Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Knifegrab posted:

I do mostly vocal stuff, as such I just use stupid and bad things like audacity. It works for everything I need. However I was trying to do something the other day and could not get it to work.

Basically I have two tracks, one is background music that I want to play at a fairly audible level, the other is a spoken word track. I was wondering if there was a technique (other than manually enveloping the entire 2+ hour long clip) to make the the background music track automatically quiet down when the spoken word track was speaking?

This process is called ducking, it is typically done by putting a compressor effect on the music track and feeding the vocal as a sidechain input to the compressor. It's much easier to do in a DAW like Reaper where you can preview/adjust effects in realtime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGZZGP35JVM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Is there like a goon tour schedule somewhere? It'd be cool to have goons post in threads with like:
Genre:
Time:
Place:

etc etc

I'd love to go to local goon shows.

I always use to post my tour schedule and didn't have a goon come out in 3 years so I kinda just stopped. This is what we just did.

Pokey Araya fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 10, 2016

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Double post =\

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Pokey Araya posted:

I always use to post my tour schedule and didn't have a goon come out in 3 years so I kinda just stopped. This is what we just did.

Haha, funnily enough I had you in mind when I asked! I think the biggest ask is most of you guys are in America, so unless you do an Aus tour it limits who I can see :( But yeah, I'm doing the live music thing more so goon bands would be cool for me.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Is there really no market for customized cool looking arms/bars for Wilkinson style tremolos? Something like the Chet Atkins style arm, or just some flare other than the default tweaked rod with a wacky colored nub?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I've got a problem editing my 10+ minute jam tracks down to a manageable length because I'm always reluctant to "cut my darlings." Any advice on training myself to be more ruthless tightening things up?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Your self esteem is too high, work on that.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Don't go too far in the other direction, though, or you'll never record a goddamn thing.

He says, not recording.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Are you talking about me? You're talking about me, aren't you? You hate me, right?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Put it on for someone else, when they pull out their phone thats probably where it needs trimming.

Alternatively stick it on in the car and see where you are reaching for the skip button, listening in 'real world' situations is a better measure than grooving in front of your daw.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
For me the actual best litmus test is to intentionally not listen to it for several weeks, or even a month. The fresher my ears are, the better my judgement tends to be.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Try taking some of your favourite bits and making them into new songs. You can always keep your full length jam version as original demos

breaks
May 12, 2001

When I'm stuck or indecisive about an arrangement, I like the approach of mapping out the arrangement of some other track I like and straight copying it, since it takes the decision making out of my hands. And then it can be adjusted if something's not quite right.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Trig Discipline posted:

Are you talking about me? You're talking about me, aren't you? You hate me, right?

what? no

I hate myself.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Where would be the best place to ask tab related questions? I'm trying to create a drumtab for Crash course in Brain surgery by Metallica. I'm not sure if the song is in double-time and if I should keep the base BPM lower because of that.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Quick question: if I am playing a song in the key of B, would I be able to use a B minor blues scale for soloing? I know if the song is in the key of B I would use the Ab minor pentatonic, and was wondering if that also applied to blues.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Kvlt! posted:

Quick question: if I am playing a song in the key of B, would I be able to use a B minor blues scale for soloing? I know if the song is in the key of B I would use the Ab minor pentatonic, and was wondering if that also applied to blues.

I assume you mean 'Key of B major' (that is, the notes B, C#, D#, E, F# G#, A#, B) ? If that's the case then Ab/G# Minor pentatonic would work as would most of C# and D# minor pentatonic. Once you start talking about 'blues scale' however, you're really working with a musical tradition that doesn't 'fit' - it can flip between major and minor, you can play all seven chords, you can play the tritone (blue note) so it's OK to feel more free with it.

NB: if you're being strictly correct, you should call the relative minor of B major, G# minor - the reason is that you ideally want to fit one of each letter into a scale, and since you have to have an A#, you can't have an Ab as well, so that note has to be a G#.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Southern Heel posted:

I assume you mean 'Key of B major' (that is, the notes B, C#, D#, E, F# G#, A#, B) ? If that's the case then Ab/G# Minor pentatonic would work as would most of C# and D# minor pentatonic. Once you start talking about 'blues scale' however, you're really working with a musical tradition that doesn't 'fit' - it can flip between major and minor, you can play all seven chords, you can play the tritone (blue note) so it's OK to feel more free with it.

NB: if you're being strictly correct, you should call the relative minor of B major, G# minor - the reason is that you ideally want to fit one of each letter into a scale, and since you have to have an A#, you can't have an Ab as well, so that note has to be a G#.

My bad, that is what I meant. I don't know a lot about theory so I've been trying to learn more. That info is very helpful, thanks!

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I've got a problem editing my 10+ minute jam tracks down to a manageable length because I'm always reluctant to "cut my darlings." Any advice on training myself to be more ruthless tightening things up?

I had a similar problem when I was writing my dissertation. I printed things out, and edited at the pub after a few beers. That was the only way I could make myself delete "my precious words." So my advice is: make a copy of the original tracks so that you can go back to them, get "relaxed" in whatever way you prefer, and then make the edits.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
dB attenuation question:

There's a stereo effect that I do with mono tracks by duplicating the mono track and panning each hard left and right and offsetting one by a little bit. The thing I'm wondering though, is before I go shifting one the tracks, the overall volume is now louder after I panned each track hard left and right than just the one mono track panned to the center. I bus over each hard panned mono track to a stereo auxiliary track. How much do I need to attenuate the auxiliary track in dB to match the original mono track's output? I can sort of guess, but I want to know the hard math behind it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

That would depend on the pan law setting of your DAW.

e: Wait, no, it shouldn't. Interesting, often overlooked tidbit on panning though.
e2: compared to "just the one mono track panned to the center", yes, pan law matters, sorry :blush:

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 4, 2017

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Flipperwaldt posted:

That would depend on the pan law setting of your DAW.

e: Wait, no, it shouldn't. Interesting, often overlooked tidbit on panning though.
e2: compared to "just the one mono track panned to the center", yes, pan law matters, sorry :blush:

Interesting, thank you!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

To be clear, this is (twice) in addition to the level increase you get from doubling up on the sound sources, I suppose. If I've properly grasped this conceptually. My brain is not made for math.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
After all these years of doing recording and mixing, I never heard of pan law until now. I found out how much my DAW uses, and offsetting that much totally works, but does not have a setting. Many thanks.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
Quick question I'm sure many people have dealt with.

Right now I play guitar using a set of headphones plugged into an amp (I live in an apartment building) and I'd like a way to have music from spotify in my pgone play through the headphones so I can play guitar over it. What kind of hardware do I need to make it work? My understanding is a headphone jack splitter isn't enough.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

If you want to mix two sources, a small mixer might be the thing you're looking for.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you want to mix two sources, a small mixer might be the thing you're looking for.

So something cheap like this will do the trick? https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Pro-PHA...rds=audio+mixer

I just wanted to make sure the fact that one of them is a guitar amp would matter going for the cheapest one possible.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Immolat1on posted:

So something cheap like this will do the trick? https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Pro-PHA...rds=audio+mixer

I just wanted to make sure the fact that one of them is a guitar amp would matter going for the cheapest one possible.

If you're going from a headphone out, it won't matter that it's a guitar amp - you'll be all good.

The mixer you linked probably won't work though; that one's for splitting one signal to multiple sets of headphones. You need the opposite.

EDIT: This is probably the cheapest one (new) that'll work for you (with a headphone out):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...WTHL&ref=plSrch

JohnnySmitch fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 8, 2017

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005

JohnnySmitch posted:

If you're going from a headphone out, it won't matter that it's a guitar amp - you'll be all good.

The mixer you linked probably won't work though; that one's for splitting one signal to multiple sets of headphones. You need the opposite.

EDIT: This is probably the cheapest one (new) that'll work for you (with a headphone out):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...WTHL&ref=plSrch

Ah, thanks! And dumb question: with that one I'm assuming the headphones plug in where it says "PHONES" and then the amp and phone cords would plug in where it says "2-track"? Would both go in where it says input underneath? Does the Left vs Right matter? I would want the headphones to play both inputs through both headphones (not one in one ear and one in the other).

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Immolat1on posted:

Ah, thanks! And dumb question: with that one I'm assuming the headphones plug in where it says "PHONES" and then the amp and phone cords would plug in where it says "2-track"? Would both go in where it says input underneath? Does the Left vs Right matter? I would want the headphones to play both inputs through both headphones (not one in one ear and one in the other).
Headphones where it says PHONES. Output from your amp where it says LINE IN 2/3 (both, a left and a right). Phone output either in LINE IN 4/5 (also both) or 2-TRACK INPUT with the top relevant button depressed. The benefit of the former config is that you have a dedicated level button for that input as well. You may need to buy some suitable cables or cable adapters.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

edit: sorted

gucci bane fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jan 9, 2017

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

Headphones where it says PHONES. Output from your amp where it says LINE IN 2/3 (both, a left and a right). Phone output either in LINE IN 4/5 (also both) or 2-TRACK INPUT with the top relevant button depressed. The benefit of the former config is that you have a dedicated level button for that input as well. You may need to buy some suitable cables or cable adapters.

Do I need to buy an adapter that splits each input into a left and right for it to work?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Immolat1on posted:

Do I need to buy an adapter that splits each input into a left and right for it to work?
That's the general idea yeah. With the adapters I linked, you can use the fairly common stereo-mini-jack-to-dual-rca cables for that. Probably would need a jack-to-mini-jack adapter for the headphone output from your amp as well then. Though the proper cable does exist if you don't like the idea of using adapter pieces. (Potentially shop around, this is just a link to the type of product)

Stereo output from the guitar amp is mostly important when it has built in effects. Otherwise, you could run a mono-jack-to-mono-jack (aka "guitar lead") cable from the headphone output of the amp to the left input of the mixer channel and it should still end up in both ears of the headphones.

For the phone, the adapters I posted earlier with a stereo-mini-jack-to-dual-rca cable is going to be the easiest.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

That's the general idea yeah. With the adapters I linked, you can use the fairly common stereo-mini-jack-to-dual-rca cables for that. Probably would need a jack-to-mini-jack adapter for the headphone output from your amp as well then. Though the proper cable does exist if you don't like the idea of using adapter pieces. (Potentially shop around, this is just a link to the type of product)

Stereo output from the guitar amp is mostly important when it has built in effects. Otherwise, you could run a mono-jack-to-mono-jack (aka "guitar lead") cable from the headphone output of the amp to the left input of the mixer channel and it should still end up in both ears of the headphones.

For the phone, the adapters I posted earlier with a stereo-mini-jack-to-dual-rca cable is going to be the easiest.

Excellent, going to put together an order now, thanks for the help!

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
So I got this thing called a modmic that attaches to my headphones, I wanted it for more comfortable mic usage at my desk and stuff, and it uses a 3.5mm connector. I wanted to use my saffire 6 USB audio interface to run the mic, since the loving thing sounds bloody awful just running directly into my motherboard (hisses like a motherfucker) but it doesn't appear to work. I attached an adapter to make it 1/4" and plug it into the pre-amp, but I just get nothing. I'm not entirely sure why it doesn't work, but I figure it needs to be connected by XLR to get amped correctly? The ports on the interface are a little weird, the lead port and the XLR port are kinda combined.

So at this point my thinking is that I'll have to get a converter, but the only ones I can find are XLR male to 3.5mm male. I'm thinking I can use a 3.5mm coupler to attach the mic to the cable, then run that into the interface. Anyone know if that'll work?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Is the adapter to convert to 1/4" of a tip-ring-sleeve configuration? Then you're being hosed by balanced vs unbalanced connections. Use an adapter that is just tip-sleeve instead.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Well now I feel stupid, of course it's something like that. I don't have any just tip-sleeve converters on hand either, gotta order one in. That's a pain.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Radio shack usually has them in stock if you have one near by.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Welp, I ordered one in, just tip-sleeve and everything, still doesn't work. I'm beginning to think this is a quirk of my interface and I was right in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revolther
May 27, 2008
Is it possible to have a synth/sampler like Gene from Bob's Burgers that doesn't need to feed into a computer? I see a lot of Midi controllers that seem to fit the bill, but they seem to rely on a PC connection. I like the idea of live sampling ambient noises and interactions and loving with them to create silliness. Like was the show creator over-fondly remembering an 80's/90's battery operated keyboard they owned?