Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
waiting for the group buy of xwhatsit beam spring controllers and a solenoid driver to hurry up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i hate my ultrawide 10-key keyboard and am looking for something svelte and sexy

wires are great
backlit keys are pretty cool but not essential
i actually like lovely laptop-style keys
mechanical seems like a neat thing to waste money on

waht am i buyin

e; are ergo keyboards even worth a drat or are they all bullshit in silly form factors

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

I've had my wasd v2 with blues for around 5 months now, best keyboard purchase so far.

And now wasd has the clears back in stock and here I am, thinking if I should drop $250 and get them.

drat it, why am I spending so much on keyboards, help.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
somehow i'm at full speed on both my ergodox and on my macbook #winning

until i have to hit backspace on the macbook or type [, ], or = on the ergodox

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

somehow i'm at full speed on both my ergodox and on my macbook #winning

until i have to hit backspace on the macbook or type [, ], or = on the ergodox
congratulations on your ability to procrastinate at full speed with ergodox

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

e; are ergo keyboards even worth a drat or are they all bullshit in silly form factors

kinesis advantage is a serious 'board

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

kinesis advantage is a serious 'board

it looks serious

idk if I'm ready to handle that

what about a das c4 or whatever they call their little 10key-less

wasd boards are twice as much but I get to pick the colors!!

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
KeyTronic ErgoForce KT-2001, top tier keyboard.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

I finally broke down and bought the mathais quiet pro, it owns bones, thanks thread.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

is there a stuck post

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

holy poo poo all this stupid :pcgaming: branding

e: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VDKLLM/
CM Storm QuickFire Rapid - Tenkeyless Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with CHERRY MX Brown Switches

is this what i want

HAIL eSATA-n fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 3, 2016

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

holy poo poo all this stupid :pcgaming: branding

e: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VDKLLM/
CM Storm QuickFire Rapid - Tenkeyless Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with CHERRY MX Brown Switches

is this what i want

That's what I have at home and have no issues with it. My full size Code at work (w clears) is better but is also double the price

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

That's what I have at home and have no issues with it. My full size Code at work (w clears) is better but is also double the price

what's better about it? I like the backlighting on the code

which one is smaller lengthwise? or are they about equal in length

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

El Laucha posted:

I've had my wasd v2 with blues for around 5 months now, best keyboard purchase so far.

And now wasd has the clears back in stock and here I am, thinking if I should drop $250 and get them.

drat it, why am I spending so much on keyboards, help.

theyre diufferent for sure but imo a bit more solid and less tinny

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

what's better about it? I like the backlighting on the code

which one is smaller lengthwise? or are they about equal in length

Code has backlighting, better keycaps and feels a bit more solid. Also more understated not by much.

My code is full size and my CM is tenkeyless so I don't know as a direct comparison

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Get this instead https://www.amazon.com/CM-Storm-QuickFire-TK-Mechanical/dp/B00A378L4C

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I saw that - I don't like the weird hybrid tenkey situation. plan is to get a tenkeyless and buy a lil separate tk pad if I find I actually need one

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Red_Fred posted:

Code has backlighting, better keycaps and feels a bit more solid. Also more understated not by much.

My code is full size and my CM is tenkeyless so I don't know as a direct comparison

the only difference between codes and wasd is the backlighting i believe.. and by default the wasd comes with abs caps unless you choose their pbt option, which removes all options of customising the caps

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I have a monoprice keyboard with reds and it is p deece

it had springs in the spacebar that made it feel mushy but I took those out and now it's fine. also the larger keys were squeaky at first but that went away after breaking it in

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

echinopsis posted:

the only difference between codes and wasd is the backlighting i believe.. and by default the wasd comes with abs caps unless you choose their pbt option, which removes all options of customising the caps

I was comparing my CM Storm to my code though which is what he was looking at

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

PBT caps are heck of nice if you don't care about backlighting (this is aimed at whoever)

burning swine
May 26, 2004

you _can_ get pbt doubleshot caps made for backlighting, and they're heck of heck of nice, but I don't know of any keyboard that comes with them stock, so you've gotta massdrop it. Then you might end up with weird poo poo like the symbol being lit up instead of the number on the top row, etc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah that's the boat i'm in. vortex double shot pbts

and if the legends were arranged better or the switches were double led then it would be perfect but yeah for now only the symbols not the numbers light up but it's all
good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i won a cooler master quickfire stealth with browns. hopefully it arrives today

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

echinopsis posted:

i won a cooler master quickfire stealth with browns. hopefully it arrives today

That's my home board, I like it. Browns are good for general use

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

what about this lil thing

MK Disco TKL RGB Backlit Mechanical Keyboard (KBT Brown)

are KBT switches good?

e: or this one MasterKeys Pro S Mechanical Keyboard

:supaburn:

HAIL eSATA-n fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 4, 2016

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Red_Fred posted:

That's my home board, I like it. Browns are good for general use

yeah just got home. probably the biggest difference between that and my others is the weight of the board itself. nothing that gluing a kilo of stainless steel plate to the underside wouldn't fix

imma take that board to work and see how it goes. it's tkl and i use that a bit so will see how i enjoy it

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

echinopsis posted:

yeah just got home. probably the biggest difference between that and my others is the weight of the board itself. nothing that gluing a kilo of stainless steel plate to the underside wouldn't fix

imma take that board to work and see how it goes. it's tkl and i use that a bit so will see how i enjoy it

My cm storm is lighter than my code but I don't think by heaps? I dunno though as they have never met each other

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
actually its not too much different. this is a tkl so I think that is it mostlty. what I dont like is the horrible gamer font. welp. I do like the whole legends on the fronts rather than tops of the keycaps though :)

I am excite to get to know a new keybaors

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

echi you're the kblord, which of the two I posted should I get

leaning toward the mk one just because it has less dumb gamer trash

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
um yeah I mean im not quite sure why those are your two options. less dumb gamer trash but still some???

https://www.amazon.com/CM-Storm-QuickFire-Stealth-Mechanical/dp/B007VDKLLM?th=1

thius is the baord I am typing on now only my legends are on the front of the keys not the tops (I think that makes it "stealth" rather than "rapid") and its fine

is it he backlighting? I know nothing of the different switch types

thanks for my honourary title tho

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the keyblord

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

echinopsis posted:

actually its not too much different. this is a tkl so I think that is it mostlty. what I dont like is the horrible gamer font. welp. I do like the whole legends on the fronts rather than tops of the keycaps though :)

I am excite to get to know a new keybaors

That's my biggest issue with it, the stupid font

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
98% of the time I touch type but that 2% of the time when I look down I just wanna see what I need to and this stealth makes it a bit harder. the "pro" das was significantly worse and having actual legends just makes life easier because that 2% of life happens like 1/50th of my entire life

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

um yeah I mean im not quite sure why those are your two options. less dumb gamer trash but still some???

https://www.amazon.com/CM-Storm-QuickFire-Stealth-Mechanical/dp/B007VDKLLM?th=1

thius is the baord I am typing on now only my legends are on the front of the keys not the tops (I think that makes it "stealth" rather than "rapid") and its fine

is it he backlighting? I know nothing of the different switch types

thanks for my honourary title tho

i really just want some static backlighting but if you have some lights you have to market how they can make it rain or you can play snek or whatever.

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1371

this looks good too. I need to just pick one at random since there are a billion choices and it really doesn't matter

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my instinct is to avoid keyboards without completely standard layouts but
your needs might vary from mine. i don't want anyone to ever get pissed off that i have a funny board if they have to use my computer for some reason

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
why is it so hard to have a usb hub in a keyboard anyway. I thought one of the things usb did was be a hubbable device.. but even the das that had the hub required two usb plugs into the pc?

cant it just be a usb 2/3 device and the usb1.1 keyboard implementation just jump on that bus????

anyway im legit pissed off about this and wanna fuckin turn over a table and poo poo on the underside of it.. let it set and then turn it back over

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I think its probably because autistics would get mad about the keyboard and attached devices sharing the bus. it also could be that its cheaper for the keyboard manufacturers

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Shaggar posted:

I think its probably because autistics would get mad about the keyboard and attached devices sharing the bus. it also could be that its cheaper for the keyboard manufacturers

No free bus rides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

my instinct is to avoid keyboards without completely standard layouts but
your needs might vary from mine. i don't want anyone to ever get pissed off that i have a funny board if they have to use my computer for some reason

keep a second keyboard in a drawer

kinesis supremacy

• Locked thread