Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

IAmTheRad posted:

The new thread title triggers me. Can I write a hateful article about the thread and post it on RPS now?

But seriously, someone used early access code going "okay this is final" and caused controversy about orientation in a game about harvesting prisoners organs and selling them as slaves.

the article literally states this isn't final and is subject to change due to being in early access but nice job getting outraged over something you didn't actually read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
I did laugh at the part about ugly people not being found attractive.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

ShadowMar posted:

the article literally states this isn't final and is subject to change due to being in early access but nice job getting outraged over something you didn't actually read.

I'm outraged by outrage culture.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

orientation is a thing people are likely to encounter in real life and have personal baggage and experience with, unlike harvesting people's organs

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
People who are stuck sick in bed are not found attractive. Or if they are on the ground with a gaping chest wound after getting shot.

You know, mentally disabled!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Heffer posted:

Have an option for hostile tribes to be all gay men or all lesbian women

A tribe of gay marijuana-smoking black communist greasers who bring pinball machines and pool tables with them on raids.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Roadie posted:

A tribe of gay marijuana-smoking black communist greasers who bring pinball machines and pool tables with them on raids.

how do i play as this group, they sound way cooler than my colony of sad mad dads

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ShadowMar posted:

how do i play as this group, they sound way cooler than my colony of sad mad dads

How'd you get Soldier 76 in your colony?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

How'd you get Soldier 76 in your colony?

god drat it, now i actually want to make a colony of sad mad video game dads with prepare carefully.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

i edit the files so all the dudes jack off all night and are really happy for 5 mins a day

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

IAmTheRad posted:

The new thread title triggers me. Can I write a hateful article about the thread and post it on RPS now?

But seriously, someone used early access code going "okay this is final" and caused controversy about orientation in a game about harvesting prisoners organs and selling them as slaves.
It's almost as if you didn't read the part of the article where it explicitly mentions the non-final state of the game.

The article is fairly written and doesn't do more than analyze the weirdass relationship mechanics, Tybol or whatever his name's over defensive rant about it in the comments is exactly what a developer shouldn't do.

Game is still good though. Gonna go play it again before going out and hitting on someone until I kill myself.

Plek fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 4, 2016

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ShadowMar posted:

god drat it, now i actually want to make a colony of sad mad video game dads with prepare carefully.

click -> drag, R

we're all soldiers now

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Plek posted:

It's almost as if you didn't read the part of the article where it explicitly mentions the non-final state of the game.

as if anyone could get a paragraph in without seeing red and rushing to the comments

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Don't you know? Why Doesn't America Read Anymore?

Gotta rush to the comments before reading articles like the majority of the internet.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

a whole buncha crows posted:

as if anyone could get a paragraph in without seeing red and rushing to the comments

Didn't need to look past the author's gender before getting all worked up, honestly.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Are there any mods for a quicker start to the game? Like some sort of unpackable prefab building? I often like to mess around with starting various colonies but that initial hump of setting everything up (in more or less the same way) before the game really gets going often pushes me away. I'm imagining some sort of lovely-but-good-enough cooler or sleeping tent I can deploy to get things rolling.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
if you ask me the worst design about RimWorld, and i can't believe it hasn't been looked at yet is colony wealth determining the strength of raids

there needs to be some tuning on that entire aspect of bullshit

if there is well i'll eat my shoe

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Raid strength scales a lot with: number of pawns, time since you lost a pawn
Raid strength scales a little with: overall wealth, time

A small amount of wealth scaling seems fine to me.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
What about sexuality scaling based on okcupid research?

You could have a dating site manager in game that polls the colonists on their preferred genital types, and allocates the sexualities of everyone based on the hard science of how much people lie online (in-colony)?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I'd love to see a patch where all the pawns no longer have any gender identity nor sexual/romantic interest in any other pawns. How would people be outraged over the rough workings of a game about space frontier survival then?!

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

it must be difficult playing a computer game and suddenly instead of a hero with super powers and magic you have to relate to the fat dude running from a wild squirrel and failing

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Jade Star posted:

I'd love to see a patch where all the pawns no longer have any gender identity nor sexual/romantic interest in any other pawns. How would people be outraged over the rough workings of a game about space frontier survival then?!

If only this game didn't have binary gender, we could have Bynars from Star Trek as pawns.

Or, like, space eunuchs from the Space Ottoman Empire.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

For maximum realism, I require a skin tone attractiveness matrix sourced from okcupid's race-to-race message response data. :unsmigghh:

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

No Pants posted:

For maximum realism, I require a skin tone attractiveness matrix sourced from okcupid's race-to-race message response data. :unsmigghh:

That way lies madness and ruin.
Well more than usual anyway.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
"Wow that's a lot of responses, was there an up-" :stare:

Autism posted:

His talk was about this exact form of analysis. One of the examples he used was a variable from the Mii object on the wii: isFemale=false

This clearly and undeniably perpetuates maleness as a default state — why is it worthless to interrogate that?
It's just ragingly anti-intellectual.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

In case anyone was wondering, this is because a boolean uses less memory than any other type of variable that might be used to store a binary switch.

If the variable was isMale=false, would you say it was undeniably perpetuating femaleness as the default state? You have no other options.

That's why the digital humanities are worthless and people who don't know how to code shouldn't blather about how it has "significance."

brb writing The Death of the Coder.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Baloogan posted:

i do want like, the possibility of pawns getting shot in the nuts as part of the gender update

i also do want birth control, abortions, and child rearing, screw tyarial or whatever his idiot name is if he can't do it
i want a "sex" need; and a moodlet Goon -10 if you don't get laid

next i want tylenol sylvester to implement religions in a hugely unpleasant way and get a fatwa on his dumb head

Hey Baloogan,

Can you please elaborate on how CMANO simulates sexuality?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
You know how people joke about how they sexually identify as an A-10?

Well, we don't take that as joke.

Everyone of every gender can together join hands in harmony while blowing the crap out of things in CMANO!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Baloogan posted:

You know how people joke about how they sexually identify as an A-10?

Well, we don't take that as joke.

http://i.imgur.com/zb3QZi4.jpg

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I heard from very credible, well-researched and morally sound journalistic sources that RimWorld is a massive gaming bastion of The Patriarchy and oppression of women.
Aren't you people ashamed of yourself?

Rimworld? More like RiMRAworld.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8Xfz6nMH8U&t=20s

hot

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

gas stations are basically brothels for cars

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
we do not discriminate every kind of plane sex is available!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufOUxbLfyyM

!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
OH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwVGaEp0x48&t=160s

bisexuals exist in the skies! :kiss:

boom AND drogue refueling on one tanker?? yes yes yes!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

they don't call it the chair force for nothing :fap:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

a whole buncha crows posted:

I did laugh at the part about ugly people not being found attractive.

The thing about the attraction system is that looks are the only immediate modifier to it, they aren't the only modifier.

As far as I know, attraction is primarily based on how much people like each other, which is immediately influenced by looks (uggos get out, hotties get in, also being shot in the face and having a massive scar counts as being ugly) but even the drop dead gorgeous trait is overshadowed by long term interaction effects.

Socializing has a chance to increase or decrease people's opinion of each other and people with more social skill effect bigger changes in others, and I think are less likely to insult them by accident.

Also I think things like rescuing people in combat and healing them also give bonuses to relationships, so your doctor will probably be liked by their patients if they help them out.

All in all the attraction system is quite sane really, people mostly get to like each other over time through socializing but being hot is a major bonus, younger colonists tend to be more horny and form relationships faster, people prefer people close to their own age, people who are attractive and who are charming socially are better liked than ugly sperglords, people who do nice things to other people are liked more than people who mostly beat other people up and insult them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 4, 2016

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

OwlFancier posted:

The thing about the attraction system is that looks are the only immediate modifier to it, they aren't the only modifier.

As far as I know, attraction is primarily based on how much people like each other, which is immediately influenced by looks (uggos get out, hotties get in, also being shot in the face and having a massive scar counts as being ugly) but even the drop dead gorgeous trait is overshadowed by long term interaction effects.

Socializing has a chance to increase or decrease people's opinion of each other and people with more social skill effect bigger changes in others, and I think are less likely to insult them by accident.

Also I think things like rescuing people in combat and healing them also give bonuses to relationships, so your doctor will probably be liked by their patients if they help them out.

All in all the attraction system is quite sane really, people mostly get to like each other over time through socializing but being hot is a major bonus, younger colonists tend to be more horny and form relationships faster, people prefer people close to their own age, people who are attractive and who are charming socially are better liked than ugly sperglords, people who do nice things to other people are liked more than people who mostly beat other people up and insult them.

Ok but he didn't get it exactly right so throw it all out, too problematic to play.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Have people started living in a world where Tynan didn't write all that :biotruths: stuff in the RPS comments section? Because that's what's caught my eye over what's just general crappy coding.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I should not have laughed as hard at this as I did.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Perhaps it can be a fun game even if the developer is a terrible person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
At least Tynan is willing to look at why he's a dumbass and work on it, rather than going full Phil Fish and cancel his game because someone called him a wiener on twitter.