Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I was thinking about this, would anybody let Morris go 10 today? If you were blind to the result, is there actually an argument that it was a mistake?

Tom Kelly's logic when Morris was arguing to be left in for the 10th was "ah what the hell, it's only a game."

I'm not joking, those are actually the words that came out of his mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

There's a part of me that is so happy and stunned and disbelieving that I need to be at that parade tomorrow and there's the much more likely part of me that despises crowds and has no desire to stand by myself eating elbows for hours when I can watch the whole thing on TV.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Abel Wingnut posted:

i own neither cable nor tv

You can watch the condensed game at baseball.theater and just keep searching youtube for the inevitable full game uploads that will be taken down every couple days via copyright strike

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
N: Dexter Fowler declines 2017 option.
V: I am very sad but we expected it.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

ChiTownEddie posted:

Everyone knew that mutual option was put there to make sure Dex got 13 million for this year, it was never ever ever going to be picked up. As much as I think he likes Chicago I also think he likes to get large sums of money and I think a team on the fringe with a CF/leadoff need will probably overpay for a 4-6 year deal that the Cubs won't be willing to match. If everything rumored is true the Cubs will also not put a QO on him.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

CubsWoo posted:

Everyone knew that mutual option was put there to make sure Dex got 13 million for this year, it was never ever ever going to be picked up. As much as I think he likes Chicago I also think he likes to get large sums of money and I think a team on the fringe with a CF/leadoff need will probably overpay for a 4-6 year deal that the Cubs won't be willing to match. If everything rumored is true the Cubs will also not put a QO on him.

100% agreed but it is a weird emotional thing where I'm still like "AWWWWWWW DEX!"

...followed by "Okay, get paid bud."

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icvoo_Mzwic

I took video of the final out from my seat. I THINK that's me screaming "WE DID IT!!!" at the end over and over, but I don't even remember. The whole experience was a giant blur of emotions. I cried into Poque's shoulder for a good minute after I stopped recording. :cry:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: In honor of my epileptic, Cubs fan father I donated $50 for ever time Cleveland flailed around on the field (every error).

V: Cubs winning hurts my wallet.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

quote:

Tomorrow's official downtown parade will start at approximately 11 a.m. CDT. The motorcade will depart Wrigley Field at approximately 10 a.m. CDT and head east on Addison Street and south on Lake Shore Drive in order to arrive at the official parade route on Michigan Avenue. The parade will travel along Michigan Avenue between Oak and Ohio streets then along Columbus Drive between Monroe Street and Balbo Avenue to Grant Park. A celebration rally will take place at Lower Hutchinson Field in Grant Park at approximately noon CDT. The rally is free and open to the public.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

kind of weird they wouldn't wait until the weekend for the parade, no?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Abel Wingnut posted:

kind of weird they wouldn't wait until the weekend for the parade, no?

Apparently CPS is out tomorrow anyway, so this mitigates concerns about schools being vacant because of kids skipping out to see the parade. While a weekend would also handle this, I feel like celebration parades are usually on weekdays for some reason.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Pancakes posted:

Apparently CPS is out tomorrow anyway, so this mitigates concerns about schools being vacant because of kids skipping out to see the parade. While a weekend would also handle this, I feel like celebration parades are usually on weekdays for some reason.

The 2013 Blackhawks parade was on a weekday and 2 million people still showed up.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

If they had it on a weekend I think every highway would be backed up for miles with people trying to get into the city. It would be insanity.

I want to buy a hat but not sure what. I'm going to get the "official" world series champions hat, the gray one everyone was wearing in the interviews. It will probably just sit on a shelf. I'd like to get the 59fifty with the world series patch like they wore in the games but it's sold out. Spent so much time looking at that hat during the games thinking about what it meant and I'd like to have that to hold onto. I feel like a regular Cubs hat with a world series champions patch on it would be kind of meh. I dunno what's everyone else getting?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Here you go!

Someone help me think of a caption please. And thanks for the code!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

RC Cola posted:

Zo Cubs Zo

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

RC Cola posted:

I, I feel alive

(Zo Cubs Zo is better)

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

ChiTownEddie posted:

100% agreed but it is a weird emotional thing where I'm still like "AWWWWWWW DEX!"

...followed by "Okay, get paid bud."

Yeah it's really hard to begrudge anything to anybody who was a part of making this happen.

"Ugh I really wish Lester would field his posi-OH WHO loving CARES THEY WON THE WORLD SERIES!"

"Ugh Joe Maddon overmanaged here and there that was ki--OH WHO loving CARES THEY WON THE WORLD SERIES!"

"Dex isn't gonna stick around but get paid elsewhere instead they might be as mighty next year without h--OH WHO loving CARES THEY WON THE WORLD SERIES."

And who knows? Maybe Dex is suddenly gonna be Too Old next season and your team cut ties with him at just the right time, and it's a win-win all around :getin:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ajkalan posted:

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2016/11/03/game-7-was-the-most-watched-baseball-game-in-15-years/

"Seventy-one percent of all people watching TV in Chicago had Game 7 on. Sixty-nine percent of all people watching TV in Cleveland were tuned in. Nice."

lol

Is there a way to look this up by city? KC radio today was saying some ridiculous amount of local TVs were on that game (I want to say they were claiming 71% but surely they didn't tie Chicago per capita).

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The 2013 Blackhawks parade was on a weekday and 2 million people still showed up.

KC's was definitely a weekday, I want to say Wednesday?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

While we were celebrating I kept looking back at the TV thinking they would overturn the play or call it off or whatever crazy idea I could concoct in my mind. It took me like a minute to actually fully realize it was over.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

While we were celebrating I kept looking back at the TV thinking they would overturn the play or call it off or whatever crazy idea I could concoct in my mind. It took me like a minute to actually fully realize it was over.

It's not just you. Hell, Almora said that the first thing that went though his mind after he came out of his slide scoring on Zobrist's double was "go back and touch the plate just in case"

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

ChiTownEddie posted:

I'm interested to see how they handle the offseason. I don't understand why people are so down on giving Fowler a long-term deal. Sure his days in CF might not last much longer but you can slot him into one of the corner outfield slots in a year or two. He has enough pop in the bat.

The team actually has some money coming off the books this year too. Coghlan ($4.8m), Cahill ($4.2m), Ross ($2.5m). So you could easily use some of that money to keep Fowler on a $15-$18m deal over the next few years.

I also think they'll pick up the option on Hammel (which is really affordable) and see what the market is for him. Not many pitchers available in free agency and you could probably nab a prospect or two that you like for him. Flip those for some bullpen help.

I doubt they pay Chapman big money. Same for someone like Jensen. I don't think Theo has ever gone out and spent huge money on his bullpen. They have some arms there already and can sort out the rest through the trade market without paying someone $20 million to come out of the pen.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

What happened to Rondon, is he in witness protection?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

RC Cola posted:

You're welcome! Cubs avatars shall flood the forums!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

TMMadman posted:

You're welcome! Cubs avatars shall flood the forums!

Zo Cubs Zo

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

RC Cola posted:

Chicago Fire exists too

I will never cease to be amused that a city has a pro sports team named after its biggest disaster. That would be like having the New Orleans Hurricanes or the New York Jets.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Really seems backwards to me. Seems like they should END inside of Wrigley.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So there must have been teams who made it to the World Series with only one dominant ace on their pitching staff before, who have tried the games 1-4-7 double short rest thing.

Has it ever worked out with the ace getting three wins?

I remember thinking, when seeing Cleveland was going to start Kluber 1-4-7 that short rest times one was probably okay but maybe a lot dicier twice in a row.

Kluber looked like a smoke throwing wizard in game 1, in game 4 seemed like the Cubs got a lot of contact and some base runners but just couldn't put together a rally to bring anyone home, and in game 7 he looked decidedly mortal. It just felt like, you can't just defy the laws of physiology willy nilly and expect to get away with it.

Same deal for Chapman throwing all those pitches in games 5 and 6 and coming into game 7. Still had triple digit heat but his command/location were really lacking.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/793992771002597377

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Baseball players are pretty much universally better against a pitcher the 2nd and 3rd times through the order in the same game. Allowing them to see the same pitcher for 8 or 9 plate appearances within a week and they'll usually take advantage.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Zwabu posted:

So there must have been teams who made it to the World Series with only one dominant ace on their pitching staff before, who have tried the games 1-4-7 double short rest thing.

I remember thinking, when seeing Cleveland was going to start Kluber 1-4-7 that short rest times one was probably okay but maybe a lot dicier twice in a row.

Kluber looked like a smoke throwing wizard in game 1, in game 4 seemed like the Cubs got a lot of contact and some base runners but just couldn't put together a rally to bring anyone home, and in game 7 he looked decidedly mortal. It just felt like, you can't just defy the laws of physiology willy nilly and expect to get away with it.

Same deal for Chapman throwing all those pitches in games 5 and 6 and coming into game 7. Still had triple digit heat but his command/location were really lacking.

In 2001 for the Diamondbacks Curt Schilling started 1-4-7, they won game 1 and 7, lost game 4 on a blown save. He ended with a 1.69 ERA on 21 1/3 in the series. His Game 7 line was 7.1 IP, 2 ER, 6 H, 9 K, 0 BB

That same series Randy Johnson started 2 and 6 and then came in as the last reliever in game 7. His series ERA was 1.04.

Schilling's a pile of trash for many many reasons but that duo really was something else.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Zwabu posted:

Depends on how you feel about pitching before they lowered the mound. Found this, which says 12 pitchers have done it with the last being Mickey Lolich in 1968, which was the year before the mound was lowered.

Glancing through the article it looks like 6 or 7 of those came before 1920, and a couple of them came when it was a best of 9 series.

e: Ah here we go

quote:

An interesting thing to note, of course, is that by 1920 there had been eight three-game winners. In only 17 World Series! In 62 Series since then, there have only been four such dominant pitchers. Why have things happened this way?

A tempting explanation would be that prior to 1921 several series were played under the five-of-nine format. This certainly helps account (postponements were also a factor) for what happened in the 1903 World Series when both Bill Dinneen and Deacon Phillippe won three times and a third pitcher, Cy Young, won twice in three decisions. But Stan Coveleski in 1920 was the only other hurler to capitalize on this circumstance.

Three other pitchers also were artificially aided in their quest for World Series glory - Wood, Faber, and Brecheen who all picked up one of their three wins in relief. This leaves only six pitchers who have won three times in starting assignments in World Series competition played under the best four-out-of-seven format. Four of these, Babe Adams, Lew Burdette, Bob Gibson, and Mickey Lolich, won theirs in do-or-die seventh games. Christy Mathewson and Jack Coombs somehow crammed their three triumphs into five-game series. Coombs was given vigorous batting support, while Mathewson came through with an unparalleled three shutouts. Both, of course, won in the days when starting pitchers normally finished what they started, each pitching well over 30 complete games in their big seasons.

They go on to note (amongst other reasons) that the playoff format can screw pitchers out of even having a chance to try this. If your ace is having to pitch game 7 in the NLCS he's not going to be able to start game one of the World Series.

Oh and Jesus that's an old rear end article huh? 62 series since 1920, be nice if there was a date thrown on that so I knew I was reading something from 1982. I'm fairly sure no one's done it since 1982 though.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 4, 2016

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Goodpancakes posted:

What happened to Rondon, is he in witness protection?

His slider is

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Really seems backwards to me. Seems like they should END inside of Wrigley.

End in the large open air place that holds far more people

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Grittybeard posted:

Oh and Jesus that's an old rear end article huh? 62 series since 1920, be nice if there was a date thrown on that so I knew I was reading something from 1982. I'm fairly sure no one's done it since 1982 though.

Oh Randy Johnson did it in 2001 but as noted he was a reliever in game 7.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Pancakes posted:

N: My Judge this morning is wearing a Cubs hat on the bench.

V: I feel like this could get old quickly.

I was wearing my Cubs tie and Believe bracelet with my suit in court today. My District Judge is a Tigers fan, and he told me he was happy for me but he wanted the Indians to win to keep it in the AL Central. The Public Defender from Pittsburgh was ecstatic though.

I love the idea of a Cubs crew gang tag, though.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Somebody should also get a happy Bill Murray avatar

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Oh Randy Johnson did it in 2001 but as noted he was a reliever in game 7.

Curt Schilling did it in 2001.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Zwabu posted:

<------------------------

(Well, two wins and a five inning save)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Super Jay Mann posted:

Curt Schilling did it in 2001.

Curt started 3 games, Randy got the third win in relief in 2001.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Curt started 3 games, Randy got the third win in relief in 2001.

Wait I'm dumb I misread what the conversation was about.

Never mind me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Seriously though:

https://twitter.com/AlexPavlovic/status/794046918926090241

• Locked thread