Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

spog posted:

Don't underestimate the value of getting something done correctly by a good company.

There will always be someone cheaper. But 2 years down the line when the house falls down or you die of CO poisoning, you'd regret not going for the good company.

Pretty much this, everyone pays for it in the end. Its either up front and known or sometime later and unknown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

scuz posted:

(sadbrains post ahead)

Furnace update: I hosed up in the most basic way possible and now I'm a real-life Charlie Brown. I didn't do any research on which company to use, just used a company that has a good local presence and does good work, didn't realize I'd be spending so much on it. Now that I'm doing research (way after the cows left the barn) I can see that I've spent not-quite double what another company would ask for the same work. I'm completely hosed. My girlfriend is furious at me for spending all that money and everyone thinks I'm a dolt, including myself. All I had to do was not panic and do any research at all and I would have saved a ton of money that I don't really have. Now I get to make the call to cancel our satellite TV (which, honestly, is fine by me since it's so expensive) and try to convince my girlfriend not to dump my rear end because she trusted me to get this done and it went 100% pear-shaped. Went to bed last night and when I woke up it was horrible since my lovely decisions still exist and she's still mad.

:smith:

straight up if your gf is mad at you that you have to cancel your satellite tv because you made the right call and went with the well known company that, while expensive, obviously does good work in order for you and your household to not die in your sleep, then maybe you should either a) talk to her about why it wasnt as bad of an idea since quality expensive work > cheap potentially poo poo work or b) dump her rear end

also if she dumps you over this then this should be you rn

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

slidebite posted:

Yeah, there is real value to using a reputable company and it's worth extra for some piece of mind. That said, 2x sounds fishy though if they are literally the exact same thing. Is the other company quoting the exact same brand/model of furnace? Any accessories?

Something has to be different or the other company bids super low to get the job and then SURPRISE WE FOUND THIS OUT AS WE'RE INSTALLING IT AND IT'S GOING TO BE $$RAPE$$ EXTRA. SORRY!

Oh yeah, this too.

Reputable companies don't charge 2x the market price. they quote the market price (plus maybe a little bit more)

poo poo companies quote half the market price and then either find lots of extra charges to stick on you, or install the whole thing with string and glue.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ya scuz you made the right call even if it was admittedly hastily done. I've never seen a cut rate contractor do a decent job and in my opinion the worst thing you could've done is go with the option that is half what everyone else is asking.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

What if everyone else charges half what they charge because everyone else is garbage?

They can't be reputable and also charge that price so idk

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Thanks, guys. I know the work is solid and stuff, but I still feel had and bad. I'm not good at the negotiating table and trust people from the get-go for no reason apart from I wish that everyone were trustworthy, even when they aren't.

slidebite posted:

Yeah, there is real value to using a reputable company and it's worth extra for some piece of mind. That said, 2x sounds fishy though if they are literally the exact same thing. Is the other company quoting the exact same brand/model of furnace? Any accessories?

Something has to be different or the other company bids super low to get the job and then SURPRISE WE FOUND THIS OUT AS WE'RE INSTALLING IT AND IT'S GOING TO BE $$RAPE$$ EXTRA. SORRY!
That's one of the problems is that I can't find a price on my exact furnace after doing google searches until I get sad and stop. They also didn't provide an itemized receipt for the work, so I'm calling them to get one. I should also point out that the install comes with a bumper-to-bumper 7 year warranty so anything that goes wrong or whatever is covered. The lowest price I could find wasn't a direct quote from a company, but it was the same brand and the price to buy the furnace and get it installed was about 2/3s of what I paid.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

scuz posted:

That's one of the problems is that I can't find a price on my exact furnace after doing google searches until I get sad and stop. They also didn't provide an itemized receipt for the work, so I'm calling them to get one. I should also point out that the install comes with a bumper-to-bumper 7 year warranty so anything that goes wrong or whatever is covered. The lowest price I could find wasn't a direct quote from a company, but it was the same brand and the price to buy the furnace and get it installed was about 2/3s of what I paid.

You're just going to need to ride them like a pony on the warranty until you get that money back.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

As an HVAC tech, I'll tell you b that the install is the most critical part of making sure the unit runs well and lasts a long time, so you want to make sure it's done right. Even if it costs extra, it's worth it to make sure you're getting quality work.

BTW If you'd like I can call Carrier and get a quote for said furnace. Though that'll probably make you more sad.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

ExplodingSims posted:

As an HVAC tech, I'll tell you b that the install is the most critical part of making sure the unit runs well and lasts a long time, so you want to make sure it's done right. Even if it costs extra, it's worth it to make sure you're getting quality work.

BTW If you'd like I can call Carrier and get a quote for said furnace. Though that'll probably make you more sad.
Yeah, I'm worried about finding out the price of the furnace :ohdear: The brand appears to be keeping its price levels away from prying eyes, but its efficiency is 96%, which I guess is pretty good. For now, the price of DirecTV is about the same as the payments for the furnace, so it's swapping something I barely use (the TV) for something that will keep us and our cats warm and alive (furnace). That's making me freak out less, which is nice.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

scuz posted:

Went to bed last night and when I woke up it was horrible since my lovely decisions still exist and she's still mad.

If she seriously dumps you over this, good loving riddance.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

I didn't know you were an HVAC tech in FL! I got a lot of questions for you but you don't have pm's :colbert:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

scuz posted:

I should also point out that the install comes with a bumper-to-bumper 7 year warranty so anything that goes wrong or whatever is covered. The lowest price I could find wasn't a direct quote from a company, but it was the same brand and the price to buy the furnace and get it installed was about 2/3s of what I paid.

Hang on: your lowest quote was 2/3rds of what you actually paid? i.e. you only paid 50% more than the cheapest price you could find, not double.

And it wasn't even a real quote?

I'll bet that if you got a real like-for-like quote, you have paid less than 20% more than any other quote from a real company and I'll bet they wouldn't have the same reputation for quality work or a 7 year warranty that they stand behind.

I don't think you hosed up here.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I didn't know you were an HVAC tech in FL! I got a lot of questions for you but you don't have pm's :colbert:

I'll answer what I can for you. I try to stay active in the HVAC thread, but if you want direct answers email me at

Explodingsims2@gmail.com

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

ExplodingSims posted:

I'll answer what I can for you. I try to stay active in the HVAC thread, but if you want direct answers email me at

Explodingsims2@gmail.com

Why does my furnace sound like a quiet train whistle in half of my house? Oh, btw, I installed my own furnace and ductwork while knowing very little on the subject.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I'm sorry to tell you this but you've got ghost trains in your ductwork. You're gonna need to call a removal service for that. :(

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

keykey posted:

If she seriously dumps you over this, good loving riddance.
Love is sometimes wondering whether you've trapped an innocent person for so long that you've driven them to madness. The whole story is that I've made some pretty questionable decisions over the course of our ~6 years of dating and this is just the latest. Other gaffs include:
  • Signing a lease on a rental duplex for us without her seeing it first that turned out to be kind of a shithole
  • Not getting a divorce from my ex for the first ~year of she and I dating (I had left it up to my ex to get the paperwork going and forgotten about it)
  • Habitually leaving doors unlocked/wide open when leaving the house
  • Basically forgetting about her birthday a few years back
I'm not perfect :shrug:

spog posted:

Hang on: your lowest quote was 2/3rds of what you actually paid? i.e. you only paid 50% more than the cheapest price you could find, not double.

And it wasn't even a real quote?

I'll bet that if you got a real like-for-like quote, you have paid less than 20% more than any other quote from a real company and I'll bet they wouldn't have the same reputation for quality work or a 7 year warranty that they stand behind.

I don't think you hosed up here.
:comeback: I hope you're right. I'm gonna see how the lady's feeling this afternoon when I get back from my second job and see what's up. That reminds me, I have a few updates to throw at my definition-of-unqualified-dude-working-at-a-flat-rate-garage thread...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

scuz posted:

Yeah, I'm worried about finding out the price of the furnace :ohdear: The brand appears to be keeping its price levels away from prying eyes, but its efficiency is 96%, which I guess is pretty good. For now, the price of DirecTV is about the same as the payments for the furnace, so it's swapping something I barely use (the TV) for something that will keep us and our cats warm and alive (furnace). That's making me freak out less, which is nice.

wait you're making payments on the furnace? you need to resurrect your BFC thread

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

wait you're making payments on the furnace? you need to resurrect your BFC thread
It was either make payments on a furnace or freeze to death. I have no savings enough to cover any of that by any reasonable measure; I only just started being able to leave money in my savings account at the end of the month thanks to the second job I picked up. I am an old man filled with regret and very few options that don't include faking my death and moving to Nicaragua.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
No shame in overpaying some for quality parts and labor, especially when in a bind. Not to be overly dramatic but a safe working furnace can be a matter of life or death. The old saying goes Good, Cheap, Fast, pick two

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Sorry scuz, I can't blow rainbows up your rear end like a lot of others here. Just because it's more expensive and well-known doesn't mean that the product is good. When I bought a new HVAC unit for my old house, it wasn't done in a time of crisis, so I had time to shop and found prices ranging from $6k-9k for apples-to-apples spec (as much as possible).

Please tell us that you at least bought a good brand name unit that will have value at resale?

CharlesM posted:

Huh, I guess a Chinese knock-off Jeep parts company that's cloning products had the gall to exhibit at SEMA where the original company was showing too.
They got busted and their stuff seized :D
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/sema-2016-counterfeiters-busted-by-us-marshalls/ar-AAjRwzE?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

Is there any info out there about what the specific products shown were? It takes some serious balls to knock off a company's design and show it at SEMA!

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 4, 2016

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
DB11 status: its good

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CharlesM posted:

Huh, I guess a Chinese knock-off Jeep parts company that's cloning products had the gall to exhibit at SEMA where the original company was showing too.
They got busted and their stuff seized :D
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/sema-2016-counterfeiters-busted-by-us-marshalls/ar-AAjRwzE?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp
I know the people at an anime company here, and they have done exactly the above with people selling knock-off merchandise. Wander around trade stands with a bin bag and a "Yes, actually, we can" letter.
As the old tagline had it, "the quality remains long after the price is forgotten". If they really are a good company that does good work, sod it, spend the money. When I got a new boiler (water heater), it was 2-3x what I could have got one for (and that's after getting it for lower than wholesale price, because I knew a guy who worked in the same industrial group), but having spent the previous few years having to fix one thing or another with a cheap crap one... No. Get it done right.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

scuz posted:

The whole story is that I've made some pretty questionable decisions over the course of our ~6 years of dating and this is just the latest.

Well, don't take this the wrong way, but if she did leave because of this it's because the relationship in its current dating form has been stretched over 6 years. At some point you have to figure out if you're in or out. It takes different people different amounts of time, but she's a saint for sticking around for 6 years in the going out game.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

keykey posted:

Well, don't take this the wrong way, but if she did leave because of this it's because the relationship in its current dating form has been stretched over 6 years. At some point you have to figure out if you're in or out. It takes different people different amounts of time, but she's a saint for sticking around for 6 years in the going out game.
100% agreed. I mean to do well, but I screw up in spite of my intentions.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

you should put a ring on it

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

funny Star Wars parody posted:

you should put a ring on it

Perhaps wait for the furnace thing to blow over first.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Well not everyone is good at finding deals.

If she thinks you're doing a poor job at it, then she shouldn't expect you to keep on being the one to make those decisions. She can shop for a hvac contractor same as you can.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna wait to see how the furnace thing shakes out. Besides, she hates jewelry.

e: f, b. This turned out to be quite the expansive topic...

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

Perhaps wait for the furnace thing to blow over first.

sometimes u need to hail mary or in this case hail wifey

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

Explodingsims2@gmail.com

Email sent. Will appreciate all the info I can get.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
It's a rare occasion and I wanna order junk food. But Domino's doesn't recognise my address. One door to the left and two doors to the right are fine, but me and my neighbour are screwed I guess.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
at a bare minimum you should always get 2-3 quotes for contractor work, especially when quotes are FREE.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

scuz posted:

Ugh I need a new furnace. I'm hoping I can limp it along until next year. I don't want to spend like 6 grand immediately.

I also need a new roof, its starting to leak. The quotes I got were for about 12 grand.

And the leech field in my septic system has failed, the county won't issue permits to repair it anymore, only to hook up to city sewage, which is gonna be like 15 grand.

Its gonna have to a home equity loan, I just don't have like 30 grand sitting around.

Thanks Dad for this loving house.

BraveUlysses posted:

at a bare minimum you should always get 2-3 quotes for contractor work, especially when quotes are FREE.

I've only gotten 1 quote so far for each, but I've been calling other companies to get more.

Edit: This is why I haven't done anything on my project cars.

Oh yeah, forgot in addition to all this my washing machine is being recalled too.

alternate.eago fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 4, 2016

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Just got an update on this guy's legal problems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8HZDm8BmbE

As of 1 hour ago "The honorable Judge Sam Glasscock just issued his opinion denying all further claims against Williams."

The good guys won!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

wallaka posted:

The good guys won!
Good news!

Does the US have the thing that the UK has, where perpetual troublemakers can actually be barred from raising legal proceedings against anyone without initial review/permission to say they may?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

InitialDave posted:

Good news!

Does the US have the thing that the UK has, where perpetual troublemakers can actually be barred from raising legal proceedings against anyone without initial review/permission to say they may?

I don't know that that would pass muster here, but you can be cited for contempt of court if you piss the judge off enough by wasting the court's time, certainly.

Also, I know I'm apparently 12 but... Judge Glasscock? Seriously? :haw:

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

keykey posted:

... she's a saint for sticking around for 6 years in the going out game.

I think that's a hilarious and rather old-fashioned stance to take. Other than tax benefits, marriage is positive in what way (over simply being "together for a long period of time")?

EDIT; Actually, naw. I usually just slap some poo poo out there like that to throw my opinion into the ring so to speak, but this time I'm just gonna let it flow.

What the gently caress do you mean "she's a saint"? Marriage isn't a reward women get because they're putting up with a man's poo poo for a long period of time. It's not a prize at the end of the trial, not a guarantee they'll be "together forever". It's also NOT REQUIRED in LTRs.

Marriage is (supposed to be) an announced commitment between to people that they have a long-term relationship they don't plan on ending.

And if Scuz hasn't married his girlfriend yet, she's not a "saint". You don't know her, you don't know him. COULD BE she doesn't want to get married - could be, HE doesn't want to get married. It's not really any of your business. She's not a better person for not pressuring him into it yet (assuming he doesn't want to); that would actually make her an overbearing nag and generally not someone to marry. He's not a worse person for not having done it yet (assuming she wants to); that would make him a weak-willed pushover with no other goals in life.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 4, 2016

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

InitialDave posted:

Good news!

They can't raise any more trouble against this one guy, that's as far as it goes.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Magnus Praeda posted:

I don't know that that would pass muster here, but you can be cited for contempt of court if you piss the judge off enough by wasting the court's time, certainly.
Looks like it does happen in the US, here's California's list:
http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/vexlit.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

funny Star Wars parody posted:

sometimes u need to hail mary or in this case hail wifey
Yes but there's something about Mary...

Magnus Praeda posted:

Also, I know I'm apparently 12 but... Judge Glasscock? Seriously? :haw:
He was a bit of a dildo while in his youth but he turned out alright.

scuz don't overthink it too much man. At worst you just simply paid tuition to the university of life. At best you got a quality job done that will no longer represent a problem. Just be glad that if you did make an error there weren't too many 0's stuck on the end of it. Above all it beats being dead from carbon monoxide.

• Locked thread