Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Looper posted:

For as many good games as it has, the Wii U missed a lot of solid opportunities

Pokemon Snap U would have been an awesome name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

:cheer: Well done squad! I also love the name super and the mario colours. That's fantastic. :D

I always put the names of people I know into games because it triples the fun!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:smith:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

aw yea

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

dishonored 2 is next week oh my god I'm so excited. DXMD was a huge letdown in the 1st person stealth / skilled godlike saboteur department.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I love Rupon

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Zaphod42 posted:

I love Rupon

"Welcome to Rupon's Drag Race!" Lupin comes down the runway wearing a dress with two cantaloupes for breasts and a blond wig that's not covering his real hairline.

Later, Lupin sneaks into the changing room to get a peek at the sexy ladies and makes a startling discovery

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

please don't spoil lupin

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
You guys ever play n++? I got it on the steam sale and drat it owns. Its getting pretty hard (I'm on the 3rd row of the main game) and for some of these levels I can't imagine actually going for all the "coins". Also I have it set to cycle color palettes, which is cool but is there any way to just pick the one you want? I don't see it in the options.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I remember playing the original N on Newgrounds or Addictinggames or similar like ten years ago. I was considering buying N++ for old times' sake, I'm glad to hear from reviews etc that it's good.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
N++ is extremely good and has a ridiculous amount of content. Difficulty creeps up pretty hard though

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

MMF Freeway posted:

You guys ever play n++? I got it on the steam sale and drat it owns. Its getting pretty hard (I'm on the 3rd row of the main game) and for some of these levels I can't imagine actually going for all the "coins". Also I have it set to cycle color palettes, which is cool but is there any way to just pick the one you want? I don't see it in the options.

N++ is super good! I was the first person to complete every level on PS4 :c00l: (But yeah I dropped the idea of going for all gold in levels pretty early on)

There is definitely an option to just pick one palette

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

goferchan posted:

N++ is extremely good and has a ridiculous amount of content. Difficulty creeps up pretty hard though

Well, the content is a mixed bag. There' a tooon of levels and they're well designed, but the art is extremely minimalistic (basically comes down to "sometimes the background changes colors"), and there's no story to speak of.

Even Super Meat Boy has more art and story and style than N++ does, and its a pretty simple indie game. But N++ does what it does well, its just a one-trick pony.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why does a platformer need a story

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The extremely focused approach is what drew me to the game in the first place. The visuals are very readable and the controls are tight which is really all you need in a good precision platformer. It even has like a mario maker thing going on although I haven't really checked out any user made levels yet.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I too play my skill based video games for the story

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zaphod42 posted:

Well, the content is a mixed bag. There' a tooon of levels and they're well designed, but the art is extremely minimalistic (basically comes down to "sometimes the background changes colors"), and there's no story to speak of.

Even Super Meat Boy has more art and story and style than N++ does, and its a pretty simple indie game. But N++ does what it does well, its just a one-trick pony.

I would argue that their super tight focus on gameplay alone is what makes it so good. They didn't bother with story or super flashy visuals because they don't really need it for the game to be a real contender. I'd say that N and games like it are the perfect example of how a video game doesn't need any specific thing to be considered good, it just needs focus.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

Because both Klonoa games owned.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

would shovel knight be even better without a direct story and just nuclear throne/spelunky levels of flavor/style

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh hey there's something I haven't played in a while and should go back to.

The stage concepts in Klonoa 2 were loving inspired.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Well yeah but he pointed to super meat boy where a fetus kidnaps a girl made of bandages

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I would argue that their super tight focus on gameplay alone is what makes it so good. They didn't bother with story or super flashy visuals because they don't really need it for the game to be a real contender. I'd say that N and games like it are the perfect example of how a video game doesn't need any specific thing to be considered good, it just needs focus.

I never said lack of story made it unfun or bad, merely that 'its has so much content' isn't the whole story. Good art and story are definitely a part of 'content'.

Help Im Alive posted:

I never said it needed one.

Ostentatious posted:

I too play my skill based video games for the story

Oh gently caress off.

oddium posted:

would shovel knight be even better without a direct story and just nuclear throne/spelunky levels of flavor/style

Yeah see Shovel Knight has a nice charming story that doesn't get in the way, and has gorgeous graphics that totally sell the game. Seeing each new level is a delight.

N++ is fine for what it is, but Shovel Knight definitely has more content.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zaphod42 posted:

I never said lack of story made it unfun or bad, merely that 'its has so much content' isn't the whole story. Good art and story are definitely a part of 'content'.

I didn't imply you said that either and I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
A platformer doesn't need a story, but that doesn't mean they should always be done without one. Shovel Knight has a simple but well-done story that adds to the experience, especially for people who one-and-done it. For re-players and speed-players, it's simple enough to not get in the way.

N++ is a different thing. The dev chose to focus on level design alone and left everything else out and that's ok too.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

What I learnt today in the chat thread: Games are good.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Worth distinguishing between story and premise. Something like Mario or Double Dragon has a premise but basically no story. Tetris and Mario Kart have no premise and no story.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
N++'s premise is to enter a virtual world as a digital ninja collecting bitcoins.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Worth distinguishing between story and premise. Something like Mario or Double Dragon has a premise but basically no story. Tetris and Mario Kart have no premise and no story.

And yet Tetris is being made into a trilogy of films, because their story is too big for a single film.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd85YnyFGMc

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

theres a rumor that CD Projekt Red is fighting off a hostile takeover and called a shareholders meeting on the 28th

last year a rumor floated that EA was trying to buy them

:/

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snak posted:

And yet Tetris is being made into a trilogy of films, because their story is too big for a single film.

Hey man, Russia has a long and storied history, there's no way a recount of the space race can fit in one movie.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh gently caress off.

rude

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

VideoGames posted:

N++'s premise is to enter a virtual world as a digital ninja collecting bitcoins.

Funny enough this is actually how Bitcoins are harvested. True story.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

theres a rumor that CD Projekt Red is fighting off a hostile takeover and called a shareholders meeting on the 28th

time for savings institute bank and trust to step up to the plate. for all gamerkind

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I didn't imply you said that either and I'm not sure where you're getting that from.

I guess it was more the other people dogpiling on

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Lobok posted:

Excuse me, the premise of Mario Kart is for one plucky dude to prove that he is the baddest, best racer in all the Mushroom Kingdom. That racer is Toad.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Quest For Glory II posted:

This would be insanely bad for pretty much everyone.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

bloodychill posted:

Excuse me, the premise of Mario Kart is for one plucky dude to prove that he is the baddest, best racer in all the Mushroom Kingdom. That racer is Toad.

And the story of mario kart is always the same: Tragedy by blue shell.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Mariokart certain has a premise. The premise is "the characters from Mario games race each other".

Tic Tac Toe has no premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

ea releases a witcher every year but the only thing that changes is the roster... shake my head at the people buying these. also it has a um. dynasty mode?? is that a thing

• Locked thread