll have you know!

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Gort posted:

So, turned in 16 million credits worth of exploration data to Palin, went from nothing to 95% of the way through level 4.

Now I just need to know - is Dirty Drive Tuning better than Clean Drive Tuning? It looks like Dirty Drive Tuning is the "I want to go fast and don't care about heat" mod while Clean Drive Tuning is "I want my heat reduced" but I'm getting thrown by there not being a "speed" stat on thrusters.

What's the deal with the Optimal Mass and Optimal Multiplier stats on thrusters, basically?

I too want to know about this optimal mass multiplier poo poo.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

deadly_pudding posted:

I just did the Dirty Drive because it seemed appropriate somehow to be rolling coal during goon ops.

Pictured: my AspE

Drive modifications really need a visual effect, dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

:siren:CORVETTE AND CUTTER PAINTJOBS:siren:

:toot:FIGHTERS TOO!:toot:

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Nov 4, 2016

• Locked thread