Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

You know, I've been rewatching Sucker Punch, and it makes me think about what a shame it is I really hate Zack Snyder's DCU, considering Sucker Punch and the Watchmen movie are two of my favorite films of all time. I wish he could break free because it feels like his talent is being squandered where he's at and by the end of the ride he may not get much work after.

The most fun would be if Snyder made live-action Dragon Ball Z movies with no meaningful story, just guys punching each other for an hour and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah I think I forgot to mention here but the Marvel Studios logo change is so bad. They went from something which was visually quite interesting to boring stills from previous films.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I guess they'd rather show their own content instead of the source material, since nobody reads comics.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I agree with everyone else that it was generally very good and the Hong Kong and Final Scenes are the standouts.

One minor thing I really enjoyed was the opening scene fakeout where they run out into New York City from the Temple.

And yes, the new MCU opening thing is bad. The content itself it fine, but they made it 15 seconds longer than the previous one for no reason. The old one was fine.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

That was London, not New York.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

irlZaphod posted:

That was London, not New York.

Doh. My America-Centric brain made it NYC.

But it was a cool scene!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

One moment I really liked was in the Hong Kong scene because I was thinking with everything reversing, wouldn't it be cool if one of the bad guys became imprisoned inside a wall being reconstructed, and then twenty seconds later that's exactly what happens to Kaecilius.

The humour usually fell flat for me in the movie but overall I really enjoyed it. It's not the Strange of the comics but the more I think about the choices they made the more I agree with most of them.

Schneider Heim posted:

I guess they'd rather show their own content instead of the source material, since nobody reads comics.

Or they were always planning to do it this way but needed enough different characters to be established first.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

One moment I really liked was in the Hong Kong scene because I was thinking with everything reversing, wouldn't it be cool if one of the bad guys became imprisoned inside a wall being reconstructed, and then twenty seconds later that's exactly what happens to Kaecilius.

I also enjoyed the bit where one of his minions gets knocked into a fish tank which then refills with water and repairs itself around her.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I also enjoyed the bit where one of his minions gets knocked into a fish tank which then refills with water and repairs itself around her.

I wasn't 100% on what happened there. Maybe I turned away from the screen for a second or something but I thought the water carried her up into the tank like the opposite of most movies where destroying a tank knocks the person down or washes them away with the water.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Lobok posted:

I wasn't 100% on what happened there. Maybe I turned away from the screen for a second or something but I thought the water carried her up into the tank like the opposite of most movies where destroying a tank knocks the person down or washes them away with the water.

Yeah, it was that.

What were the three surgical cases that they presented to Strange? One was clearly Rhodey. Were the other two meant to be recognizable?

Strontosaurus fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 4, 2016

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Strontosaurus posted:

Yeah, it was that.

What were the three surgical cases that they presented to Strange? One was clearly Rhodey. Were the other two meant to be recognizable?

The woman with the multiple personalities sounded like Typhoid Mary/ Bloody Mary.

One thing I noticed was how much this film reminded me of the Green Lantern movie. Spoilers to follow.

So basically you have a film about a flawed person who is given fantastic powers, has to be taught how to use them by a council of more experienced users who lack the heroes flexibility, fights the villain who is a front for an even more powerful badguy. And they both feature a post credit sequence where the heroes comrade does a heel-turn.

Only it seems like Marvel took everything about GL and did it correctly. Probably helps that they didn't have Warner Brother's studio interfering because they were so desperate to make sure the film didn't fail.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Strontosaurus posted:

I genuinely didn't cotton onto that. For some reason my first thought was the poor guy in Justin Hammer's defective Iron Man knock-off armour from IM2.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I saw Doctor Strange last night as well and really enjoyed it. The action sequences and effects were amazing and the musical score was great. The actors all did a pretty good job and I really liked Benedict Cumberbatch in the role. I didn't mind all the random bits of humor they added.

My only real complaint is that I really wish movies and TV would stop using defibrillators on a flatline ECG. I understand that it was necessary for the plot but it's just a pet peeve.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Haven't seen Doctor Strange yet, but I need somebody who has to confirm something I saw on IMDB for me: does the movie really use Pink Floyd's "Interstellar Overdrive"?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Eh! Frank posted:

Haven't seen Doctor Strange yet, but I need somebody who has to confirm something I saw on IMDB for me: does the movie really use Pink Floyd's "Interstellar Overdrive"?

I believe it plays when he has his car crash.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Yes.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Eh! Frank posted:

Yes it does, and it's glorious.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ihatepants posted:

My only real complaint is that I really wish movies and TV would stop using defibrillators on a flatline ECG. I understand that it was necessary for the plot but it's just a pet peeve.

Especially in a movie about a doctor... but hey, they at least used it for an inventive fight move.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Just saw Doctor Strange. Loved it, probably my second or third favorite Marvel movie (behind Civil War and Guardians). The visual effects and setpieces (of which there were numerous) were loving spectacular, and it was this wonderful surreal treat from start to finish. Anchored by extremely strong performances, especially in the case of Swinton and Cumberbatch, a good script, and fantastic pacing - seriously, its probably the best paced Marvel movie, never ever stopping with every scene flowing into the next - made for an extremely enjoyable movie experience.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Saw it this afternoon with my family. Formula Marvel, perhaps, nothing aside from the balls-to-the-walls special effects is very original, but it's fun. Solid actors in lead roles, pointless love interest, plenty of humor, great action sequences, etc.

The Cloak of Levitation might be my favorite character in the movie. I hope Mordo won't be an outright villain in the future - I enjoyed his relationship with Strange, and would prefer him as an antagonist but not outright evil.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Basically I've learned when it comes to Marvel movies ignore any reviews or impressions until about three weeks after it came out.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

greatn posted:

Basically I've learned when it comes to Marvel movies ignore any reviews or impressions until about three weeks after it came out.

All the reviews basically said it was a by the numbers origin story that is elevated to greatness by incredible visuals and set pieces, strong performances from the cast, and creative action scenes and they are pretty much right.

The plot arc is 50% Iron Man 1 reboot and then 50% generic origin story. But Tilda, Cumberbatch, and Ejiofor crush it. The visuals are amazing and it is very inventive and unique.

I've always loved Tilda, but I had no strong opinions on Cumberbatch. He totally sells Strange and nails it. Almost as good casting as RDJ.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I loved it, honestly. Just finished but it's a really fun, inventive movie.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It really shows how a generic plot can result in a good to great movie with a good cast and direction.

Seeing the Guardians teaser on the big screen, I'm 100% sure that the shot of them walking in the forest is after the MIlano crashes on earth.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I genuinely think the movie is elevated to greatness because of its pacing. It just moves, and never lets up, and like Deadpool earlier this year - an utterly generic film saved by its plot progression - Doctor Strange never lets up from minute one to close and, because of it, is a wonderful viewing experience.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I genuinely think the movie is elevated to greatness because of its pacing. It just moves, and never lets up, and like Deadpool earlier this year - an utterly generic film saved by its plot progression - Doctor Strange never lets up from minute one to close and, because of it, is a wonderful viewing experience.

I discussed the film all day today and it really raised my opinion of it. I got several new perspectives on various scenes and it really brought me around on things I didn't initially care for. At this point the only real problem I have with the whole film is the blasting through the cosmos part when Strange first meets the Ancient One.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

All the reviews basically said it was a by the numbers origin story that is elevated to greatness by incredible visuals and set pieces, strong performances from the cast, and creative action scenes and they are pretty much right.

The plot arc is 50% Iron Man 1 reboot and then 50% generic origin story. But Tilda, Cumberbatch, and Ejiofor crush it. The visuals are amazing and it is very inventive and unique.

I've always loved Tilda, but I had no strong opinions on Cumberbatch. He totally sells Strange and nails it. Almost as good casting as RDJ.

This is pretty much exactly right.

I wasn't a huge fan of their design for Dormammu, and I would have liked the fights to be a bit more mystic arts, a little less kung fu, but those are pretty minor. It's a very solid 4/5 overall.

Cumberbatch absolutely kills it, though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Joaquin Phoenix is a great actor and I'm sure he could have done something with the role, but it's hard to imagine how he could have played Strange at all like Cumberbatch did. I think Cumberbatch was about as perfect for this incarnation of Strange as it gets. With Phoenix it would have had to have been a different take altogether because I just couldn't see him doing this. I'm not saying I wouldn't have liked to see him try something different, but I'm very pleased with what we got.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, I generally have had neutral to negative feelings on Cumberbatch in the stuff I've seen him in, and I think he did great as Strange. Really, I liked pretty much the entire movie front to back, but I'm also pretty easy to please when it comes to comic book movies.

Oddly enough, the one thing that stood out to me that I really didn't like were the gloves in the mid credits scene. I don't know why, they just looked off. Maybe a bit too bulky? idk But that's like the tiniest, most nitpicky of complaints possible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No the gloves were terrible I agree!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Marvel basically made a wuxia movie and didn't tell anybody till it was out

also possibly my favorite villain defeat in the MCU?

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

He's keeping his hands soft for Rachel McAdams.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah that whole thing was, start to loving finish, pitch-perfect.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Blockhouse posted:

By a mile, yeah

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Blockhouse posted:

Didn't Dan Harmon work on this movie in some fashion? I don't like a lot of his stuff but some of it hits and that scene in particular seems like something he would have come up with.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Just saw Dr. Strange. Grade A visuals. Really imaginative stuff. Definitely worth the price of admission. I knew I was in for a treat when it started off with The Ancient One fighting like Axel from Kingdom Hearts. That final fight in Hong Kong with time reversing around everyone will forever be in my memory. That was creative as hell. Ditto for the time loop finish on Dormammu. I understand people feeling like the humor was overdone. There were times when it was good and times when it was clearly the creators just being too afraid that audiences would tune out if things got serious. I understand adding levity to keep the movie from taking itself too seriously, but there were times when I wasn't sure if I should be taking anything seriously. Also we could've used more Mordo if he was gonna heel turn.

I marked hard as hell for that mid-credits scene. That was all I ever wanted.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I never really considered Doctor Strange a funny (or "trying to be funny", more accurately, in that irritatingly Whedon-rear end way where Joss refuses to let a single minute pass without someone saying some overly stylistic line that somehow the perfect bon mot) movie, it just is sometimes humorous. I never really got irritated or put off by the humor since to me it was more of these vaguely interesting smile-getting lines that feel naturalistic, like how people talk in real life-cutting their dialog with levity to lighten mood and so on. It, again, never felt like Whedon, who to me is the pinnacle of overly stylized speech that turns every other line into some too clever by half joke.

Like again, most of the humor of Doctor Strange isnt really funny, but it never really broke immersion. Its not a comedy, and the humor didnt really seem to be going for those big laugh lines over just replicating normal speech syncopation, and to my mind it totally succeeded at that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I dunno, I really thought some of the cloak stuff was ridiculous and unnecessary.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Is no one going to address the elephant in the room with the Wonder Woman trailers and bring up the shocking lack of bondage? Because

greatn posted:

I cannot describe how my interest flags when there's a movie about phantasmagorical interdimensional wizard warfare, but most anyone can say about it is that it's a rote origin story with totally cool sfx. How did they convey the pop mysticism of the old comics? Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I dunno, I really thought some of the cloak stuff was ridiculous and unnecessary.

I thought the same thing just as the audience cheered and laughed the loudest they ever had.

• Locked thread