Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

there's a difference between "so rich your parents can pay for your karting career" vs "so rich that your dad bought an F1 car for two days of private testing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

How was the F3 field in terms of talent this year?

Frequently heard that it was "not great" and then you have to factor in Stroll being at Prema and Williams staff were supposedly engineering his races.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

also, i noticed recently that the engine on my civic prominently says EARTHDREAMS, which i am very fond of

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Deletraz's son might win FV3.5 V8.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

also, i noticed recently that the engine on my civic prominently says EARTHDREAMS, which i am very fond of

My RX7's rotor housings had "Licenced by NSU-Wankel" stamped on them and when I got it rebuilt I was rather annoyed when the the housings I got didn't have that any more.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

How different the world would've been if Piech hadn't killed off the Rotary to push diesel.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Devil's advocate:

Becoming a world class talent is at least partially down to having the opportunity to endlessly practise and perfect your craft as well as the pure natural talent you may have been born with.

Having a megabux parent funding your racing means you're not having to spend time trawling around for sponsors and showing up at their dumb corporate events to shake hands, missing out on track time through budget shortfalls, or showing up to feeder series events with cheap shitbox engines and parts that make you five seconds off the pace and/or blow up after three laps. You can just get on with the thousands of hours of practise you need to be a super-talented racing driver without any of those distractions.

So it may not simply be "Stroll is a poo poo driver with a rich daddy" vs "Stroll is a super mega 5xWDC in the making". Maybe Stroll is going to be a super mega 5xWDC because his rich daddy has made it possible for him to get this far without being distracted or tripped up by all the other bullshit that causes the other kids to drop off the development ladder.

or maybe he's a lovely ride buyer who gets stomped by Bottas and fucks off into obscurity after a couple of years, who knows

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

learnincurve posted:

The Sauber drivers and Gutierrez doing poo poo like getting in everyone's way during test sessions or holding up better drivers when blue flags are waved is what happens when someone is only there because they bought their way into a F1 seat. If this kid bought his way to a GP2 championship and now a F1 seat there is no actual frame of reference for how good he is. I have a sneaking suspicion that we have our new Pastor for 2017.

You missed the bit where he didn't race in GP2?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

ImplicitAssembler posted:

You missed the bit where he didn't race in GP2?

*GP3

That's even worse no?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

there's a difference between "so rich your parents can pay for your karting career" vs "so rich that your dad bought an F1 car for two days of private testing"

I'm extremely fortunate to have a handful of friends that have insane levels of gently caress off money, but this quote above put it in a new perspective for me. That's some serious gently caress off money. I also find it insanely cool for god knows whatever stupid reason. Probably in the fact that he bought a used F1 car then had an entire staff for him to test it with.

If I had that kind of money you can bet your rear end I'd be spending as much as I could to promote and further my motorsports career. Chase the gently caress outta that dream.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

td4guy posted:

It worked out okay for Max.

https://i.imgur.com/H6r5Vti.mp4

I'm seeing 3 moustaches

1500quidporsche posted:

And again, given the above statement it's a damning condemnation of Hamilton's personality that I want Rosberg to win the championship.

It's a damning condemnation of what an EU-loving jealous traitor you are

poty fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 4, 2016

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

poty posted:

I'm seeing 3 moustaches

The 80's were a beautiful time

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

The 80's were a beautiful time

MOOOOODDDDSSS

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

wicka posted:

Whats up f1 thread modern honda buddy :glomp:

With its 1.5 liters of fury, its about as fast as a modern Mclaren-Honda. I thought of the Button/Baricello era as soon as i opened the hood.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Nice try, the real MattD1zzl3 would never use an "i" or "e."

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

We should revert to H pattern gearboxes.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

We should revert to H pattern gearboxes.

I challenge anyone to tell me that shifting on an old Volkswagen with way out of spec mechanical linkage that I may have had to grind to clear the exhaust and failing synchros between second and third up a logging road trying to find some sort of middle ground between one wheel free wheeling and bogging down the engine isn't a skill :colbert:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
As usual i'm on board with the H patterns

Helps:
"Drivers dont drive the car anymore, engineers/computers do"
"There isnt any passing"
"F1 is too expensive"
"F1 isnt relevant to road cars"

Hurts:
Poor/inexperienced drivers
People in expensive cars who want to look cool because "its like f1"

People might say "But an automatic gearbox can shift faster than a human can, so it belongs in the pinnacle of Motorsport". But if thats the road we are going down we should also have Active Aero, ground effects and nitromethane v8s. Bring back the H-pattern, there is no downside. I'm all for them being an option on your road car, its sort of ok if you lost your legs in iraq or something (but i'll still be judging you silently, Sgt. Stubby).

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 4, 2016

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Meanwhile, Max is still whinging about his penalty::
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/verstappen-calls-for-f1-rules-rethink-after-mexico-double-standards-846635/

It's amazing how much I already dislike him.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

But I mean, who wasn't a moron in their late teens.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
H pattern shifters would do jack poo poo

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Alain Post posted:

H pattern shifters would do jack poo poo

i think the idea is that many of the drivers are actually bad and would thus make a lot of mistakes if they had to go back to stick shifters. i reaaaaally don't think this is the case.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
F1 isn't an unbiased meritocracy?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

i think the idea is that many of the drivers are actually bad and would thus make a lot of mistakes if they had to go back to stick shifters. i reaaaaally don't think this is the case.

F1 gearboxes don't have synchros so you pretty much have to have the rpm +/- 50rpm of the gear you want to go into or the gear is going to get chewed up pretty fast and the gearbox will blow before the end of the race or if you're so far out it will just refuse to go in. I actually think the reverse, that no driver can keep that up over the course of the race.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It does annoy me that everyone bitched and bitched about how easy these cars are to drive and we've basically launched ourselves into a ridiculous aero arms race when we really could've just banned power steering or something.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
What was the year when they banned traction control or something and poo poo drivers were all over the place spinning around and poo poo? that was funny

I remember Massa spinning out constantly during the first race in Melbourne

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I think I remember something like that in early 2014 when they banned the bleh diffusers coupled with the low end torque provided by the hybrids.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Whats up f1 thread modern honda buddy :glomp:

With its 1.5 liters of fury, its about as fast as a modern Mclaren-Honda. I thought of the Button/Baricello era as soon as i opened the hood.
I can't stop laughing over that lovely car bra.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

El Hefe posted:

What was the year when they banned traction control or something and poo poo drivers were all over the place spinning around and poo poo? that was funny

I remember Massa spinning out constantly during the first race in Melbourne

Melbourne 2008. Massa spun 2 (3?) times and all told 7 cars finished.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Same.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

No glasses?

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

that hat looks like an afterthought, gonna assume he demanded it after he saw how they rendered his hair plugs

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

mods?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

This also probably needed a spoiler and a NMS tag :cry:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
He looks so awful I'm not even sure he qualifies as punchable

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

No ring, 7/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

EoRaptor posted:

Not a good crash. :nms:

Whole lotta screwing up going on here.
I'm going to guess this is Bianchi's fatal crash. Not going to watch that again.

• Locked thread