Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Let me know if a more reputable site than mother Jones picks up that story. I don't disbelieve but I want to post about it and I can't really use them as a source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

What happened to keeping your plans secret so the enemy won't know, Trump? Now you're no better than Obama!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

Why DOES Clinton get these weirdos like Podesta and Penn in her operations? She has a lot of great people, but I feel like Obama didn't have these problems with staffers sending optically bad emails and looking dumb. Of course maybe he would have if he had been hacked.

Pretty much this. Also, I'm sure the Trump campaign would have far, far worse stuff, but hackers don't seem to be interested in them for some reason.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

A Winner is Jew posted:

I kinda have to agree with this.

If MattD1zzl3, who shall be known from now on as "racist rear end in a top hat", wants to post here he can until a mod steps in and stops him. Now this doesn't mean that any post from racist rear end in a top hat should be given the time of day by other posters, or that racist rear end in a top hat's opinions should be given equal weight to other posters, but racist rear end in a top hat is perfectly fine to post here.

This is 100% fair and a good post.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

MattD1zzl3 posted:

This is 100% fair and a good post.

I'm glad we can come to an understanding you racist rear end in a top hat.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

DaveWoo posted:

Yes, some truly devastating stuff.

https://twitter.com/nxthompson/status/794642496634703876

(This is actually from a separate release by the Dept of State, the FBI hasn't officially released anything yet about the emails it found.)

These leaked emails are "humanizing" Clinton more than all the silly market research.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Alternately racist rear end in a top hat can be barred from posting in USPOL, thus making the thread an immeasurably more enjoyable reading experience

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Lemming posted:

Telling the FBI you found their bug sounds like a mistake

They didn't find a bug

quote:

The second sweep, according to the Democratic officials, found a radio signal near the chairman's office that indicated there might be a listening device outside the office. "We were told that this was something that could pick up calls from cell phones," a DNC official says. "The guys who did the sweep said it was a strong indication." No device was recovered. No possible culprits were identified.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Geostomp posted:

If, by some horrible miracle of Supply Side Jesus, Trump got elected, the damage he'd do would make us all nostalgic for Dubya's mere well-intentioned incompetence.

W was agentically terrible. He acted with competent malice. Don't let Trump's cartoonishness distract from the quotidian cruelty of the Bush Administration.

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

DaveWoo posted:

Pretty much this. Also, I'm sure the Trump campaign would have far, far worse stuff, but hackers don't seem to be interested in them for some reason.

:tinfoil:

Also that picture of Jon Favreau (from Keepin it 1600) grabbing the cutout of Hillary's boob is probably all you need to know that Obama's campaigns emails would have poo poo that UNAFFILIATED HACKERS would want Deplorable Len to be tweeting.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

Let me know if a more reputable site than mother Jones picks up that story. I don't disbelieve but I want to post about it and I can't really use them as a source.

What's wrong with Mother Jones? :confused:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Necc0 posted:

They didn't find a bug

Telling the FBI you found know about their bug sounds like a mistake

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

GalacticAcid posted:

W was agentically terrible. He acted with competent malice. Don't let Trump's cartoonishness distract from the quotidian cruelty of the Bush Administration.

Did you get a word of the day calendar?

Quotidian?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Donkwich posted:

I don't know, it's worked well for Scientology so far

Same strategy as North Korea with Dennis Rodman too.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

withak posted:

LOL @ Hillary Clinton wanting to know what time The Good Wife is on.

I think Hillary is literally Princess Carolyn in real life.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
so wait this election literally has a watergate in it?

I'm done see you guys Wednesday.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Cingulate posted:

It's based on past voter behavior I am sure.

This seems like it could result in some bad assumptions, especially in states that are experiencing rapid demographic change.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Lemming posted:

Telling the FBI you found know about their bug sounds like a mistake

"Weird... it seems like the radio signal is coming from Special Agent Johnson's pocket. Oh well, the place is clean, no bugs here."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Donkwich posted:

It's viewed as the left equivalent of the Washington Times, even though that is not a fair equivalency.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Magres posted:

Alternately racist rear end in a top hat can be barred from posting in USPOL, thus making the thread an immeasurably more enjoyable reading experience

Don't think I don't want racist rear end in a top hat to be barred from posting in USPOL, far from it. But until a mod bars racist rear end in a top hat from posting in USPOL then unfortunately racist rear end in a top hat is free to post here.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ignoring the question of if it's true or not: that the world has been on a consistent, long-term trend for the better - with exceptions -, and that e.g. ancient Rome was a much worse society than contemporary USA is controversial ITT because
- it sounds to some like ignoring, or even apologizing, faults of contemporary US society
- because it sounds like telling a story of history as the progression of White men from living in the swamps to having iPhones, while, through all of this history, gaining their riches by stealing from everyone else
- because - on a more global scale - it can be understood of arguing for the world as is as being perfect and not requiring further progress; that if you are currently not a privileged member of Western society, you have nothing to complain about because, hey, you're not living quite as bad as a Helot!

Am I understanding this correctly? Not trying to argue, I'll not try to rebut you if you correct me.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Donkwich posted:

i dont like when media outlets like cnn try to appear unbiased, because reality has a left wing tilt! but i also dont like when media outlets do journalism that clearly favors a party, because that's nakedly partisan and therefore untrustworthy. news should only be delivered in fifteen second sound bytes by former daily show correspondents.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Donkwich posted:

Seconded, they seem like a competent group. Their recent investigative reports on private prisons and border militias have been outstanding.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

This seems like it could result in some bad assumptions, especially in states that are experiencing rapid demographic change.
The problem is you don't really have another option. You can either assume your samples (states) are fully independent - which is wrong and will lead to artificially increased certainty - or you can try to come up with some measure of their correlation. drat it if you do, drat it if you don't - but generally, you want to assume correlation somehow.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

greatn posted:

It's viewed as the left equivalent of the Washington Times, even though that is not a fair equivalency.

It is kind of funny because Mother Jones is probably less overtly biased than Fox News, which is still considered credible in most circles.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

zen63 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlzBMh99rls

Wow people booing the utter poo poo out of Obama, the best president in history because of his support for her. I never thought I'd see that - maybe NC is just a lovely state full of assholes?
Are you serious? That audience is incredibly rude, but they are booing Trump, not Obama.
Here's a slightly better and longer version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHn9JcWERYc

Edit: Maybe not? I have no clue anymore.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 4, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

zen63 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlzBMh99rls

Wow people booing the utter poo poo out of Obama, the best president in history because of his support for her. I never thought I'd see that - maybe NC is just a lovely state full of assholes?

https://twitter.com/jonathanweisman/status/794643428751581184

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

A Winner is Jew posted:

I kinda have to agree with this.

If MattD1zzl3, who shall be known from now on as "racist rear end in a top hat", wants to post here he can until a mod steps in and stops him. Now this doesn't mean that any post from racist rear end in a top hat should be given the time of day by other posters, or that racist rear end in a top hat's opinions should be given equal weight to other posters, but racist rear end in a top hat is perfectly fine to post here.

It seems to me that, in this case, "you are not welcome here" means "you are a racist rear end in a top hat who should not be given the time of day by other posters," not "I am under the delusion that I am a mod and have the power to prevent you from posting."

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Cingulate posted:

The problem is you don't really have another option. You can either assume your samples (states) are fully independent - which is wrong and will lead to artificially increased certainty - or you can try to come up with some measure of their correlation. drat it if you do, drat it if you don't - but generally, you want to assume correlation somehow.

I'd say probably another way to do it would be by more fine-grained demography and relative support among those splits (education, sex, race, geography, etc.) for each candidate including voting trends.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

Is Mother Jones also supported by a freakish cult that I don't know about

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

BarbarianElephant posted:

Gay marriage was not a wholly liberal issue, because rich and powerful people can also be gay and have gay friends and family. There were some gay conservative groups pushing for gay marriage. Of course, in 20 years time, it'll be all the noble conservatives pushing through gay marriage against the vehement protestations of the bigoted liberals (who came up with Don't ask, Don't tell!)

The push for gay marriage came out of the AIDS epidemic when victims were dying and their partners couldn't be with them in the hospitals.

Back before Stonewall, there was the Homophile movement, which was assimilationist and was primarily led by white cisgender men. After Stonewall happened, there was a lot of friction within the gay rights movements between the older generation of gay men, who tended to play respectability politics, and the younger, more diverse crowd who weren't interested in assimilation and having to hide their queerness.

poo poo's complex.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Dirt posted:

The plot thickens:
https://twitter.com/LizMair/status/794643052845559808

This election is crazy and I can't wait for it to stop.

Also something tells me that the FBI won't be much help here

I feel like that story is a lot of hot nothing trying to ride the atmosphere of campaign paranoia. They didn't even find a device, just a signal or something that may have been a device after two separate sweeps. I'm getting really sick of undercooked stories banking entirely on innuendo. Trump's supposed internet connection to Moscow, the Brett Baier Clinton Foundation indictment, all the millions of stories backed entirely by a single anonymous source with dramatic allegations. loving stop, news media.

Half the reason this election seems so "crazy" is because our news media is reporting every loving rumor as if it were breaking news. The other half is Donald Trump is running for President.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/AriBerman/status/794652203546013696

The fix is in out

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Here's a better video of Obama responding to the heckler, without that stupid "Obama loses it" headline:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/794631777746829312

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Is there enough time for NC to appeal this?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Didn't al-Baghdadi already hightail it out of Mosul? Not that Trump would know that. Or who al-Baghdadi is. Or anything in particular.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Thank god for the courts

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

DaveWoo posted:

Yes, some truly devastating stuff.

https://twitter.com/nxthompson/status/794642496634703876

(This is actually from a separate release by the Dept of State, the FBI hasn't officially released anything yet about the emails it found.)

She really is America's awesome grandmother. I can't wait for fresh baked pies on the White House windowsill.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

WampaLord posted:

Did you get a word of the day calendar?

Quotidian?

:confused: it's a pretty common word?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I don't recall Viking ever identifying as black so I'm sure they're in the clear.

Thanks for doing this. I'm going to stay out of that thread because I'm sure it would be an insta-ban for any black poster, but you know my feelings on the issue and I trust you

I posted in that thread. I guess I prove my point if I get banned or anything but I'm more worried more mods just means "more of the same" tbh. At least a racially biased mod who's barely around still probates us less.. in theory anyway.

• Locked thread