Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

tic tac toe is a story about existential dread on the human condition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

more like EA shuts down GOG because it's competition and moves Witcher series to Origin

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Snak posted:

Mariokart certain has a premise. The premise is "the characters from Mario games race each other".

Tic Tac Toe has no premise.
i don't appreciate this erasure of the tensions between X and O

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Quest For Glory II posted:

more like EA shuts down GOG because it's competition and moves Witcher series to Origin

:stonk:

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

dead space 0 the prequel is set to take place in the early origin office space aka the true face of horror

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The idea of yearly sequels is so funny to me because it's such short term thinking. Like it will obviously burn out your fanbase in a handful of years and it's something that will eventually kill the series but the idea of making a poo poo ton of money every like three years rather than making less and less money every year until the thing is dead is inconceivable to the likes of EA and Activision.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Then cyberpunk comes out and its a garbage mass effect rip off, sells poorly, and they close the studio.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
On that note, I also find it really funny that Ubi is apparently really confused that the number for WatchDogs2 preorders are so low meaning they completely did notice the thing where literally everyone was disappointed with the last game after an incredible amount of hype.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

oddium posted:

ea releases a witcher every year but the only thing that changes is the roster... shake my head at the people buying these. also it has a um. dynasty mode?? is that a thing

The Witcher 4: A Spike Lee Joint

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ubisoft's best IP is Rayman and Michel Ancel if you read the thread please make another

Rayman 1/Origins/Legends are so good (I loved 2/3 as well but idk if they've aged well)

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Tic Tac Toe is just a more abstract version of Mega Man X.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

glam rock hamhock posted:

On that note, I also find it really funny that Ubi is apparently really confused that the number for WatchDogs2 preorders are so low meaning they completely did notice the thing where literally everyone was disappointed with the last game after an incredible amount of hype.

Lol. The actual gameplay is going to have to sell itself on word of mouth alone. I've noticed a lot less advertising about Watch Dogs 2 however.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The only thing I know about Watch Dogs 2 is that it has a protagonist who is I guess a minority? I think I read that. And there's drones.

edit: And that it's gonna fuckin suck, but I have Watch Dogs 1 to back me up on that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Watch_Dogs 1 was pure garbage. I have no expectations for W_D2. But on the off chance it's magically the Asscreed game we've been waiting for, that would be cool. It has a new parkour system that W_D1 didn't have...

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

CJacobs posted:

The only thing I know about Watch Dogs 2 is that it has a protagonist who is I guess a minority? I think I read that. And there's drones.

edit: And that it's gonna fuckin suck, but I have Watch Dogs 1 to back me up on that.

a lot of ppl are saying watchdogs 2 is better than the first but that's not saying much

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ppl just assume WD2 will be better because AC2 was better than AC1, except WD had no idea what it wanted to be and i havent gotten any impression from WD2 that anything's changed, it just has a lighter tone now

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

watchdogs 2 is going to be so bad ahahahha

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

glam rock hamhock posted:

Didn't it sell alright though? I thought I read it did fine and that's why we were all dreading the series continuing as idiots continue to buy it

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ostentatious posted:

a lot of ppl are saying watchdogs 2 is better than the first but that's not saying much

It would be pretty impressive if it was worse. That's a really low bar.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

nice, humble monthly has kathy rain this month

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
WD1 was a mess of two entirely different game designs being shoved together which is really bad game design, and WD2 looks like they're sticking to it.

They should really make a GTA clone OR make a hacking game, not both.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

CrashCat posted:

Didn't it sell alright though? I thought I read it did fine and that's why we were all dreading the series continuing as idiots continue to buy it

iirc it sold well based largely on pre-orders. People loved it when it was just an e3 demo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MMF Freeway posted:

iirc it sold well based largely on pre-orders. People loved it when it was just an e3 demo

That's because the E3 demo looked and acted almost nothing like how the game ended up looking and acting.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
And honestly, it could have been fun, if it didn't commit the single biggest sin that an open-world urban game can: have complete poo poo driving. There's loads of things wrong with the game, but the driving actively sucking and making me hate having to go anywhere in the game kind of trumps any misguided fun I could have with the rest of the game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CrashCat posted:

yeah it did, and also theyve invested a bunch of money into the engine so a sequel should be cheaper to dev

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CJacobs posted:

That's because the E3 demo looked and acted almost nothing like how the game ended up looking and acting.
the only company that doesnt bullshit at E3 is Nintendo and everyone trashes on them for it because they just have people in chairs play the games all day instead of be on a stage showing fake scripted poo poo

i was ready for WD1 to be a disappointment when that Aisha Tyler footage appeared where the game looked massively downscaled

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

the only company that doesnt bullshit at E3 is Nintendo and everyone trashes on them for it because they just have people in chairs play the games all day instead of be on a stage showing fake scripted poo poo

I love nintendo

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

tom clancy's druglord shooter was real, believe it ...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
How long after his death do you think the Tom Clancy brand is going to persist?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, it sold well because it was hyped to hell and back and people thought it was gonna be the first "real" next gen open world game. Then everyone was disappointed. Like I can see them being confused that WD2 isn't preordering well if they only paid attention to how much money it made and not any of the reaction to it and sadly that is very likely what happened. This one has been hyped as being much better but I also don't think anyone that preordered the last one is going to loving trust that hype on bit, thus the piss poor preorders.

It's funny because this has happened before. FFXIII was the best selling FF game ever for Square because of all the hype but it was also a game most found to be massively disappointing. Still Square only saw that they sold a ton and made two sequels to it that were better but were almost universally ignored.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Snak posted:

For all I know Sid Meier died years ago so I'd say at least a decade or two.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Snak posted:

the kfc colonel has been dead for years and now they just have people dress as him

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

instead of be on a stage showing fake scripted poo poo

I loving hate Ubisoft's stupid rear end scripted players talking to each other VO poo poo.

NOBODY loving WHISPERS when chatting with someone in a loving game.

edit: I'm just cranky right now, so excuse the sorta bad mood.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

oddium posted:

the kfc colonel has been dead for years and now they just have people dress as him

yeah, but he's basically a mascot, in a way that Tom Clancy isn't.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Shindragon posted:

I loving hate Ubisoft's stupid rear end scripted players talking to each other VO poo poo.

NOBODY loving WHISPERS when chatting with someone in a loving game.

edit: I'm just cranky right now, so excuse the sorta bad mood.
i love Ubisofts E3s for how bad they are and i know exactly what youre talking about. its so forced and phony, like the "real people" in those Chevy ads

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Snak posted:

yeah, but he's basically a mascot, in a way that Tom Clancy isn't.

the man loved video games

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The fake-rear end voice chat in that rainbow six or the division or whatever preview was hilarious. So cringey and terrible.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
"(Real Players, not actors)"

"Today we're doing to show you a new game. But we're only going to show you half of it."

"It's the mullet of games"

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

i love Ubisofts E3s for how bad they are and i know exactly what youre talking about. its so forced and phony, like the "real people" in those Chevy ads

I hate those Chevy ads so loving much.

On that note, another thing not helping WD2 is one of the ads I keep getting on youtube shows a bunch of horrible streamers acting overly excited and it just makes me want to never buy an Ubi product ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Wait, found it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgMq8p7e_Z8

• Locked thread