Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I lost the final 3 times again this week and was just like ehhh whatever. I should really just get to div 1 so I can qualify myself the lazy way every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Seltzer posted:

I gave Menez a try the other night based on advice here. He's definitely really really good and is a perfect example of a card that plays way above it's rating. Unfortunately,I didn't like the rest of the squad so I'm sidelining him for now.

Try this: http://www.futhead.com/17/squads/1952091/

Not cheap or anything but 3 5 star skillers, everyone in the front five has at least 4 star skills and 4 star weak foot (except for ADM, but you can swap him for Lucas anyway), all can dribble. It's pretty fun.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 4, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Ran into Hektic fuckin jukez himself at weekend league. Only lost 3-1 I'm the best!!!!!

It really is crazy to play people who are like good at dribbling though, I felt like I had huge pressure on him a lot and he just always managed to dribble out of it.

Meanwhile pretty much the only way I can score on a non-cross or something is like some combination of passes where I put a guy through on goal with a through ball or something and he can just fire on the net 1v1. I'm so bad at using moves to get around people, and I just sit there with my jaw on the floor whenever I run into people that are like truly good at it.

Even still, it was heartening to see that like most of the time he still lost the ball, he only had 7 shots on me so it wasn't like even as good as he was that he was just getting open looks every single time he had the ball.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 5, 2016

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

I was gonna make something with Ben Arfa + Menez but hes too expensive for a budget squad.

Stefan Prodan posted:

Ran into Hektic fuckin jukez himself at weekend league. Only lost 3-1 I'm the best!!!!!

It really is crazy to play people who are like good at dribbling though, I felt like I had huge pressure on him a lot and he just always managed to dribble out of it.

Did he do anything out of the ordinary or just everything correct? Also I assume he was on counter attack right?

IF Al Soma is really awesome but his links are so poo poo. He has the rare strength + balance combo which tall players usually never have. I might make a sub spot for him.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

I was gonna make something with Ben Arfa + Menez but hes too expensive for a budget squad.

Did he do anything out of the ordinary or just everything correct? Also I assume he was on counter attack right?

IF Al Soma is really awesome but his links are so poo poo. He has the rare strength + balance combo which tall players usually never have. I might make a sub spot for him.

Yeah nothing out of the ordinary it was just way harder to get the ball from him in my box than against other people, he would always do some move at the last second (and it wasn't like the same move over and over he just knew which one to use for each situation)

I mean against most of the time I got it from him but it only took a few times.

And we were both playing on balanced, he doesn't park it as far as I'm aware.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I'm playing through the journey and playing games as the whole team. Obviously I'm trying to do most of my scoring with Alex Hunter so he can continue progressing but his positioning when he's off the ball is so frustrating. Always hanging back while other guys are up ahead, makes boneheaded runs on his own, and won't most of the time I hit the manual run button. What am I doing wrong? He's like the worst player on the pitch when he doesn't have the ball, and the best when he does, and gets it in a good position.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Just had the greatest ending to a FIFA match ever

I went 0-0 with a dude through 120 minutes in weekend league and honestly he probably outplayed me and should have won like 2-1 but neither of us could hit the fuckin net at all at any point, so anyway we went into PKs and then this happened (I'm white)

You can also see me smashing up on the dpad trying to get the arrow to appear to no avail when the instructions keep popping up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDGTUV15_ts

If he didn't smash his controller after this then he should be some sort of zen mindset coach

Especially since Hernandez's goal bascally went right through his dude's fingertips lol

I did think it was a neat thing he was doing putting in the power at the last second, making it harder for me to get a read on whether the shot was going high or low. I think I'm gonna start doing that.

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 5, 2016

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Stefan Prodan posted:

Just had the greatest ending to a FIFA match ever

I went 0-0 with a dude through 120 minutes in weekend league and honestly he probably outplayed me and should have won like 2-1 but neither of us could hit the fuckin net at all at any point, so anyway we went into PKs and then this happened (I'm white)

You can also see me smashing up on the dpad trying to get the arrow to appear to no avail when the instructions keep popping up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDGTUV15_ts

If he didn't smash his controller after this then he should be some sort of zen mindset coach

Especially since Hernandez's goal bascally went right through his dude's fingertips lol

I did think it was a neat thing he was doing putting in the power at the last second, making it harder for me to get a read on whether the shot was going high or low. I think I'm gonna start doing that.

Holy poo poo.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Scored this just now just to prove I can hit a free kick :)

Although it wouldn't have worked at all if he had just, you know, mashed triangle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-p6KK4Y5J0

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I just had an awesome online match.

I scored pretty early, about the 10th minute of the game. Then my 4-month old woke up and started screaming so I went upstairs and changed him, rocked him a bit and he eventually went back to sleep.

To my surprise, when I got back downstairs the game was still going on! I got back just in time for the 90th minute. Also to my surprise, I was still up 1-0! I then gave up a goal in the third minute of stoppage time to draw the match :suicide:.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I managed to have one of my CBs sent off before I left, and never had the change to fill his position.

DoctaFun fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 6, 2016

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Wait, they couldn't score when you weren't even there? :stare:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Played all but a couple of my games, got gold 2 again!! For the third time!!

Well, no one can say I'm not consistent I guess, just wish I could get consistently better

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010

Stefan Prodan posted:

Its extra frustrating playing against an afk person because they sit through every single cutscene and still defend kinda well.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
People in r\fifa complain about how hard it is to score against AFK players but whenever it happens to me I just walk the ball towards the defenders (walk! don't sprint) which forces the cursor to change, at that point the 'controlled defender' becomes a dummy and won't tackle the ball so you just continue walking around him repeat until you're in a good scoring position, etc. It is annoying cause whenever you miss you're gonna wait about 60 seconds until the GK is forced to kickoff and the match takes around 25 minutes to complete but it's really easy to win.

I think people just try to sprint through the defense which is something the AI reacts very competently to by covering for one another and occasionally even doing automatic clearances but really if you let go of sprint the AI does nothing at all when you approach it.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
That is an interesting trick that I never would have thought of.

The person who did it to me went 3-0 up in the first 15 minutes and then kinda put their controller down and did something else, occasionally checking back with bursts of activity. I got back 1 goal but I imagine that if I had gotten closer they would have just picked up the controller and scored more goals as they were far, far better than me.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah if someone afks on me I can usually score like at least 10 goals in a whole game it's really not hard if you don't sprint

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Hahah Draxler owns hard. He assists like crazy for my team, but only scores tap ins and whatnot.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

IF-Modeste is a monster. I've never played with a better player than this card. I just scored his 25th goal in 22 games played. I've never had a Striker have this good of a ratio. My strikers usually tend to be around 2:1, scoring once every 2 or so games. Completely unheard of with how this guy plays for me.

I love these side net shots,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6sWOyK8yq4&t=36s

Shrugs off a defender and drives in the tying goal,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nugeT9nm_B4

Replays of last goal,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvLs72FryjY

I will never get rid of this guy.

In other news, I'm up to about 90k coins saved and I plan to sit on my squads until Black Friday. After Black Friday I'll buy up these players to complete my squads,
http://www.futbin.com/17/squad/268049
http://www.futbin.com/17/squad/269187

The completed squads will look like this,
http://www.futbin.com/17/squad/269165
http://www.futbin.com/17/squad/268036

I just bought SIF-Immobile while his price dropped to 45k, should be fun to have him back in the squad.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Modeste has been a beast for me too, but has a more normal .5 goals a game or something like you said mostly because I'm trash :shobon:

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
Going to try Modeste in the weekend league this week. Thinking of rolling with this team.

http://www.futhead.com/17/squads/2070837/

Have they announced what enhancements/changes we'll see with the ps4pro and fifa?

Honestly, even if it only fixes the laggy mess of the menus I'd be happy.

Filthee Fingas fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 8, 2016

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
I love when this happens

http://imgur.com/svl0yVD

Same guy was selling for 400 coins. Poor guy acted too hastily.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
In case anyone was curious I uploaded my game against Jukez

So if you want you can see me get my rear end kicked by the best player in the country that I'm aware of

Note also that my goal was kind of a lucky bounce bullshit and his last goal was like the game lagged a bit and I tried to pass back and his guy bumped me as I was passing and it just kinda squirted out for an easy counter by him so the game probably should have been the same goal difference but with one fewer goal by both of us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viaLFpf-L0s

Oh yeah and his first goal was just on a bullshit awful clearance, I forgot about that lol, not that I'm making excuses he obviously outplayed me completely

One thing I think is really emblematic of the stuff he does that I wish I could do was on the second goal at 3:02 where he was in a pretty dangerous position to shoot but in that split second he noticed that he had a guy who was open more above him and he actually did a fuckin scoop turn I think to turn up there and then passed it for an open shot, whereas when I get in a spot like that I think I just panic and start mashin shoot

Like a great example is 3:38 I actually broke down his defense and was in a pretty good spot but I think if I had passed it down my guy would have been at a slightly worse angle but would have had absolutely no defensive pressure and would have probably gotten a better shot off if like the instant Hernandez got it he did a through ball back to Modeste (although it happens so fast it's hard to tell if he would be offsides)

I have a hard time balancing trying to find the best shots like that with sometimes I just get games where I never find an angle good enough and just don't get enough shots off, so maybe erring on the side of at least getting shots off is correct

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 9, 2016

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
How does he make that speed knock on move when he's not sprinting? Look at around 11:39. It's like a short burst of pace with the ball but can quickly control the ball right after

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
He's using Aguero so I think since Aguero has such good dribbling and acceleration he just let go of everything and let Aguero get settled on the ball then hit sprint again and got a good initial boost

I don't think he hit anything in particular

If you mean how he turned around so fast I thiiiink he did a really fast body feint to the right then turned around but I can't quite tell, it happens so fast

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I have to say that you played pretty well, but what can you do against one of the 5 or 10 best players in the world.

His movement and stuff is unreal.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
that guy would beat me like 15-0.

Whenever I play better players they just seem to pressure me defensively so much more effectively, which I don't completely understand. They are obviously better at intercepting the ball and clogging passing lanes, but it seems like I have less time with the ball overall as well.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

He's using Aguero so I think since Aguero has such good dribbling and acceleration he just let go of everything and let Aguero get settled on the ball then hit sprint again and got a good initial boost

I don't think he hit anything in particular

If you mean how he turned around so fast I thiiiink he did a really fast body feint to the right then turned around but I can't quite tell, it happens so fast

The one thing I'd take from it and don't take this as criticism since I would have played terrible against someone like him - you were passing to quickly/hastily at times. The one thing he does well is when there's space, he dribbles with the player into open space before giving off a pass when getting closed down.

I know I do the same thing will passing (mostly due to nerves and not wanting to get tackled) but I'm trying to resist the urge to pass when I still got time and space with the player who has the ball.

Still though, you did well for playing someone like him who rarely loses.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

that guy would beat me like 15-0.

Whenever I play better players they just seem to pressure me defensively so much more effectively, which I don't completely understand. They are obviously better at intercepting the ball and clogging passing lanes, but it seems like I have less time with the ball overall as well.

Based what I've seen in some of the pro's videos, they use the computer player to contain you while cutting passing lanes with the controlled player.

If they would nerf the AI and force people to manual tackle, it would make the game so much better.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The "small flicks" Jukez does seem to be three different things:
1. Body feint + exit - do a body feint (RS tap a direction perpendicular to the direction your player is facing) and then exit with LS to any direction, if it's forward or to the side you'll get a speed boost.
2. "no touch dribble" exit - while moving with the ball hold L1 + LS to a perpendicular direction, your player will half turn his body and then you hold sprint + LS direction, speed boost etc.
3. Face up dribbling exit - do a face up dribble and then let go of L2 while holding a direction, your player will take a heavier touch in the direction of the exit.

Not that pulling these off consistently and in the right situations is trivial in any way or anything.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Stefan Prodan posted:

Correct, which was like 90% of the game. It was pretty incredible.

I think we might have a perfect storm on our hands for next weeks POTM SBC. I've stocked up on Pedro, hoping that Hazard gets the nod. His price should increase significantly if an all chelsea squad is needed(or even if a high rated BPL squad, as he's a high rated LM where most other options are pricey).

In addition, he's in TOTW this week, so he won't be in packs all week. If the hype gets big early next week, I think his price could increase substantially. Would bring a hefty profit my direction.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Filthee Fingas posted:

The one thing I'd take from it and don't take this as criticism since I would have played terrible against someone like him - you were passing to quickly/hastily at times. The one thing he does well is when there's space, he dribbles with the player into open space before giving off a pass when getting closed down.

I know I do the same thing will passing (mostly due to nerves and not wanting to get tackled) but I'm trying to resist the urge to pass when I still got time and space with the player who has the ball.

Still though, you did well for playing someone like him who rarely loses.

Yeah I mean I try to mainly play a tiki taka style thing but definitely a couple times I had some bad passes where I started to charge the pass because I thought my guy was gonna turn around but he took a bad touch and didn't turn around so I got a bad pass off, or like you said I just have some space but go ahead and make a pass anyway. The main reason I pass it around so much is that it makes more weird things happen where if people are using the 2nd man contain it can make them pull someone out that they didn't mean to with all the switching going on, or they can just be more likely to make a mistake as far as who they're moving and where, in my opinion at least.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I sold most of my expensive stuff and players I don't use for Black Friday. I'm holding onto all my bundesliga cards and all my EPL cards though (EPL is used in like every other squad builder so that pays to wait). Hoarding all the cards you don't use for SBCs is ok but I just get tired of waiting and stuff clogging up my club. Most SBCs have been adjusted to be easier/less predictable recently and have been cheap to do so waiting to use cards seems extra pointless now. I have 5 movember cards just sitting though. Two golds at discard, Fletcher for my scottish team at 10k and I packed one bronze one and bought another bronze one for 2.5k BIN. They haven't done any boosts to the cards or required them for anything yet, but I honestly can't see them not becoming more important. My guess is they let the cards out there for awhile without anything going on so they're affordable before they announce anything as to avoid a scenario like halloween where the cards were all 80k for most of the event. The one dicey investment I might make is picking up a OTW Dembele card. It's steadily dropped to about 60k. He's having an ok season nothing spectacular but his card would be great if he got an IF.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004

Seltzer posted:

I sold most of my expensive stuff and players I don't use for Black Friday. I'm holding onto all my bundesliga cards and all my EPL cards though (EPL is used in like every other squad builder so that pays to wait). Hoarding all the cards you don't use for SBCs is ok but I just get tired of waiting and stuff clogging up my club. Most SBCs have been adjusted to be easier/less predictable recently and have been cheap to do so waiting to use cards seems extra pointless now. I have 5 movember cards just sitting though. Two golds at discard, Fletcher for my scottish team at 10k and I packed one bronze one and bought another bronze one for 2.5k BIN. They haven't done any boosts to the cards or required them for anything yet, but I honestly can't see them not becoming more important. My guess is they let the cards out there for awhile without anything going on so they're affordable before they announce anything as to avoid a scenario like halloween where the cards were all 80k for most of the event. The one dicey investment I might make is picking up a OTW Dembele card. It's steadily dropped to about 60k. He's having an ok season nothing spectacular but his card would be great if he got an IF.

Yeah I'm on that slippery slope. I'm still bag holding 5 OTW Dembele (If he only played the entire match, Im certain he would have scored another for an IF that week). Rather than sell them, I'm doing what I do with all investments. Doubling Down and buying more OTW Dembele's on the cheap. I'll probably pick up another 2-3 so my overall avg. cost drops.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Filthee Fingas posted:

Yeah I'm on that slippery slope. I'm still bag holding 5 OTW Dembele (If he only played the entire match, Im certain he would have scored another for an IF that week). Rather than sell them, I'm doing what I do with all investments. Doubling Down and buying more OTW Dembele's on the cheap. I'll probably pick up another 2-3 so my overall avg. cost drops.

I've watched a bunch of Dortmund this season. As I said his season has just been ok so I'd be wary going crazy on picking up his cards. The other problem is he's going to start more irregularly/get subbed on more as all the injured players start coming back. I think Reus is going to start playing soon for instance.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
Only got tonight to qualify so lets hope I can in the 6 or so attempts I get.

Going to try with this french team (dumped the goalie in since I needed 3 liga players)

http://www.futhead.com/17/squads/2133969/

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
By the way I found out apparently you don't even need to win division 2 to get weekend league, you just have to win promotion (so 18 points, not 21)

Not that it matters a ton because people said all you have to do is hold division 1 which is 14 points instead of 18, so if you can win promotion to 1 you can probably hold it anyhow

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I qualified for the WL again but there were so many bad goals for both me and my opponent it was a joke. I scored a 90 degree volley with De Rossi after he assisted himself by bouncing the ball off his shoulder and I scored a near post longshot by accident. My opponents goals were even shittier some how. I'll probably not have time to play much again though, I got 5 games in last time and went 3-2.

The game feels a bit different now. At least in the qualifying tournaments. It felt like attacking was easier for both parties? It might be because I sold my IF defenders and went to a 41212(2) with pacey strikers. I finally set both of them to get in behind and press the backline and it made a world of difference. I've stayed away from tactics for the most part besides stay back on CDMs and stay central on STs in a 433. I guess I should mess around with it a bit more. Anyways to all Bundesliga users this card looks like a sleeper pick.

http://www.futhead.com/17/players/50823/kevin-vogt/

CDM to CB change. He has high dribbling and passing for a CB and despite his average defending he's quick, 6'4 ,and strong. I think with sentinel he might kick Sokratis out of my squad. The high/high on Sokratis is annoying and Toprak is just a lot better for me so he's staying. Toprak's 5* weakfoot and 75 short pass is really great on top of his other stats.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
End up qualifying on my 3rd attempt. My first two both went down to the final. 2nd attempt pissed me off so bad. He got a 90th minute cheese goal to push ET and I lost in a shootout.

One thing I noticed was how much lag I had around 8-9pm compared when I played around midnight. I did Speedtest and my ping and DL speeds were fine at both times but for some reason I had no lag in the games on my last attempt. Not sure if it's Fifa side of things or if my ISP is just poo poo during peak hours.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Stefan Prodan posted:

In case anyone was curious I uploaded my game against Jukez

So if you want you can see me get my rear end kicked by the best player in the country that I'm aware of

Note also that my goal was kind of a lucky bounce bullshit and his last goal was like the game lagged a bit and I tried to pass back and his guy bumped me as I was passing and it just kinda squirted out for an easy counter by him so the game probably should have been the same goal difference but with one fewer goal by both of us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viaLFpf-L0s

Oh yeah and his first goal was just on a bullshit awful clearance, I forgot about that lol, not that I'm making excuses he obviously outplayed me completely

One thing I think is really emblematic of the stuff he does that I wish I could do was on the second goal at 3:02 where he was in a pretty dangerous position to shoot but in that split second he noticed that he had a guy who was open more above him and he actually did a fuckin scoop turn I think to turn up there and then passed it for an open shot, whereas when I get in a spot like that I think I just panic and start mashin shoot

Like a great example is 3:38 I actually broke down his defense and was in a pretty good spot but I think if I had passed it down my guy would have been at a slightly worse angle but would have had absolutely no defensive pressure and would have probably gotten a better shot off if like the instant Hernandez got it he did a through ball back to Modeste (although it happens so fast it's hard to tell if he would be offsides)

I have a hard time balancing trying to find the best shots like that with sometimes I just get games where I never find an angle good enough and just don't get enough shots off, so maybe erring on the side of at least getting shots off is correct
Solid performance by you I'd say. 1-3 is the best you could have hoped for. His scooping and timing was insane. I can barely pull off scoops, let alone time them that well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

They added two new league SBCs, Ligue 1 and Pro league. It means my hunch was right, they will keep rolling these out and they will likely do one big league and one smaller league each time. I assume La Liga and EPL will be the last ones. Hopefully Bundesliga is next but I don't know if EA wants to unleash an Aubameyang card into the wild yet. I'm seriously debating stocking up on Serie A and Turklig squads during black friday now. Both will be cheap. An all Juve squad doesn't even cost that much. Bayern was harder.

• Locked thread