Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Philthy posted:

I haven't had much time to get into NBA this season yet. Watched the Bucks a little of last night, but I missed Thon Makers HOME debut.

He played one minute total.

Scored two 3 pointers in 30 seconds.

He's sitting at 6 points with one minute average played this season.

Edit: I guess he played an away game for two minutes and didn't get 12 points :(

PER of 93.5, baby. Boban Who

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I did get to see him play preseason here in Madison a few weeks back and I thought he looked good. He was rotating with Giannis, and he even did the chase the breakaway and swat the ball away Giannis move. He just wasn't fast enough yet. Need some meat on those bones.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Carmelo said a lot of things; a few years later he also said that he was never going to re-sign in Denver because everyone else on the team was expiring and he didn't want to be stuck rebuilding.

Nirwad is right as far as I recall. He made a quiet, but very forceful push for NYC.

He definitely wanted to go to the knicks, especially once it was clear that the nuggets really wanted to trade him. He was fairly vocal about it. He even talked about going to NY in free agency before trade talks began.

None of that somehow makes it his fault that Denver was trying to ship him and that Dolan was willing to pay. The NY media spent years blasting him for not refusing the trade and publically declaring that he would sign for the knicks in free agency so that the knicks could get him for cheap, as if that makes any sense, and there are still people who somehow hold it against Melo that he didn't save Dolan from himself. It's crazy.

Spacebump posted:

He was later quoted saying he probably would have resigned with Denver if they didn't trade him due to them being able to offer the most.

This was the reason given at the time for the trade, since a lot of people were wondering why NY didn't just wait for free agency considering it sort of seemed like they were bidding against themselves. Of course that's forgotten now in the rush to blame Melo for everything.

troofs fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 4, 2016

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

IcePhoenix posted:

Can someone who was paying more attention to the game than I was tell me why Dunn didn't play in crunch time last night?

Eh, he was playing kinda loose with the ball and the offense was stiff with him out there after the first quarter. I think Thibs is trying to keep him under 30 minutes a game right now, even with Rubio out.

For what it's worth, Tyus had a better +/- than Dunn did (+0 vs -3).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's not like Danilo would have put the Knicks over the top or anything

Nothing they traded away was all that important. Their drafts sucking was more of an issue.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Philthy posted:

I haven't had much time to get into NBA this season yet. Watched the Bucks a little of last night, but I missed Thon Makers HOME debut.

Edit: I guess he played an away game for two minutes and didn't get any points :(

Yo I was about to make a post about this and I still will I think

edit: I love small sample sizes

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

euphronius posted:

Nothing they traded away was all that important. Their drafts sucking was more of an issue.

Yeah and continuously mismanaging their assets, like when they traded 3 draft picks for Andrea Bargnani, or the Rose trade. Those are Melo's fault too though, somehow.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also Amare fell apart.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
THEY HYPE VIDEOS WERE ALL TRUE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDZaJFd4aSk
(except for calling him "best 14 year old in the world" or the part where they omit that he's an 8th grader for the second time but that's only a technicality)
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/makerth01.html

Currently averaging 72 points and 12 rebounds per 36. 93.5 PER. 100% 3p shooting for a perfect 1.50 TS, it's THON MAKER. His ortng of 300 is offset by his miserable -13.5 DBPM but we expect rookies need some time to learn NBA defense.

Also Giannis is an all-star this season, which is a great look for this thread who've been Team Smothie since the draft, we're all Marlo "big paws on a puppy" except for MV who resents the Greek Kevin Durant's Horatio Algeresque success to this very day and grips his fist in anteaterish suppressed rage whenever the name comes up

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

troofs posted:

Yeah and continuously mismanaging their assets, like when they traded 3 draft picks for Andrea Bargnani, or the Rose trade. Those are Melo's fault too though, somehow.

The Rose trade was not a bad move, though. Also I know people actually do blame Melo (they are idiots) but what I'm saying is that its the Knicks fault for doing the Melo Trade. Obviously it is hindsight, but I'm pretty sure time has shown that to be a bad move.

euphronius posted:

Danillo, Wilson Chandler and especially Mozgov were all assets back then. None of them would actually be of value to the Knicks in themselves, but they all were trade chips that the knicks could have used to improve the team.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 4, 2016

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

Also Amare fell apart.

That should not have been a surprise to anyone. They couldn't even insure his contract.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

For what it's worth, Tyus had a better +/- than Dunn did (+0 vs -3).

Not a whole lot :v:

Was he taking bad shots or missing open ones? I just noticed that he was 1-6 (I did happen to see that one make though which was a really nice drive to the basket)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Philthy posted:

Edit: I guess he played an away game for two minutes and didn't get any points :(

A pedestrian 108 points per 36 minutes

troofs posted:

He definitely wanted to go to the knicks, especially once it was clear that the nuggets really wanted to trade him. He was fairly vocal about it. He even talked about going to NY in free agency before trade talks began.

None of that somehow makes it his fault that Denver was trying to ship him and that Dolan was willing to pay. The NY media spent years blasting him for not refusing the trade and publically declaring that he would sign for the knicks in free agency so that the knicks could get him for cheap, as if that makes any sense, and there are still people who somehow hold it against Melo that he didn't save Dolan from himself. It's crazy.

This was the reason given at the time for the trade, since a lot of people were wondering why NY didn't just wait for free agency considering it sort of seemed like they were bidding against themselves. Of course that's forgotten now in the rush to blame Melo for everything.

Bird rights and such. If you don't think Gallo and Wilson Chandler are central pieces to your championship contender (and with the advantage of hindsight we can see that they wouldn't be) then it makes more sense to be able to go over the cap to resign Melo and also attract top flight free agents. In theory, anyways.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

predicto posted:

I don't get the love for Hubie Brown. He's horrible - everything he says is obvious and meaningless.

"Ok, look, look right here, he dribbles left and then, see, he goes up and, right here, he shoots the ball, you see, that's how you do it...." Horrible.

To be fair to Hubie he is absolutely ancient. Younger Hubie was really good.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Paul Zuvella posted:

The Rose trade was not a bad move, though.

I would genuinely love to hear how it isn't a bad trade.

Robin Lopez is a better player than Rose, arguably a significantly better one. Rose isn't going to suddenly become a good player again. Calderon sucks and Grant is probably a bench guy at best, but they basically gave up a better player plus other assets (including a 2nd year player who was a first round pick) to get a worse player. Rose will be gone after this year so it's not going to torpedo the team long term but I'm not really sure how it could be viewed as anything other than a bad trade. There aren't even really any dream free agents for them to blow that cap space on next year anyway.

troofs fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 4, 2016

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I'm honestly very confused why people keep saying that the Rose trade was "bad".

They literally gave up no real assets other than Robin Lopez, who is a nice player but when you're not close to contending you don't really need him.

The only way that this trade is bad is if he continues to be Derrick Rose (which he will) and the Knicks resign him.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Is there any easy place to get these sorts of lists? Just made this one by hand took a darned 70 seconds or so
Jamal Murray
Chinuanu Onuaku

Montrezl Harrell

Dario Saric
Nick Johnson

Arsalan Kazemi

Royce White

Andrew Goudelock

Gordon Hayward

Jon Brockman

Omer Asik

Joakim Noah
Kyrylo Fesenko

Lamarcus Aldridge
Steve Novak

Ronny Turiaf

Kirk Snyder

That's all the players acquired with Knicks Draft Picks going back to the last year in which the Knicks had both their picks (2003).

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'm honestly very confused why people keep saying that the Rose trade was "bad".

They literally gave up no real assets other than Robin Lopez, who is a nice player but when you're not close to contending you don't really need him.

The only way that this trade is bad is if he continues to be Derrick Rose (which he will) and the Knicks resign him.

I am certainly guilty of frequently being hyperbolic about the knicks, but it's a net negative at best, isn't it? They gained nothing by doing it and they gave up the best player in the trade. I don't see how that isn't bad.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Also I know people actually do blame Melo (they are idiots) but what I'm saying is that its the Knicks fault for doing the Melo Trade. Obviously it is hindsight, but I'm pretty sure time has shown that to be a bad move.

Danillo, Wilson Chandler and especially Mozgov were all assets back then. None of them would actually be of value to the Knicks in themselves, but they all were trade chips that the knicks could have used to improve the team.

Agreed completely. I don't know if you can really call the Melo trade a 100% bad move because it got the knicks out of the first round for the first time in ages and gave them a few of their best seasons in recent memory, but it certainly wasn't going to win them a championship, even at the time. I still think they should have just waited for free agency, nobody else was going to blow their load on Melo and Denver didn't want him to come back, IMO.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I value Noah and his potential influence on my son so much that I'm okay with acquiring Rose on a short big dumb contract if it was what it took to get Noah. If it wasn't necessary then gently caress that shoulda kept Lopez around Noah obviously can't play 82 games

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

troofs posted:

I would genuinely love to hear how it isn't a bad trade.

Robin Lopez is a better player than Rose, arguably a significantly better one. Rose isn't going to suddenly become a good player again. Calderon sucks and Grant is probably a bench guy at best, but they basically gave up a better player plus other assets (including a 2nd year player who was a first round pick) to get a worse player. Rose will be gone after this year so it's not going to torpedo the team long term but I'm not really sure how it could be viewed as anything other than a bad trade. There aren't even really any dream free agents for them to blow that cap space on next year anyway.

Well they will have no space because they did the Actually Really Bad Knicks Move Of The Offseason and signed Joakim Noah.

But I think you're seriously over valuing Robin Lopez here. Sure he is funny and plays good defense and helps you out on the boards, but he literally cannot play more than 25 minutes a game and is really only an asset to a team that's contending. And if you think the Knicks were contending in the next two years then welp.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The whole point of the rose trade was to salary dump lopez.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It is with a heavy heart I must announce that Derrick Rose is Back

At the United Center.

I have no idea what kind of reception he'll get, but I km ow Jo will get a huge ovation. I just hope Stacey King has been practicing derrick rose catch lhrase avoidance this summer.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Well they will have no space because they did the Actually Really Bad Knicks Move Of The Offseason and signed Joakim Noah.

But I think you're seriously over valuing Robin Lopez here. Sure he is funny and plays good defense and helps you out on the boards, but he literally cannot play more than 25 minutes a game and is really only an asset to a team that's contending. And if you think the Knicks were contending in the next two years then welp.

I don't really have to value RoLo especially highly to say he's way better than Rose, because Rose is pretty awful. You're right about the Noah signing being bad, but they wouldn't have had to do that if they had just kept RoLo, although it certainly wouldn't stop them from doing another stupid thing with that money somewhere else.

EvanTH posted:

I value Noah and his potential influence on my son so much that I'm okay with acquiring Rose on a short big dumb contract if it was what it took to get Noah. If it wasn't necessary then gently caress that shoulda kept Lopez around Noah obviously can't play 82 games
How would you feel about Porzingis growing some long crazy hair and a weird moustache? I feel like it could be really good or really bad.

Tae posted:

The whole point of the rose trade was to salary dump lopez.

I guess they're clearing a lot of salary to make a run at Blake Griffin? Who knows if there is any kind of long-term plan.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Not a whole lot :v:

Was he taking bad shots or missing open ones? I just noticed that he was 1-6 (I did happen to see that one make though which was a really nice drive to the basket)

A few rookie bad decisions, a couple good shots that didn't fall. He was working harder to get other guys involved (which is good). I also think he and Wiggins maybe overlap a bit, they both seem to want to work going downhill or cutting weakside baseline to the basket. Dunn looked pretty good though he was captaining some really sloppy play for a while.

I think most of the reason he sat late was minutes and Tyus was doing a reasonably good job and was leading the comeback throughout the 4th.

THIBS MINUTES UPDATE: He's got KAT playing over 35mpg. Wiggins and LaVine playing those minutes is fine, but I hope Thibs doesn't keep riding his 7 footers like this.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

troofs posted:

I don't really have to value RoLo especially highly to say he's way better than Rose, because Rose is pretty awful. You're right about the Noah signing being bad, but they wouldn't have had to do that if they had just kept RoLo, although it certainly wouldn't stop them from doing another stupid thing with that money somewhere else.

How would you feel about Porzingis growing some long crazy hair and a weird moustache? I feel like it could be really good or really bad.

I guess they're clearing a lot of salary to make a run at Blake Griffin? Who knows if there is any kind of long-term plan.

I don't think committing that much money to Noah makes sense if you want to sign Griffin unless you want Noah as your sixth man

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.

Declan MacManus posted:

I don't think committing that much money to Noah makes sense if you want to sign Griffin unless you want Noah as your sixth man

For sure, but who else is a free agent next year? They're not getting Curry. Maybe just tank a year and then go after Chris Paul or something? I think assuming any kind of logic here might be a mistake.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
No matter how much I poo poo talked Mudiay in the offseason I didn't expect him to actually look worse this season. He looks quite a bit worse this season.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

troofs posted:

Melo stuff

The Knicks were really fun to watch before we traded fun players and abandoned the offense for ISO-Melo. Melo wasn't having any Linsanity (also, really fun to watch) either.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

A few rookie bad decisions, a couple good shots that didn't fall. He was working harder to get other guys involved (which is good). I also think he and Wiggins maybe overlap a bit, they both seem to want to work going downhill or cutting weakside baseline to the basket. Dunn looked pretty good though he was captaining some really sloppy play for a while.

I think most of the reason he sat late was minutes and Tyus was doing a reasonably good job and was leading the comeback throughout the 4th.

Interesting. I'll have to try to keep watch for that stuff next game.

Also, random question for Zogobot: how common is it for a team to lose three of four games when they had a 15+ point lead at some point in all of them?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Detroit's 2 weeks of Brandon Jennings without Josh Smith were even better than the Knicks 3 weeks of Linsanity but nobody knows about it because new york is a "major city" and the knicks have a "fan base"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The worst part of the rose trade was acquiring his bird rights .

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

euphronius posted:

It's very scary.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Juaguocio posted:

The way Sean Elliott talks like he's still playing on the Spurs is intolerable to me.

As for major network announcers: I don't really like the pairing of Marv & C-Webb that we're seeing this season, but anything is better than Marv & Reggie.

They don't have chemistry, but at least Webber tries to explain basketball plays and generally help the viewer understand why what happened happned, much better than Reggie's sufferin sccotash routine

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

troofs posted:

For sure, but who else is a free agent next year? They're not getting Curry. Maybe just tank a year and then go after Chris Paul or something? I think assuming any kind of logic here might be a mistake.

Wait two years to pair yet, another aging superstar with Melo? Give it up.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Rose is a darn ballhog who throws bad passes when he does throw them. Melo at least passes well when he decides to.

troofs posted:

I'm imaginin' a kinda PorzinGod of Thunder

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Thon Maker is the best teenager in the NBA

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

troofs posted:

Do you want another Adam Morrison? Because that's how you get another Adam Morrison.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

troofs posted:

Derrick Rose was not a basketball addition. He is only on the team because It allowed them to dump Robin Lopez. Sure Lopez is better but the knicks weren't winning either way.

Also the long term plan for the knicks is hosed. They are back where they were in the mid 2000s. No draft picks, a bad team with no route to get a star. As long as Melo is on that team they are not contending. If Zinger makes a leap (and I hope he does because he owns) they could top out at like a 5-4 seed. But that's probably it. Once Melo is off the books you can really start about thinking of a rebuild. But even then you're probably a few years off until Noah comes off as well.

euphronius posted:

This is 100% true. I do not trust GM Phil Jackson in the slightest after the Noah deal.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I always hated long haired dirk

He looks nice now as a kempt middle aged man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lockback posted:

THIBS MINUTES UPDATE: He's got KAT playing over 35mpg. Wiggins and LaVine playing those minutes is fine, but I hope Thibs doesn't keep riding his 7 footers like this.
Why are people so squeamish about minutes? He played 32mpg last season as a rookie, he should be able to handle 36mpg as a young 21-year-olkd. I understand resting guys, limiting minutes in certain situations in the hopes of keeping them fresh, but it wasn't that long ago that Minnesota had Garnett playing 39-40mpg. It just seems like in the last 10 years the thinking has changed a little too dramatically if a young guy playing 36 is now causing stress.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 4, 2016

• Locked thread