Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Cojawfee posted:

Those are called basketballings.

Excuse me, please do not break the Spla2oon NDA, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Rexroom posted:

Huh, there are rumors that suggest the next Monster Hunter isn't coming to the Switch. Allegedly Sony paid a zillion yen to Capcom for PS4 exclusivity because - unlike in the rest of the world - there hasn't been a killer app for the Japanese market. And Monster Hunter would fit that bill. The rumor also says the contract specifically excludes Nintendo's Switch, so the new Monster Hunter could be ported to the XBone and PC if need be. This fits with interviews about Capcom wanting to capture the western audiences, so they're thinking of adapting the series to our tastes.

I can easily see how the monster hunter division would be upset they have to put more effort in then just porting forward 97% of content and textures because you'll only ever see it at 240p

if they're going to go hd and focus on a higher fidelity it makes way more sense to shop around for an exclusivity contract and some extra bankroll then to gamble on what is ostensibly a vita but a brand new portable/console handheld that can easily bomb in japan (their biggest monhan marketplace)

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Sunning posted:

Also on Steam, The King Of Fighters XIII has outsold Street Fighter V two to one.

this one surprises the poo poo out of me because king of fighters is not good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

checksin posted:

Nah its cool.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

checksin posted:

You are very dumb!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zolthorg posted:

I can easily see how the monster hunter division would be upset they have to put more effort in then just porting forward 97% of content and textures because you'll only ever see it at 240p

if they're going to go hd and focus on a higher fidelity it makes way more sense to shop around for an exclusivity contract and some extra bankroll then to gamble on what is ostensibly a vita but a brand new portable/console handheld that can easily bomb in japan (their biggest monhan marketplace)

The one thing that doesn't make sense about the rumor is supposedly the exclusivity contact is because they need a killer app in Japan, but Capcom is planning to take the money and use it to make the game cater to western gamers.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

greatn posted:

The one thing that doesn't make sense about the rumor is supposedly the exclusivity contact is because they need a killer app in Japan, but Capcom is planning to take the money and use it to make the game cater to western gamers.

they can just release monster hunter XXX next year in japan for 3ds again, and have it still be 240p and use marginally more of the same models and textures and content as the last 4-5 games

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
monster hunter should never be on a non-portable system again.

it's bad enough it's going back to one screen.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

It was squee and French as gently caress. It's worth seeing if you want something to list on your OKCupid profile that'll help your reply odds, assuming you're a dude.

thanks

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

DoctorWhat posted:

What's that? Options for how people want to play? Thanks nintendobama

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

stop pushing your weird hosed up agenda that touch screen anything wasnt godawful
having more then 240p worth of loving pixels to display will handily handle any extra ui indicators you might have needed jesus

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

DoctorWhat posted:

You are a nut.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Maybe he just has really tiny hands or something.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Sorry but screen resolution doesn't mean anything and monhun, like animal crossing, is worthless if you can't take it with you

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

also worthless if you can

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
If only The Nintendo Switch was some sort of device that can be used for home gaming that many crave but also handheld gaming for people who wish to game on the road...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Monhun on the switch will be good but i'd rather play at 240p with two screens than 1080p with one.

Monhun on ps4 or xbone would be unplayable even at 1080p120fps because i would have to sit down and play it at home looking at a tv, which is frankly unthinkable

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Monster Hunter with proper controls on a portable system is ideal. Luckily, that's what we're getting with the Switch

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

If only The Nintendo Switch was some sort of device that can be used for home gaming that many crave but also handheld gaming for people who wish to game on the road...

if you are gaming on the road, eyes on the road.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

DoctorWhat posted:

Monhun on the switch will be good but i'd rather play at 240p with two screens than 1080p with one.

Monhun on ps4 or xbone would be unplayable even at 1080p120fps because i would have to sit down and play it at home looking at a tv, which is frankly unthinkable

Where the gently caress are you playing MH where you arent paying 100% attention to the game.

I see the argument for old-school rpgs being better on handheld because you can barely pay attention and grind a bit. But mh is a weird long form game with non friendly pausing.

I don't get it.

Why are you against people even having the option for a not poo poo resolution and screen of their choice?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

a.lo posted:

if you are gaming on the road, eyes on the road.

A great deal of people use public transportation.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

Where the gently caress are you playing MH where you arent paying 100% attention to the game.

I see the argument for old-school rpgs being better on handheld because you can barely pay attention and grind a bit. But mh is a weird long form game with non friendly pausing.

I don't get it.

Why are you against people even having the option for a not poo poo resolution and screen of their choice?

It's not about paying attention, it's about ensuring that the portable version of the game remains feature-complete and the primary platform because I take the subway for two+ hours every day and when I'm home I'd rather play lying in bed or reclined on the couch than sitting up straight peering at a TV.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

DoctorWhat posted:

It's not about paying attention, it's about ensuring that the portable version of the game remains feature-complete and the primary platform because I take the subway for two+ hours every day and when I'm home I'd rather play lying in bed or reclined on the couch than sitting up straight peering at a TV.

Hopefully the Switch has decent battery life, in your case.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I don't need exceptional battery life, really. I hook up to outlets even when I'm out of the house, I'm always topped off. I'm confident Nintendo will find a reasonable balance.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

To be honest, two screens never added a whole lot to gameplay to me. It wasn't that intrusive or anything, but even in RPGs where complex inventory management would be cool to do on the fly, you still had to pause most games to do any of that. Now it's just used for adding a couple of extra buttons? And if they put the stats of your party down there, it really just draws your attention away from the action which is distracting.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Shovel Knight (especially Plague) plays way better with two screens. See also MMZX Advent, and uh, Monster Hunter (which is a multiplayer game you can't actually pause during co-op). Or Zelda 64/LBW on 3DS and its effortless inventory management that empowers you with your whole toolkit and makes for a far more streamlined gameplay experience.

Now, I will say that nothing means it HAS two be two discrete screens. A customizable hotbar or two using the Switch's touchscreen, perhaps paired vertical hotbars serving as pillarboxes combined with a dedicated hud-strip that minimized UI/Game view overlap could be an effective solution that retained gameplay benefits while, as a bonus, reducing the rendering resolution slightly and possibly improving performance. As someone who'd take 600p60 over 720p30 any day, I'd embrace that with open arms.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DoctorWhat posted:

You can actually recline on a couch and watch TV at the same time

#lifehacks

Spellman
May 31, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

Shovel Knight (especially Plague) plays way better with two screens. See also MMZX Advent, and uh, Monster Hunter (which is a multiplayer game you can't actually pause during co-op). Or Zelda 64/LBW on 3DS and its effortless inventory management that empowers you with your whole toolkit and makes for a far more streamlined gameplay experience.

I suppose those are good examples and I've played them all. But they're so few and far-between that it never really felt like a game changer. I often feel distracted by the bottom screen. And I remember a lot of missed opportunities in the 12 or so years that dual screen gaming has been a thing. But I'm also glad they don't shoe-it-in anymore as much.

I guess what I'm saying is: no big loss

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Sorry but screen resolution doesn't mean anything and monhun, like animal crossing, is worthless if you can't take it with you

portable-only animal crossing was idiotic

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Probably the biggest loss from no dual screen, at least imo, would be Etrian Odyssey. Always having the map up and being able to update very quickly really defined the flow of that series. Even if there is an EO6, I'm worried it'll lose a lot of charm without dual-screen gaming.

Also, I think it's kinda interesting to think about how the DS was not just sold as a handheld with two screens, but also, one that had a touchscreen. I remember that being met with a similar amount of skepticism. It took a while for a game to justify that feature (probably Kirby: Canvas Curse), but now it's a pretty common technology for playing games.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

please answer honestly, this is a safe space without judgement

do you think it's hard to look at a TV

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's not HARD, but handheld screens are easier.

wicka posted:

portable-only animal crossing was idiotic

Explain this backwards-rear end opinion. Console animal crossing was idiotic.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

terrible netcode/online experience and compressed to hell music and sound
bite sizing animal crossing prevented it from growing ans stagnated it as basically the same game with longer and longer and longer and longer and longer load times for every feature innovated because the 3ds is maybe as powerful as an n64

animal crossing plaza was a glorified clock/relaxemup with only a tree and half of a town plaza, but in new leaf you can do the most to customize your town out of all the games in the series, but if you sit and stand next to a single house and a couple flowers they fill your entire screen, on the ac plaza you had room to breathe and offer multiple zoom levels and appreciate the scale that would exist if you could have ten animals celebrating and a plaza and small insects jumping around etc.
taking the game away from consoles really choked the immersion, out of all the games in the series i played city folk the longest because it felt like a non claustrophobic wild world

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 4, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

i have a TV and a couch and i spent hundreds of dollars on each and i like to sit on the latter while i look at the former

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My couch was free and smells a bit weird but I still enjoy sitting on it to play games

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Television, handhelds, even the switch are just black mirrors. Maybe it should be harder to look at them, that way you can't easily look at yourself *nods*

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i'm going to play the new animal crossing, and most switch games, exclusively in docked mode. praise nintendo

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Phantasium posted:

oh thank christ Sunning is here.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Aren't kids at school and commuters the only demographics interested in dumb slow games about capturing monsters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Sony paying to offset millions of 3ds/switch sales from MH is pretty dumb imo because paying developers to not develop games is dumber than paying them to develop games

• Locked thread