Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

I got rid of the word filters.

Some of them were funny. Especially "neoliberal"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Cingulate posted:

The difference is that while there are still factual slaves in the US and Dubai, Rome was a whole empire built entirely on slavery, and on constantly invading its neighbors. Rome is worse than the US in the same way that the antebellum south was worse than Sweden.

I know that there are differences. You made a point and I proposed a counterpoint. I get that you want to defend your points but it's okay to be wrong. It means you have an opportunity to learn. I like being wrong sometimes too. It means that I get to reanalyze and upend my biases. :)

Moving the goalposts in order to focus the narrative on some other narrow fact is okay, but it doesn't make wrong statements any less wrong.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

FactsAreUseless posted:

I got rid of the word filters.

finally i can spell anroid as it is intended

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Ted Cruz

e: nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Taking the advice not to pick Christie is Donnie's only demonstrable example of good judgement. Possibly ever

This is from more than 20 pages ago so it's probably already been corrected.(holy poo poo thread why the hell did you have sooooo many new posts)

But no. Donnie was told(one of the camp. managers lied) his amazing plane need some maintenance so Donnie couldn't fly to NJ and personally tell fatass he's the veep. So he picked Pence.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

I've got the scoop!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

As far as slavery goes you really couldn't do better than being a slave in the Roman Empire. American slavery was much worse by nearly every metric.

If you were a personal slave to a rich person, sure, but the modern narrative likes to conveniently ignore the mine slaves that were literally thrown into a dark hole and forced to work until they died.

Much like modern privately owned labor prisons, if you look at it the right way.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Trump supporters have no right to speak of nothing-burgers.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Ice Phisherman posted:

I know that there are differences. You made a point and I proposed a counterpoint. I get that you want to defend your points but it's okay to be wrong. It means you have an opportunity to learn. I like being wrong sometimes too. It means that I get to reanalyze and upend my biases. :)

Moving the goalposts in order to focus the narrative on some other narrow fact is okay, but it doesn't make wrong statements any less wrong.

Also extremely lol @ his "you see, the difference between Rome and the US is that Rome was built on the backs of slaves and was very belligerent, militarily :smug:"

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

stone cold posted:

Free trade is good. Companies will not magically move their industries back here if we raise tariffs super high.

I think this is a drastic simplification of what people who don't support free trade across the board are asking for. There are lots of good arguments for free trade helping increase productivity and put more good stuff in the world. That doesn't necessarily mean that I selfishly get that good stuff. I am saying that I want my government to act as a company that I own stock in (I get paid in motherfucking USD after all). One way to do this is to use advantages such as gouging for market access. You have to leave just enough meat on the bone that the buyer is willing to pay for it, like with anything. But if you are selling out of product, it means you aren't charging enough. That's us. Right now. Money left on the table all day every day and Detroit burning down because of it.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Nonsense posted:

Trump supporters have no right to speak of nothing-burgers.

Dude I'm toxxed for Jeb!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
ACAB

The alleged incident occurred in May, when Officer Matthew Luckhurst, a five-year veteran of the department, bragged to a fellow officer that “he had picked up some feces, placed it in a slice of bread, and put it in a Styrofoam container next to the unknown homeless male”

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

No Butt Stuff posted:

Ted Cruz

e: nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I'm a little bit sad that we never got the filter that changed "Trump's base" to "Trump's baes"

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

MaxxBot posted:

Dude I'm toxxed for Jeb!

You poor soul. :ohdear:

Care for a guacamole bowl?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

ACAB

The alleged incident occurred in May, when Officer Matthew Luckhurst, a five-year veteran of the department, bragged to a fellow officer that “he had picked up some feces, placed it in a slice of bread, and put it in a Styrofoam container next to the unknown homeless male”

:lol: @ this portion though:

Mike Helle, president of the San Antonio Police Officers Association, said the officer does not receive union representation after being terminated.
“He’s on his own right now,” Helle said of Luckhurst. “It’s his conduct and behavior he had to answer for. The chief took the necessary action he thought he had to take.”

Totally, if only he had shot and killed a black homeless man, then he'd still be working.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

haveblue posted:

I'm a little bit sad that we never got the filter that changed "Trump's base" to "Trump's baes"
I always wanted a series of word filters that would change commonly-misspelled words to the wrong spelling.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

sit on my Facebook posted:

Also extremely lol @ his "you see, the difference between Rome and the US is that Rome was built on the backs of slaves and was very belligerent, militarily :smug:"

It's easy to laugh and criticize. Harder to change peoples' minds. I'd rather change peoples' minds than score arbitrary points for myself. By and large I try to divorce attacking people's ideas from the people themselves. Otherwise I have really no chance of getting my message heard by anyone.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

You poor soul. :ohdear:

Care for a guacamole bowl?

'Cuck' yeah!

No lemon though please

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

The Shortest Path posted:

If you were a personal slave to a rich person, sure, but the modern narrative likes to conveniently ignore the mine slaves that were literally thrown into a dark hole and forced to work until they died.

Much like modern privately owned labor prisons, if you look at it the right way.

So long as you weren't in the mines or on the farms of some lovely owner, life as a Roman slave wasn't too awful. Just the vague awfulness that comes from being stolen from your homeland, transported to some foreign territory, and forced to shed any and all vestiges of your former cultural identity.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Cingulate posted:

The average life expectancy of Roman slaves was 17. The US is so much better than Rome on every context-free measure. The worst parts of this world are better than the best parts of the past.

I think you can make a reasonable case that economically the world has been improving on average since the industrial revolution, but the idea that there has been consistent moral "progress" is much harder to defend.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ice Phisherman posted:

It's easy to laugh and criticize.

Fun, too!

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

ACAB

jesus loving christ

the impressive thing here is that this guy managed to be such a loving shitstain that his cop colleagues reported him to IA.

quote:

“We have very few bad apples in a barrel full of outstanding police and fire,” Krier said. “But it’s our job to get the bad apples out of the barrel as quickly as possible when they do bad things.”

oh hey mr. friedman, didn't see you there!

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I think "Arzy" should wordfilter to Arzy.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

So long as you weren't in the mines or on the farms of some lovely owner, life as a Roman slave wasn't too awful. Just the vague awfulness that comes from being stolen from your homeland, transported to some foreign territory, and forced to shed any and all vestiges of your former cultural identity.

But after you worked for a couple decades you got freed and granted citizenship to the country that conquered you, so it was pretty great!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

I think it should wordfilter to Racist, because that's who he was.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

botany posted:

jesus loving christ

the impressive thing here is that this guy managed to be such a loving shitstain that his cop colleagues reported him to IA.

"Very few." So... more than one cop on par with this guy?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

WeAreTheRomans posted:

It's a shame we can get word filters for "cvcked" but not for "retard"

cry me a loving river.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

MaxxBot posted:

I've got the scoop!

Nothingburgers galore today

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/794604909710610434

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

botany posted:

jesus loving christ

It is still pending arbitration. I wouldn't be surprised if someone forgot to dot an "i" or double crossed a "t" and the shitbag gets his job back with back pay.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I deally do need to disengage, the latest updates on 538 have literally made me nervous as hell.

I'm arzying. I know Nevada is pretty safe for Hillary but loving god drat.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

Why are you so hostile? It's inevitable things are better in the world than ancient Rome. That doesn't seem like a controversial statement.

Is there some other context going on here?

Edit: Oh he's comparing to 19th century slavery? I thought he was taking about modern poverty.
Not so sure if it's better or worse than 19th century south? Don't know the numbers. But I'm talking USA 2015 compared to the Rome of the servile war.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

It doesn't really change much though. It's a bad habit in my opinion. "You have dumb opinions and are a dumb person" only makes the people who agree with you nod, not changes the mind of people who disagree with you. :(

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

GalacticAcid posted:

God, please yes.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Cingulate posted:

The difference is that while there are still factual slaves in the US and Dubai, Rome was a whole empire built entirely on slavery, and on constantly invading its neighbors. Rome is worse than the US in the same way that the antebellum south was worse than Sweden.

I don't know about others, but I'm trying to suggest that these aren't monolithic "better than" and "worse than" judgments. You would rather be a homosexual in ancient Greece than in multiple countries in Africa and the Middle East today. You would rather be Jewish in ancient Rome than in Europe almost anytime in the past 1000 years. You would rather be an atheist in France in the 1790s than in the deep south in America today. For a less socially charged area, I suspect it won't be a long term phenomenon (please please), but declining basic scientific literacy and trust in science is another example where we are at risk of regressing. Etc etc. Having a steadily improving life expectancy does not negate other ways in which we have or have not made progress.

Edit: If the counterpoint is that 2016 is better than 16, then that isn't the same thing as steady progress, and we could pick other pairs of dates to suggest steady decline or stasis.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 4, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Really do just filter arzy to panic though. That would be great.

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012

Kind of a funny plea for attention since I'm unaware of him ever endorsing Clinton in the first place.

César Vargas was one of the more pleasant parts of Sanders' campaign in Nevada and lied about Obama voting against the 2007 immigration bill (he must have had Obama's vote confused with Sanders).

He was also trying to get Sanders to run third party in late July.

Sinister_Beekeeper fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 4, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ice Phisherman posted:

It doesn't really change much though. It's a bad habit in my opinion. "You have dumb opinions and are a dumb person" only makes the people who agree with you nod, not changes the mind of people who disagree with you. :(

A. That was a Simpsons quote
B. Someone pops up and says your line every 50 pages or so. Then someone else inevitably points out that that opinion comes from a position of privilege. Your life isn't materially harmed by the dumb opinions and the dumb people who have them. You aren't degraded by them and exhausted by dealing with them day in and day out. It's an opt-in for you. Then your side of the convo ignores that and goes back to making :( faces the next time a minority gets exasperated too.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
no americans are in good shape

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

ACAB

Mods, please change my name to Fecal Sandwich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
For all this ranting about impeachment, the funniest part is that even if it happens it would mean Tim Kaine as Prez. Which, I dunno about you, but I could live with. It makes me wish Clinton had picked something other than the most moderate man alive 2016 as her running mate but optics.

I wonder if they'd be pushing to impeach so hard if the ticket had someone not from the corporate wing of the party.

• Locked thread