Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
From listening to Still Buffering, I feel confident in saying Sydnee Smirl McElroy has pretty bad taste in television and film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

greatn posted:

From listening to Still Buffering, I feel confident in saying Sydnee Smirl McElroy has pretty bad taste in television and film.

She's the one who got Justin so deep into Jimmy Buffet, are you surprised?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
But Jimmy Buffet rocks.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/travismcelroy/status/794333304828919808

It's almost Death Blart time! (I never got around to the first episode because I never got around to watching the movie.)

Speaking of, I should also try to get back to Worst Idea. I stopped sometime during Grown Ups 2.

Someone should make a podcast where they listen to the second episode of Death Blart every week for a year.

e: without having heard the first one, or watched the movie.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also, checked up on Worst Idea, and they made the first season exclusive to a podcast subscription service that's 50 bucks a year, noooo thanks.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Do subscription based podcasts make any money? There's just so much good to amazing free content I can't ever imagine paying someone for a podcast. I donate to maxfun but that seems different.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

greatn posted:

Do subscription based podcasts make any money? There's just so much good to amazing free content I can't ever imagine paying someone for a podcast. I donate to maxfun but that seems different.

Half of Chapo Trap House's episodes are behind a paywall, and they pull in 18k a month.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, checked up on Worst Idea, and they made the first season exclusive to a podcast subscription service that's 50 bucks a year, noooo thanks.

Howl.fm is Earwolf network's monetary arm.

Potentially smart money joining with the same subscription that gets you packaged with Maron's entire archive.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

greatn posted:

Her first podcast was about watching Two and a Half Men the season after Charlie Sheen left the show.

They did have to stop it before they died of liver failure, though.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

greatn posted:

Never Not Funny has done pretty well with it, I believe. They used to be almost entirely behind a pay wall, but now they just do a weekly bonus episode plus additional specials/live shows during the season. I don't subscribe, but I think they've built enough of a relationship with their fans that the fans don't mind throwing them $20+ a year for some extra material.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
That has to be the best episode of TAZ ever. Holy poo poo that was amazing!

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Poopy Palpy posted:

Her first podcast was about watching Two and a Half Men the season after Charlie Sheen left the show.

Losing the Sheen was a wonderful experiment in two very pleasant people trying to make sense of a very unpleasant show. (and its web-only spin-off The Talfman Chronicles)

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

greatn posted:

Uhh Yeah Dude pulls in about 8k a month and it's enough for Seth to quit his job managing a dispensary.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Patreon makes a lot of podcasts viable, UYD being a great example. Amazing show that's never had adverts or any monetisation outside of the occasional live show can finally support itself better.

I think Dan Carlin's model works well, too, but it's more akin to selling audiobooks as a bundle than a real subscription.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I hope my podcast is good enough one day that people would feel comfortable giving me money. But my cohost won't talk into the mic, walks off in the middle of recording without warning, and keeps forgetting it's an audio medium saying things like "It looks like this"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Uhh Yeah Dude pulls in about 8k a month and it's enough for Seth to quit his job managing a dispensary.

UYD isn't subscription-based though, it just has a Patreon

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

greatn posted:

I hope my podcast is good enough one day that people would feel comfortable giving me money. But my cohost won't talk into the mic, walks off in the middle of recording without warning, and keeps forgetting it's an audio medium saying things like "It looks like this"

Is your cohost a cat?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

pulp rag posted:

Is your cohost a cat?

A three year old child. A podcast hosted by a cat has potential though.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Asiina posted:

Rose Buddies and/or Sawbones for sure.

THANK YOU (and everyone) for this!! Holy poo poo Sawbones is owning my life right now.

e: I will try harder to get into Adventure Zone, friends.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

flashy_mcflash posted:

THANK YOU (and everyone) for this!! Holy poo poo Sawbones is owning my life right now.

:v::"I'm married to a doctor, so it's almost like I AM a doc--"
:crossarms::"Well..."

I've never listened to Shmanners, but I listen to Sawbones and Rose Buddies, and it feels like the brothers are really well matched by their wives. Almost like they found their Chippettes.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Don't force yourself. You don't need to enjoy the entire McElroy family of products. Just listen to what you like. Chase your bliss and all that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it may be just because I already watch trash like that but Rose Buddies is probably my favorite non-MBMBAM/TAZ McElroy product. Griffin and his wife have juuuust the right blend of genuine enjoyment of the show and utter disdain for the animals it encourages people to be.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

greatn posted:

I've learned from experience that a lot of professionals who have really hectic jobs love watching lovely shows because their entire day is filled with so much brainpower being drained. By the time they get home, they really don't want to dissect a bunch of intricate plots and spend the few free hours they have being bummed out by some drama with pathos.

Personally, I remember during prep for the bar exam that I stopped watching movies and psychological dramas and traded them in for Pokemon and Kitchen Nightmares.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
^^^^
Yep, I lived with a couple of PhD Chemistry students who worked 72+ hour weeks, and all they wanted to watch were reality shows, 30 Rock, and Parks & Rec.

The last 30 minutes of that live TAZ was a hell of a ride, and I'm honestly looking forward to some dadchat because you just know their personalities are going to come out in their parenting styles. Justin is the laid-back dad, personified by Island Boy. Travis is going to be the most comically earnest, emotional dad. Griffin: the absurd, more neurotic dad.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
And they'll all have Cliff for a PowerDad Grandpa Amalgam.

So...this week's episode of Car Boys is among my favorites. Wow. Just a great representation of the series with all the wonderful smashing, serendipity, and good goofs we've come to expect.

On a final note, this week's Adventure Zone was quite cathartic for me as I got to hear the boys call out Travis on his fudge rolls in real time and top it off with the sharpest cider joke anyone's ever heard.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Poopy Palpy posted:

Nope, before that Justin and Sydnee did Satellite Dish which was wonderful and too beautiful for this world.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

"Dude looks like someone who uploads cunnilingus tutorials to YouTube" I loving love Griffin

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Here is a thing

http://www.huntingtonquarterly.com/articles/issue95/mbmbam.php

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

it may be just because I already watch trash like that but Rose Buddies is probably my favorite non-MBMBAM/TAZ McElroy product. Griffin and his wife have juuuust the right blend of genuine enjoyment of the show and utter disdain for the animals it encourages people to be.

My favorite part is the contrast of their love of bachelorette canada and their hatred of chad rod

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Waffleman_ posted:

Fwiw I still seem to be able to download season 1 through Podcast Addict.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I dunno how bullshit this is or not but there's a google doc floating around stating that whatever happened at the end of the latest CGI animated is the start of some ARG that might in fact tie in with the new Overwatch character that is supposed to be announced. Sounds unlikely but its a hilarious "theory" either way, but I don play Overwatch so cannot ascertain how bullshit it is or not.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
The CGI/Monster Factory/Car Boys Facebook group has gone crazy with a bunch of encrypted posts and ARG-Like Shenanigans

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

graventy posted:

Nope, before that Justin and Sydnee did Satellite Dish which was wonderful and too beautiful for this world.

Satellite Dish was after Losing the Sheen.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I dunno how bullshit this is or not but there's a google doc floating around stating that whatever happened at the end of the latest CGI animated is the start of some ARG that might in fact tie in with the new Overwatch character that is supposed to be announced. Sounds unlikely but its a hilarious "theory" either way, but I don play Overwatch so cannot ascertain how bullshit it is or not.

I'm pretty sure Nick just puts in random poo poo to troll people. The "haunted" video call Car Boys ep got popular on Tumblr and caused people to accuse them of shilling for the Blair Witch movie which made absolutely no sense but there's still idiots out there looking to poo poo on Polygon any chance they get.

Rainbow Tapir
Aug 19, 2010

Scudworth posted:

Believe me if you don't like d&d or RPGs in general at all, no amount of those good good boys can make it listenable.

To be fair, this was exactly the position I was in before listening to the Adventure Zone (not liking D&D or RPGs in general at all but enjoying other McElroy works), and I decided to give it a try and found it extremely listenable, and it actually made me start to like D&D and decide to join a group.

Not saying that'll happen to everyone (and not saying anyone is wrong for not enjoying it! I'm not about to try to convince people to listen to something that they know they won't like), but it's definitely not impossible :)

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

purple death ray posted:

It was Bruce Almighty, and I don't know which episode. Had something to do with the supermoon I think since the moon being bigger is what reminded her of the movie.

Evan Almighty is the most expensive comedy ever made with a budget of $140 million. Let that sink in for a moment.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Literally every single one of the 0's and 1's that make up the internet is its own discrete clue for Sombra.

Rainbow Tapir posted:

To be fair, this was exactly the position I was in before listening to the Adventure Zone (not liking D&D or RPGs in general at all but enjoying other McElroy works), and I decided to give it a try and found it extremely listenable, and it actually made me start to like D&D and decide to join a group.

Not saying that'll happen to everyone (and not saying anyone is wrong for not enjoying it! I'm not about to try to convince people to listen to something that they know they won't like), but it's definitely not impossible :)

I'm super into RPGs and have played various tabletop games for years and years and years, and The Adventure Zone is the only D&D podcast or that I can actually listen to a whole episode of. I don't know how strong of a relation there is between "liking D&D" and "liking D&D podcasts."

Hell, I mostly like TAZ because it's barely a D&D podcast. If they ditched the what little attention they still pay to the rules and just became Hello From the Magic Tavern 2, I'd be completely behind that decision.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Deport The Irish posted:

Literally every single one of the 0's and 1's that make up the internet is its own discrete clue for Sombra.

I'm super into RPGs and have played various tabletop games for years and years and years, and The Adventure Zone is the only D&D podcast or that I can actually listen to a whole episode of. I don't know how strong of a relation there is between "liking D&D" and "liking D&D podcasts."

Hell, I mostly like TAZ because it's barely a D&D podcast. If they ditched the what little attention they still pay to the rules and just became Hello From the Magic Tavern 2, I'd be completely behind that decision.

I like the dice being there for some degree of randomness to the results. We're due for some fun critical fails and hits.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

kmzh posted:

Satellite Dish was after Losing the Sheen.

I'll be damned. Had them completely backwards in my head.

Both are great and I wish Satellite Dish had continued.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I like the dice being there for some degree of randomness to the results. We're due for some fun critical fails and hits.

Which will never happen in the main story unless it's a goof or clear that nothing bad will happen from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Democratic Pirate posted:

Which will never happen in the main story unless it's a goof or clear that nothing bad will happen from it

Yeah I also wish they'd fudge less, it robs the story of all tension. Even Goku sometimes loses to make the story more hype