Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

d0s posted:

I really doubt nintendo had much to do with the creation of that thing beyond game selection and marketing/branding. iirc it was designed by sone european company, which is really obvious when you look at it's very un-nintendo menu interface

The software was by Nintendo European Research & Development, the studio formerly known as Mobiclip. I don't know who designed the hardware but I heard it's being made/shipped from Europe so maybe NERD did the hardware as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think Iwata had a huge hand in the Switch so I'm hoping for another Wii success. I like handhelds for RPGs so if they get a Fire Emblem or Animal Crossing I'm sold.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

maybe NERD did the hardware as well.

So I can get this lap dance here for $60

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Wii production stopped in late 2013, so it's probably just as cheap and easy to design a new board from scratch (and take advantage of any new or improved capabilities that might be on offer) as it would be to try and restart the whole supply and manufacturing chain for the Wii line (which may not be possible).

It's pretty standard to be able to support production of every single part of a product for at least 7 years after its lifespan if it's an appliance or high volume high end good.. This means either stockpiling the estimated quantities to cover service or maintaining the ability to build. I'm not sure if circuit boards are usually stockpiled or if they maintain the ability to build. Anything plastic they just keep the molds for that time.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Brocktoon posted:

Is it kosher to discuss getting games running in RetroPie here?

Emulation talk is A-OK. Ask away.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I've been trying to get Galaga working in mame-libretro on my Raspberry Pi 3 but so far have been unsuccessful. When running Galaga on my PC through MAME, I know I need the namco BIN files in the same folder as the rom, and that works fine, but I'm not sure where to put these files in RetroPie. I've tried in the \roms\mame-libretro\ folder and in \bios\mame2003 folder and neither has worked. I've also tried rebuilding the galaga rom with clrmamepro from my roms folder that has the namco BIN files in it, but the resulting rom hasn't worked either.

Anytime I search for anything specific about getting Galaga running, I just see either people missing the namco BIN files on their PC or people pointing to the Managing ROMs page in the RetroPie wiki.

What am I missing?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

cosmicjim posted:

It's pretty standard to be able to support production of every single part of a product for at least 7 years after its lifespan if it's an appliance or high volume high end good.. This means either stockpiling the estimated quantities to cover service or maintaining the ability to build. I'm not sure if circuit boards are usually stockpiled or if they maintain the ability to build. Anything plastic they just keep the molds for that time.

That sounds reasonable for anything involving the Wii today, but it seems like a haphazard way to go about sourcing parts for a new product launch, particularly one that is being released this month at a low price point, probably to build up consumer enthusiasm for Black Friday and the December holiday season.

And it is especially so when the software/firmware in the device has to be customized for it anyway (and for something that was as multi-function as the Wii was, trying to strip that down could be more difficult and error-fraught than starting with a clean code base).

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Wii hardware is completely incapable of HDMI or otherwise HD output and so is the 2ds (well, of HD anyway) so it's no surprise to me that the NES Classic uses a fully-custom board.

Anyway what happens if you plug a nunchuck into the NES Classic? Or a NES Classic into a Wiimote for Smash Bros?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Brocktoon posted:

I've been trying to get Galaga working in mame-libretro on my Raspberry Pi 3 but so far have been unsuccessful. When running Galaga on my PC through MAME, I know I need the namco BIN files in the same folder as the rom, and that works fine, but I'm not sure where to put these files in RetroPie. I've tried in the \roms\mame-libretro\ folder and in \bios\mame2003 folder and neither has worked. I've also tried rebuilding the galaga rom with clrmamepro from my roms folder that has the namco BIN files in it, but the resulting rom hasn't worked either.

Anytime I search for anything specific about getting Galaga running, I just see either people missing the namco BIN files on their PC or people pointing to the Managing ROMs page in the RetroPie wiki.

What am I missing?

So, first up, you wanna make sure you've got the right romset for the time period it's made for (2003 was a pretty substantial fork, so you'll see that number a lot).

Second: keep it zipped. No need to have the loose files.

Third: if you boot up RetroPie and then connect a USB stick with a "\retropie" folder at its root, RetroPie will auto-populate the stick with the folders you need. Then, take it out, put it in your computer, put the zip(s) in the folder you want, then eject it from your computer. Put that into your RetroPie, wait until the drive stops flashing, then reboot the Pi.

If I missed a step somewhere, or you need more clarification, let me know.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DoctorWhat posted:

The Wii hardware is completely incapable of HDMI or otherwise HD output and so is the 2ds (well, of HD anyway) so it's no surprise to me that the NES Classic uses a fully-custom board.

Anyway what happens if you plug a nunchuck into the NES Classic? Or a NES Classic into a Wiimote for Smash Bros?

In the former, probably nothing. In the latter, I'd wager it'd function like a Classic Controller with just the NES buttons.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yeah, I looked it up. You wind up only able to do D-pad actions, so you literally cannot move. So that's fun.

Apparently it kicks rear end for Shovel Knight though. Which might help me get my uncle into it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

al-azad posted:

I think Iwata had a huge hand in the Switch so I'm hoping for another Wii success.

The concept of the Switch is "Play everywhere with everyone", which is the most Iwata thing ever. Bless his soul.

I do hope it's a success.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

fishmech posted:

Even still, GameCube was the worst selling Nintendo console until the Wii U, and that still managed to be in official production for 6 years (production halted the year after the Wii released).

The difference was that the GC sold poorly in the grand scheme of things compared to the PS2 and Xbox but it sold very well in what Nintendo considered their target demographic at the time (male children and young teens). Also much like the GBA, Wii and DS, it sold pretty well in it's twilight years, because parents with 7 year old kids don't actually care about cutting edge graphics or whatever they just want a kid friendly system that's cheap, has things they recognize on it and will shut the kids up for a while. Nintendo has always been on top of that poo poo, the top loader NES is another good example of them capitalizing on the whole pitch of "it's not the latest greatest thing, but the games are cheap and you know which ones are good!".

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pardon but I have a quick question.

I have been wanting to set up a retro gaming thing for a while but I am poor so it's not easy to justify all the money I figured I'd have to pour into it. Just getting a nice old TV seemed destined to cost me over $200. However I was recently at a local thrift shop getting clothes and randomly had a buddy of mine look for a nice old TV. He found one right away. Sony Trinitron with RGB. Maybe they all have RGB, I just know that RGB is apparently the best or something for SD stuff. It's about 30 or 32 in my friend estimated.

They want $20 for it. That is pretty much the best deal I can ever hope for, right? I ask because that SOB is heavy and I am of the pipeweed nerd variety and need to get a couple of my more muscular friends to not only lug that sucker out of the store but up to my second floor apartment. So it's pretty cheap but requires some commitment and planning.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am almost certain that TV doesn't have RGB. It probably has component video, which uses five RCA jacks, three of which are colored (wait for it) red, green, and blue!

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

Saoshyant posted:

The concept of the Switch is "Play everywhere with everyone", which is the most Iwata thing ever. Bless his soul.

I do hope it's a success.

Wii succeeded because it had a gimmick. A truly unique gimmick (for its time). Switch has no real gimmick. Switch will see a similar lifecycle to Wii U - handful of decent exclusives, nothing that'll set the world on fire. Diehards and fanboys will be there day one, buying up they Zelda game; most likely playing it yet again after grinding it on they laboring Wii U.

Nintendo will persist after Switch. However much longer is up to debate.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cindy Shitbird posted:

I am almost certain that TV doesn't have RGB. It probably has component video, which uses five RCA jacks, three of which are colored (wait for it) red, green, and blue!

Well drat. I hear Component is good too but RGB is supposed to be the absolute best I think?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Are you sure it has RGB and not component (YPbPr)? RGB was not a thing in consumer CRTs in America, so that seems a bit odd to me. Either way, a Trinitron with RGB or component is an excellent choice for retro games, but it's certainly not something you want to lug around without a team of bodybuilders or possibly a forklift on hand.

20 bucks sounds okay to me, although since I'm a Framemeister-using weirdo I don't know what people pay for decent CRTs these days.

e:fb but whatever. My Life in Gaming has some pretty good videos on this stuff, check them out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAi8AVj9GV8

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 4, 2016

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

NikkolasKing posted:

I have been wanting to set up a retro gaming thing for a while but I am poor so it's not easy to justify all the money I figured I'd have to pour into it.

Do you already have retro consoles and games from when they were current, or will you be looking to invest in these too? I mean, any hobby is going to be a moneysink, but retrogaming is a fairly expensive one that is only getting more expensive as time goes on and as more and more people try to get in on it. You can get by with trying to find deals (like that TV) or random boxes of NES games at Goodwill, but more and more people are aware of what they have and are pricing it accordingly.

Edit: on another topic, how do people feel about emulators that introduce overlays or scanlines to try to replicate a CRT look? I haven't seen a CRT TV in action in over 10 years and honestly can't remember enough about how the picture looked to tell you if the type of stuff replicated here looks decent or like absolute poo poo. And I can't decide if I like it or not.

Drone fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Nov 4, 2016

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Drone posted:

Edit: on another topic, how do people feel about emulators that introduce overlays or scanlines to try to replicate a CRT look? I haven't seen a CRT TV in action in over 10 years and honestly can't remember enough about how the picture looked to tell you if the type of stuff replicated here looks decent or like absolute poo poo. And I can't decide if I like it or not.

CRT filters definitely vary a lot in quality. Preference for them varies a lot and is really a personal preference rather than a "right" answer. That said, because of how scanlines work, some games graphically look "better" on a CRT because the scanlines sort of cause your brain to fill in the gaps and make the game look higher resolution and more detailed than it actually is. There are also cases where dithering in a game was employed with the explicit expectation that you would be using a really lossy video output (RF or composite) which would bleed the pixels together to generate colors which were impossible for the raw console to do, or transparency effects.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Drone posted:

Do you already have retro consoles and games from when they were current, or will you be looking to invest in these too? I mean, any hobby is going to be a moneysink, but retrogaming is a fairly expensive one that is only getting more expensive as time goes on and as more and more people try to get in on it. You can get by with trying to find deals (like that TV) or random boxes of NES games at Goodwill, but more and more people are aware of what they have and are pricing it accordingly.

What I really want is a consolized Neo-Geo MVS. I know a couple places to get them and I frequent the Neo Geo Forums. I just want to play all the SNK classics like King of Fighters, Last Blade, Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting....

I love the design, I love the combat, I love the music.... But I could never play arcade games growing up because I have vision problems .

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

i was in try and got a reasonably good score on donpachi (in 1st place), right after i finish entering my initials a japanese dude runs up from like the other end of the row, absolutely demolishes my score and kinda paces off as the name entry pops up without putting anything in with a hilarious "well that's taken care of" demeanor. japanese arcades are the best

e: he must have been in his 50's too

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

NikkolasKing posted:

Well drat. I hear Component is good too but RGB is supposed to be the absolute best I think?

For RGB you need to be more worried about the consoles, since almost all of them require modding to output RGB, and some of them (NES) can't even do it.

Also, if you are in the US, that TV definitely doesn't have RGB, it has component. As mentioned, RGB inputs weren't really a thing here except for on broadcast-grade gear.

Honestly I would concern myself with the consoles first and decide on the best tv afterwards.

Maybe start by telling us which consoles you want to play and we can tell you the best way to get them to look good on a budget.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Drone posted:

That reminds me that KozmoNaut recently posted a ton of good stuff on this topic in the obsolete tech thread. Too much to just quote here, but if you're at all interested, check his series of posts on this page.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

NikkolasKing posted:

For the purposes of playing retro games they are functionally the same, and an old CRT TV is ideal for retro consoles all the way up to the PS2. If you plan on playing SNES or Genesis on the TV, you can pick up Retrovision Component cables for those consoles when they come back in stock: https://shop.hdretrovision.com/collections/component-cables

Otherwise you can get S-video cables for most consoles, which looks almost as good. But yeah, it would be easier to give advice if you stated which consoles you own/plan to pick up.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Pardon but I have a quick question.

I have been wanting to set up a retro gaming thing for a while but I am poor so it's not easy to justify all the money I figured I'd have to pour into it. Just getting a nice old TV seemed destined to cost me over $200. However I was recently at a local thrift shop getting clothes and randomly had a buddy of mine look for a nice old TV. He found one right away. Sony Trinitron with RGB. Maybe they all have RGB, I just know that RGB is apparently the best or something for SD stuff. It's about 30 or 32 in my friend estimated.

They want $20 for it. That is pretty much the best deal I can ever hope for, right? I ask because that SOB is heavy and I am of the pipeweed nerd variety and need to get a couple of my more muscular friends to not only lug that sucker out of the store but up to my second floor apartment. So it's pretty cheap but requires some commitment and planning.

Others have given you good advice already, but if you're in Europe, pretty much every consumer TV has an RGB scart input. As for retro consoles, the SNES, Megadrive/Genesis, Saturn and the PS1 output RGB naturally and you just need an RGB cable. The NES you can mod for RGB, as with the N64 and PC Engine.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

So, first up, you wanna make sure you've got the right romset for the time period it's made for (2003 was a pretty substantial fork, so you'll see that number a lot).

Second: keep it zipped. No need to have the loose files.

Third: if you boot up RetroPie and then connect a USB stick with a "\retropie" folder at its root, RetroPie will auto-populate the stick with the folders you need. Then, take it out, put it in your computer, put the zip(s) in the folder you want, then eject it from your computer. Put that into your RetroPie, wait until the drive stops flashing, then reboot the Pi.

If I missed a step somewhere, or you need more clarification, let me know.

These are all general MAME rom tips that I'm already following, and have used successfully to run many roms in mame-libretro on my RetroPie 3, but I'm specifically looking for help with Galaga.

I've tried both the parent galaga.zip romset and several of its clones, all of which should be compatible (List), but all I keep getting is a black screen and a return to the RetroPie menu.

Like I said, I know on the PC (running MAME 0.179, mame-libretro runs 0.178) the files namco51.zip and namco54.zip must be present in the roms folder for the game to work. Are these files required to work in mame-libretro on the RetroPie (I assume they are), and if so, where do I place them? I've tried placing those two zip files in the roms directory and the bios directory and neither have worked. I've also tried rebuilding the roms with the namco51/54 zips present using clrmamepro and that has also not worked.

I've seen plenty of other reports with people running Galaga on RetroPie, so I know it's possible, so clearly I'm doing something wrong.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Monitor Burn posted:

For the purposes of playing retro games they are functionally the same, and an old CRT TV is ideal for retro consoles all the way up to the PS2. If you plan on playing SNES or Genesis on the TV, you can pick up Retrovision Component cables for those consoles when they come back in stock: https://shop.hdretrovision.com/collections/component-cables

Otherwise you can get S-video cables for most consoles, which looks almost as good. But yeah, it would be easier to give advice if you stated which consoles you own/plan to pick up.

At present I'm mainly concerned with getting a Neo Geo MVS. I will probably try to get NES or SNES and etc. later but that is later. CMVS and games will cost me a lot and take a long time to collect.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

NikkolasKing posted:

What I really want is a consolized Neo-Geo MVS. I know a couple places to get them and I frequent the Neo Geo Forums. I just want to play all the SNK classics like King of Fighters, Last Blade, Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting....

I love the design, I love the combat, I love the music.... But I could never play arcade games growing up because I have vision problems .

MVS carts are still really expensive though compared to actual consoles. A quick glance at eBay says that my favorite Neo Geo game, Windjammers, can be had for the low, low cost of 150 euros. That cost + "I am poor" doesn't really seem like they go together.

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

NikkolasKing posted:

At present I'm mainly concerned with getting a Neo Geo MVS. I will probably try to get NES or SNES and etc. later but that is later. CMVS and games will cost me a lot and take a long time to collect.
There is no doubt that MVS games are expensive, but you can get a large collection of good games for alot less than you would think. Especially since SNES and NES prices have gone wonky recently. But if you dont want full kits, and are ok with reproduction labels, the price of the games plummets. For example Metal Slug 1 goes from $1000 to $50. Granted you really need to know what you are buying. Nothing feels worse than spending $200 on a copy of Money Idol Exchanger, only to open it up and find out the cart is a bootleg, twice.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think Windjammers is a rare-ish title.

Generally speaking the way to go is to get 138-in-1-style carts from Alibaba and get any straggler games from there. There is also a flash cart but I think it's 350 Euros or some crazy price like that.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

univbee posted:

Generally speaking the way to go is to get 138-in-1-style carts from Alibaba and get any straggler games from there. There is also a flash cart but I think it's 350 Euros or some crazy price like that.

At that point, why not just spend 35 bucks on a Raspberry Pi? I mean, surely some of the appeal of the hobby of collecting retro games (not playing them) is that you have a collection that is genuine. Assuming you want to just play the games and don't really care about the collecting aspect of it, then a 138-in-1 or an emulation setup would be fine. If the goal is to actually collect them, a flashcart seems to defeat the purpose.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Drone posted:

MVS carts are still really expensive though compared to actual consoles. A quick glance at eBay says that my favorite Neo Geo game, Windjammers, can be had for the low, low cost of 150 euros. That cost + "I am poor" doesn't really seem like they go together.

It would be slow going undoubtedly but I can afford a $150 every month or two on a recreational product.

And of course from what I last checked, KOF carts at least don't go for nearly that much on average. Of course, god help me if I ever want na American cart of Fatal Fury Mark of the Wolves.....

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

Drone posted:

At that point, why not just spend 35 bucks on a Raspberry Pi? I mean, surely some of the appeal of the hobby of collecting retro games (not playing them) is that you have a collection that is genuine. Assuming you want to just play the games and don't really care about the collecting aspect of it, then a 138-in-1 or an emulation setup would be fine. If the goal is to actually collect them, a flashcart seems to defeat the purpose.

Well, software is just data, so it ultimately doesn't really matter where it comes from - as long as it's a copy of the original ROM or whatever then it will be identical to using the actual cartridge.

Running that data on the original hardware is the important part if you want authenticity. As soon as you bring an emulator into play (even though emulators are generally great), you will not be replicating the hardware perfectly and so potentially will get a different playing experience from the original hardware. And that's what people would prefer to avoid, I guess.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Drone posted:

You bring up a valid point and it starts entering into the same sort of question as "why buy CD's when iTunes downloads are the same to human ears". After spending far too much money on the authentic experience(TM) I've been leaning more towards emulators like RetroPie and similar solutions for a large pile of reasons.

The emulator approach obviously doesn't give you the shelf swag if that matters to you, and generally speaking has increased input lag compared to the raw console (it is essentially impossible to get the same instant reaction an NES with a CRT receiving an analog AV signal with an emulator solution), although this tends to matter most with highly competitive play like speedrunning (this is also why Smash Bros. Melee tournaments are always done on a CRT). Also, since all emulators do some degree of authenticity sacrificing, this can be make-or-break or some; like try playing Contra 3 on most SNES emulators, the machine gun doesn't sound right, and the car at the beginning doesn't create system slowdown when it explodes.

Of course, we're talking hundreds if not thousands of dollars (or even tens of thousands if you really gotta catch 'em all) to "correct" these issues, and they carry their own headaches like flaky, unreliable hardware given it's going to be old as hell, specific "hot" titles being expensive as all hell...you gotta pick your poison, basically.

And as an aside; Money Idol Exchanger is an odd duck for me as my first experience with the game was on a really early version of MAME (like 0.36 or something) where the console lag wasn't replicated, which made the game play really intensely and was awesome that way, something which the original hardware doesn't "replicate" since it slows down.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I got a question, on that free CRT I got a few weeks ago, is the Panasonic CT-32sl14 a regular CRT or a dreaded HD CRT? I heard the later is worst for playing games on.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
That's a regular CRT, you can tell because it's not 16:9.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Elliotw2 posted:

That's a regular CRT, you can tell because it's not 16:9.

Okay good. I was watching that Life in Gaming video linked earlier and they bought up the HD CRT and gave me a bit of concern.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

univbee posted:

The emulator approach obviously doesn't give you the shelf swag if that matters to you, and generally speaking has increased input lag compared to the raw console (it is essentially impossible to get the same instant reaction an NES with a CRT receiving an analog AV signal with an emulator solution), although this tends to matter most with highly competitive play like speedrunning (this is also why Smash Bros. Melee tournaments are always done on a CRT). Also, since all emulators do some degree of authenticity sacrificing, this can be make-or-break or some; like try playing Contra 3 on most SNES emulators, the machine gun doesn't sound right, and the car at the beginning doesn't create system slowdown when it explodes.

Of course, we're talking hundreds if not thousands of dollars (or even tens of thousands if you really gotta catch 'em all) to "correct" these issues, and they carry their own headaches like flaky, unreliable hardware given it's going to be old as hell, specific "hot" titles being expensive as all hell...you gotta pick your poison, basically.

This is why I adopted using original hardware, PVM monitor, etc. but for games, it's flashcarts and CD-R's all the way. I got really, really fed up with the collecting aspect of (retro) gaming as a hobby but I like playing games and how the systems look on a CRT (or in my case, a PVM) too fully use emulators. Your point on flaky hardware still stands, though, some day they'll break, but may that day be far away.

e: a 32 inch CRT is huge though. Good luck hauling it without breaking your back. By the by, this is probably one of the reasons I'm not that keen for a Framemeister/OSSC - I wouldn't feel right looking at retro games on my 40 inch Samsung smart TV, no matter how good they'd look. 20 inch is the sweet spot for me.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Generally TV's of that era will also have a sticker on them, EDTV or HDTV or SDTV, according to if it has composite, 1080i, or only regular composite inputs.

• Locked thread