Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

axeil posted:

Yeah, the issue is the Constitution doesn't really have a remedy for "acting in bad faith."

Exactly. Which is exactly why an 8-person SCOTUS will be the new standard if Hillary's coattails can't hand the Senate to the Democrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Fire Comey, don’t replace him till the there’s a replacement justice. :colbert:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Platystemon posted:

Fire Comey, don’t replace him till the there’s a replacement justice. :colbert:

Judicial appointment is received by a different senatorial committee than FBI appt, no?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

Judicial appointment is received by a different senatorial committee than FBI appt, no?

No, both go through Judiciary.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Wouldn't matter if it was different committees, since the president could just say "I'm not even nominating someone for X until you assholes do your job and address Y first."

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
The ATF didn't have an official director from 2006-2013, so I'm not sure it would slow their roll. There would just be a series of Deputy Directors (Acting Directors).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ice Cream Barbara posted:

Packingham v. North Carolina has got to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen, and it's an election year.

How so? It raises a mildly interesting constitutional issue.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

What I've been wondering is if you do recess appointments to have a majority, or if you leave it tied to ratchet up pressure because recess appointments make the stories go away and lets your control be reversed the instant you lose an election.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 4, 2016

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Subjunctive posted:

SCOTUS just stayed an execution (Arkansas) -- isn't that super rare? What happened this time?

Just wanted to add here that Roberts seems to be making an effort to return the "courtesy fifth" (which the conservatives, including Scalia, have been breaking from in recent years). The four liberals voted to review, Roberts disagreed, but granted the 5th vote anyways.

https://twitter.com/GregStohr/status/794483901708337153

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

evilweasel posted:

What I've been wondering is if you do recess appointments to have a majority, or if you leave it tied to ratchet up pressure because recess appointments make the stories go away and lets your control be reversed the instant you lose an election.

Step 1: Recess appointment

Step 2: 5-4 decision to find Senate in dereliction of duty

Step 3: Permanent appointment

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Evil Fluffy posted:

Wouldn't matter if it was different committees, since the president could just say "I'm not even nominating someone for X until you assholes do your job and address Y first."

At this point all that will do is make is so we don't have an FBI director.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

I'd love it if Dems win the Senate and Hillary took this as an excuse to say "Oh, you don't agree with a 9 justice court? Fine, I'll be filling 7 vacancies then"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
If the Dems take the Senate and Hilary wins I'm curious how many held up appointments the GOP is going to pass so that Clinton doesn't come in to office and immediately fill dozens (hundreds?) of vacancies the GOP has been forcing for years now, even without getting to the SCOTUS.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Potato Salad posted:

Step 1: Recess appointment

Step 2: 5-4 decision to find Senate in dereliction of duty

Step 3: Permanent appointment

Assuming that the senate can be in "dereliction of duty" (it can't, because the senate is constitutionally empowered to set its own rules), who has standing to sue them?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Wouldn't any 'dereliction of duty' thing before the SC get punted as a political issue that isn't expressly illegal or unconstitutional anyway?

Like the answer is 'pass a constitutional amendment or at least a law forcing consideration within a set period of time.'

Which will never happen.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

It's entirely a political question. The senate as a body has refused consent to the presidents nominee. The political solution is for the senate and the president to find a compromise candidate. It's a political impasse, not a constitutional crisis.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

You assume that the GOP will give any Democratic candidate a hearing. Which they are already getting ready to prevent.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Great job assuming voters would kick people out of office for these stunts, founding fathers. You guys way over estimated our intelligence.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jealous Cow posted:

Great job assuming voters would kick people out of office for these stunts, founding fathers. You guys way over estimated our intelligence.

The founding fathers assumed the people didn't get a say in either the presidency or the senate.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

Wouldn't any 'dereliction of duty' thing before the SC get punted as a political issue that isn't expressly illegal or unconstitutional anyway?

Like the answer is 'pass a constitutional amendment or at least a law forcing consideration within a set period of time.'

Which will never happen.

Depends on how pissed off the Supreme Court gets.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Evil Fluffy posted:

If the Dems take the Senate and Hilary wins I'm curious how many held up appointments the GOP is going to pass so that Clinton doesn't come in to office and immediately fill dozens (hundreds?) of vacancies the GOP has been forcing for years now, even without getting to the SCOTUS.

You mean Obama's appointments?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Ogmius815 posted:

Assuming that the senate can be in "dereliction of duty" (it can't, because the senate is constitutionally empowered to set its own rules), who has standing to sue them?
While I agree a dereliction of duty ruling would be silly and wouldn't happen in practice, I actually feel like a person who is unable to appeal their case to the Supreme Court because it doesn't have a quorum (or perhaps because it doesn't have any members) should have some sort of recourse beyond revolution.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I have a certain amount of trouble summoning much vitriol about this; if anyone who breaks ranks to confirm is gonna be out on their rear end in the next primary, they are indeed obeying the will of the people they represent, who don't want a democrat-appointed justice to replace a conservative one.

It's rather my belief that the problem lies in that a single committee of a tiny fraction of the voting body can bottle up any issue and keep it from a straight up vote on a whim like this.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Jealous Cow posted:

I'm pretty sure "keeping democrats from filling Scalia's seat with anyone to the left of Scalia" is what Republican voters actually want though, sort of like how "fill Scalia's seat with someone who will tilt the balance of the Court as far left as possible for as long as possible" is what D&D wants. Whether on not they should want said things is a different conversation.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

Which will never happen.

There is already a law that requires 9 justices on the SCOTUS and the Senate outright refusing to even consider a nominee is an active violation of said law. Considering the country is definitely harmed by a SCOTUS that keeps having 4-4 results there'd be standing to sue, surely? The courts would still probably punt though.

duz posted:

You mean Obama's appointments?

Yes. As much as the GOP hates Obama I can't imagine they want to deal with a chance of Clinton getting to immediately fill tons of vacancies if she has a friendly Senate. :freep:THE CLINTON GOVERNMENT MACHINE:freep: is going to be a far worse thing to them than evil kenyan muslim commie obummer's picks.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

GreyjoyBastard posted:

How so? It raises a mildly interesting constitutional issue.

A felony for browsing Facebook is nuts. I can't believe this would even be an issue but here we are I guess.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

There is already a law that requires 9 justices on the SCOTUS and the Senate outright refusing to even consider a nominee is an active violation of said law. Considering the country is definitely harmed by a SCOTUS that keeps having 4-4 results there'd be standing to sue, surely? The courts would still probably punt though.

The same law set the quorum implying business can still be done with fewer than the complete number of justices.

Paraphrasing someone else said in the thread, there's no constitution provision for acting in bad faith. This is a political question and political brinkmanship. There's no legal or constitutional question here at all unless we were to lose another 3 justices.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Let's simply let the justices die out and dispense with this notion of courts, supreme or otherwise.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm pretty sure "keeping democrats from filling Scalia's seat with anyone to the left of Scalia" is what Republican voters actually want though, sort of like how "fill Scalia's seat with someone who will tilt the balance of the Court as far left as possible for as long as possible" is what D&D wants. Whether on not they should want said things is a different conversation.

But a functioning nomination process would seemingly lead to mostly moderates being nominated right? It seems like the threat of obstruction just leads to a stronger desire to get in the most whatever candidate you can.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
the constitution doesn't state how the senate gives consent, and the president can just say "by not saying no you consented" and do a jerking off motion with his/her hand

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

the constitution doesn't state how the senate gives consent, and the president can just say "by not saying no you consented" and do a jerking off motion with his/her hand

SCOTUS probably wouldn’t buy that argument at the moment, but let a couple more vacancies go unfilled and they would.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Too bad 200+ years of constitutional practice belies this argument

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

euphronius posted:

Too bad 200+ years of constitutional practice belies this argument

there's never been a pocket veto of any nominee

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

there's never been a pocket veto of any nominee

There not what you were talking about

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

euphronius posted:

There not what you were talking about

yes it is

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yes. As much as the GOP hates Obama I can't imagine they want to deal with a chance of Clinton getting to immediately fill tons of vacancies if she has a friendly Senate. :freep:THE CLINTON GOVERNMENT MACHINE:freep: is going to be a far worse thing to them than evil kenyan muslim commie obummer's picks.

It is true that they should be beginning the transition to wistfully wishing they had someone reasonable, like [previous Democratic President]. They were just so much more reasonable than [current Democratic President]. I mean, they were wrong, but they were so willing to compromise and consider the position of the Republicans, unlike the current tyrant.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Whatever you win

It's not justiciable anyways

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Platystemon posted:

SCOTUS probably wouldn’t buy that argument at the moment, but let a couple more vacancies go unfilled and they would.

I think the GOP is banking on the next vacancy being RBG. Then they can "compromise" and approve one conservative and one liberal justice.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I think the GOP is banking on the next vacancy being RBG. Then they can "compromise" and approve one conservative and one liberal justice.

Just like how conservative Rehnquist and liberal O’Connor were replaced by conservative Roberts and liberal Alito.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Platystemon posted:

Just like how conservative Rehnquist and liberal O’Connor were replaced by conservative Roberts and liberal Alito.

quote:

Initially, her voting record aligned closely with the conservative William Rehnquist (voting with him 87% of the time her first three years at the Court).[34] From that time until 1998 O'Connor's alignment with Rehnquist ranged from 93.4% to 63.2%, hitting above 90% in three of those years.[35] In nine of her first sixteen years on the Court, O'Connor voted with Rehnquist more than with any other justice.[35]

Later on, as the Court's make-up became more conservative (e.g., Anthony Kennedy replacing Lewis Powell, and Clarence Thomas replacing Thurgood Marshall), O'Connor often became the swing vote on the Court. However, she usually disappointed the Court's more liberal bloc in contentious 5–4 decisions: from 1994 to 2004, she joined the traditional conservative bloc of Rehnquist, Antonin Scalia, Anthony Kennedy, and Thomas 82 times; she joined the liberal bloc of John Paul Stevens, David Souter, Ginsburg, and Stephen Breyer only 28 times
liberal O'Connor