Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
In the scene were that one host mixes up scripts and kills his partner while drinking milk, was the family that was in the room people or hosts as well?

And has it been explained how far hosts would go in terms of hurting people (as part of the park's atmosphere, not hosts going off-script)? I was surprised seeing Logan getting choked out and then getting his poo poo kicked by the Confederados.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

In the scene were that one host mixes up scripts and kills his partner while drinking milk, was the family that was in the room people or hosts as well?

And has it been explained how far hosts would go in terms of hurting people (as part of the park's atmosphere, not hosts going off-script)? I was surprised seeing Logan getting choked out and then getting his poo poo kicked by the Confederados.

Those two that were huddled were guests.

And Logan answered your second question when Bill shot the guy who grabbed Clemintine in Sweetwater.

B:I thought you said we couldn't get hurt.
L:Ehhh I said we couldn't die.

Or something very close to that effect.

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

It seems that the roughness of the hosts depends on the timeframe you are watching. They toned down how rough they could be over the years, hence the puffs of gunfire on MiB versus the knock-down paintball hit on William.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
If they really must do a timeframe-thing, I just hope they add a REASON for MiB being William. We're at 5 of 10 and I still don't see any. I'm sure it'll be in the final 90 seconds of episode 10 as a hook to get me to tune in to Season 2.

Lost did this poo poo in the final season where every scene on the island (where they were trying to change the past and prevent the crash) was cut with a scene in which the characters' never crashed on the island and lived out their alternate lives. It culminated in a ~twist~ that had no relevance or significance of any kind. It was just a "huh... ok." moment.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I watched the season again over the last two days. That fourth episode makes the two timeframe theory pretty hard to accept without really getting into the weeds. We don't see why Dolores was in the woods where she finds Will if it is not because she ran away after shooting Rebus in the present. She knows her father is dead so it would likely have to be a time when he was shot and she escaped. Teddy wouldn't have been there yet. It's not the time we saw her shoot Rebus because Teddy and the guest with the long hair we see at the farmhouse interact and she seems to have a MiB flashback. So, the last we would have seen Dolores prior to showing up in the woods was when Will picked up the milk and there would be no explanation as to why she was in the woods. She awoke with a gun by her side the next morning which makes you think that she still had it from Rebus though, of course, we've seen her dig up a gun. I suppose the part where she digs up the gun could have come right before she went out into the woods and found Will and maybe her mental state is due to hearing the voice. Then the farmhouse room sequence with the gun would make a little more sense - one day she has it in her drawer and then the next it is gone because she has buried it.

Also don't forget that the reason that Teddy isn't there before she flees and runs into William and Logan is that Teddy is now on the brand-new narrative, which the Man in Black has also just discovered. You really can't make that any clearer.

All that the two timeframe people have left is the logo and that's easily explainable, the new logo is, well, new and hasn't been spread to any other part of the park other than the elevator and main offices.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Do they ever comment on how old Teddy is? Does the MiB comment on having hung out with Teddy since his first visit or any poo poo like that?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

To be clear, at no point have I been referencing material from the trailers and I am legit confused if people are talking to me :confused:

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

You guys are just being sarcastic now, right? The show is obviously showing us intertwined but distinct narratives separated by a chunk of time. I don't claim to know much more than that, but by this point they have pretty much hit us over the head with it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Bicyclops posted:

I am legit confused if people are talking to me :confused:

Do you have a Bicameral Mind?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Gooble Rampling posted:

separated by a chunk of time.

What makes this part obvious? The logo?

EDIT: In case the below is directed at me, I'll make it explicitly clear that there's 0% emotional charge in my post. I just didn't see anything I would call "obvious" when I watched it, and I'm curious what I missed.

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 4, 2016

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Shhhhhhh, Shhhhh thread. It's alright. It's ok.

Shhhhh, Shhhhh. Watch your show and enjoy it. It's ok, to just enjoy it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lycus posted:

Do you have a Bicameral Mind?

Haha, no. Of course not.

Don't worry, Arnold, I didn't say anything.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's obvious there are a lot of different narratives over time even if MiB is not William and Will/Logan's run are not 30 years ago. There are narratives with Maeve at an Indian massacre and Dolores at the church, for instance.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

It's obvious there are a lot of different narratives over time even if MiB is not William and Will/Logan's run are not 30 years ago. There are narratives with Maeve at an Indian massacre and Dolores at the church, for instance.

A new timeline has been discovered: The MiB's 5th birthday party
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRIx1CP0Lrk

Gooble Rampling
Jan 30, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

EDIT: In case the below is directed at me, I'll make it explicitly clear that there's 0% emotional charge in my post. I just didn't see anything I would call "obvious" when I watched it, and I'm curious what I missed.

It has been several small things that eventually added up to "obvious" to me. A "death by small cuts" if you will. Most of it involves editing choices and deliberately vague dialogue. An editing example would be when the voice asks Delores to remember followed by a dreamlike cut to our first introduction to William. A vague dialogue example (which seemed to really confuse many viewers) would be when the behind-the-scenes security guy asks about Delores going off loop and the technician says they aren't sure if she is with a guest or not.

I could name more, but I am typing this on my phone.

Essentially it seems that we are watching intercut footage of Delores retracing a journey she took with William during her first brush with consciousness however many years ago.

Kephael
Apr 2, 2016

King Vidiot posted:

Also don't forget that the reason that Teddy isn't there before she flees and runs into William and Logan is that Teddy is now on the brand-new narrative, which the Man in Black has also just discovered. You really can't make that any clearer.

All that the two timeframe people have left is the logo and that's easily explainable, the new logo is, well, new and hasn't been spread to any other part of the park other than the elevator and main offices.

Lawrence is the strongest sign of two time frames, he is killed and drained of his blood for Teddy but is then seen at the outlaw city by William and Logan.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kephael posted:

Lawrence is the strongest sign of two time frames, he is killed and drained of his blood for Teddy but is then seen at the outlaw city by William and Logan.

While it seemed sudden, everyone seems to forget the people in the town saying they'd have to wait to see him; editing made it appear faster than it was. There was a several hour gap and that town is his "respawn" point. It's not unreasonable at all since probably refilling him with blood and patching his throat takes like 20 minutes tops.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

No no no.

Just a gentle reminder to the whole thread.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Gooble Rampling posted:

It seems that the roughness of the hosts depends on the timeframe you are watching. They toned down how rough they could be over the years, hence the puffs of gunfire on MiB versus the knock-down paintball hit on William.
Not necessarily true. Might just be a perk of MiB's Gold Package admission or VIP status.

Though the real reason is that the MiB is a transhumanist specializing in artificial limbs and organs ("Your foundation saved my sister's life!") and is himself largely artificial at this point. Recall his despondent admiration for how the hosts used to be (a million beautiful perfect parts) vs the crudeness of flesh and blood.

William gets knocked on his rear end because of his frail flesh while the MiB shrugs off point blank fire because he's more machine than man.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yo its weird how that guy who's been coming to the park for 30 years shrugs off the BB's, but the first timer who got shot on day 1 fell down. we should probably read into that, definitely something fishy going on there.... definitely a hidden clue in there, like why would that ever happen? Rackin' my brain here...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What is there that connects William to the MiB? I'm trying to think why it would be actually be interesting for them to be the same person.

William is a total neutral party in the "do hosts have rights" issue, so it's not like it would be a fall-from-grace, good-turns-evil story if he ends up as the MiB.

Logan tells William what a milquetoast businessman he is, but the MiB is a savvy Foundation Owner.

William is nice to Dolores and MiB rapes her in a barn.

William smiles a lot and Ed Harris tells people he'll cut their throat if they ruin his loving vacation.

William wears a lot of white and Ed Harris wears black. Maybe it's all about The Duality of Man

But overall we're at episode 5 of 10. Plenty of time for it to become meaningful for William to become a guy that he doesn't have much in common with.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

William is nice to Dolores and MiB rapes her in a barn.

I absolutely don't believe he did that. From what we know of him now, and the other flashbacks, I am fairly positive he scalped her.

And he did after the death of her "father" so she'd be in the emotional state she was, where the AI will be 'unlock' as has been shown.

ED: I also hope I'm right because taking a deplorable evil action like that and flipping the whole thing so it turns out to have not been an evil action at all, and everything he did was to unlock something in Dolores, it's kind of genius.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
It can't take place on an actual planet or in nature, as there is zero weather variation. Don't ask me what it is though.

The two time line theory is hurting my head and I enjoyed the show before the fans got so Lost like. I was super into Lost and felt super betrayed by the way it ended up.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Leon Einstein posted:

It can't take place on an actual planet or in nature, as there is zero weather variation. Don't ask me what it is though.

The two time line theory is hurting my head and I enjoyed the show before the fans got so Lost like. I was super into Lost and felt super betrayed by the way it ended up.

Dr Hammond asks if the giant excavation project has caused "the neighbors" to complain, so I'd guess it does take place in actual outside.

The handy thing about the show being in The Future is they can just say they cured weather or something. Or, I mean, we've only seen ~5 distinct days in the park. Maybe they've all been in July?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Logan tells William what a milquetoast businessman he is, but the MiB is a savvy Foundation Owner.
Well, William is marrying the boss's daughter, so if something happens to Logan, maybe William becomes the heir apparent.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Dr Hammond asks if the giant excavation project has caused "the neighbors" to complain, so I'd guess it does take place in actual outside.
He was being sarcastic.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

tooterfish posted:

He was being sarcastic.

I could see that, but Business Lady responded "it's safe to say they're asking questions". Are they both referring to the Board, maybe?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Leon Einstein posted:

Lmafao, have you ever been to the southwest?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I could see that, but Business Lady responded "it's safe to say they're asking questions". Are they both referring to the Board, maybe?

Is it possible that somebody is asking this question in seriousness?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

They're both joking. The only "neighbors" are hosts, and they don't actually care if they hear the noise.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Maybe. My point is he could say that whether there were neighbours or not, so it can't really be used to gauge anything about where the park is.

Same with the reply. It's banter.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

FogHelmut posted:

Lol trailers are spoilers.

Where does all this end, anyway? How can we take this to its logical conclusion?

Leon Einstein posted:

The scene with Maeve when she goes "outside" was pretty interesting, I thought. I didn't see any stars, or hear any outside noises at all, even wind?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
The neighbors are medieval world and zombie world

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The neighbors are medieval world and zombie world

This was an actual plot point in the original movie

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

Lmafao, have you ever been to the southwest?

Yeah, it can look like that for months on end in the Four Corners area. Though, if Teddy was "down in Escalante" you'd have to put it in the middle of Utah or so which doesn't work with Monument Valley in the reflection of the eye in the opening credits.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Gooble Rampling posted:

Essentially it seems that we are watching intercut footage of Delores retracing a journey she took with William during her first brush with consciousness however many years ago.

How can she remember them arriving on the train? Maybe she is having flashbacks and having a simultaneous narrative of the same events. Bit confusing tbh.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I'm pretty sure 'hosts' is a pun on them hosting Arnold's intelligence, but I don't know if he's all in each of them or if they're going to become some huge AI net or what.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but when Ford says Delores' mind is a "walled garden", there's a double meaning. A "walled garden" in software terms is a system in which the creator limits the applications and functionality to be only things approved by them. Think a cellphone where you can only use approved apps compared to a PC where you can freely download/install software to do anything you want.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

There seems to be a class system on delos among the staff. The one repair guy tries to remind the other that he cant be a programmer, and that all he'll be is a butcher. The other guy also says they should have weeded him out at the embyro phase. Seems like a colorful way to talk about an interview process, but it left me wondering....

Then another butcher talks about how he NEEDS this job.

Are the butcher guys some sort of indentured workers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Also, shoutout to the orgy scene music: NIN something I can never have

Niiiice

• Locked thread