Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

*joins webex* "hey i'm here"
*mute mic, do other stuff for an hour*
*unmute mic* "thanks for that guys, good presentation, bye"

mishaq posted:

*gets asked a question*
*scrambles to find mute button after hearing your name*
"sorry, I didn't catch the second half of what you said, could you repeat that?"

Necc0 posted:

you know you're important when you can lose the facade and outright tell them you weren't paying attention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

*crackle crackle* HAS JOINED THE CALL

*wind* sorry what slide are we on???

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Voip will randomly decide to crap out for me during a webex call, which is really fun when I'm the host and can't properly rejoin until I end the meeting and start a new one. I hope the muzak distracts people from thinking of me as a tech illiterate moron

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Necc0 posted:

we were in the middle of working through a lab and someone broke the silence by screaming real loud and now it's quiet again and no one seems to want to acknowledge that just happened

thanks for the new webex game. occasionally scream and see if anyone notices.

literally months worth of fun right there :cheers:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Bloody posted:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

mishaq posted:

*gets asked a question*
*scrambles to find mute button after hearing your name*
"sorry, I didn't catch the second half of what you said, could you repeat that?"

gently caress

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
one time at my last job i took a friday off for a wedding, with family i hadn't seen in two years

the night before we had a deployment of one of our apps, so i deployed, devs said everything was fine, and i went to bed

got up in the morning and started getting dressed when i get a call from a conference line at work saying that apache is down and won't start, and that we might need to redeploy???

i calmly explain "i sent you an email with the three other people who can deal with this, i took today off" but of course because i'm a bit of a pushover (and my boss would've yelled at me) i get roped in anyway

keep in mind i was planning to leave early, since it's an hour and a half drive to the wedding

i'm on the loving phone muted for three hours before someone goes "oh... OHHHH" and everyone on the conference call freaks out like "DID YOU FIGURE IT OUT"

turns out there was a duplicate line for something in the apache config, which didn't get noticed because the previous night's deployment didn't include a restart (???) and apparently nobody bothered to check that the app was on the new version before doing smoke testing so everything was a-ok until the nightly restart where poo poo hit the fan

i missed the reception because nobody thought to check the apache config :suicide:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
honestly wasn't sure if that should go in cjs or here but considering the part where i was muted on a conference call for three hours unable to do anything to speed up the process this thread seemed about right

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

that's just sad

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
dear Apple: give me an option to let me toggle mute with the loving headphone cord button

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

abraham linkedin posted:

one time at my last job i took a friday off for a wedding, with family i hadn't seen in two years

the night before we had a deployment of one of our apps, so i deployed, devs said everything was fine, and i went to bed

got up in the morning and started getting dressed when i get a call from a conference line at work saying that apache is down and won't start, and that we might need to redeploy???

i calmly explain "i sent you an email with the three other people who can deal with this, i took today off" but of course because i'm a bit of a pushover (and my boss would've yelled at me) i get roped in anyway

keep in mind i was planning to leave early, since it's an hour and a half drive to the wedding

i'm on the loving phone muted for three hours before someone goes "oh... OHHHH" and everyone on the conference call freaks out like "DID YOU FIGURE IT OUT"

turns out there was a duplicate line for something in the apache config, which didn't get noticed because the previous night's deployment didn't include a restart (???) and apparently nobody bothered to check that the app was on the new version before doing smoke testing so everything was a-ok until the nightly restart where poo poo hit the fan

i missed the reception because nobody thought to check the apache config :suicide:

Dude.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

need that emptyquote button

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

cjs: picked up a work call on my day off and i missed an important family marriage

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

abraham linkedin posted:

when i get a call from a conference line at work

why would you even answer, just say the wedding was somewhere with no reception. say it was an underwater wedding

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

indigi posted:

why would you even answer, just say the wedding was somewhere with no reception. say it was an underwater wedding

for real, everyone should know their nearest beauty spot without decent reception and use it all the time.

i can't tell you how many events i attend "up in the north Georgia mountains. Beautiful area, you ever been up there?"

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

i was still at home, hadn't left yet :smith:

i started looking for a new job after that

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

abraham linkedin posted:

i was still at home, hadn't left yet :smith:

how could they possibly have known, though

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
when i was vacationing last year i setup everything in advance to be left alone during that time. backup, documentation, everything.

my boss' boss is notorious for calling me directly because I guess he's comfortable with me and/or i'm just a one-stop shop for everything to him. so I set up call forwarding so that if a call came in from any of his numbers it just forwarded back to his own line.

he was really confused and angry when I got back. he tried dialing me something like 27 times in the span of 2 weeks

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

when i was vacationing last year i setup everything in advance to be left alone during that time. backup, documentation, everything.

my boss' boss is notorious for calling me directly because I guess he's comfortable with me and/or i'm just a one-stop shop for everything to him. so I set up call forwarding so that if a call came in from any of his numbers it just forwarded back to his own line.

he was really confused and angry when I got back. he tried dialing me something like 27 times in the span of 2 weeks

this, this is how u do it

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

how could they possibly have known, though

i dunno

i guess i wasn't so jaded at the time so i was trying to show initiative and it hosed me

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

abraham linkedin posted:

i dunno

i guess i wasn't so jaded at the time so i was trying to show initiative and it hosed me

there's initiative and then there's "i'm a doormat."

I'm not judging because I've been there before, believe me. I'm just sayin'

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

coffeecup posted:

Voip will randomly decide to crap out for me during a webex call, which is really fun when I'm the host and can't properly rejoin until I end the meeting and start a new one. I hope the muzak distracts people from thinking of me as a tech illiterate moron

webex voip is trash

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bloody posted:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

last time i went home for 2 weeks i took my boss i wouldnt have good reception and then took the sim card out of my phone

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

i found out the hard way recently (new job) that my handset cannot be muted. cannot. theres a friendly microphone button with a red lamp which turns on and off but it Does Nothing unless youre on speaker phone. what the gently caress. thats like 2 weeks of people listening to me chomp and slurp.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i keep telling people to just give me a call if there is any issue where it would help them out to get my input

they never do

either suggests nice colleagues or me being p. drat useless

the truth is in the middle

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

webex voip is trash

:agreed:

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
back when i was in our operations team they gave me a phone and i'd leave it locked in a drawer when i went off on vacation, but when i moved over to my current role of doing useless poo poo they took it away. Except people still needed to call all the time because it took 3 years for my replacement to get up to speed, so a handful of people started leaking my personal contact information around.

this came to a head when a project manager not on any projects I'm involved in got a hold of my personal email and started sending poo poo to that. she got a hell of a chewing out from the people who were desperate that i not block them all entirely

a couple years on from that, tho, and i haven't had an out of hours call in ages. sucks to be anyone in ops, tho.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

https://twitter.com/bea_ker/status/700161865192615936

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

lmfao

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nice!

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

lmao

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

indigi posted:

thanks new iphone :argh:

lomarf

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

gently caress

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

weirdo

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

thread over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
(joins call)
"Hi everybody, so this meeting is--
(oh, I better mute my phone so I'm not That rear end in a top hat)
"THANK YOU FOR PRESSING THE MUTE COMMAND."
"YOU ARE NOW MUTED."
"TO UN-MUTE, HIT STAR-6."
"TO PLACE THE CALL ON HOLD, HIT STAR-4."
"TO LEAVE THE CONFERENCE, HIT STAR-2."
"TO HEAR OTHER PHONE COMMAND OPTIONS, HIT STAR-8."
"YOU WILL NOW BE RETURNED TO THE CONFERENCE."
"-omarc? Miss-Bomarc? Hello?"
"THANK YOU FOR PRESSING THE UN-MUTE COMMAND."
"YOU ARE NO LONGER MUTED."
"TO MUTE YOUR HANDSET, HIT STAR-6..."

• Locked thread