Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Your people simply have a rich, four-thousand-year history of carrying things on very well-paved roads like some kind of loving nomads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
The Aztecs had wooden toys with wheels, but never used the wheel for anything other than those toys. The whole of Britain used tandem oxen to force solid wedges of iron through soil for 400 years before some trader from Germany introduced them to the curved plowshare. Engineering always seems obvious once you understand the concept.

Decrepus posted:

Have you tried reading the Civelopedia about Tourism?
Multiple times, and twice just now. Why though?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I really hate the district system. Not the concept of it but having to have cities really close together. It's the exact opposite of how I play and I don't like how it looks.

I guess Civ 6 isn't for me, I just can't get into playing that way and although I'm smashing the AI it's definitely meaning things late game take forever.

It does seem like the AI can build mechanised infantry though. I'm not sure why that's different and why other upgrades (like normal infantry!) are just skipped.

Taear fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 4, 2016

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I wish you could nuke yourself and blame it on someone else, starting a formal war and uniting other civs against an enemy.

Or I can just nuke myself anyway and play pretend. It's called extreme RP'ing.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

John F Bennett posted:

I wish you could nuke yourself and blame it on someone else, starting a formal war and uniting other civs against an enemy.

Or I can just nuke myself anyway and play pretend. It's called extreme RP'ing.

The Civ version of autoerotic asphyxiation?

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
How close is too close and why do you find it too close? The only ways districts encourage city closeness is through adjacency bonuses (which are bonuses and can be ignored) and industrial/entertainment district buildings that provide bonuses to cities in within 6 tiles. That means you can get 8 tiles between two cities and still share a district.

Because production is so scarce, its almost mandatory (in my experience) to stack cities such that they share as many industrial zones as possible. I'm not sure if that is an issue with districts in general or just a result of high production costs and few ways to boost production in cities.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Taear posted:

...Not the concept of it but having to have cities really close together...

I feel that the only civs that benefit from city closeness are Germany and Japan.

pogothemonkey0 posted:

How close is too close and why do you find it too close? The only ways districts encourage city closeness is through adjacency bonuses (which are bonuses and can be ignored) and industrial/entertainment district buildings that provide bonuses to cities in within 6 tiles. That means you can get 8 tiles between two cities and still share a district.

Because production is so scarce, its almost mandatory (in my experience) to stack cities such that they share as many industrial zones as possible. I'm not sure if that is an issue with districts in general or just a result of high production costs and few ways to boost production in cities.

I'm using 5 tile spacing most of the time. Trying to optimise Industrial and Entertainment district placement because of their regional building effect isn't nearly as important for me as founding near fresh water and multiple amenities. This can off course can be offset by being the suzerain of Toronto, which is just as good as Zanzibar and Bueno Aires.

Khagan fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 4, 2016

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

While overlapping factories/power plants is certainly strong you can get a lot of mileage out of internal trade routes for production. Just make sure to build commercial hubs and harbors everywhere you can. Lakes are great harbor spots (aside from great admirals getting trapped there).

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

pogothemonkey0 posted:

That means you can get 8 tiles between two cities and still share a district.

yeah but i don't want to share one district between two cities, i want to share six districts between 6/7 cities

so first i build my grid

then i add some production

and amenities. ok they only cover 5 4/6 cities but it should be plenty

it ain't pretty. note that you can add another ring on top of this for another round of bonuses.

and of course if the terrain makes this impractical just getting a 4-diamond going is still pretty hefty since you get 4x yields from every factory/powerplant + extra district adjecency bonuses

Prav fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 4, 2016

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Sanctum posted:

Multiple times, and twice just now. Why though?

I'm just joking. No one I have talked to can figure it out exactly, or me even vaguely.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Khagan posted:

I feel that the only civs that benefit from city closeness are Germany and Japan.

I'm using 5 tile spacing most of the time. Trying to optimise Industrial and Entertainment district placement because of their regional building effect isn't nearly as important for me as founding near fresh water and multiple amenities. This can off course can be offset by being the suzerain of Toronto, which is just as good as Zanzibar and Bueno Aires.

Five tiles is too close. My cities tend to be really far apart, ten turns walk. It worked fine in every other civ game but it hurts far too much because of production costs in this one.
Which I'm sure is deliberate but it loving sucks. I'm a tall player, I like distant really good cities.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

anybody tried a One City Challenge yet?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Taear posted:

Five tiles is too close. My cities tend to be really far apart, ten turns walk. It worked fine in every other civ game but it hurts far too much because of production costs in this one.
Which I'm sure is deliberate but it loving sucks. I'm a tall player, I like distant really good cities.

i don't know about every other civ game, 3 encourages hyper-precise ring settling at distances based on map size + later ICS and 4 encourages fairly tight spacing (3-4), especially early on, so you can swap high-yield tiles, especially food, between cities

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is there a place in the UI where you can see when your city tiles expand? I find myself just buying tiles a lot of the time since I don't see where this information is, but that gets really pricy.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Decrepus posted:

I'm just joking. No one I have talked to can figure it out exactly, or me even vaguely.

Here's what I have figured out so far: it looks like each tourist attraction (shown on the tourism lens) has a certain tourism output and attracts a new tourist every time it hits a particular threshold (I haven't figured out the threshold yet). Problem: not everything that generates tourism is explicitly stated as such in the UI, as holy sites, holy cities, and wonders all seem to generate tourism as a tourist attraction but don't have a tourism yield listed in the Civilopedia, build menu, etc.. A holy site still seems to generate tourism even if it doesn't have a tourism-generating relic, for example, though this tourism may be influenced by religious tourism penalties (Enlightenment, differing religions). I'm not certain. I don't think religious works of art are subject to this penalty but again I cannot be sure. I'm also not sure if, for example, religious art housed in a Cathedral is an exception to the rule, since I'm pretty sure that's just rolled into the holy site's tourism output.

Domestic tourism seems to be a % of your lifetime culture output. The whole system is pointlessly opaque and really needs to be explained better somewhere in-game.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GrandpaPants posted:

Is there a place in the UI where you can see when your city tiles expand? I find myself just buying tiles a lot of the time since I don't see where this information is, but that gets really pricy.

There is a QoL mod that puts an X on the next city tile expansion.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

A couple of production questions. Do hammers from a completed build overflow into the next item to build? If there's nothing being built and I cut down a forest (say, to make room for a district) does the production boost apply to the next item I choose to build that turn?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Can we get that district cheatsheet thing in the OP? That's really handy.

Also agreeing with the sentiment from the last page that Civ VI's civlopedia is kind of a letdown. It's not good as a game mechanics reference because it lacks a lot of keywords, and it's even worse as light historical reading. Civ V's tone was lighthearted, Civ VI's tone is snarky.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Prav posted:

i don't know about every other civ game, 3 encourages hyper-precise ring settling at distances based on map size + later ICS and 4 encourages fairly tight spacing (3-4), especially early on, so you can swap high-yield tiles, especially food, between cities

I absolutely hated 3 though, it was too random compared to what I'd been used to in SMAC.

And sure the other games sort of encourage it. There's a difference between "My city will grow really well and I can compete on immortal" and "If I don't build this way even on King my stuff will take 11 turns to build". A difference between min/maxing and just being able to play normally.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Olive Branch posted:

A couple of production questions. Do hammers from a completed build overflow into the next item to build? If there's nothing being built and I cut down a forest (say, to make room for a district) does the production boost apply to the next item I choose to build that turn?

Do hammers from a completed build overflow into the next item to build? Yes, same with Research, Civics, and Great People Points.
If there's nothing being built and I cut down a forest does the production boost apply to the next item I choose to build that turn? I don't think so, you need to have something the city is working on otherwise it's wasted, that said production you put into anything, stays intact even if you change production to something else.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Powercrazy posted:

Do hammers from a completed build overflow into the next item to build? Yes, same with Research, Civics, and Great People Points.
If there's nothing being built and I cut down a forest does the production boost apply to the next item I choose to build that turn? I don't think so, you need to have something the city is working on otherwise it's wasted, that said production you put into anything, stays intact even if you change production to something else.

What about if somebody else completes a wonder you were working on?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

prefect posted:

What about if somebody else completes a wonder you were working on?

It's removed from the list of valid buildings, though I guess technically the hammers you put in are still applied to that wonder, you just can't use them, but at least the tile is cleared for you :unsmith:

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Taear posted:

You can EASILY get a bunch of huge cities that are all 5 tiles apart, especially if you start taking advantage of internal trade routes. One internal trade route with appropriate civics can get you as much food as 3 farms. Two rings (out of 3) that are exclusive to one city is 18 tiles, and if you have 6 districts and 6 wonders you'll still have another 6 spots for mines, plantations, farms, etc. It really doesn't make sense that an isolated settlement would be able to turn into a huge metropolis on its own without any synergy from nearby settlements. If a distant spot is too good to turn down I'll go ahead and settle it, but then prioritize filling in the gaps with cities that'll be able to support the outlying ones once they can stand up industrial/entertainment districts themselves.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Powercrazy posted:

It's removed from the list of valid buildings, though I guess technically the hammers you put in are still applied to that wonder, you just can't use them, but at least the tile is cleared for you :unsmith:

There's still a ring of grass-free dirt where Stonehenge was going to go. :(

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Prav posted:

yeah but i don't want to share one district between two cities, i want to share six districts between 6/7 cities

so first i build my grid

then i add some production

and amenities. ok they only cover 5 4/6 cities but it should be plenty

it ain't pretty. note that you can add another ring on top of this for another round of bonuses.

and of course if the terrain makes this impractical just getting a 4-diamond going is still pretty hefty since you get 4x yields from every factory/powerplant + extra district adjecency bonuses

I thought minimum city distance was 4?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A city center must be placed at least three tiles from another city center, and at least two tiles from the border of any foreign city.

EDIT: That wasn't very clear at all, I mean three empty tiles between the centers and two tiles between the center and the border.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 4, 2016

Hef Deezy
Jun 11, 2006

Show no fear. Show no emotion at all.

prefect posted:

There's still a ring of grass-free dirt where Stonehenge was going to go. :(

Someone on reddit said if you use a worker to clear the site of the failed wonder, it'll give you gold or something. Anyone know if that's true? I haven't been beaten to a wonder yet to try it myself.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Powercrazy posted:

A city cannot be placed on a tile that another city can work, which means 3 empty tiles between cities.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Gotcha. I'm going to try a German ICS game tonight. minimum city distance, Hansa and commerical district diamonds and campuses for every city. I imagine after 100 turns I'll be stomping.

quote:

H
 CC
  H

With that configuration both Hansa's will be getting a minimum of a +4 bonus before any other considerations. Add some internal trade routes, and I should be able to grab most of the medieval wonders pretty easily.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 4, 2016

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Powercrazy posted:

three tiles in-between works

i still hosed up though since you can't steal inner-ring tiles like that so you have to skip the middle city, meaning that you have to spend a decent chunk of cash on buying tiles

chaining 4-city diamonds is probably more realistic and practical

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Fryhtaning posted:

You can EASILY get a bunch of huge cities that are all 5 tiles apart, especially if you start taking advantage of internal trade routes. One internal trade route with appropriate civics can get you as much food as 3 farms. Two rings (out of 3) that are exclusive to one city is 18 tiles, and if you have 6 districts and 6 wonders you'll still have another 6 spots for mines, plantations, farms, etc. It really doesn't make sense that an isolated settlement would be able to turn into a huge metropolis on its own without any synergy from nearby settlements. If a distant spot is too good to turn down I'll go ahead and settle it, but then prioritize filling in the gaps with cities that'll be able to support the outlying ones once they can stand up industrial/entertainment districts themselves.

Five is too close. That's what I'm saying. I don't like that, it's cluttered. It reminds me of the AI in SMAC where it'd cover the entire land in hundreds and hundreds of cities.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
Has anyone had a full system crash (screen freezes, computer restarts after a while) while playing Civ 6? Has happened twice now.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Taear posted:

Five is too close. That's what I'm saying. I don't like that, it's cluttered. It reminds me of the AI in SMAC where it'd cover the entire land in hundreds and hundreds of cities.

I wouldn't mind a 4 minimum distance.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I hope they disable the stacking of similar overlapping AoE bonuses. Constantly having in the back of my mind the fact that I am not playing optimally unless I carefully position my cities to suck each other's cocks is going to suck the fun out of this game for me.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Ambivalent posted:

Finish the wonder. The Cask of Admiral Tillado

Haha, yes.
For some reason the most compelling part of civ games for me has been those random boats stuck in lakes and barbs that spawn on a single tile surrounded by ice. I always end up wondering what their lives must be like...

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Do Saka Horse Archer's not upgrade at all?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Rexides posted:

I hope they disable the stacking of similar overlapping AoE bonuses. Constantly having in the back of my mind the fact that I am not playing optimally unless I carefully position my cities to suck each other's cocks is going to suck the fun out of this game for me.
But how else are you going to produce anything at all in less than 50 turns?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Ok so, if you have open borders you can walk a builder into someone elses land and chop down trees and they don't say a thing about it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The biggest improvement that can be made to civ6 is allowing units not at war to occupy the same tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Powercrazy posted:

The biggest improvement that can be made to civ6 is allowing units not at war to occupy the same tiles.

What happens to a big stack of dudes when war is declared?