Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

psychoJ posted:

Yeah I live in Cali. Might as well!

E: Wait, I guess Orange County has gone red for a while though. Hmmmmm...

I have another rhyme just for the occasion!

Your neighbour's brown, go ahead you clown!
Your neighbour's white, might get a fright :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Everyone knows it can't be racism if you say it in a calm voice.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
"Them there darkies just don't get the jobs and money, s'just natural. We can help because thats just the right thing to do as superior people upstanding citizens." - Prororogrossivator

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Is it the incoming or the outgoing senate who votes on the VP in case of a tie?

I love the absurd scenario where the democrats win the senate, but the presidential map is the one with red NH. (There isn't really a chance for it to happen, since it requires losing Nevada but winning Maine 2.) In that case it might end up being Trump/Kaine. Of course there would be riots though. After all, in that scenario, Clinton wins the popular vote by 2-3 points.

It really would be the perfect top for the most insane election in the last few decades.
I don't think this is the case any more, though it was for the first couple of elections. Trump would probably not want Kaine for vice president on the reasonable expectation that Kaine would probably call on his brother, the Undertaker, to raise a host of the dead to slay him.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Lol word policing actual white supremacist talking points.

What else do you want to call it

I mean you started off far above my level in effort but the truth is I have a low level of education, and I don't doubt that some of the things I say are due to exposure to racists given that I grew up in a very white town with a racist grandparent or two. These issues are not ones I'm all properly woke on and you can either mock me for it like I'm using "the blacks" or help me try to change. It's not like I totally refuse to change. Discussing important issues on social matters in the past has changed my mind or changed my behavior or thinking.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Help I grew up poor and refused to read things

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Craptacular! posted:

I mean you started off far above my level in effort but the truth is I have a low level of education, and I don't doubt that some of the things I say are due to exposure to racists given that I grew up in a very white town with a racist grandparent or two. These issues are not ones I'm all properly woke on and you can either mock me for it like I'm using "the blacks" or help me try to change. It's not like I totally refuse to change. Discussing important issues on social matters in the past has changed my mind or changed my behavior or thinking.

Stop projecting errors and effort issues.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Craptacular! posted:

Do your own homework. You haven't responded to one single thing I've said in good faith. You've only gotten more condescending and more openly racist. It is not some unreasonable, unattainable expectation for you to not espouse white supremacy. You have an internet connection. You can read and write. Your only path to decency is not getting your hand held by a black girl on the internet you've done nothing but be rude to. I am not here to serve you.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Everyone knows it can't be racism if you say it in a calm voice.

Exactly! That's why being stalked by store employees and being asked "can I help you find anything" isn't racist at all.

In all seriousness though, and I could be wrong since I just tried to catch up on you two's exchange just now, it seems like the disconnect is Craptacular! Either can't or hasn't stopped to consider that you've had to make this same case a million times over, while this could be their very first time being told these kinds of things.

So Craptacular! If you see my post, please try to think about that for a moment.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Tom Guycot posted:

I always wondered why no one ever made a side scrolling fighting game. Like a true side scroller street fighter- all the same moves and controls, but instead of a 1 on 1 fight, its just a straight side scroller with a boss at the end plus co-op. Beat em up games were never the same, you didn't have a bunch of signature moves, and they weren't on a single flat plane. How come no one ever made this game?

Kid Fenris posted:

Guardian Heroes fits your description pretty well.

Battle Circuit and Guardians also have lots of special moves, but they're not single-plane.
Yeah, Guardian Heroes was this exactly. Instead of a belt scroller it was a triple-plane beat em up with fighting game special moves, made exactly when Street Fighter clones were at their height of popularity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUCA8p0RldE

Also not all fighting games were single plane, Fatal Fury, for example, was a shameless Street Fighter clone but with dual planes, so Guardian Heroes counts. Battle Circuit was just a belt scroller.

If you go back to the oldest beat em ups, of course, they were single plane as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ZFuU_BPOo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPixc4qzg50

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 4, 2016

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016

cant cook creole bream posted:

But what if on election day 40% of those who already voted decide they want to nullify their early voting and redo it. You know, like Trump keeps telling them. That will definitely happen. Horserace!

In Nevada, there's a three way split in favor of Clinton: Trump, Johnson, and NOTAC. You can look at the historical to see how that's worked pretty much every general election.

All Democrats had to do was turn out early and vote Clinton. If they managed to screw up that very easy task with weed and gun control initiatives on the same ballot, then Democrats are the dumbest shits and deserve to be laughed at for decades.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Always that fallacy that it's the words that are the problem and not the ideas.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

stone cold posted:

I have another rhyme just for the occasion!

Your neighbour's brown, go ahead you clown!
Your neighbour's white, might get a fright :(

Eh, screw it, I'm gonna wear it.

BTW, I'm kinda dismayed by how into Trump people around me are(except my mom at least) just because Bernie Sanders didn't make it. My brother's girlfriend(who is otherwise v. liberal) literally believes Clinton and Obama directly sold arms to ISIS, thus giving them the power to overthrow the Syrian government, so she's going Trump. I really loving hate this election and I can't wait until the 8th.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Help I grew up poor and refused to read things

It's more like if you don't respond fast, you just leave time for one of the forum's busiest and fastest threads to dogpile you.

And I'm also upset because "lol word police literally a white supremacist talking point" poo poo is kind of bullshit as that term has never been exclusively the domain of white supremacists and has been used in many conversations. And considering that earlier TB was getting down on the term "mansplain" it's very similar behavior for someone well versed in talking about racism to respond to someone who is not with something to the effect of, "well of course a white supremacist would say that."

Two of my last few posts have been expanding myself because TB didn't like a word I used and has been doing that "hmm hmm hmm very telling" thing.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

psychoJ posted:

BTW, I'm kinda dismayed by how into Trump people around me are(except my mom at least) just because Bernie Sanders didn't make it. My brother's girlfriend(who is otherwise v. liberal) literally believes Clinton and Obama directly sold arms to ISIS, thus giving them the power to overthrow the Syrian government, so she's going Trump. I really loving hate this election and I can't wait until the 8th.

With that nuanced understanding of Syria she should be voting Johnson

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
Adding to TB and Craptacular!'s exchange, non Latino black Americans are 13% of the population.

If you are white and you do care to end white supremacy, the onus is onus is on you to learn up. You are the majority, you have the wealth and power. We will help explain of course, but please at least try to consider any guidance we offer for several minutes... Really try to put yourself in the shoes of a black person, before you get indignant and defensive. It's ridiculous.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

psychoJ posted:

Orange County is a hells ape, though it keeps getting better as time marches on. I'm very sorry about everyone except your mom being into Trump :(

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

psychoJ posted:

Yeah I live in Cali. Might as well!

E: Wait, I guess Orange County has gone red for a while though. Hmmmmm...

Mmmmmm whatchu saaaaaaayyyyyy

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Craptacular! posted:

It's more like if you don't respond fast, you just leave time for one of the forum's busiest and fastest threads to dogpile you.

And I'm also upset because "lol word police literally a white supremacist talking point" poo poo is kind of bullshit as that term has never been exclusively the domain of white supremacists and has been used in many conversations. And considering that earlier TB was getting down on the term "mansplain" it's very similar behavior for someone well versed in talking about racism to respond to someone who is not with something to the effect of, "well of course a white supremacist would say that."

Two of my last few posts have been expanding myself because TB didn't like a word I used and has been doing that "hmm hmm hmm very telling" thing.

It's not that you refused to read her posts it's that you refused to read anything, ever.

You're presumably an adult and you're here like "Pls explain Y black man is not de debil" . Just do your own homework man

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Craptacular! posted:

Dude what you were saying was a white supremacist talking point. Then you called my objection to your white supremacist talking point "word policing." That's the lol.

And we circle back to your hysterical focus on how the greatest problem with you saying bigoted things is that other people think poorly of you for it.

Craptacular! posted:

Always that fallacy that it's the words that are the problem and not the ideas.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Nov 4, 2016

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Mixodorian posted:

Craptacular! Either can't or hasn't stopped to consider that you've had to make this same case a million times over, while this could be their very first time being told these kinds of things.
Thank you for the consideration.
It's clear continuing that conversation any further that I'm swimming in the Olympic pool when I was only looking for wading pool level of depth. I was simply discussing social issues where some people who vote to the left are Not Progressive Enough for other people on the left and, sure enough, that's exactly what happened.

I'm taking one last look at the discussion here and going to bed, but I'm not posting further.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Nessus posted:

I don't think this is the case any more, though it was for the first couple of elections. Trump would probably not want Kaine for vice president on the reasonable expectation that Kaine would probably call on his brother, the Undertaker, to raise a host of the dead to slay him.

Obviously it's not what Trump wants. He wants straight 100% of the population voting for him. But as far as I see it, the incoming Senate chooses the VP while the incoming house chooses the president. Was that changed at some point in time? It looks like the 12th amendment agrees with me. In that weird case, (under the assumption that the dems win the senate) Trump/Kaine would be the eventual outcome.
I wonder what the betting odds for a party split would be. Also it would completely crash Predictit, because the price for "Kaine is VP" and "Hillary wins" are linked.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Craptacular! posted:

It's clear continuing that conversation any further that I'm swimming in the Olympic pool when I was only looking for wading pool level of depth. I was simply discussing social issues where some people who vote to the left are Not Progressive Enough for other people on the left and, sure enough, that's exactly what happened.

I'm taking one last look at the discussion here and going to bed, but I'm not posting further.

You weren't "simply discussing social issues" you were saying very racist things and being very rude. Now you're taking your ball and going home like that's going to impress anybody. Do you think we're going to beg you to stay? Racism isn't welcome here.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

Truly everyone else is the problem, especially TB, not you! The problem simply is that You Are Not Progressive Enough. How enlightened and magnanimous of you.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dude what you were saying was a white supremacist talking point. Then you called my objection to your white supremacist talking point "word policing." That's the lol.

And we circle back to your hysterical focus on how the greatest problem with you saying bigoted things is that other people think poorly of you for it.
Reminds me of the parable of the Racist Tree.

God, though, it's just astonishing how a great many people are so mortified of being thought rude that they... don't... change their behavior or improve their manners at all? Nobody is asking someone to assume some pose of great deference. A brief and sincere apology to a specifically wronged person and moving on with a resolve to do better is all that etiquette demands, yet I feel many a person would rather face bullets than do that.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Racist Tree

By Alexander Blechman

Once upon a time, there was a racist tree. Seriously, you are going to hate this tree. High on a hill overlooking the town, the racist tree grew where the grass was half clover. Children would visit during the sunlit hours and ask for apples, and the racist tree would shake its branches and drop the delicious red fruit that gleamed without being polished. The children ate many of the racist tree's apples and played games beneath the shade of its racist branches. One day the children brought Sam, a boy who had just moved to town, to play around the racist tree.

"Let Sam have an apple," asked a little girl.

"I don't think so. He's black," said the tree. This shocked the children and they spoke to the tree angrily, but it would not shake its branches to give Sam an apple, and it called him a friend of the family.

"I can't believe the racist tree is such a racist," said one child. The children momentarily reflected that perhaps this kind of behavior was how the racist tree got its name.

It was decided that if the tree was going to deny apples to Sam then nobody would take its apples. The children stopped visiting the racist tree.

The racist tree grew quite lonely. After many solitary weeks it saw a child flying a kite across the clover field.

"Can I offer you some apples?" asked the tree eagerly.

"gently caress off, you goddamn Nazi," said the child.

The racist tree was upset, because while it was very racist, it did not personally subscribe to Hitler's fascist ideology. The racist tree decided that it would have to give apples to black children, not because it was tolerant, but because otherwise it would face ostracism from white children.

And so, social progress was made.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

stone cold posted:

Orange County is a hells ape, though it keeps getting better as time marches on. I'm very sorry about everyone except your mom being into Trump :(

It's mainly the people at my work I guess, almost everyone is into Republican/right wing politics. Sucks rear end, but thankfully the internet(aka peeps I follow on Twitter and here) are good people. :unsmith:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Looks decent, but I'm not seeing anything like a 13 point lead. The dems will probably win it by slightly less than they did last time.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Charlz Guybon posted:

Looks decent, but I'm not seeing anything like a 13 point lead. The dems will probably win it by slightly less than they did last time.
13 point lead in early voting, I think.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

stone cold posted:

Truly everyone else is the problem, especially TB, not you! The problem simply is that You Are Not Progressive Enough. How enlightened and magnanimous of you.

I am a very perennial poster on this site and also a dark skinned black man. If he is stopping now and saying he will think on what was said, let him be for now.

If he comes back and keeps saying gently caress poo poo, rip him to shreds. For now though let him think despite how he's been so far.

I had to win over a family of Iranians, as well as many other people similar to him. It is insanely annoying especially if they're white and acting like you owe them a long drawn out explanation, but if he is ceding for now so let's let him go and think.

It will be worth if it he comes to understand. If he is a regularly poo poo headed poster, please disregard this post.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
For anyone new to all this that adventure with Crappy is pretty much a perfect textbook case of how this poo poo usually goes. The vague but oh-so-reasonable concerns that perhaps PC culture goes to far. The forays into more and more blatant racism. The outrage at not being welcomed with open arms. The orders to educate. The sniffing about how ill-treated they have been, and finally the ball-taking and home-going.

Mixodorian posted:

If he is a regularly poo poo headed poster, please disregard this post.

He is.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Craptacular! posted:

It's thoroughly exhausting to be someone's personal guide through intersectional issues. Feeling entitled to guidance, or casting blame when someone reacts with anger, is not gonna help you grow or improve things as a whole. Try to understand another's perspective. If it's not clear, don't cast blame. Keep looking.

If you have a close friend who can help you with this - great! Don't ever ever ever ever take them for granted.

On top of that, read. A lot.

For anyone new to all this that adventure with Crappy is pretty much a perfect textbook case of how this poo poo usually goes. The vague but oh-so-reasonable concerns that perhaps PC culture goes to far. The forays into more and more blatant racism. The outrage at not being welcomed with open arms. The orders to educate. The sniffing about how ill-treated they have been, and finally the ball-taking and home-going.

PLEASE LISTEN TO TB, SERIOUSLY JESUSFUCK

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mixodorian posted:

I am a very perennial poster on this site and also a dark skinned black man. If he is stopping now and saying he will think on what was said, let him be for now.

If he comes back and keeps saying gently caress poo poo, rip him to shreds. For now though let him think despite how he's been so far.

I had to win over a family of Iranians, as well as many other people similar to him. It is insanely annoying especially if they're white and acting like you owe them a long drawn out explanation, but if he is ceding for now so let's let him go and think.

It will be worth if it he comes to understand. If he is a regularly poo poo headed poster, please disregard this post.
Huh. Was it Iranian-Americans or straight up Iranians? At least someone from Literally Another, Non-English-Speaking Country may fairly plead ignorance of cultural nuance.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Dota 2 thread knew, they knew, man

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Nessus posted:

Huh. Was it Iranian-Americans or straight up Iranians? At least someone from Literally Another, Non-English-Speaking Country may fairly plead ignorance of cultural nuance.

Parents came over during the 1979 revolution, my fiancée was raised in New York as an American.

My girl was fine, her family was not thrilled to see their daughter bring home a lanky dark skinned boy. It took some doing, but they came around.

And I agree, it was hard to get mad at my soon to be in-laws considering their background. That's totally fair, it was tough though cuz when they came here they wanted to forget Iran. The father is a chunky curly olive dude who tries to pass as a Sicilian Italian man in New York, with some success lol.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Okay gently caress it why not, because this deserves closure.

You weren't "simply discussing social issues" you were saying very racist things and being very rude. Now you're taking your ball and going home like that's going to impress anybody. Do you think we're going to beg you to stay? Racism isn't welcome here.
I don't understand what you're defining as racism anymore, though. You initially responded to me using, as an analogy, an example of a person who opposes racism but doesn't see repetitions as the answer. You responded with a calm, great post about not jumping defensively at people like they're calling you a monster. It made sense to me, because in essence I was talking about the rejection and disassociation that can be felt from a cause when it goes to a point that I feel is too far.

I then absent-mindedly threw in AA as another controversial corrective measure, one I support myself but don't consider the people who don't to be modern day monsters as much as misguided egalitarians (after all, in a truly egalitarian place, AA makes no difference at all since there would be no racial bias in play.) That raised you into a more antagonistic stance, and then my "whoa chill out I am not ready to debate this with you at this level" contained another term that apparently is frequently coded with internet white supremacists.

At the end of the day, I was using race only as a go-to analogy for a multifaceted social justice problem with people who are understanding but have differences of opinion on how to solve. I didn't want to even try to play hardball with you on it. Unless any kind skepticism to reparations is equitable to white supremacism in this thread, in which case, well, news to me; that's not a common viewpoint in the circles I travel in so I started off on a bad presupposition. I really didn't mean to have this lousy exchange and I'm sorry that I offended you and said awful things because I really am trying to be a better person about these things through interacting with people.

[Edited to smooth it out]

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Nov 4, 2016

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016

Charlz Guybon posted:

Early vote totals assuming even a small 5% crossover from Republicans still has Clinton handily ahead. At this point, even if every single Republican in the state turned out and the Democrats stayed home completely, Clinton still wins Nevada and the country.

It's over. Clinton is the next President.

I don't understand the level of arzy that goes on here when you can go right to the Nevada Secretary of State's website and see the same numbers for yourself. Why do people think Nevada Democrats are gong to cross party lines and vote Trump?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

First poll of the day, Roanoke gives VA to Clinton 45-38; was +9 just after Hollywood Access tape.

Tracking polls so far:

USC/LAT 46.9/43.4 T (down from 47.5/42.5)
IBD 44/44 for the third day in a row

Speaking of the IBD one, I do question its partisanship; the last three headlines on their results were a variation of "race tied despite CLINTON SCANDAL".

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Nov 4, 2016

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
Remember when a presidential candidate bragged about being a rapist on tape and everyone forgot about it a month later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Wyld Thang posted:

I don't understand the level of arzy that goes on here when you can go right to the Nevada Secretary of State's website and see the same numbers for yourself. Why do people think Nevada Democrats are gong to cross party lines and vote Trump?

Because people are, quite legitimately, absolutely terrified of a straight up fascist taking over the most powerful nation on Earth. Happily the signs are positive but I fault no one for being very worried until Clinton is officially declared the winner.

• Locked thread