Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

AriadneThread posted:

although i do distinctly remember plato's republic talking about how certain kinds of people are 'natural slaves.'
Plato had the worst political opinions. He lived in one of the earliest democracies (well, if you allow them not letting most citizens, e.g. no women, vote ...). Athens had just put his adored Socrates to death, and they had lost a war against Sparta. So Plato hated democracy. He wanted a rule of the philosopher kings over everyone else. In this ideal society - the best society that could ever be! - the vast majority of people was essentially enslaved, and Plato thought that was for the better. It was even in the slaves' best interest to be enslaved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Is Mosul literally the only place in the ME he knows the name of?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

DaveWoo posted:

Yes, some truly devastating stuff.

https://twitter.com/nxthompson/status/794642496634703876

(This is actually from a separate release by the Dept of State, the FBI hasn't officially released anything yet about the emails it found.)

I'm convinced Killery is a robot. Also the FBI is turning into the stasi working for Trump/GOP.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 4, 2016

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Main Paineframe posted:

I don't know about anyone else, but my biggest qualm is that "better" can mean a tremendous amount of things and packing the entirety of the worldwide human condition into a single word is so absurd as to be virtually meaningless. The other problem is that it implies a sort of inevitability - if you claim that things have always just gotten better with the passage of time over the entirety of human history, that comes with the unspoken addendum that things will inevitably continue to get better regardless of what people do. And of course, the basic assumption that everything has gotten better forever can definitely be challenged - for one thing, industrialization has allowed mass torture and murder on an unprecedented scale.

what i've read about the changes in lifestyle brought about by the agricultural revolution certainly fits that, too
farming means more food stability, more people can live in a smaller area, the ability for larger groups to organize and specialize their labors beyond sustenance practices, allowing well, civilization
it also stunted peoples diets, shortened their lifespans, further incentivized the extortion of the many for the benefit of the few, helped solidify divisions in labor between men and women and subsequent social status that still exist to this day, etc., etc.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Dirt posted:

The plot thickens:
https://twitter.com/LizMair/status/794643052845559808

This election is crazy and I can't wait for it to stop.

Also something tells me that the FBI won't be much help here

What the loving hell? I slack on following my political news feed for a few days and suddenly the ghost of Nixon is back and humping the loving furniture?

Help me find some balance here - how much of this actually has legs and how much of it is the Left priming a similar stolen election narrative?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RVProfootballer posted:

I did not find it offensive, fwiw. I just think there are many measures by which we have not had consistent progress over time and that they are still the kinds of things we are trying to work on today as societies, so they are relevant.
Yeah, to you I mostly wanted to say that I don't mean to say it's not a bumpy road. We had Nazi rule, WW2 and the holocaust just in the last century. Only the long-term trend is good, not all short-term trends.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

citybeatnik posted:

What the loving hell? I slack on following my political news feed for a few days and suddenly the ghost of Nixon is back and humping the loving furniture?

Help me find some balance here - how much of this actually has legs and how much of it is the Left priming a similar stolen election narrative?

two unnamed sources talking about mysterious emanations from a device they never recovered, it's probably nothing

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Nessus posted:

So what happens if, like, McCrory decides to cancel the election or gets the lege to ram through some kind of thing like South Carolina had in the past, where the state's electors are determined by the legislators? To be clear for those with weak stomachs, this is mere speculation, I am just curious what the fallout of something like that would actually be. Obviously the Republicans would endorse it as good because it helps them, if perhaps with some defections...

he's already looking forward to going back to his pr gig at duke energy, and probably a lobbying position down the line, so he has zero interest in cancelling elections

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Why is it people keep claiming that Hillary wants to abolish the second amendment? Is there any substance to this claim or is it just poor informed chucklefucks spewing ignorant garbage?

All I can find suggests that she supports gun control , but doesn't plan to amend the constitution. Further reinforcing the idea that gun control to a lot of people seems to mean "gun confiscation."

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The NRA and the GOP have turned any notion of gun control into "THEY WANT TO TAKE OUR GUNS".
There's no basis for it in reality, it's just one of their wedge issues, along with abortion.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

zxqv8 posted:

Why is it people keep claiming that Hillary wants to abolish the second amendment?
She's a Democrat.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

zxqv8 posted:

Why is it people keep claiming that Hillary wants to abolish the second amendment? Is there any substance to this claim or is it just poor informed chucklefucks spewing ignorant garbage?

All I can find suggests that she supports gun control , but doesn't plan to amend the constitution. Further reinforcing the idea that gun control to a lot of people seems to mean "gun confiscation."

Republicans are horrible, awful people

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

zxqv8 posted:

every democrat wants to abolish the second amendment

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

i wish

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

trump's closing argument:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vST61W4bGm8

is this a good ad, i'm not an ad person

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Young Hegelian posted:

I don't know anything about 4th Circuit federal practice, but I would guess there's absolutely a chance that the 4th Circuit could issue an emergency stay. My Con Law professor described the 4th Circuit as "where rights go to die."

that was true before obama flipped it

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I wouldn't have a problem with altering or removing the second amendment. We don't have a constitutional right to own guns, yet amazingly we still can, with very reasonable restrictions!

Banning gun ownership entirely would be bad, though.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
So, wait, when Trump was talking about Clinton's scandal being worse than Watergate, was he projecting his own bugging operation?

E: I also agree Nate Silver is shook, a poll came out showing Clinton +18 in Virginia (+14 after adjustment) and it dropped her overall percentage .4%.

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

that was true before obama flipped it

Absolutely true, and if you know more about the 4th Circuit and/or federal appellate practice, by all means weigh in. I'm 6 months out of law school and practicing state court on a different coast. I just know that emergency stays are a thing that I've heard of, and that there are some real pieces of work on the 4th Circuit. Totally don't know how much damage they can do.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

PT6A posted:

I wouldn't have a problem with altering or removing the second amendment. We don't have a constitutional right to own guns, yet amazingly we still can, with very reasonable restrictions!

Banning gun ownership entirely would be bad, though.

It's not a simple thing to resolve. There's no putting that genie back in the bottle, really. There are more guns in this nation than there are people, and anyone who thinks the Dems are comin fer the guns hasn't really put a moments thought into the logistics of such an operation.

Of course, not putting a moment's thought into things seems to be disturbingly common in electoral politics.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

two unnamed sources talking about mysterious emanations from a device they never recovered, it's probably nothing

Ah, that makes more sense I suppose. Just conflated it with the talk of Giuliani's thing about the FBI leaking poo poo to Trump.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Sky Shadowing posted:

So, wait, when Trump was talking about Clinton's scandal being worse than Watergate, was he projecting his own bugging operation?

E: I also agree Nate Silver is shook, a poll came out showing Clinton +18 in Virginia (+14 after adjustment) and it dropped her overall percentage .4%.

Wait, is it Trump who bugged them or FBI? I thought it was FBI....

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

OgreNoah posted:

I finished taking my professional exam (LEED AP BD+C) and now can spend my time mindlessly reading this thread again. Now my huge amounts of anxiety are only coming from one source, lovely polls.

Don't worry friend! Hillary is crushing the Cheeto in Nevada early voting to the point that she is almost certain to win it (iirc she's up like 10 points with 48% of the state RVs having voted by now), and if she takes NV then he has to take every swing state and flip a Blue-leaning state.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'd honestly be kind of mad if my boss was on a computer and emailed me to remind them to do something when they get home. You're on a PC in the 21st century Grandma. There's dozens of ways to remind yourself to do something when you get home without having your assistant call you!

Google "The Good Wife Schedule" It's faster than emailing someone.

Personal assistants exist for reasons like that.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Sky Shadowing posted:

They hosed up the order. Roanoke posted 3 VA polls, +7 +18 and +9 temporally, but posted the +18 last; so having "lost 9pts" made it a downward trend for Clinton and thus a loss.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Lemming posted:

Republicans are horrible, awful people

They're also dumb since guns were never taken away once in the 8 years of Obama.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Just paid $23 to get my ballot back to Denver on time, rest of the state better do the right thing.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Fox news poll out: from 44-41 3 weeks ago to 45-43 (in Clinton's favour both).

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Why settle for locking up Crooked Hillary? Surely the Corrupt Media should also face justice for their many crimes against America:
https://twitter.com/scottbix/status/794660103521783809?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

Honestly I just want to take guns away from (non-swat) cops.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'd honestly be kind of mad if my boss was on a computer and emailed me to remind them to do something when they get home. You're on a PC in the 21st century Grandma. There's dozens of ways to remind yourself to do something when you get home without having your assistant call you!

Google "The Good Wife Schedule" It's faster than emailing someone.
It's a generational thing. Well, and a bit of being used to people employed full time to assist you with random poo poo like picking up skim milk.

Last week the screen to my mom's laptop stopped working, she is a few years younger than hillary and she called me (from her iphone) to ask me if there were any repair places nearby her that could handle it, so I looked one up (on my android phone, during the call) a couple miles from her and texted her the details.

I'm sure when I'm in my 60s i'll have younger people bugging their eyes out at me when I insist on writing something on ~a keyboard~ instead of just installing a brain dictation app into my cortex interface or whatever

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

I couldn't get past 10 seconds. Trump needs to stop popping his P's or at least stop gobbling the mic.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

fishmech posted:

A lot of people feel a lot safer if they fill out a ballot at a designated polling place and put it into a counting box by their own hand, rather than putting it in the mail.

We have strategically placed ballot-deposit boxes in WA. At least in King county (Seattle and its major suburbs), I don't know how much it varies within the state. But they're pretty heavy duty secure IME

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

stone cold posted:

seeing how the article was about the DNC was reporting it to the FBI they'd have to be pretty loving stupid to do that if anyone suspected the FBI of doing it

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

stone cold posted:

Sorry, I just read 'bugged office' and immediately assumed the most funny thing.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

Has there ever been a time when Trump said something about Clinton that was not true about himself?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

On the one hand, I don't like to look at static and quickly flickering images.
On the other hand it makes it look like the youtube account of a crazy paranoid guy who wants to expose the Goldman sax Jewish conspiracy mind control globalization secret trade war. So I guess it gets the message across?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Apraxin posted:

Why settle for locking up Crooked Hillary? Surely the Corrupt Media should also face justice for their many crimes against America:
https://twitter.com/scottbix/status/794660103521783809?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

It sure would be nice if he got booted out of office but North Dakota :shrug:

E:

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

seeing how the article was about the DNC was reporting it to the FBI they'd have to be pretty loving stupid to do that if anyone suspected the FBI of doing it

My bad fair enough, thought it was DNC reporting the FBI, not to the FBI

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

I've got a question for the thread on the extent of Robert Byrd's involvement in kkk/white supremacy.

I was talking with a group of friends yesterday about American racism, particularly Duke's support in Louisiana. An anti Hillary friend brought up her relationship with Byrd and claimed he was the longest serving kkk/WS senator and then went on to claim he was a/the national kkk/WS leader for decades. When I got home, I read wiki/snopes on him and learned a little about his past history (mostly 30-50s) with the movement and his later 100% approval by the NAACP for his support of voter right act & civil rights act. I also saw a bunch of briebart articles on the subject but refuse to give views to that trash can . I'm curios to what extent this dude was a shitbyrd and to what capacity he changed. Was he just a complex dude who tried to atone for his past racism poo poo or was he a racist who put politics before his own personal lovely beliefs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

zxqv8 posted:

Basically, the Second Amendment has three competing interpretations.

The first one is the federalist interpretation-the Second Amendment exists so the federal government can't just tell a state that it can't have its own armed forces, and thus it guaranteed the right to "keep and bear arms"-which meant the right to possess, and use, military armaments for military purposes. This is the one which is most commonly advanced by legal historians.

The second is the collective/"well-regulated" interpretation-the Second Amendment guarantees some form of individual access to arms, but is not a guarantee that you are allowed any sort of weapon for any purpose, and comes with an explicit allowance for the government to restrict said. This is basically the compromise one which comes up a lot in Democrat talk.

The third one is the conservative interpretation-the Second Amendment gives a right to own guns with minimal oversight and government interference, kind of like the interpretation of the first amendment. This is a very recent interpretation-you literally cannot find any published 2A legal analysis which supports this interpretation until the 1960s.

A liberal Supreme Court could technically go back to the Supreme Court's prior legal decisions and reinstate the federalist interpretation, which would make the 2A literally worthless, because under the federalist interpretation California could decide tomorrow "every single gun is banned forever" and that would be perfectly valid. They could also in the alternative decide that the Second Amendment isn't incorporated-that is to say, it only affects the federal government, not the states. Again, in that interpretation Cali could ban all guns forever and it would be valid.

So basically, it's not abolishing the Second Amendment. It's overturning cases which enshrine a specific interpretation of the Second Amendment. And this isn't even something Clinton has promised-it's something that the justices she appoints could do, if they wanted to enough.

MJ12 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 4, 2016

• Locked thread