Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
alright, I have always liked - but never really been wowed by the spotted trotter. finally got wowwed!

they have a chicken cheddarwurst that is loving dellllicious. it's an emulsified, juicy, well seasoned chicken link with a thin line of melty cheddar running through its center. be extra careful not to burst the casing if you pick one up, it would goop everywhere. my girl boo says they are serving it at their lunch hotdog place, if you want a quick fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We ended up at North China Eatery. It was excellent. Then we stopped at Krog Market on the way to drop me off at the airport, for Ice Cream. He was impressed by Jeni's. :3:

e - forgot to add. The state fair at the speedway is *AWFUL* and depressing, at least compared to the one here in Ohio. Like, goddamn.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 12, 2016

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
:(

we could prooooobbbably have told you about that.

anything featuring 3 'pig races' a day and a tribute band called 'Revisit the Legend of Steppenwolf' is pretty much a black flag

I mean really.... :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1scYTtZofQI

loll @ 3:00-4:00. I hope you actually went to this.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Oct 12, 2016

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nope, we wasted the day driving down. Spent about an hour there, and came back. But at least NCE was also that day, which was the highlight.

And we went back to Vortex again. I brought home the glass. That was part of *why* we went.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
went to eight sushi lounge tonight, was actually pretty good.

pricey, but quality of the fish was pretty good, and had a few inventive dishes we really liked. the tuna crisp was good.

the place is clearly in love with truffle oil, but somehow in all the right ways. most everything was subtle and really tasty - but the theme was pervasive. will make my way back

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Have you been to O-Ku? If so, how do they compare.

For what it is worth, I loathe any restaurant that describes itself as a "lounge."

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

:supaburn: @ venutolo

https://challahwalla.splashthat.com/

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Landrobot posted:

:supaburn: @ venutolo

Already have my ticket.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

Have you been to O-Ku? If so, how do they compare.

For what it is worth, I loathe any restaurant that describes itself as a "lounge."

I haven't been to O-Ku, but you'd be right to loathe this restaurant preemptively. It was overpriced, pretentious, and filled with millennials (on a monday night) inexplicably spending tons of money on fusion sushi.

yet, somehow still good food.

the westside is a strange, strange place. frankly it always makes me feel old, and/or poor. but I'm 33, and make (I think??) pretty decent money. :confused:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
so, the cockentrice thing was sad/unexpected/maybe expected/maybe not that sad - any of you have an inside line on that?

I had a giftcard so I made a last minute rsvp to their closing night - our waiter said half the staff walked off the closing day, so they were buried. Food was expensive and mediocre - so at least they finished out consistently! :boomtisk:

glad they're keeping the spotted trotter outpost open, would have been a shame to lose that.

Windyblade
Oct 17, 2005

I hope we're still friends after I taser you.
I know someone that was brought on as a baker right when it opened and he bailed with a quickness after it became obvious the job wasn't anything like what he was promised. I don't think they ever got their poo poo together.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
The Cockentrice lasted a bit longer than I expected. My buddy who works at Krog told me he thought it would close in a couple months, and that probably four to six months ago. In the last half-year, I believe they redesigned the menu a couple times, which seemed to reek of desperation to me. I remember going to Krog and the whole place being packed, and then eating at Cockentrice and they were maybe a quarter full.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I got a gift card to cock entrance and it was one of the worst/disappointing meals ive ever had at a supposed nice restaurant in atlanta. we left hungry because the portions were so shabby and not nearly good enough to justify the size nor price

glad it closed

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
keepin my fingers crossed the luminary drops soon too &_&

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I'm told The Luminary has backers with deep pockets.

kontona
May 3, 2003

thathonkey posted:

I got a gift card to cock entrance and it was one of the worst/disappointing meals...

this made me laugh way more hard than it should have.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

venutolo posted:

I'm told The Luminary has backers with deep pockets.

literally every other time I pass them, they are hosting a private party for Amex or Delta or something, and they're regularly in food and wine and poo poo despite being a terrible restaurant, so somehow this isn't suprising.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Hey yall, working in Midtown now near Atlantic Station, what's the good place for fancy asian soups around here? Stretches my lunch break a little too much driving to Dai Loi, would love something good closer.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Tatsuta Age posted:

Hey yall, working in Midtown now near Atlantic Station, what's the good place for fancy asian soups around here? Stretches my lunch break a little too much driving to Dai Loi, would love something good closer.

Ramen at Wagaya?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

literally every other time I pass them, they are hosting a private party for Amex or Delta or something

They are closed right now for a private event.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Tatsuta Age posted:

I always liked Malaya over on Collier near Howell Mill:
http://www.atlantamalaya.com/

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I ate dinner at O-Ku Sushi tonight and had the nigiri omakase and impressed. Started with a course of lighter fish, then a course of nigiri that had been very lightly torched that was fantastic, then finally a course of their "signature" nigiri. It all seemed like very good quality fish (plus a piece of wagyu). I didn't love the atmosphere (a little too stylish or upscale for my tastes), but that's about the only negative. Definitely going to be among the places I think about when I want sushi.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i think The Optimist is my favorite restaurant in atl and im not even a huge seafood fan.

Where do yall think is the best burg in atl? My vote goes to Bocado

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Tatsuta Age posted:

Pho King is pretty close to opening on WP'tree just south of 10th by Pita Pit.

thathonkey posted:

i think The Optimist is my favorite restaurant in atl and im not even a huge seafood fan.

Where do yall think is the best burg in atl? My vote goes to Bocado

I wish I liked the Optimist more. The food is good but I just don't love the place. I'd take Kimball House over Optimist any day.

Burgers: Bocado is great. So is Fred's. Argosy's plancha burger. General Muir. The EARL has a shockingly good burger if you like a thicker patty backyard grilled style.

Best burger is at Bones though.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 5, 2016

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Oh I forgot. The burger at Bread and Butterfly is loving amazing too. I think I still like Bocado's better but drat. H&F burger place at Ponce Market is good too. Fred's is good and similar to the burger they have at General Muir but they come out too greasy for my liking sometimes.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Lawen posted:

Pho King is pretty close to opening on WP'tree just south of 10th by Pita Pit.

If that one's anything like the Pho King at Peachtree and Biscayne it's pretty okay. Not as good as something more authentic on Buford Hwy but still nice enough that I've eaten there a few times when convenient. I actually think I like their bobas more than anything else though.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

thathonkey posted:

Oh I forgot. The burger at Bread and Butterfly is loving amazing too. I think I still like Bocado's better but drat. H&F burger place at Ponce Market is good too. Fred's is good and similar to the burger they have at General Muir but they come out too greasy for my liking sometimes.

bocado's burger is great, but it's a copy of H&F's. there was an interview in a food and wine with linton where he was asked for best burgers in Atlanta, and he was like 'Bocado. because it's h&f's burger' basically. I had to lol.

that said, h&f's burger heydays are long gone, and the place at ponce market is (of course) a shadow of what the original burgs were, so I guess at this point we are grasping at straws.

I've never had Fred's burger, because if I'm eating there I am eating a cheesesteak.

on the burg front though, I really like Grindhouse's burgers. *** not biased

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

I've never had Fred's burger, because if I'm eating there I am eating a cheesesteak.

FYI they recently put out a chicken cheesesteak, and sometime in the future they are rolling out a Korean-ish cheesesteak that I've heard very good things about.

I also spent two weekends recently in and around Philadelphia, and the Fred's cheesesteak is so superior to what I had in Philadelphia. It is kind of an unfair comparison because the Philly places are all $9, very quick turnover sort of places, and that's not what Fred's does. But cheesesteak vs. cheesesteak, Fred's is way better.

venutolo fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 7, 2016

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Fred's cheesesteak is great but drat it's like $15 i cant get one every time. I like grindhouse burgs a lot too... i like all burgs it turns out :shrug:

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
Did any of you guys go to chomp and stomp? I learned that most people have really really bad ideas about how chili should taste, but I guess I should have known that going in

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Are there any good bakeries or coffee shops near-ish the Fed? I'm going to be staying in Midtown for a few days and I need some ammunition in my neverending struggle to convince my girlfriend that lovely hotel breakfasts are a bad idea (her standards drop precipitously if it's "free"). I know about Empire State South but otherwise I'm only familiar with the Caribou Coffee that had a much shorter line than Flying Biscuit. Bonus points for a place open early on Sunday.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

lavaca posted:

Are there any good bakeries or coffee shops near-ish the Fed? I'm going to be staying in Midtown for a few days and I need some ammunition in my neverending struggle to convince my girlfriend that lovely hotel breakfasts are a bad idea (her standards drop precipitously if it's "free"). I know about Empire State South but otherwise I'm only familiar with the Caribou Coffee that had a much shorter line than Flying Biscuit. Bonus points for a place open early on Sunday.

west egg & ria's are good but not really near midtown, you'd have to drive a little

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Stalizard posted:

Did any of you guys go to chomp and stomp? I learned that most people have really really bad ideas about how chili should taste, but I guess I should have known that going in

that's part of the charm!

cabbagetown's chili thing is flawed in many ways, but it's great in at least twice as many. it does great things for the neighborhood, so at very least, thanks for attending.

I was out of town for a wedding this year, but by god I'm gonna compete next year.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

lavaca posted:

Highland Bakery on 14th and Crescent is good.

Bantam and Buddy on 11th and Crescent isn't bad, and very walkable.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Bantam and Buddy on 11th and Crescent isn't bad, and very walkable.
It is also closed for renovation right now. There is technically a Sweet Hut blocks from you if you want coffee + pastry. You should walk to Octane Arts Center for your coffee and pastry though; maxi relaxy, good views, and you can switch to the cocktail menu if you're cortado'd & ameri-cola'd out. Or go another couple blocks north to Huge Cafe to get Brash drip or Japanese iced coffee. Plus buns.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

venutolo posted:

Ramen at Wagaya?

Did this today it was good but nothing incredible. Do you have a fav item there?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Tatsuta Age posted:

Did this today it was good but nothing incredible. Do you have a fav item there?

No. I'm not a big fan of Wagaya or anything. It was the only Asian soup kind of thing I could think of near Atlantic Station. Other people seem to like Wagaya more than I do.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

venutolo posted:

No. I'm not a big fan of Wagaya or anything. It was the only Asian soup kind of thing I could think of near Atlantic Station. Other people seem to like Wagaya more than I do.

Fair enough. It was very tasty, but $35 for a soup and a nigiri lunch special with two teas was more of the issue with me; the food was actually really good! Just more pricy than I like in a place I will probably go twice a week or more.

Maybe I'm just old now and that's the new normal everywhere. Oh well.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
We decided to visit Oakland Cemetery, so we ended up at Octane in Grant Park. It more than satisfied the need. I really enjoyed the ham puff from the bakery (a gougere with a slice of ham in the middle), though it was a little odd to have to pay separately for coffee and pastries.

After that we had lunch at Staplehouse best dishes were the duck and the fingerling sweet potatoes), drinks at Ticonderoga Club and cheesesteaks at Fred's. Between those and last night's dinner at Revival, I am already concerned about being able to fit into the clothing I brought with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
those are some pretty pro choice spots way to do atlanta right. only thing missing is the varsity