Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
h_double
Jul 27, 2001
A few weeks ago I realized my Vita was still at the hackable 3.60 firmware and so I installed a bunch of emulators on it, definitely rekindling my interest in the device.

SNES emulation isn't quite full speed but its fine for RPGs and I have been enjoying replaying FF5. I'm also really excited about Lynx emulation on the Vita, since Lynx was the first handheld I ever played, there are a handful of good games on there (Lynx is still the best version of Chip's Challenge) and everything looks SO GOOD on the 1st gen Vita's OLED screen. Also looking forward to installing a NGPC emu for some Card Fighter on the go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

mvs carts are pretty cheap when you consider what other popular arcade games go for (apart from a few carts which are as out there as anything else, the vast majority are "reasonable")

also here's a limited edition waifu wearing a taito station uniform i just somehow won in two plays on a UFO catcher. i have no idea what "blue mermaid high school fleet" is. i wonder how many anime figurines the securrity people at narita see in x-rays every day

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Drone posted:

At that point, why not just spend 35 bucks on a Raspberry Pi? I mean, surely some of the appeal of the hobby of collecting retro games (not playing them) is that you have a collection that is genuine. Assuming you want to just play the games and don't really care about the collecting aspect of it, then a 138-in-1 or an emulation setup would be fine. If the goal is to actually collect them, a flashcart seems to defeat the purpose.

Some people like the hardware, some people like collecting the software. There's good reasons for both approaches and to just do what you like.

univbee posted:

And as an aside; Money Idol Exchanger is an odd duck for me as my first experience with the game was on a really early version of MAME (like 0.36 or something) where the console lag wasn't replicated, which made the game play really intensely and was awesome that way, something which the original hardware doesn't "replicate" since it slows down.

I like Money Idol Exchanger better than Magical Drop.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

d0s posted:

mvs carts are pretty cheap when you consider what other popular arcade games go for (apart from a few carts which are as out there as anything else, the vast majority are "reasonable")

also here's a limited edition waifu wearing a taito station uniform i just somehow won in two plays on a UFO catcher. i have no idea what "blue mermaid high school fleet" is. i wonder how many anime figurines the securrity people at narita see in x-rays every day

Probably that boatfucker game

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Drone posted:

At that point, why not just spend 35 bucks on a Raspberry Pi? I mean, surely some of the appeal of the hobby of collecting retro games (not playing them) is that you have a collection that is genuine. Assuming you want to just play the games and don't really care about the collecting aspect of it, then a 138-in-1 or an emulation setup would be fine. If the goal is to actually collect them, a flashcart seems to defeat the purpose.

there's a big difference between playing games on an emulator and playing on real hardware. lots of people who don't give a poo poo about hoarding crap still want to play the games properly and flash carts/multicarts are a great way to do that since collectors have driven up prices on the real thing to insane levels in a lot of cases

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

also re mvs carts if you're going by ebay prices you're seeing a very distorted/inflated picture of that market. use the buy/sell forum on the neo geo forum for a better idea, it's typically a lot cheaper there

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

d0s posted:

i have no idea what "blue mermaid high school fleet" is.

Some anime/mango about high school girls who go to high school. EXCEPT ON A BOAT! Other than that I think it's just one of those "slice of life" shows.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

h_double posted:

A few weeks ago I realized my Vita was still at the hackable 3.60 firmware and so I installed a bunch of emulators on it, definitely rekindling my interest in the device.

SNES emulation isn't quite full speed but its fine for RPGs and I have been enjoying replaying FF5. I'm also really excited about Lynx emulation on the Vita, since Lynx was the first handheld I ever played, there are a handful of good games on there (Lynx is still the best version of Chip's Challenge) and everything looks SO GOOD on the 1st gen Vita's OLED screen. Also looking forward to installing a NGPC emu for some Card Fighter on the go.

What emulator are you running? The last one I used wouldn't load the save files after a while. I could transfer it to my computer and recognize it just fine but even when the path was correct the emulator refused to see it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

al-azad posted:

What emulator are you running? The last one I used wouldn't load the save files after a while. I could transfer it to my computer and recognize it just fine but even when the path was correct the emulator refused to see it.

That's actually a bug in the hacked vita, it forgets how to use the memory card sometimes after waking up from sleep.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

That's actually a bug in the hacked vita, it forgets how to use the memory card sometimes after waking up from sleep.

Is there a known fix? I hard booted the Vita which means you have to re-install Henkaku. Maybe I did a fresh install of the emulator but probably not, I was done with it after a while.

I blamed it on my Secret of Mana curse. I will never beat that game from start to end and every attempt has been foiled by batteries dying, technical issues, and at one point an actual fire.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

d0s posted:

there's a big difference between playing games on an emulator and playing on real hardware. lots of people who don't give a poo poo about hoarding crap still want to play the games properly and flash carts/multicarts are a great way to do that since collectors have driven up prices on the real thing to insane levels in a lot of cases

And not for nothing, but there isn't an authentic NG emulator in existence. They all run the games pretty well and look OK, but none of them and I mean none of them sound like a real Neo Geo and most of them don't even really look like one that much either. There's something about how all the NG emulators draw the edges of sprites that just doesn't look quite right, the sprite transparency and blur effects are usually wrong and the speeds never quite line up with actual hardware (especially in Metal Slug).

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

al-azad posted:

Is there a known fix? I hard booted the Vita which means you have to re-install Henkaku. Maybe I did a fresh install of the emulator but probably not, I was done with it after a while.

I blamed it on my Secret of Mana curse. I will never beat that game from start to end and every attempt has been foiled by batteries dying, technical issues, and at one point an actual fire.

Nope, but all you have to do is relaunch your program to fix it usually

If you mean the saves flat out wouldn't work ever, then i don't actually know what's up with that, maybe try one of the other two SNES emulators.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

I AM THE TOILET posted:

Wii succeeded because it had a gimmick. A truly unique gimmick (for its time). Switch has no real gimmick. Switch will see a similar lifecycle to Wii U - handful of decent exclusives, nothing that'll set the world on fire. Diehards and fanboys will be there day one, buying up they Zelda game; most likely playing it yet again after grinding it on they laboring Wii U.

Nintendo will persist after Switch. However much longer is up to debate.

The Switch has a real gimmick, hell it has too many, just like the Wii U.

That's kind of the problem, when you're entirely relying on gimmicks to sell, the gimmicks need to be good ones. And remember even the Wii's gimmick only lasted it like 3 or 4 years of big sales before people got tired of it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

fishmech posted:

The Switch has a real gimmick, hell it has too many, just like the Wii U.

That's kind of the problem, when you're entirely relying on gimmicks to sell, the gimmicks need to be good ones. And remember even the Wii's gimmick only lasted it like 3 or 4 years of big sales before people got tired of it.

Eh, they'd just be worse off without the gimmick. It'd be the same but without the rush. And The Wii and WiiU still had good games outside of the gimmicks, although mostly just first party Nintendo games.

If you're a hardcore gamer and all you care about is hardcore games, the Nintendo consoles are never going to top Sony/MS consoles ever again. That's just the reality of it. If that's what you want, stick with PS4.

But for lots of people who aren't hardcore gamers Nintendo consoles are still very very attractive, and the gimmicks help get them excited about it being different more than just "the latest graphics" do.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

El Estrago Bonito posted:

And not for nothing, but there isn't an authentic NG emulator in existence. They all run the games pretty well and look OK, but none of them and I mean none of them sound like a real Neo Geo and most of them don't even really look like one that much either. There's something about how all the NG emulators draw the edges of sprites that just doesn't look quite right, the sprite transparency and blur effects are usually wrong and the speeds never quite line up with actual hardware (especially in Metal Slug).

if you've only ever played N-G (or honestly a lot of arcade stuff from around that time) on emulators and then play it on a cab with the volume turned up loud and a good well maintained screen, the difference is really amazing and I think that's part of really "getting" arcade gaming in general. it's supposed to be this really slick, intense thing and it never really comes close to that in emulation, and yeah a big part of it is the sound. hearing it coming right off the synthesizer on the board right to speakers is really hard to reproduce

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zaphod42 posted:

But for lots of people who aren't hardcore gamers Nintendo consoles are still very very attractive, and the gimmicks help get them excited about it being different more than just "the latest graphics" do.

Lol no, that's precisely why the Wii U is completely dead in less than 4 years on the market. They tried to go all in on gimmicks by releasing a console that was otherwise already 7 years old the day it launched.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

fishmech posted:

Lol no, that's precisely why the Wii U is completely dead in less than 4 years on the market. They tried to go all in on gimmicks by releasing a console that was otherwise already 7 years old the day it launched.

TBF the Wii U had some of the worst marketing I've ever seen a console have. They really dropped the ball hard. I'm hopeful for the Switch, mostly because I like handheld gaming though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Improbable Lobster posted:

TBF the Wii U had some of the worst marketing I've ever seen a console have. They really dropped the ball hard. I'm hopeful for the Switch, mostly because I like handheld gaming though.

All the marketing in the world can't save a bad concept, executed poorly.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

fishmech posted:

All the marketing in the world can't save a bad concept, executed poorly.

And yet here we are days away from a US presidential election...

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

And yet here we are days away from a US presidential election...

heyooooooooooooooooooooo

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
YOU GUYS LIKE GAMBLES? :getin:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PVM-14L5-14-034-Professional-Color-Monitor-/291925666666

:shrek:

This will be an interesting couple of weeks for me. :kheldragar:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

That doesn't look like a Jaguar CD to me?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

:stonk:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Could a Nunchuk be used on that thing as a one-handed RPG controller or whatever? I don't remember how many buttons they have aside from that one on the bottom.

e: nm, gently caress menu-ing (and 2D gaming in general) with an analog stick

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Are there any good Game Boy or Game Boy Color games that are a little lengthier and meatier than the usual GB game? I've played Link's Awakening but what else is there?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FrumpleOrz posted:

Are there any good Game Boy or Game Boy Color games that are a little lengthier and meatier than the usual GB game? I've played Link's Awakening but what else is there?

The Final Fantasy Legend games (there are three of them) are a good choice, along with Final Fantasy Adventure if you don't have a Vita to play the remastered version with. FFL2 got a Japan-only DS remake, there's a slightly-screwy-but-serviceable English patch for it. I don't believe FFL1 and 3 have been remade on anything. As a bonus all the FFL games do the whole "permanently choose classes at the start thing" so there's some replayability potential if that's your thing. All four of those games are strictly monochrome-only on Game Boy.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

univbee posted:

The Final Fantasy Legend games (there are three of them) are a good choice, along with Final Fantasy Adventure if you don't have a Vita to play the remastered version with. FFL2 got a Japan-only DS remake, there's a slightly-screwy-but-serviceable English patch for it. I don't believe FFL1 and 3 have been remade on anything. As a bonus all the FFL games do the whole "permanently choose classes at the start thing" so there's some replayability potential if that's your thing. All four of those games are strictly monochrome-only on Game Boy.

FFL3 got a remake as well on DS, it just came out super late iirc.

Absolutely play the Vita remake of Final Fantasy Adventure though, that game is lovely. I mean the GB version is cool too but yeah.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FrumpleOrz posted:

GTA 1 and 2 are the complete PC/PSX games, just without the 3D-rendered 2D world effect and the minor amount of voice acting those first two games had. The entire city maps and missions are in there.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

d0s posted:

i was in try and got a reasonably good score on donpachi (in 1st place), right after i finish entering my initials a japanese dude runs up from like the other end of the row, absolutely demolishes my score and kinda paces off as the name entry pops up without putting anything in with a hilarious "well that's taken care of" demeanor. japanese arcades are the best

e: he must have been in his 50's too

Do people still smoke a lot in Japanese arcades? I was there in 2007 and the only ESP Galuda II machine I found was right next to a guy playing Mushihimesama with two full astrays and an apparent five-pack-a-day habit.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

univbee posted:

I don't believe FFL1 and 3 have been remade on anything.

FFL1/Makai Toushi SaGa had a nice remake on Wonderswan Color. I played through it and it's really great, although WS emulation is a little bit janky on 60hz monitors (the system ran at 75 for some reason).

SaGa 3 is also on DS (also has a 95% translation patch available), and probably uses the same engine as 2.

FrumpleOrz posted:

The first 3 Dragon Quest games had great GBC versions. DQ3 is 32 megs due to them cramming all the sprite animations in there, and has a bonus-bonus dungeon that wasn't in SFC.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ofecks posted:

The first 3 Dragon Quest games had great GBC versions. DQ3 is 32 megs due to them cramming all the sprite animations in there, and has a bonus-bonus dungeon that wasn't in SFC.

Oh yeah. The translations at least of the first two are different, and they tweaked the EXP and Gold distribution to be way less grindy.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Yeah they're based off the SFC remakes, not the FC/NES originals. Both carts are worth getting, IMO.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If you're playing Dragon Quest games on GB, then you need to play Dragon Quest/Warrior Monsters.

Those also have remakes elsewhere (on PS1 and again on 3DS) but those aren't in English.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

FrumpleOrz posted:

The Zelda Ages? Wario Land 2 & 3 (I dunno I at least put a lot of time in them)? Cave Noire? They got this game in Japan called Pocket Monsters, too

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

FrumpleOrz posted:

Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel is pretty involved. It even has VR missions.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

TheMightyBoops posted:

Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel is pretty involved. It even has VR missions.

I remember Perfect Dark GBC being good and also extremely difficult

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kid Fenris posted:

Do people still smoke a lot in Japanese arcades? I was there in 2007 and the only ESP Galuda II machine I found was right next to a guy playing Mushihimesama with two full astrays and an apparent five-pack-a-day habit.

There was an ashtray and an open window in one of the arcades I went to last year, but I went to lots of arcades and it didn't seem like smoking IN the arcades was too common. It was pretty wild for me to sit indoors in a building and smoke while playing games, though, since you can't do that poo poo in the US anymore. But I wouldn't say "a lot" necessarily.

Cigarette vending machines everywhere though.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

NikkolasKing posted:

Pardon but I have a quick question.

I have been wanting to set up a retro gaming thing for a while but I am poor so it's not easy to justify all the money I figured I'd have to pour into it. Just getting a nice old TV seemed destined to cost me over $200. However I was recently at a local thrift shop getting clothes and randomly had a buddy of mine look for a nice old TV. He found one right away. Sony Trinitron with RGB. Maybe they all have RGB, I just know that RGB is apparently the best or something for SD stuff. It's about 30 or 32 in my friend estimated.

They want $20 for it. That is pretty much the best deal I can ever hope for, right? I ask because that SOB is heavy and I am of the pipeweed nerd variety and need to get a couple of my more muscular friends to not only lug that sucker out of the store but up to my second floor apartment. So it's pretty cheap but requires some commitment and planning.

As others have said, it's 99.9% most likely component (YPbPr) video. Which is high quality and essentially "RGB-lite", but the big issue with it is that no consoles natively output it until you get to the PS2/Xbox/GC era of hardware. Many consoles from before that era will output standard RGB (basically separate red/green/blue color channels plus a sync signal), but pretty much all consumer-level TVs in North America do not take it directly. Because apparently no one in the US, Canada, Mexico and Japan gave a poo poo about promoting it or pushing for it in the consumer space back in the day.

That said, component video ports can still be used! You can get a SCART RGB-to-component adapter that will adapt the standard RGB output from consoles like the first-model SNES, first and second model Sega Genesis, and the various Neo Geo hardware to the component video form that your TV would take. You would need the box and an appropriate SCART cable for each console you want to adapt.

https://www.amazon.com/SPECIALTY-AV-SCART-Component-Converter-Genesis/dp/B004XSSDPO

For the SNES and Genesis, there are also the Retrovision AV cables that basically do what the box linked above does within the cable itself. Their site says that adapting the Genesis cable to fit the Neo Geo AV port might be in the cards down the line.

As for the TV price, $20 is reasonable for a consumer-grade CRT TV. The $200 price you might be thinking of is for PVMs and BVMs, which are dedicated CRT video monitors that take standard RGB directly, in addition to other input formats. These are more niche and uncommon, but still in demand, so the price often reflects that. They're also limited in size (20" is typically the largest, outside of the rare 25" and 29" models), and are also pretty utilitarian in their design and form.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

My parents had a trinitron for about 20 years that had an rgb scart input. In Florida.

EDIT: I'm wrong, it had RGB, but not an SCART connector. Looks closer to an IDE cable.
(not my picture)

The pinout is in the manual, so we probably could have gotten something rigged up.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/851678/Sony-Kv-20xbr.html?page=19#manual

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Finally all is good in the world.

E: Well it will be when I get an RGB Scart cable, since I don't want to butcher my GC cable.

• Locked thread