Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I need to exercise more at all and drink less, but long work hours make that difficult (which I know is not a good excuse). The upshot at least is that I'm not overweight so I'm at less health risk, but 140 is still not really a good weight for a 30 year old 6' tall guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Mr. Brontosaurus is the same way, 6'5 and finding it vastly preferable to build muscle with cheese fries than stop eating them.

So many wasted years spent being a skeletronic Slenderman, eating nothing, lifting nothing. Never again.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

your poor metabolism :ohdear:

Nah it owns

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

FactsAreUseless posted:

Just count calories. It makes a huge difference. Find out your maintenance based on your age and gender, and eat 400-500 fewer calories a day. Then you can continue to eat foods you enjoy, and you'll naturally bulk that up with vegetables and other low-calorie options to avoid being hungry.

Does calorie density actually matter to anyone? A can of sardines is tiny in volume, but if you eat it you will be full for hours. Like seriously, eat a can of King Oscar's at 8 in the morning you will not be hungry for lunch until well after noon. It's 240 calories. Satiety does not come from food volume. That's a silly way to attempt to achieve it.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Pitchfork (the only evidence you'll ever need that real hipsters are now old af) likes the kind of rap white people find validating.

sorry but lil wayne is objectively bad

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Learning to give a poo poo about your physical health pays dividends.

Just take it from me: I've gone from 220 lbs this April to 160 lbs today and I feel so much more amazing and healthier/stronger than I ever have in my entire life literally day-to-day, moment-to-moment. :smug:

There's basically nothing more effective for ROI on time and effort than getting in shape and healthy. You can't put a price on that.

I cannot recommend it enough, and I used to be a quiz bowl-competing turbonerd who flinched at the very mention of 'working out' in high school and college.

When I'm in good mental shape I do genuinely feel better for a while working out and eating better (if not well, at least less junky)

Then progress stops and/or the sadbrains roll in and I inevitably lose the will to do anything health-wise other than eat whatever's easiest, which is usually the proverbial mtn dew and cheetos, so I'm 300# at just about 32 years old with no sign and little if any hope of future improvement

It's a frustrating cycle, that

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

FactsAreUseless posted:

Just count calories. It makes a huge difference. Find out your maintenance based on your age and gender, and eat 400-500 fewer calories a day. Then you can continue to eat foods you enjoy, and you'll naturally bulk that up with vegetables and other low-calorie options to avoid being hungry.

myfitnesspal is loving amazing for this.

Like seriously, put this on your phone and start logging your food fattie.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mr. Belding posted:

Actually this is a rare broken clock case. I think we should charge for access to our markets. I realize that this will probably mean people have to pay $10 for a spatula instead of $3, and likely hurt the standard of living in some developing nations a bit, but I don't think we should sacrifice the American standard of living to bring up the rest of the world (and to the benefit of capitalists). There are better solutions, and as long as our market is the hottest poo poo, which it still is, we should not be giving it away for free. Certainly not to the billionaires who need it least.

Er, are you really not aware that there's tons of tariffs and taxes on imports and exports with America already? We've never had any agreements with the People's Republic of China to reduce tariffs, for instance. And we also have the full scale tariffs and so on with most of the various cheap labor nations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

CascadeBeta posted:

I've been trying that since college I have the pallette of an 11 year old so it's hard for me to eat healthy and also enjoy it. :smith:

What has been working for me for the last year or so is 50/20/30 and under 2500

Don't worry so much about every food, just try to have a balance of 50% carbs/20% fats/30% protein

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

seems like the right found #RomneyDeathRally inspirational instead of funny

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

sincx posted:

Is Pennsylvania at +4 Hillary a cause for concern? Shouldn't she be leading there by a lot more?

No, 4-6% is about where it should be. Thats why the GOP is Charlie Brown, the Dems are Lucy, and PA is the football. Every election they think its finally their year to take PA, and every election they miss and fall on their rear end.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I'm pretty confused by the thought process that leads to this still happening:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2016/11/03/law-professor-placed-on-leave-after-wearing-blackface-to-a-party/

quote:

A University of Oregon law professor was placed on administrative leave Thursday after wearing a costume that included blackface to a Halloween party attended by faculty and students.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Need to lose weight? Here's a quick tip, only eat tubs of lard.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

So many wasted years spent being a skeletronic Slenderman, eating nothing, lifting nothing. Never again.

Same. I started seriously power lifting earlier this year and have been shedding pounds despite my body fat% going down.

Muscle is the ultimate calorie burner

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Belding posted:

Does calorie density actually matter to anyone? A can of sardines is tiny in volume, but if you eat it you will be full for hours. Like seriously, eat a can of King Oscar's at 8 in the morning you will not be hungry for lunch until well after noon. It's 240 calories. Satiety does not come from food volume. That's a silly way to attempt to achieve it.
Whatever works best for you. Eating more vegetables helped me a lot, because I found calorie-dense foods left me hungry. I'm also Type 1, so it's not like my body responds normally to food anyway. That's just the method I liked. I mostly eat a lot of chicken.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Have you tried "tricking" yourself into eating healthier foods? Not trying to be insulting at all, but if your issue is having a child's palette or mental hang-ups about food then try approaching yourself as you would a fussy child.

Like, try looking up some Gordon Ramsay cooking demos on YouTube. I don't know how he does it, but he somehow makes raw broccoli into something loving delicious and mouth-watering. :swoon:
Roast your veggies. Its that easy. Roasted anything tastes awesome.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Need to lose weight? Here's a quick tip, only eat tubs of lard.

I too am on the Keto diet.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

A Winner is Jew posted:

myfitnesspal is loving amazing for this.

Like seriously, put this on your phone and start logging your food fattie.

Rather hilariously I can track how effective MFP is by looking at the gaps when I wasn't using the program. Every period where I'm actually logging has a steady downward trend, but every data gap (from lack of logging) is followed by a huge upward jump in my weight, often eliminating months of work.

Thankfully I'm on a 280 logging streak now though, even if my weight loss has stalled.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CascadeBeta posted:

I've been trying that since college I have the pallette of an 11 year old so it's hard for me to eat healthy and also enjoy it. :smith:
This was also a Mr. Brontosaurus (Tiny Husband?) problem and I have so many strategies. I would suggest starting out thinking in an additive way about your diet rather than subtractive. Add more vegetables, try to work your way up to at least five or six that you can stand. Mr. B had big success with spinach/yogurt smoothies, sliced bell peppers, leafy greens, and zucchini/yellow squash/eggplant minced up really fine in rice and pasta dishes.

JVNO posted:

My perspective on this kind of interaction is coloured more by addressing homophobia/transphobia than specific race issues, so your mileage may vary. I come from an extremely homogenous white province (Newfoundland - probably 98%+ white?) so I really wasn't privy to racial tensions growing up.

Ah yeah that's probably it. For all the truth of intersectionality the different bigotries are materially different in some ways. Newfoundland will forever be in my good books for this though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I am on a seafood diet

I see food and I sit down and contemplate the effect it will have on my health versus the temporary benefits the satisfaction of eating it will get me and I debate the merits of both sides before coming to a decision

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Belding posted:

Satiety signalling and ghrelin/leptin/insulin signalling and all that good poo poo is really multifactorial. You're right that caloric density is a part of it, but distension of the stomach and intestines actually does cause hormonal feedback signalling fullness.

If caloric density was the whole story, people would take one sip from the Big Gulp of Mountain Dew and be like "yeah I'm done now".

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm shocked that apparently Bret Baier retracted his 'FBI about to indict Hillary' story live on air earlier.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

USPOL Nov: Much Ado About Nothingburgers

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Same. I started seriously power lifting earlier this year and have been shedding pounds despite my body fat% going down.

And it has the added bonus of burning calories even while sitting around doing nothing, unlike fat.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I was all excited for a Thai Surf Rock derail and we ended up having a diet derail instead. :shrug:

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

chumbler posted:

I need to exercise more at all and drink less, but long work hours make that difficult (which I know is not a good excuse). The upshot at least is that I'm not overweight so I'm at less health risk, but 140 is still not really a good weight for a 30 year old 6' tall guy.

If you mean 140 lbs, I'm in my early 20s, 5' 10", and 205 lbs. I need to be better about my health too. 140 lbs is where I WISH I could be, frankly.

If you mean kgs, then... yeah, I guess I agree with you?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Oracle posted:

Roast your veggies. Its that easy. Roasted anything tastes awesome.

Roasted asparagus is one of the greatest things in this world.

Inglonias posted:

If you mean 140 lbs, I'm in my early 20s, 5' 10", and 205 lbs. I need to be better about my health too. 140 lbs is where I WISH I could be, frankly.

Pounds, and it's not great because I have little muscle mass and get cold easily. I've been here +/- 10 or so pounds since my late teens.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 4, 2016

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Mr. Belding posted:

You don't know the pain of being a former fatty, the messed up appetite never really goes away, you just learn to manage it. I would probably have to eat literally like 25 cans of sardines to be full but I wouldn't because that sounds gross.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

lol, from another source

quote:

Witnesses who saw the professor say she was dressed as "Black Man in a White Coat: A Doctor's Reflections on Race and Medicine," a recent autobiography by Dr. Damon Tweedy that recounts the racism he encountered in medical school.

How, HOW does a person read a book about racist experiences of the author, and then decide NOT ONLY to do a weird esoteric costume based on it but to do blackface. how

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

I was all excited for a Thai Surf Rock derail and we ended up having a diet derail instead. :smith:
One third fewer calories than a standard derail!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

CascadeBeta posted:

Chicken Tenders are delicious, cheap, enjoyable to an 11 year old, and high in protein.

Look for Turkey and Chicken versions of junk food. Turkey burgers, Chicken Sausages, etc.

You can be totally healthy and never eat veggies. Take a multivitamin and calorie count with filling food that you enjoy.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
oh hey while everyone's busy with this stupid election two christie aides were just found guilty on all counts for bridgegate and could face decades in the clink

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/11/04/500678435/2-former-allies-of-chris-christie-found-guilty-on-all-counts-in-bridgegate-trial

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The best part about being faculty at a Uni is that I can use the faculty gym.

Nothing makes you feel strong like doing bench presses in a room full of 60 year old engineers walking on the treadmill in work clothes

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

This was also a Mr. Brontosaurus (Tiny Husband?) problem and I have so many strategies. I would suggest starting out thinking in an additive way about your diet rather than subtractive. Add more vegetables, try to work your way up to at least five or six that you can stand. Mr. B had big success with spinach/yogurt smoothies, sliced bell peppers, leafy greens, and zucchini/yellow squash/eggplant minced up really fine in rice and pasta dishes.

Definitely "Tiny Husband". Especially as he seems to have the dietary requirements of a toddler

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Just finished voting in GA. It couldn't have taken longer than ten minutes. Shortest wait to vote ever. Hillary doesn't exactly inspire my neighbors to come out and vote the way Obama does.

Also, Jill Stein wasn't even on the ballot. :lol:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That's why all the lumberjacks and manual laborers in areas with big logging industries in the past were swole as gently caress eating shitloads of eggs and buttered pancakes and bacon and why all the people there now are obese with crippling diabetes because the industry left once the trees got cut down but the local diet did not change with the times.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I've kept to a sensible and inexpensive vegetarian diet and added a soy protein shake before bed and now I can shred cheese on my stomach

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Inglonias posted:

140? At 5'10"? You'd be a skeleton (assuming you're male). Aim for like 160-170 and make it muscle.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mr. Belding posted:

Satiety is very complicated, like everything related to food and metabolism, but seems to mostly come from fat/protein content and food weight, rather than volume. Water and soup can help a crazy amount with satiety issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Chicken Tenders are delicious, cheap, enjoyable to an 11 year old, and high in protein.

also redeemable for good boy points

• Locked thread