Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Radish posted:

Captain America 2 was actually prophetic but instead of super science Nazis we beat in WW2 the US government was infiltrated and taken over by the Confederacy we beat in the Civil War

This is the lie Northerners like to tell themselves to absolve their ancestors of racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Radish posted:

It would result in the horrifying TV clips of conservative pundits explaining that since the word is used in hip hop videos who are black people to complain when Trump uses it like they did with the pussy grab/Beyonce stuff.

:stare:

I didn't even consider this possibility, and now it seems stunningly plausible this is how it will pan out.

The next magic trick is conditioning Americans to accept that, well, sometimes extrajudicial killings of black people and minorities by police and vigilantes is a necessary cost of a functioning society - y'know, Jefferson did say that sometimes the Tree of Liberty must be watered in blood - and, well, with all that obvious black-on-black urban violence they really shouldn't be hypocrites and complain when white people do the same thing to black people. Then lynching will come back as a fun new retro fad, and :barf:

WHY CAN'T I SAY it has been a conservative thing for a while but actual pundits are smart enough to know how that would fly so they don't push that one. However now that Trump has normalized Breitbart, Stormfront, and Alex Jones I expect to hear that one by at least somebody on a CNN panel in the coming years.

computer parts posted:

This is the lie Northerners like to tell themselves to absolve their ancestors of racism.

Nah the North is pretty racist too.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Voting to impeach clinton will become the new Obamacare appeal vote in the house.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Assassin's Creed: Liberation (the Vita game that got a PS3/PC port) has a half-black female protagonist

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Harrow posted:

It's too late for me. I've already become one with Arzy. But it isn't too late for the rest of you! Save yourselves!

Embrace your latino brothers and sisters, they will save the world.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I was so excited to get a native protagonist who wasn't a bad stereotype but the game around him was lousy. :smith:
AssCreed 3 isn't even mediocre. It's just plain bad. I gave up halfway through because the game wouldn't just let me play.

The entire game is:
Introduce gameplay element
Use element in incredibly restrictive way
Participate in historical event in incredibly restrictive way
Modern day story no one cares about
Kill yourself because you can't take it anymore

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Voting to impeach clinton will become the new Obamacare appeal vote in the house.

The 90s called, they want Newt Gingrich back.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Didn't they literally out the identity of an undercover CIA agent for some reason or another and nobody really even gave a poo poo?

Yup. Valerie Plame. This was around the time Cheney was sending Iraq talking points to newspapers on deep cover, and then citing those same articles later on talk shows as proof that everyone agreed with the administration's assessments.

e: people did care, for what it's worth. Highest level conviction since Iran-Contra. But of course Busy commuted Libby's sentence so.....

fosborb fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 4, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RevKrule posted:

The only thing that's made Trump sink like a stone has been outright attacks on women. Seriously, he has ties to embargo Cuba and Iran and no one cares. His ties to Russia have been exceptionally publicized and no one cares. His terrible university scam has been exposed and no one cares. Some of it's fatigue, some of it's there's minutia that people need to wade through (even a little) to understand just how horrible he is as a person but it's not easily soundbytable.

"Grab her by the pussy" are five words that immediately speak to the kind of vile person he is. Unless someone has tape of him using a racial slur they're going to release today, nothing that comes out is going to move his needle much at this point. That says more about what kind of country we are then the kind of person he is though.

What if Trump stabs a dude on live TV?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Charlz Guybon posted:

Eh...being tied when last time you were ahead by 100k in registration doesn't sound so good. The 55/45 gender split and the Hispanic surge does though. Kind of a mixed bag.

The polls are telling us that the Republican surge in FL early voting is coming from people who voted on election day in 2012. So, they are cannibalizing their election day vote. On the Dem side, a lot of it is genuinely new voters or voters who only voted once in the last 3 elections.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Harrow posted:

https://twitter.com/BrentNYT/status/794519693985980416

I don't know why the Republicans think impeaching Clinton would work. Even if the Democrats can't win a majority in the Senate on Tuesday, the Republicans still won't have a two-thirds majority in the Senate, so an impeachment case that isn't insanely rock solid, anything short of on-tape visual evidence of Clinton personally shooting Vince Foster in the head, is dead in the water. The House can vote to impeach all they want.
They will, and then they'll talk up the fact that she was impeached (and probably that she was impeached N times) in the 2018 and the 2020 elections. They will of course be abetted by the media in this.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
btw, if people need to calm down and not Arzy, read http://www.electoral-vote.com/ on a daily basis. I've been reading it since the 2004 election and its pretty good, and not nearly as breathless as 538 has been lately.

Even if they are wrong they will at least relax you a bit until then.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Radish posted:

Captain America 2 was actually prophetic but instead of super science Nazis we beat in WW2 the US government was infiltrated and taken over by the Confederacy we beat in the Civil War

There was a really good article (maybe 1-2 years old) about how the reconstruction failed but I can't for the life of me remember who wrote it.

Does anyone know which one I'm talking about?

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
That was the Assasin's Creed 4 DLC. This was the Vita game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5RxYUw4DFY

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

The 90s called, they want Newt Gingrich back.

Seeing Raul Labrador grow a nasty beard and wear skinny jeans will be surreal.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Radish posted:

Nah the North is pretty racist too.

How do people explain why Reconstruction and Jim Crow were such a poo poo-show in the South otherwise?

Hint: It had to do with President Andrew Johnson and Northern Confederate sympathizers in political power that enabled the legacy of the Antebellum South to survive and persist up through the Civil Rights Era of the 1960s. :ssh:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Radish posted:

WHY CAN'T I SAY it has been a conservative thing for a while but actual pundits are smart enough to know how that would fly so they don't push that one. However now that Trump has normalized Breitbart, Stormfront, and Alex Jones I expect to hear that one by at least somebody on a CNN panel in the coming years.

One thing I'm interested in when it comes to the whole "n-word" discussion is if there's a difference between using a word and mentioning a word. This pop philosophy video brings it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ESU5ONMMxs&t=160s (Check out the huge dislikes for daring to say that maybe you should consider that the words you say might affect someone else.)

I'm going to use one of those not-actually-offensive white slurs here so as to avoid accidentally crossing a line.

Is there a difference between someone saying, "The word 'cracker' is offensive to white people," and someone saying, "Man, those crackers sure can't dance" or "Only crackers vote for Donald Trump?" When it comes to language, I mean. Should someone instead say "the c-word" in that first sentence (yes, I know that means something else, just bear with me for the sake of argument) to sidestep it altogether?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Northjayhawk posted:

The polls are telling us that the Republican surge in FL early voting is coming from people who voted on election day in 2012. So, they are cannibalizing their election day vote. On the Dem side, a lot of it is genuinely new voters or voters who only voted once in the last 3 elections.
Or, they'll continue to surge on election day as well.

The news out of Nevada really seems unequivocally good. Florida really is "well she might win and she might not".

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
All the Dynasty Warrior Gundam games let you play as a crossdressing black man.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

fosborb posted:

Yup. Valerie Plame. This was around the time Cheney was sending Iraq talking points to newspapers on deep cover, and then citing those same articles later on talk shows as proof that everyone agreed with the administration's assessments.

The W. Bush administration really was shittier than anyone, including myself, remembers.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
For gently caress's sake, Politico:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

How do people explain why Reconstruction and Jim Crow were such a poo poo-show in the South otherwise?

The usual narrative is "the 1876 Republicans were cowards and the secret Illuminati in the South has been directing things ever since (or until 1964)".

In reality it's "white people wanted to punish other white people, then most of the first group got bored/were in an economic depression and didn't really give much of a poo poo anymore. And both groups hated black people, just one more visibly than the other".

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I'm all for loving over drug companies but prop 61 isn't really that simple. The prop doesn't require the drug companies to sell their drugs at the same price as the VA, it requires the state agencies to buy them at that price. Which leads to a simple question that the prop doesn't answer: what happens if MediCal says "we're required to buy medicine X at Y price" and the drug companies say "gently caress you, that's too low for us to make a profit, we're not selling"?

It's a pretty major case of the prop-writers' hearts being in the right place but the prop's wording having a whole bunch of unintended and really bad consequences.

To follow up with this, there's some hilarious history here. Medi-Cal operates what's called a contract formulary. They typically reimburse prescriptions at Average Wholesale Price (AWP for short, it's an imaginary drug cost pulled out of the drug-industry's collective rear end). Once a year they choose specific drugs for their formulary, and those are the medications the plan covers. To entice Medi-Cal to choose their drugs for the formulary, drug companies offer reimbursements on prescription costs to Medi-Cal. This was supposed to save the state money, but what happened is Medi-Cal "for some reason" would only cover expensive branded drugs on the formulary instead of cheap generic drugs which were not on the formulary. The price differences were staggering. A 30 count bottle of Zyprexa 20mg cost like $1200 when a 30 count bottle of generic olanzapine 20mg cost $45. I don't know how much Eli Lilly was reimbursing Medi-Cal for each fill of Zyprexa 20mg, but I suspect it was less than $1150. Any questions as to why Eli Lilly is interested in California politics? They did this with all sorts of medicines, costing taxpayers huge amounts of money.

Spoondick fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 4, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Pfft, Japan already beat us to it. :rolleyes:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Guy Goodbody posted:

It would be deflected by his belt buckle

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

The W. Bush administration really was shittier than anyone, including myself, remembers.
Yes, and that WH had an actual email scandal

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

DaveWoo posted:

This "Clinton's got this, election looks over" conventional wisdom is bad for business. They need clicks, man.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

If a minority: no one cares

If white: a sympathizer of the enemy cause

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Radish posted:

It would result in the horrifying TV clips of conservative pundits explaining that since the word is used in hip hop videos who are black people to complain when Trump uses it like they did with the pussy grab/Beyonce stuff.
I know this is echo chamber stuff here, but it is so infuriating that they act as if it was about the word.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

Here's another headline:

"What else, at this point, is there to write about?"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Harrow posted:

One thing I'm interested in when it comes to the whole "n-word" discussion is if there's a difference between using a word and mentioning a word. This pop philosophy video brings it up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ESU5ONMMxs&t=160s (Check out the huge dislikes for daring to say that maybe you should consider that the words you say might affect someone else.)

I'm going to use one of those not-actually-offensive white slurs here so as to avoid accidentally crossing a line.

Is there a difference between someone saying, "The word 'cracker' is offensive to white people," and someone saying, "Man, those crackers sure can't dance" or "Only crackers vote for Donald Trump?" When it comes to language, I mean. Should someone instead say "the c-word" in that first sentence (yes, I know that means something else, just bear with me for the sake of argument) to sidestep it altogether?

The issue with 'cracker' is it's not remotely equivalent since white people have never been oppressed racially in this country so there is no history behind that word. There's no implied threat of systemic violence, murder, segregation, or anything it's just rude and I guess maybe hurts feelings. It misses the entire point and distills racial issues in america into a sports match where you have two sides with equal grievances when that is absolutely not the case but doing that benefits the people that victimized the other for centuries so it gets a lot of push.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/03/politics/eric-trump-on-david-duke/

I need to relax, because I shouldn't be able to become an instant Eric Trump fan in under four seconds.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DaveWoo posted:

Guest author - Nate Silver.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

DaveWoo posted:

Batten down the hatches! Hoist the sails!

:siren::derp:POLITICO IS ARZYING!!!:derp::siren: :byodood:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Pfft, Japan already beat us to it. :rolleyes:

That was a politician being stabbed. I'm talking about Trump calling a dude out of the crowd in the middle of a speech, slitting his throat with a karambit, and then yelling "Blood for the Blood God! Skulls for his Skull Throne!"

I bet that would move the needle a bit

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They really, really want to push the horse race narrative, that's for sure

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/794533910780620800

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Harrow posted:

https://twitter.com/BrentNYT/status/794519693985980416

I don't know why the Republicans think impeaching Clinton would work. Even if the Democrats can't win a majority in the Senate on Tuesday, the Republicans still won't have a two-thirds majority in the Senate, so an impeachment case that isn't insanely rock solid, anything short of on-tape visual evidence of Clinton personally shooting Vince Foster in the head, is dead in the water. The House can vote to impeach all they want.

It was the same with WJC, they had 0% chance of getting the Senate to go along with the impeachment in 98. They did it anyway to a.) embarrass him and b.) be worthless obstinate shitheels

and that was the pre-Breitbart Republican party

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Radish posted:

The issue with 'cracker' is it's not remotely equivalent since white people have never been oppressed racially in this country so there is no history behind that word. There's no implied threat of systemic violence, murder, segregation, or anything it's just rude and I guess maybe hurts feelings. It misses the entire point and distills racial issues in america into a sports match where you have two sides with equal grievances when that is absolutely not the case but doing that benefits the people that victimized the other for centuries so it gets a lot of push.

I think they know that, they are simply using that as an replacement for actually offensive and harmful words to demonstrate a point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Radish posted:

I disagree. Cracker, I believe, came originally from an 1800s slur for Southern white people who were so poor they mixed dirt and mud to eat for food which were euphemistically referred to as crackers.

On the Antebellum/post-Civil War Southern power hierarchy, poor "cracker" whites were just above black slaves and freedmen for being poo poo on. They were considered as useful idiots by aristocratic plantation owners to rile up racial hatred and violence, hitting two birds with one stone by keeping poor whites occupied and distracted from their economic oppression by strong-arming black people on their behalf and to strike fear into black people who might think about getting too 'uppity' or vocal for white landowners' tastes.

e:

So, no, not due to racial oppression but due to economic oppression, the latter of which is also a strong and proud tradition in this country.

In fact, we were super racist even towards other white people! There's a reason why there's a stereotype of Irish boxers back in the turn of the 20th century and how that transitioned to black and minority boxers (ie, it was one of the few avenues available to the oppressed to get ahead in society and improve their lot in life).

There's also a reason why the term 'WASP' exists, meaning White Anglo-Saxon Protestant. A big point of contention in the politics of the Gilded Age was fierce partisanship between Protestants and Catholics, Drinkers and Prohibitionists, etc.

You think partisanship and political rhetoric is bad now? Try reading up on the Stalwarts, Half-Breeds, Mugwumps, etc of the 1870s and 1880s. I mean, for gently caress's sake, we even had a President get assassinated during that broiling political environment: James A. Garfield and later William McKinley.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 4, 2016

• Locked thread