Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jerusalem posted:

I absolutely loved the scene where Strange does his badass "Okay it's time to get serious" gesture and the cape starts rubbing at the blood on his cheeks like an overprotective mother, and he's irritably trying to stop it because it's messing with his moment :allears:

Christ everything about the cape was irritating. It was like the magic carpet in Aladdin except this isn't Aladdin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Waiting to see it now very excited Dr. Strange is one.of my favorites. Didn't get 3d can't handle the graphics and it's never done anything for me

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Man, I think this one might become my favorite Marvel film visually, the effects work was great. Really liked the whole thing though I find myself agreeing with SimplySimon's assessment of Strange's character. I do appreciate that, at the end, he's not yet Sorcerer Supreme and his hands aren't fixed yet.

Did think that the ending with Strange goofily wearing down Dormammu with his super-time powers was kind of weak and silly.

I also really hope to see some snarky Tony/Stephen interplay in the future.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I kind of liked that, because the dark dimension has no time, which is why It was attractive to the villain so Strange used something Dormammu had no concept of to force a stalemate since he knew he couldn't win. It's a trick that can't really work more than once most likely, but it was a good one given the established rules in my opinion.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Loved it. People say it's a by the numbers origin which is kind of true but that's all origins. Ending was perfect and just like totally a Dr Strange thing.

Visual effects were phenomenal as others have said.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I have to say I was not prepared for Benedict's American accent, and I was getting STRONG House MD vibes, like they were practically the same character. But after a few minutes I was good and loved it. Also I thought the ending was clever and a nice twist: it's the final batt- oh poo poo we already lost. Well let's fight backwards through time then trick a god using time! Fantastic stuff.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
The movie owned.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

tsob posted:

Even discounting that in the Ancient One's final scene Strange flat out asks "so I could heal my hands?" and she says that he can. The dialogue isn't even ambiguous, so I've no idea how he got the idea that Strange could never do so. On top of that, the final scene in the movie proper is Strange putting on his cracked watch, and then pausing to look at the scars on his hand because they've started to heal. Not only that, but the stinger of Mordo taking the magic that one guy uses to heal his cracked spine sets it up so that Mordo is out to get Strange in a sequel movie as part of his agenda, since he doesn't think people should be using magic for things like that and upending the natural order. That motivation is a another reason for the two to be set against each other (though I presume the relationship will be healed after a second or third movie), with Mordo able to do something to partially cripple Strange by removing his healing. Not having Strange's hands heal upends that possible antagonism, which is silly.

I don't think the Ancient One could actually 'heal' his hands in a medical sense though. She can cheat and use magic to power them, to have them act and look as if they were healed like Pangborn but it doesn't last. At the end of the movie, Mordo doesn't break Pangborn's back or cast a spell to gently caress him up, he just pulls out the magic that was sustaining it.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This movie sucked tremendous rear end, but sometimes it looked cool.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

This movie flew by. I really really enjoyed it and the action sequences were fantastic.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Special preview of the new Marvel logo ahead of this movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGFUijdwWdk

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Jerusalem posted:

I absolutely loved the scene where Strange does his badass "Okay it's time to get serious" gesture and the cape starts rubbing at the blood on his cheeks like an overprotective mother, and he's irritably trying to stop it because it's messing with his moment :allears:

It was his tears that the cape was mopping up, not his blood. It was after he shared with Rachel his emotional moment

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Kegslayer posted:

I don't think the Ancient One could actually 'heal' his hands in a medical sense though. She can cheat and use magic to power them, to have them act and look as if they were healed like Pangborn but it doesn't last. At the end of the movie, Mordo doesn't break Pangborn's back or cast a spell to gently caress him up, he just pulls out the magic that was sustaining it.

Yeah, this was my take on things. No actual healing, just faking it by powering the afflicted area with magic.

One thing not mentioned that I really loved: Strange losing his poo poo having to kill someone.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 4, 2016

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Movie sorta sucked. Or was just aggressively mediocre, I can't decide, but definitely worse than most Marvel movies.

It's hard to pinpoint exactly why I thought it fell so flat - but I think it's a combination of pacing, editing, and script. The movie sort of just starts with this wizardry battle, like, here's what this movie is going to be, look at all these effects, this is what you will be staring at for the next two hours. There's a few points where it tries to make it even craaaaazier later on but doesn't really pull it off as there's no build-up.

Compare to the first Iron Man: there's a slow progression from Stark just walking in a crappy armored suit, to blasting off uncontrollably, to flying around in cool stylish superhero armor. It builds up to the fantastical visuals, and the result is a lot more exciting. Or hell, compare to the warped gravity hall-way fight in Inception. It's just two guys jumping in a corridor but it comes across way more exciting and impactful when the rest of the movie has built up to that, and it's edited in with a dramatic swell of music.

Strange just shows you the crazy effects right off the bat with characters that don't as much as bat an eyelid at the things happening around them. Imagine if that starting action sequence was not there - you'd be completely caught off guard when the movie turns into a weirdo psychedelic mushroom trip. But I suppose Marvel movies have to play it safe and be very upfront with what they are. Look, there's cool stuff in this movie, we promise, just suffer through the boring act 1.

Some good stuff like a few funny jokes and the ending time loop gambit. And I didn't pay for my ticket so whatever.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lady Galaga posted:

It was his tears that the cape was mopping up, not his blood. It was after he shared with Rachel his emotional moment

What I liked most about that scene was that the Cloak of Levitation did it as soon as Strange popped its collar to get the comic book look. It was a deliberate deflation of what would otherwise have been a super cheesy moment.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I enjoyed the movie a lot. I don't know how I would rate it though because it really was a by the numbers Marvel movie and the pacing was so fast. Some things didn't work like some of the corny jokes (just wong? Like Adele?? Eminem?? Drake?? There were audible groans in my theater for this joke) and the plot just felt very standard. Effects wise it looked amazing and I thought all the performances were good.

But yeah the third act fell into that Marvel movie trap of "world destruction imminent, only the titular hero can save it."

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 4, 2016

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kegslayer posted:

I don't think she heals at all. She doesn't tell Strange she can heal his hands after all, only that they can be healed. It comes across more as just something that happens given time if you study this stuff, and as the movie says "elevate your mind", or presumably reach some kind of level of enlightenment. The Ancient One also talks about how Pangborn was using dimensional energy instinctually if I recall, so I imagine it's more a passive effect that can be forcibly removed.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The way I took it was that she didn't give a poo poo about him healing his hands. The hands didn't matter for magic (hence the amputee monk) - she knew he could be a grade-A magic dude and pushed him to follow that, rather than returning to his old life.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

She specifically said she didn't heal the guy's broken back - he did it himself. Logic dictates that the same would be true for Strange.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I could see Strange starting to Teach the disciples basic medicine and science on top of the magic stuff as a kind of "Magic can bring you halfway, but if you want something to last, you need to see someone to get it stitched/glued/whatevered back together.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's not something I look out for when going into an action movie but in hindsight it's nice to have one that doesn't give cars primary placement in any of the action scenes. Strange's origin has one obviously and I think there might be a few that they have to dodge throughout the film like when time reverses at the Hong Kong Sanctum or when Kaecilius creates a split in the mirror dimension for him and his homies to run between but that's it. The action happens either at the most intimate level, hand-to-hand, or at the other end of the spectrum where they're messing with reality.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
I loved this movie - the best analogy I can think of is that it's like MC Escher on acid I did end up getting one of those sweet, sweet posters at AMC:

This movie has quickly become one of my favorite Marvel movies so far - it has a ton of humor, the actors performances are exceptional and it's multi-dimensional action scenes (a mix of the reality-warping scenes of Inception and magic of Harry Potter to the extreme) are unlike anything I've seen in a comic book movie before.

The plot of the story was your by-the-numbers standard superhero origin story, but in my opinion, the overall narrative structure worked for me. A lot of my favorite movies, like A New Hope, revolve around an unlikely, reluctant hero who is enlightened and rises to become something greater. The journey of Steven Strange from an arrogant doctor who was obsessed with his life's work into his role as the mystic Sorcerer Supreme reminded me a lot of Luke Skywalker. Over the course of the movie, his perceptions of reality are challenged and as he discovers that our Earth is just one of many dimensions, he learns humility and the responsibility that comes with such power. I felt like we needed to see that evolution in order to root for him as the hero of the story.

How did everyone feel about Dormammu? I thought he was well-done for the most part, and I loved the infinite time loop sequence - "Dormammu, I've come for a bargain!" I felt like they needed to spend a little more time with Kaecilius, as he felt a little one-dimensional, but ultimately, he served his purpose in the story - he was a pawn of Dormammu, and nothing more.

I really liked the supporting cast as well - The Ancient One, Mordo and Wong were all great. To those who complain about the white washing of The Ancient One - I felt it worked within the narrative of the story. When Steven first meets her, I thought her introduction was brilliant with the purposeful misdirect. The Ancient One drew parallels to Steven Strange himself - she was an outsider who mastered the mystic arts and wasn't afraid to bend the rules if it was for the greater good. She served almost as a strong motherly figure, which ultimately helped Steven to stop being so arrogant. Mordo's journey was also quite interesting - he blindly and proudly followed the teachings of the Ancient One until he learns that she herself manipulated the Dark Dimension (against her own rules), which resulted in feelings of betrayal and disillusionment. It'll be interesting to see him as the villain in the next one with Teacher vs Student.

This movie is definitely in my top three Marvel films, and I'll absolutely see this again in theaters. The 3D was worth it!

Edit: Also, I had eaten two edibles beforehand, so that certainly made the reality-warping, kaleidoscope imagery all the better :D

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 4, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I wonder if the Abu Dhabi nexus will replace the London nexus in the next film.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

lol that there's no Nexus in the southern hemisphere. QUICK! TO THE BONNIE DOON NEXUS!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

well why not posted:

lol that there's no Nexus in the southern hemisphere. QUICK! TO THE BONNIE DOON NEXUS!

The Dark Dimension is above us. No need for protection from below.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

As a fan of Doctor Strange (a comic book about a kung-fu wizard) since I was a kid in the 1970s, I have to say that I really loving enjoyed this movie and am glad it finally got made. I'm wholly satisfied and am glad I got to see it in 3D. Now I gotta go see it in IMAX.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Does anyone feel like the final battle with Dormammu felt like something out of Rick and Morty? I feel like Dan Harmon must've contributed to the writing here, it felt Rick and Morty-y to annoy the hell out of Dormammu until he gave in. Also, the Cloak of Levitation's personality was amazing - it kind of reminded me of the magic carpet from Aladdin. The movie was wonderfully weird at times!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

As a fan of Doctor Strange (a comic book about a kung-fu wizard) since I was a kid in the 1970s, I have to say that I really loving enjoyed this movie and am glad it finally got made. I'm wholly satisfied and am glad I got to see it in 3D. Now I gotta go see it in IMAX.

It's totally worth it to see the film in IMAX, speaking from experience.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Does anyone feel like the final battle with Dormammu felt like something out of Rick and Morty? I feel like Dan Harmon must've contributed to the writing here, it felt Rick and Morty-y to annoy the hell out of Dormammu until he gave in.

It was incredibly clever, though I didn't get that vibe (I totally see it though).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The only problem I had with the "bargain" scene is that hearing Cumberbatch say Dormammu so many times made the name sound silly. I've heard the name all my life from reading/watching Marvel stuff but never so many times in a row and "-mammoo" is a fun couple of syllables when you're made to think about it.

Maybe that's part of why Ellis used him in Nextwave.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

Lobok posted:

The only problem I had with the "bargain" scene is that hearing Cumberbatch say Dormammu so many times made the name sound silly. I've heard the name all my life from reading/watching Marvel stuff but never so many times in a row and "-mammoo" is a fun couple of syllables when you're made to think about it.

I think that was the point imho. The name "Dormammu" sounds incredibly silly when you say it out loud, especially over and over again, which made the scene hilarious and super inventive.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

A visually-interesting MCU movie that doesn't fall apart in the finale? I wouldn't have thought it possible. Loved it. Easily the best thing they've done.

JOHN SKELETON posted:

But I suppose Marvel movies have to play it safe and be very upfront with what they are.

Going crazy with the visuals from the jump is not playing it safe. Building up to it so that you're ready for it is playing it safe.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I think that was the point imho. The name "Dormammu" sounds incredibly silly when you say it out loud, especially over and over again, which made the scene hilarious and super inventive.

I've not seen the film yet, but am a huge fan of the comics. Dormammu is at his best when he's simultaneously destroying worlds while being a petty, cackling, scenery-chewing megalomaniac. Especially when his smarter sister Umar is egging him on.

We're probably never gonna get MCU Umar though. :(

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

I've not seen the film yet, but am a huge fan of the comics. Dormammu is at his best when he's simultaneously destroying worlds while being a petty, cackling, scenery-chewing megalomaniac. Especially when his smarter sister Umar is egging him on.

For Dr. Banner's sake, I hope not.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Unless there's a Wizard of Oz-style reveal in subsequent films, be prepared that you're not getting the Dormammu of the comics.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does the ending draw from a comic storyline or is that something the screenwriters thought up?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Josh Lyman posted:

Does the ending draw from a comic storyline or is that something the screenwriters thought up?

The Eye generally does not have time control powers in the comics (in the interests of tying Strange into the MCU and to give him much more fantastical power levels the Eye in the movie is the Time Infinity Stone) so the ending is all new to my knowledge, though Strange does extremely early on in his comics get Dormammu, who is portrayed as being waaaaay too strong for Strange, into an honour-bound agreement to stay away from Earth. Not quite the "bargain", but the spirit is kinda the same of not actually besting him in combat or magic but eliminating the threat of Dormammu nonetheless.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

I wonder if they'll follow a similar storyline from the comics for the sequel: Dormammu found a loophole in the deal he made with Dr. Strange - if Stephen Strange were dead, he wouldn't have to keep the promise to stay away from Earth. Basically, Dormammu conceives a plan to have Steven Strange killed and reaches a deal with none other than Baron Mordo.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jonny_Rocket posted:

I wonder if they'll follow a similar storyline from the comics for the sequel: Dormammu found a loophole in the deal he made with Dr. Strange - if Stephen Strange were dead, he wouldn't have to keep the promise to stay away from Earth. Basically, Dormammu conceives a plan to have Steven Strange killed and reaches a deal with none other than Baron Mordo.
That doesn't sound like a loophole as much as eliminating the counter party of the agreement.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I really liked the fact that he got upset for taking a life it really differentiates him from other Marvel characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jonny_Rocket posted:

That seems like a hard one to justify though since Mordo's feelings about Dormammu are the complete opposite of what we're used to from the comics.

• Locked thread