Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

nimh posted:

hopefully best case scenario for clinton

Needs more arzy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Alan Smithee posted:

Lol if up don't think him and Kim haven't drunk cognac off a pleasure servants tits on an 18hole golf course

Hmm...Trump did secure the Dennis Rodman endorsement a while back...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ewe2 posted:

Yes, hence my confusion. Whatever the answers given, that's all statistically distributed anyway, it's not something you can game.
I think the idea is that they are given complicated but arbitrary data and are asked to do analysis tasks, but the data is the same between the skin rash and the gun control data sets. Like word problems in math tests.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

xthetenth posted:

That's the sort of environment where the alt-right spawned and where you pay for their presence with them driving out significantly cooler people who don't feel the need to go and get abused.

The idea of playing Internet detective and calling/mailing/death threatening people off internet posts didn't happen too frequently pre-2002 or so. That has more to do with the nature of "FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD: Secret Muslim?" email culture of unafraid racists airing their racist opinions, spilling out into an internet populace that increasingly has a profile with their real actual DMV-registered name out there somewhere.

It gets worse now, since previously you could throw away emails from Racist Grandma or try to set her straight in a 1:1 conversation, but now Facebook thinks all your friends and all her friends should see it in their news feeds and invite them to chime in.

Edit:

Paradoxish posted:

The whole internet versus real life distinction was always idiotic and no different from being abusive as hell to someone over the phone and then laughing it off because the phone isn't real life.

That distinction was always kind of the origin of this site. The internet has always been relatively meaningless compared to real life, thus you can respond to legal threats with Leonard J Crabs letters that maybe you wouldn't laugh off if they were backed with real actions . It's not like goons were responding to random questions with "punch her in the oval office" in their daily, real lives.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 4, 2016

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Bethesda games are actually garbage, which is another possible reason why they attract Trump supporters

If only they ever figured out how to make competent or fun game mechanics, but nope, same game with same bad engine and different skins since 2005-2006

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like I do think people should probably be allowed to say moronic poo poo as a teenager without it following them for their entire lives, but I think that we can work that out without some of the problems anonymity have provided. It's pretty obvious in places like Twitter now, but even in the early days of Facebook, when I was an admin on a huge Feminist group, all of the people posting misogynist poo poo were fake names (in one instance, directly claiming that he was posting anonymously so that he wouldn't get kicked out of the military). There was a problem at the time where large groups had enough lag in the members list that you couldn't necessarily boot people faster than they could make a new name and re-register. The problem with anonymity is that people invade every single safe space they can.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Bicyclops posted:

Like I do think people should probably be allowed to say moronic poo poo as a teenager without it following them for their entire lives, but I think that we can work that out without some of the problems anonymity have provided. It's pretty obvious in places like Twitter now, but even in the early days of Facebook, when I was an admin on a huge Feminist group, all of the people posting misogynist poo poo were fake names (in one instance, directly claiming that he was posting anonymously so that he wouldn't get kicked out of the military). There was a problem at the time where large groups had enough lag in the members list that you couldn't necessarily boot people faster than they could make a new name and re-register. The problem with anonymity is that people invade every single safe space they can.

Should have charged them :10bux: to re-reg.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Pastrymancy posted:

She's campaigning with Pharell Williams as a surrogate

Based on the "Blurred Lines" I'd assume he was a Trump supporter.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Cingulate posted:

I had heard on some crazy MRA site IIRC? it was this amazing feminist masterpiece. I only saw like the first 15 minutes or so?

Hah for the benefit of the thread I just checked and the 15 minute mark of Fury Road is Nux's introduction scene, hearing the war drums and headbutting Slit.

:mediocre:, cingulate, :mediocre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3fLazkWCgE

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

a shameful boehner posted:

Bethesda games are actually garbage, which is another possible reason why they attract Trump supporters

If only they ever figured out how to make competent or fun game mechanics, but nope, same game with same bad engine and different skins since 2005-2006

So that's like three games ago.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Craptacular! posted:

The idea of playing Internet detective and calling/mailing/death threatening people off internet posts didn't happen too frequently pre-2002 or so. That has more to do with the nature of "FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD: Secret Muslim?" email culture of unafraid racists airing their racist opinions, spilling out into an internet populace that increasingly has a profile with their real actual DMV-registered name out there somewhere.

It gets worse now, since previously you could throw away emails from Racist Grandma or try to set her straight in a 1:1 conversation, but now Facebook thinks all your friends and all her friends should see it in their news feeds and invite them to chime in.

That's not what I was citing, I was citing how incredibly lovely people can congregate and bring back the sort of racism that had been shamed into the unuttered corners of society, justify it and promote it. When you've got the weight of society behind you, it's a lot easier to abuse people until they disengage so unless you've got committed anti-racists, the racists will drive all the minorities out. Frankly, the shitheads who thrive aren't worth it even if they drive nobody out, that they drive out decent people is just making things much worse (hah, tb, I used frankly there what're you going to do about it).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

xthetenth posted:

That's not what I was citing, I was citing how incredibly lovely people can congregate and bring back the sort of racism that had been shamed into the unuttered corners of society, justify it and promote it. When you've got the weight of society behind you, it's a lot easier to abuse people until they disengage so unless you've got committed anti-racists, the racists will drive all the minorities out. Frankly, the shitheads who thrive aren't worth it even if they drive nobody out, that they drive out decent people is just making things much worse (hah, tb, I used frankly there what're you going to do about it).
This is kind of a general thing, isn't it? Because it takes relatively few shitheads to really gently caress up the group. It's one thing if you get the occasional salty outburst but it's another when it's just a constant torrent of repetitive shitposting.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
So the guy who ghostwrote The Art of the Deal came to my school today and gave a really neat talk about his experience writing the book, and his life after.
I think his most like interesting point was the idea that we can and should use the example of Donald Trump to become more moral people ourselves--looking at him as an example of how not to be a good person can actually be really instructive re: how to be good.
He also made this great, albeit unscientific analogy: "Donald Trump is like a black hole--he has nothing inside, so he just keeps trying to draw everything--money, fame, attention toward himself."

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Nessus posted:

This is kind of a general thing, isn't it? Because it takes relatively few shitheads to really gently caress up the group. It's one thing if you get the occasional salty outburst but it's another when it's just a constant torrent of repetitive shitposting.

Yeah, you either need a cohesive group opposed to it, good moderation policy or both, because otherwise you start suffering attrition and before you know it a lot of people have been driven out.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

nimh posted:

hopefully best case scenario for clinton

Nope, this is Hillary's best case scenario

Dr. Killjoy posted:

I picked Stormcloaks because all elves must die :colbert:
I'll play as a Dunmer all the way though. They're Good Ones

If you're not an Argonian Dovahkiin, well, I just don't know how you're living your life so wrong.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1313881651/grand-old-academy-a-satirical-dating-sim

:suicide:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Is it just me or is the information from Florida really good lately?

I'm starting to worry a lot more about losing northern states instead.

http://heavy.com/news/2016/11/early...aphics-numbers/

quote:

Early Voting Results: More Women Voting in North Carolina & Florida
Published 9:52 am EDT, November 3, 2016 Updated 10:53 am EDT, November 3, 2016

In Florida, 4.5 million voters have already submitted their ballots, as of November 2. Data from ElectionSmith shows that 55 percent of those who voted are women and they have cast over 60 percent of all votes by registered Democrats so far.

However, ElectionSmith also notes that 75,000 more Republican women have voted than Republican men as well. More women voters with no party affiliation also voted more than men voters without a party affiliation by 22,000.

Exit polls from the 2012 election showed that 55 percent of the Florida electorate were women. Barack Obama won Florida women against Mitt Romney, 53-26.

In North Carolina, 2,098,000 people have already voted, according to an Upshot/Siena poll and data shows that 38.7 percent of the early voters are white women. That’s up 2.5 percent over 2012 at this point. Of the 525,095 unaffiliated voters that have already voted, 40.7 percent are white woman, an increase of 1.4 percent.

Mitt Romney won North Carolina in 2012, although he lost women vote there to Obama, 51-45. Women made up 56 percent of the total North Carolina electorate in 2012.

Nationally, Clinton has done better among women in polls than Trump, who has faced multiple sexual harassment allegations against him that he has all denied. A CBS/New York Times poll released on November 3 show Clinton with a 50-36 lead over Trump. However, the same poll shows that she has ground to make up among men, losing to Trump 38-49.

The latest CNN/ORC poll of 1,011 Floridians showed Clinton with a 50-42 lead among women over Trump. That poll was taken between October 27 and November 1 and the margin of error on that question was +/- 5 percent.

A Quinnipiac poll taken during the same period shows Clinton’s lead among women in Florida smaller, at 49-43. That poll shows a wider gender gap in North Carolina, where she is up over Trump 52-42 percent among likely women voters. Men back Trump 46-41 percent in North Carolina, according to the poll. Trump is up among men in Florida, 47-44 percent.

On November 1, WRAL/SurveyMonkey released a poll that showed Clinton up over Trump among North Carolina women 51-44. Among men, Trump leads 58-35 in that poll, which was conducted between October 28 and October 31.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot
Twin Lamps is the best faction in Morrowind and I wish it was more fully fleshed out.

I just want to roleplay as Dunmer John Brown okay?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

a shameful boehner posted:

There's kind of no way Bethesda can win here. Morrowind was the very first one of these, and it's 15 years old and by all rights it should be remembered as amazing and astounding, because while it has all the usual bugs and faults it was also totally new and had never been done a dozen times. Instead, nobody noticed because it was too obscure, too opaque and too incomprehensible for the audience of the time.

Now that the audience does not expect/demand linear adventures and is able to enjoy open-ended games with a huge world, they are unhappy that the tech hasn't changed since the shittier, rough draft games they largely ignored.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
This is going to be the final map:

Hildawg's going to lose the stupid white midwestern states but will get AZ and NC along with the other swing states.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Cingulate posted:

I had heard on some crazy MRA site IIRC? it was this amazing feminist masterpiece. I only saw like the first 15 minutes or so?

Alternative answer: what makes you think I'm a smart person

Are you my dad? Because he did the exact same thing when I went to see it with him and a friend of mine in theaters.

My friend and I looked at him of course like he was goddamn insane because Fury Road is one of the best movies ever made.

and you didn't even see the kickass grannies

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I said it in the political cartoon thread and I'm saying it again here: No lesbian route where you can choose to date Hillary 0/10.

Although apparently meeting one of the stretch goals will make Carly Fiorina an option, but that just isn't the same.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Are you my dad? Because he did the exact same thing when I went to see it with him and a friend of mine in theaters.

My friend and I looked at him of course like he was goddamn insane because Fury Road is one of the best movies ever made.

and you didn't even see the kickass grannies

I met the guy who played Bennett from Commando (gay raider from Mad Max 2) and he seemed to feel that way about the furiosa stuff

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

xthetenth posted:

Whether you know it or not, you're really trying hard to blame 4chan and Reddit for the state of how things are now. But birtherism and crazy racism have existed long before them and have always been a cultural currency in certain regions of the country. It was nearly a goddamn decade ago that John McCain was trying to tell some old lady that Barack Obama was not a Muslim, when Reddit was a pale shadow of Digg. Years before that where a bunch of people were willing to go to bat that NYC's Muslim community didn't deserve a community center in Lower Manhattan because it was Too Painful. In many of these cases, people were on camera or being public with their opinions.

This stuff isn't caused by anonymity, it happens anyway, it's just that younger and more connected people are aware of how not to be publicly humiliated than the older generations are and anonymity is one such tool. They'll just keep doing it more as the diversity left keeps using callouts and outrage to shame people for what is basically wrongthink.

(And yes, I guess with that last paragraph I'm ideologically aligning with the alt-right, but it's hard not to read Tumblr callout posts and feel like the metronome is swinging too far in both directions.)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 4, 2016

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Jeb is super moe.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Not to be all unskewed polls here, but the demographics in these are pretty bad. Remington has the 30 and under age bracket voting at less than half the turnout of 2012. CNN/ORC literally includes no one under age 35.

EDIT: Also Remington has Clinton at about a 20pt margin among Hispanic voters, Obama had a 47pt margin over Romney.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 4, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Zerilan posted:

Not to be all unskewed polls here, but the demographics in these are pretty bad. Remington has the 30 and under age bracket voting at less than half the turnout of 2012. CNN/ORC literally includes no one under age 35.
Uhhh I'm pretty sure the rule here is that we are only allowed to make such remarks if they are in the direction of Domald Tromp

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

quote:

There’s something innately creepy and offputting about Ted. Nobody else at the Academy seems to like him, probably for good reason. Ted comes across as slimy and deceitful; he’ll try to win your sympathy by acting pathetic one moment, and then double cross you the next moment if it’ll benefit him. Whenever he tries to smile, it almost looks more like he’s grimacing in pain. It seems like he’s hiding something, deep, deep inside himself. Is it a heart of gold, or a terrible secret?

I liked this description.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Craptacular! posted:

There's kind of no way Bethesda can win here. Morrowind was the very first one of these, and it's 15 years old and by all rights it should be remembered as amazing and astounding, because while it has all the usual bugs and faults it was also totally new and had never been done a dozen times. Instead, nobody noticed because it was too obscure, too opaque and too incomprehensible for the audience of the time.

Now that the audience does not expect/demand linear adventures and is able to enjoy open-ended games with a huge world, they are unhappy that the tech hasn't changed since the shittier, rough draft games they largely ignored.

Except, Bethesda's games are largely enjoyed by quite a few people with the outlier mostly being people complaining on the internet. I also have no idea how Bethesda games are related to this election.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Vic Berger's Ted Cruz vines and videos owned so hard.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Whether you know it or not, you're really trying hard to blame 4chan and Reddit for the state of how things are now. But birtherism and crazy racism have existed long before them and have always been a cultural currency in certain regions of the country. It was nearly a goddamn decade ago that John McCain was trying to tell some old lady that Barack Obama was not a Muslim, when Reddit was a pale shadow of Digg. Years before that where a bunch of people were willing to go to bat that NYC's Muslim community didn't deserve a community center in Lower Manhattan because it was Too Painful. In many of these cases, people were on camera or being public with their opinions.

This stuff isn't caused by anonymity, it happens anyway, it's just that younger and more connected people are aware of how not to be publicly humiliated than the older generations are and anonymity is one such tool. They'll just keep doing it more as the diversity left keeps using callouts and outrage to shame people for what is basically wrongthink.

(And yes, I guess with that last paragraph I'm ideologically aligning with the alt-right, but it's hard not to read Tumblr callout posts and feel like the metronome is swinging too far in both directions.)
Yeah. The only fluke is r/the_donald which seems to be a weird, very specific subset of neckbeardians. Brogrammer lol retardants, berniebro rejects, white nationalists, Russian borises. It's a weird family of bedfellows that happens to possess enough numbers to influence an election and more tech savvy than your fwdfwdfwd gramma types because it's majority boy controlled while somehow flying under Reddit admin scrutiny

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Admiral Ray posted:

I liked this description.

Ted Cruz is tsundere-Chan

The mr Darcy if you will

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Alan Smithee posted:

Yeah. The only fluke is r/the_donald which seems to be a weird, very specific subset of neckbeardians. Brogrammer lol retardants, berniebro rejects, white nationalists, Russian borises. It's a weird family of bedfellows that happens to possess enough numbers to influence an election and more tech savvy than your fwdfwdfwd gramma types because it's majority boy controlled while somehow flying under Reddit admin scrutiny

It doesn't fly under reddit admin scrutiny. Admins have posted there several times telling them they need to stop loving up other subreddits and other moderators, but they won't ban the place because they don't want 16 tons of dogshit shipped to reddit HQ by trumpettes.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If we're posting maps, here's my guess.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Where have you gone, Joementum-aggio, our nation turns its lonely eyes to you, woo woo woo.

Also since talking about state stuff is ok: I voted yes on the euthanasia, minimum wage and tobacco tax proposals.

NO on the 2 primary change deals (I really want a primary instead of caucus but see no compelling reason why unaffiliated voters need to be let in, and the 'combined ballot' looks like a recipe for Hanging Chad 2: Throw Chad From The Train).

And a big fat HELL NO to the "lol let's make people get signatures from Durango to put an amendment on the ballot, it'll be awesome" amendment. If you don't like amendments, vote against them, but I'm not giving Pissant County a veto on what gets on the ballot if I have anything to say about it. :fuckoff:

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Craptacular! posted:

If you're willing to express a belief in public, you should have to own the social consequences of that belief.

Oh boo boo some racists lost their job for being racist, because that's the real tragedy, not all the lives they possibly hosed over and set back due to the color of the skin of the people they interacted with.

If you don't have the courage of the conviction to take a stand, for right or for wrong, what you express, you're a coward.

MLK Jr had the courage, so the Justine Saccos of the world can gently caress right off.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

"There’s something innately creepy and offputting about Ted."

:laffo:

edit: ah gently caress beaten

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Zerilan posted:

I hate being that guy but the CNN poll (and others from them) did not include literally zero people under 35. There were not enough people in that group to make a statistically significant prediction because the MoE was too high, but that is not the same as literally zero people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I said it in the political cartoon thread and I'm saying it again here: No lesbian route where you can choose to date Hillary 0/10.

Although apparently meeting one of the stretch goals will make Carly Fiorina an option, but that just isn't the same.

Stephen Crowder can finally realize his dream if he coughs up gets his fans to cough up the big bucks.

• Locked thread