Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Skarsnik posted:

Lol if you're not fine tuning every cpu and megabyte of your memory to optimum value as recommended by a 13 year old

Everything works!

Except the camera

and wifi

Better yet, you tell me what doesn't work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Cannot make calls and Wifi use currently limited but a daily driver for sure

As mentioned, most of us are mocking that dumb poo poo as we've all been down that rabbit hole before

Its 2016 and its still as poo poo a scene as it always was

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 4, 2016

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

nimper posted:

Everything works!

Except the camera

and wifi

Better yet, you tell me what doesn't work!

Well I mean the wifi works if you enable developer mode and then turn off USB debugging but turn on automatic updates (but turn off automatic updates when you’re done as an official update will brick your phone)

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

People who want their phone to work reliably, don't use CyanogenMod anymore. Not even phones that came out with it. (OnePlus lol)

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

DirtyUnicorn or nothing

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cage-free egghead posted:

Email or banking. Doubt people are using throwaway emails on their smartphone.

People are banking on their smartphones? This seems like a genuinely bad idea.

Internet Explorer posted:

This is dumb and you should feel bad for saying it. Actually, your whole argument is dumb and you should probably quit while you're behind.

No you're dumb. Stop being dumb, dummy.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

lol

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

You realize that in most cases all someone needs is access to your email to reset your banking password, right? Are you really this dense? Or is using email on your phone a 'genuinely bad idea' too?

Please just stop.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

"Using your phone for anything other than children's games and browsing SA is a bad idea" -a child

Did you buy one of those Sony Xperia Play phones? Be honest.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
lol if you even have an email and use a bank instead of keeping all your wealth in cash

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

browsing SA is a bad idea

FTFY.

I noticed that Motorola is now owned by Lenovo. Are they still fairly independent? I don't really trust Lenovo after they were caught putting three kinds of malware on their computers within a month. Or am I being paranoid?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

No you're dumb. Stop being dumb, dummy.

Are you 12, do you have autism, or are you trolling? This is a serious question. Because most people understand that phones are an integral part of your daily life and the information contained within them is significant.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So are people actually stringent about software security or not?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

So are people actually stringent about software security or not?
Yeah but we buy good phones.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Arguably, a properly designed app is safer than logging in through a browsers. And phones tend to be less likely to have malware on them than desktops.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

"Stringent?" No, the average person has no concept of software let alone software security.

That doesn't mean you do really dumb poo poo like flash some random XDA ROM.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Yeah but we buy good phones.

Uthor posted:

Arguably, a properly designed app is safer than logging in through a browsers. And phones tend to be less likely to have malware on them than desktops.

And you have no control over the embedded systems or software in the phone. You either go full Stallman or don't.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

FTFY.

I noticed that Motorola is now owned by Lenovo. Are they still fairly independent? I don't really trust Lenovo after they were caught putting three kinds of malware on their computers within a month. Or am I being paranoid?

Lenovo has cracked the bones and sucked out the marrow of Motorola.

The G series still seems like a decent "cheap disposal phone" choice. Lenovo has ruined everything else.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

And you have no control over the embedded systems or software in the phone. You either go full Stallman or don't.

Ah, okay. So it's autism. Yes, the world is black and white. There is no gray.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I am literally the worst person in this thread.

I completely agree with you.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
My bank and I assume most other banks in my country (Canada) are heavily pushing self-service which includes the use of a banking app. :shrug:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ah, okay. So it's autism. Yes, the world is black and white. There is no gray.

In regards to system security? Yes, yes it is.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

No, no it's not. God drat how stupid can you be?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I need to roll back a page.

Are people actually overclocking their phones?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Bomb proof box arrived as well as a Pixel case.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wait, do you think cybersecurity is "black and white"? Is that actually what you're saying? You should go post that in the infosec thread in SH/SC.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wait, do you think cybersecurity is "black and white"? Is that actually what you're saying? You should go post that in the infosec thread in SH/SC.

Please don't recommend he/she post in any additional threads, thanks.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
True security is being able to control your phone's clock speed

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

bull3964 posted:

Lenovo has cracked the bones and sucked out the marrow of Motorola.

The G series still seems like a decent "cheap disposal phone" choice. Lenovo has ruined everything else.

The Z series looks kind of decent too, but with how Lenovo has dropped the ball on supporting software on any other Motorola phone I still wouldn't buy it. I mean, I shattered my S7 Edge, so I picked up my MXP for a backup and the newest security update is still May. They don't give a poo poo about supporting phones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is Lenovo still making Lenovo-branded phones?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Endless Mike posted:

Is Lenovo still making Lenovo-branded phones?

Yes.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Please don't recommend he/she post in any additional threads, thanks.

This.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Your posts are wrong. Stop doubling down on your wrongness.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Though, possibly not soon.

https://www.google.com/amp/phoneradar.com/lenovo-integrate-smartphone-section-moto-brand/amp/

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I know nothing about the Home. How do you activate it? Tell me it's not "okay google". I already accidentally trigger my phone every time I try to talk to my watch.

Taffer posted:

They fixed that with the Home, allegedly. Any other devices nearby won't respond if the Home picks you up.

Which apparently can be a problem. http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/11/google-home-review-a-step-forward-for-hotwords-a-step-backward-in-capability/

Yep, with the Home on no amount of yelling "OK Google" from anyone triggered anything but the Home.

The only "issue" I've noticed so far is that when I left to go to work and fired up Google Play music, it (not immediately, even) killed the Play Music stream that was going on the Home. I probably just need to upgrade to a family plan and perhaps pair the Home to a different Google account instead of mine.

Thermopyle posted:

Your posts are wrong. Stop doubling down on your wrongness.

If you don't personally scrub every line of code in your phone's firmware and hardware, you might as well just set your passwords to 1234. Obviously.

Edit, from the Ars link:

quote:

This is very much a "public" multi-user device, but it only supports one Google account. A checkbox lets you disable private data exposure, but it seems like we're going to need some other solution for this.

I'm half tempted to work around this slightly by making a "family" Google account.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 4, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
5.0 was my favorite, but I get the design change for 6.0

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I miss the headphones icon for the music app from 5.0, but I'm irrationally really really angry about the white circle design in 7.0. Everything else about this works, but those app icons are the worst.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Moey posted:

Doritos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Moey posted:

6.0 was the sweet spot for my likings, but yeah I get the change to round poo poo.