Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Kinda surprised at how many people bought the game after seeing this LP. Never thought that'd be the case.

With that in mind, if you missed the halloween steam sale for it, DD is on sale at GoG now: https://www.gog.com/game/darkest_dungeon

Red Hook also posted some interesting metrics about their one millionth game sale as well: http://www.darkestdungeon.com/1-million-copies-and-the-road-ahead/

I do gotta say, centralized modding via Steam would be great for the longevity of the game but mods in general for the game don't look hot at all. Its also interesting to see that they are alluding to another game. Hopefully they do something cool like a videogame version of Arkham Horror or something.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Highwang posted:

Kinda surprised at how many people bought the game after seeing this LP. Never thought that'd be the case.

With that in mind, if you missed the halloween steam sale for it, DD is on sale at GoG now: https://www.gog.com/game/darkest_dungeon

Red Hook also posted some interesting metrics about their one millionth game sale as well: http://www.darkestdungeon.com/1-million-copies-and-the-road-ahead/

I do gotta say, centralized modding via Steam would be great for the longevity of the game but mods in general for the game don't look hot at all. Its also interesting to see that they are alluding to another game. Hopefully they do something cool like a videogame version of Arkham Horror or something.

There was an overhaul mod that added a ton new classes that looked interesting, but an update broke it.

Two class mods I enjoy are the Offering Mod and the Maiden mod.

The Offering is a former sacrifice that had her heart and face replaced by horror. This turns her into a brick wall that debuffs the front enemy row.

The Maiden is a healer/crowd control that has a pistol for when she has nothing else to do. I will say both classes make the game easier though, so use at your own risk.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 28: The Long Haul

Our first long mission, and we're bringing along our new friend Veloxyll. I had initially planned to count how many times I wish I had Iron Swan in this video, but that requires :effort:

Long missions are pretty harsh; they're a drain on your resources and every bit of HP/stress damage taken feels more persistent since you're in this for the long haul. Sustain is key if you wish to survive the ordeal, which is why I often prefer to bring Jesters to these missions.

Also, if Chitlin sounds a bit off since last episode, he's been dealing with a head cold but also wanted to get a backlog going before he had to take care of some business.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I never leave home without Iron Swan. There are just so many terrible 4th slot enemies you just want dead now and not later.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Don't Starve is good, but I'd want there to be a multiplayer version of the Caribbean game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

... that town event is why I always beeline for lvl 2 treatment ward. It doesn't matter that it's probably a wasted investment, it just feels so good getting 2/3 heroes' quirks locked in.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I don't think there's anything wrong with Early Access specifically, it's just that a lot of people use it poorly or abuse it to make money off of products that are clearly not worth selling yet. And that's more an issue with Steam in general having no real standards. And on the flip side there are a good amount of games that have benefited form the constant stream of criticism, this game in particular being a shining example of that.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Oh boy! The free use of the sanitarium for both the treatment center and the medical ward! That means that Highwang is going to finally take care of a few of those diseases right?

...Right? Wang?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I can picture it now...

"Oh, so you want to be out in the field so much? Fine! Into the Darkest Dungeon with you, whiner!"

"...of course, he threw me out before I could tell him where the antidote was, so, joke's on him."

-K. Dragoon, Dungeons I Have Known And StayedThe gently caress Away From

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Highwang posted:

Our first long mission, and we're bringing along our new friend Veloxyll. I had initially planned to count how many times I wish I had Iron Swan in this video, but that requires :effort:

Yayayay...wait no Iron Swan D: D: D: (7 that you mention, by my count)

Also, you had 2 diseased people and free disease cure.

Also, way to scout the first hall without using the antiquitarian to click all the things.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Iron Swan is my bread and butter. It just feels so good to do a full strength rear-row hit sometimes.

Nalesh posted:

A good thing to remember when first starting out is that retreating to save items is okay :v:

Yeah, I know. I was just egged on by the knowledge that there was a party wipe chievo and all my characters were at resolve level 1 or 0. I just wish I knew that the only way to retrieve those trinkets was by having at least one party member living. And also that apparently the collector doesn't count as a boss for the OTHER party wipe chievo.

The Marquis
Apr 19, 2013

Highwang posted:

Count me in that number too. I've been lurking since the start and it took me from being ambivalent to super stoked to grab it on sale.

Valahmalah
Jul 22, 2011

Who are you people?
Darkest Dungeon and Don't Starve are the only games I have bought in steam early access, and I certainly don't regret it. However these days the word of mouth for a game would have to be incredible for me to even consider buying early access, too difficult, time consuming and expensive to sort the corn from the chaff. Rather just wait until its done and polished.

Both games suffer from burn out once you master or more likely something bullshit happens so you stop playing for a while, but I keep returning to them. They both have a "fair" difficulty curve once you learn from your mistakes, and to me Darkest Dungeon in particular boils down to enjoyable risk management.

The two bandit and two musket-men fought in this mission have a special place of distain for me as they were the cause of my first full party wipe. Mission complete, two afflicted heroes, out of torches at 50% light, one more fight won't hurt. Five failed retreats later, valuable trinkets lost in piles of disposable meat called heroes. Didn't return until full release.

Iron swan don't leave home without it, minimises sharing of terrible wine and its headaches. I don't like the hellions stun, losing damage and dodge, as well how inconsistent stuns can be without the right trinkets in the later game. Too much of a dangerous crutch for me.

Also these people are fighting horrors, give them better healthcare, cure their diseases while its cheap (or free dammit!), else they might unionise or something.

Really enjoying the LP so far Wang.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Highwang posted:

Long missions are pretty harsh; they're a drain on your resources and every bit of HP/stress damage taken feels more persistent since you're in this for the long haul. Sustain is key if you wish to survive the ordeal, which is why I often prefer to bring Jesters to these missions.

Also, if Chitlin sounds a bit off since last episode, he's been dealing with a head cold but also wanted to get a backlog going before he had to take care of some business.

First mission I get to go into (the name's fine by the way), and I go insane. :sigh:

I will say, I've definitely gotten the itch to go play this again, renaming the victims adventurers after my friends. And possibly Highwang and Chitlin.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
drat Highwang, are you trying to start a disease collection or what?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I bought the game too because of this LP, it's great. Sometimes a little unfair though- my houndmaster went from 0 to 130 stress in the span of two battles because a pig critted him and gave him the worries, and then the two stress cult witches in the back spammed him. He was 80 stress at the end of that fight, and the next one also had two stress witches who focused him down. And then the idiot refused all the camp stress heals too.

E: These weren't long drawn out fights either- 3, 4 turns max.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Hey guys remember when I was trying to make this LP comprehensive?

The Crew

The Drowned Crew is the second boss fight of the cove, and operates on a mix of tricks that both the Hag and the Siren employ. You and your team's capacity to adapt will be tested in this fight, since the Crew is really good at taking allies out of place, stacking on stress, and in general being a very durable and hard to whittle down boss.

The Crew's main gimmick is that, so long as its alone, the captain will take a free action to use All Hands on Deck which will summon a Drowned Anchorman and pull a random unit of yours to the forefront. This Anchorman will also come spawned with his own action, which will be used to bind a hero in place with Heave To!. Now an important thing to note: When an Anchorman is spawned, he starts with >50% PROT and when he uses Heave to it will impart this PROT to the Crew. Along with that caveat, the idle and towing Anchorman are two totally different enemy spawns, so Marks and Hexes will drop once he uses Heave To. Now with further complications, once the front-line unit is anchored down, he will begin taking stress damage every turn along with the main Crew regenerating HP from this stress, giving the boss a remarkable form of durability.

Alongside the main gimmick of the fight, the Crew also gets two actions each turn. Amusingly enough, each dead boy on the crew represents these attacks. The captain's attack is Mutiny, a one-damage attack that will reduce one of your heroes' attack power and crit rates. The large zombie will use Boarding Clutch, which does a decent amount of damage alongside with a two-damage bleed DoT. Finally, Tequila zombie will use Drink with the Dead to further add Stress damage to the people on your team.

In order to prepare for this fight, you really want a team that combines high damage and stress management. With the crew taking up three spaces during the fight, you want a front-line that does heavy damage along with a support team that can remove stress and still deal damage. Lepers and Crusaders are great front-line fighters; Lepers are tornadoes of damage, while Crusaders have anti-unholy traits to fight off the Crew along with his own stress removing skill to provide backup. A jester is highly recommended since he can keep the hooked person within manageable stress levels, buff your team's speed & crit rates, and provide stress resist with some of his camping skills. Healing isn't absolutely required here, so an Arbalest is also a great back-row character for her damage and backup healing. Both the Jester & Arbalest are also really good at running away if they ever get hooked, so formation rarely becomes a problem. While its useless for the gimmick, Holy Waters are pretty good for the fight for resisting the Crew's debuff and bleed stack as well.

The fight itself is going to be a dance of knowing when and who to attack. Once the Anchorman is summoned, he has the 50% prot until he hooks someone which then goes to the crew until the anchorman's death. With that in mind, you need to attack the crew itself until someone gets anchored, then take out the anchorman ASAP in order to reduce the Crew's healing. One important thing to mention is that a hooked hero is not entirely out of the fight, so he can still attack the anchorman when the time comes. It wasn't demonstrated well in the first fight, but this fight requires good management of damage mainly due to that healing factor. This fight is mainly a drawn-out slug fest more than being an overtly lethal fight, so you really want to make a durable team that can take many small hits rather than a glass cannon that breaks after one mistake.

An interesting thing about this boss is that it also has many great ways to lame it out. The first one, if you're lucky, is that anyone who has a Virtue affliction will 100% block the anchor, keeping the anchorman alive but not buffing the Crew, and completely negating the boss' gimmick. Another way to lame out the boss is to use a high-proc Move skill in order to pull the crew forward before the Anchorman can act, and since the anchorman cannot act in rank 4 he then becomes a non-issue. Heave To also counts as a physical attack, so if you're willing to gamble then an extremely high-dodge hero can stave off the anchor for a while.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

The Prophet

The Prophet is the second fight of the Ruins, and was also Red Hook's ultimatum for dealing with poor balance issues in regards to move/back row skills. This fight is a mix of reactive defenses, long-range assaults, and demolition if you're feeling a little greedy.

The big gimmick of the Prophet is his free-action Calamitous Prognostication. This move marks a rank with an attack that occurs at the end of turn, when said rank gets hit with Rubble of Ruin for heinous amounts of damage. While the initial gimmick is a big threat, the other half of this fight involves positioning; The Prophet is in rank 4, behind several pews, and everything in this fight has maximum move resist. It is, by all means, impossible to move him. For that, you will either need to stack long-range abilities in order to attack him from afar, or use the meat grinder mindset to bash your way across increasingly durable pews. The Prophet also has two other attacks, each not as threatening as the ceiling collapsing on you. Fulminate is a party-wide AoE that does little damage but also hits you with a Blight proc; its meant to finish anyone off that's hanging on death's row at the time. His other, more threatening attack is Eye on You, a stress attack that can target 1-2 people randomly and can also stun them as well.

Preparing for the prophet is going to rely entirely on your team composition. Since the prophet marks a position and not a target, you can do a couple things to prepare for this. If you wish to completely subvert the called shot gimmick, you can use a Man-at-Arms or a Houndmaster to protect the target along with making them way more survivable. You can move the protection every turn as well so there's no worry of commitment, however I will say using a MaA is preferred to a Houndmaster since the former will reduce the damage to manageable levels via PROT while Houndmaster utilizes Dodge which is all or nothing. Alongside that, just moving your heroes can help out if you don't want a hero on Death's Door to be hit by rocks.

As for attacks, it all depends on what you want out of the fight. If you want to just kill the prophet outright, there's a wide bevy of skills available to handle that: Hellion's Iron Swan, Arbalest's Sniper Shot, Graverobber's Knife, Highwayman's Pistol, Bounty Hunter's bleed and Plague Doctor's blight all do great jobs at hitting him far in the back with little issue. If you want to go the meat-grinder route however, you want either Lepers, Hellions or Abominations on point since they can dish out damage hard and fast.

And that's really all I got for this fight. Its very straightforward and simple. Just Iron Swan him until he dies.

Trivia: The Pews are the only "enemy" type in the game with the CARPENTRY enemy type. Killing them nets you treasure that's worth 1250g, and each one doesn't stack. Honestly hard to say if its worth doing so past the first one, but hey its extra cash.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
You need to put Daemon's Pull on one of your occultists sometime. It's great for neutralizing back-row enemies since it moves them and clears corpses at the same time, so even if they resist the move they might still be moved up because the corpses go away. Not to mention, even with a -50% damage modifier the occultist is still a high-crit damage machine and back-row enemies tend to be squishy.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

I used to think Lepers were the worst possible class to bring to the Prophet until I actually did it by mistake. Turns out they're woodchoppers extraordinaire and are going to soak up a few rubble hits with their massive healthpool just by standing at the front.
The actual worst class to bring to the Prophet is the Jester. He does nothing here.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

ZeroCount posted:

I used to think Lepers were the worst possible class to bring to the Prophet until I actually did it by mistake. Turns out they're woodchoppers extraordinaire and are going to soak up a few rubble hits with their massive healthpool just by standing at the front.
The actual worst class to bring to the Prophet is the Jester. He does nothing here.

The Jester can buff everyone on the first turn or so with Battle Ballad until someone blows up a pew and moves the Prophet forward, but you'd be better off with someone who can hit the Prophet from anywhere.

Once again, the Occultist makes short work of this fight since he can completely neuter the Prophet's damage output with a few debuffs. The Prophet doesn't have any substantial debuff resistance, so one debuff boosting trinket should make it an auto hit. After a round or two the damage output of the falling rocks should be small enough that the rest of your team can either blow up the pews, or just kill the Prophet depending on your options.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The other use of the Jester is he has the most movement skills in the game I'm pretty sure, so you can use him to put people under the rubble who'll be able to survive it, but that's not a very good use of him anyway so he's still the worst class to bring.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

The other use of the Jester is he has the most movement skills in the game I'm pretty sure, so you can use him to put people under the rubble who'll be able to survive it, but that's not a very good use of him anyway so he's still the worst class to bring.

better to bring a houndmaster with protect ally then.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Just started playing the game.

Wow, it is hard.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Samovar posted:

Just started playing the game.

Wow, it is hard.

it's got that dark souls hard where it's brutal until you see the code. After that it's just punishingly difficult.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
The trick is to realize you can't actually lose. You'll suffer setbacks, sure, but the game won't end. Hero dies? Get another one off the stagecoach. Trinket lost? It just returns to the pool to be found again. Have to retreat from a mission? Only means one week passes. Once you understand people are expendable, you're unstoppable!

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 29: Comical Odds

Today's mission goes way longer than it should because no one could hit their drat target. Also, Chitlin and me lament the lack of a new arrival in the cove.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the vestal is the good cop (pious, prayer, holy inspiration) to the plague doctor's bad cop (blight, drugs, plague association) - both healers. The Crusader is the Good cop to the bandit's bad cop. Both brawlers.

I'd guess.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

In the Darkest Dungeon, the first hurdle is seeing the enemy...

The real weirdness comes when the same composition has multiple titles depending on order.
Including, IIRC, the starting lineup.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Highwang is crap on not liking multi target powers, there are trash mobs that those are just great for clearing and clearing fast.

Also to taunt you, had a run, 21 paintings on it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

On the topic of supplies and other info, I've made an excel file with all the stuff I regularly look up when playing the game. Might as well share.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yaaiqqaqvv8y7if/Darkest.xlsm?dl=0

download it, dropbox' online display messes with the formatting a little. Also mostly is just info from the wiki I copy-pasted that I didn't want to open every time I wanted to look something up; the provisions are taken from Damp's spreadsheet. One run you'll end up with too many bandages or whatever but overall I found it a good resource.

I've taken a break from the game so this is just rotting on my hard drive. Might as well share.

double nine fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 7, 2016

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

double nine posted:

On the topic of supplies and other info, I've made an excel file with all the stuff I regularly look up when playing the game. Might as well share.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yaaiqqaqvv8y7if/Darkest.xlsm?dl=0
Just gonna shove that right there in the OP.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Isn't Ennui pronounced 'On-wee'?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Samovar posted:

Isn't Ennui pronounced 'On-wee'?

It is. Don't expect Highwang to pronounce anything correctly.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Easiest cannon kill to date, it only summoned matchmen the entire drat time.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

Highwang is crap on not liking multi target powers, there are trash mobs that those are just great for clearing and clearing fast.

Also to taunt you, had a run, 21 paintings on it.

I'd say it's worth having at least one attack that can deal damage to the two front row members- a 23 on a one health enemy is a waste if you can deal 4 to it and 4 to the one behind it. Given those choices, unless I desperately need to roll for a crit for stress removal, the low numbers win.

Also this game is great- I love how you can package it up into bite size full segments of quests and not have to block out a stupid portion of your day to properly enjoy it.

Also, just fought the prophet, misread the valid slots on a bounty hunter on my double bounty hunter party. Front guy sat there being useless the entire fight. The prophet didn't even deign to do anything to him.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
On the subject of Vestal accessories, there's a +25% healing (-10% Max Hp) book for them that is much more appealling to me than the scroll because losing their stun power is a pain. I've not found the same kind of +stun for Vestals that Crusaders and Houndmasters can get either, sadly.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Having a good time with a veteran team of arbalest, occultist, highwayman, and jester. murder dance.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BurningStone posted:

The trick is to realize you can't actually lose. You'll suffer setbacks, sure, but the game won't end. Hero dies? Get another one off the stagecoach. Trinket lost? It just returns to the pool to be found again. Have to retreat from a mission? Only means one week passes. Once you understand people are expendable, you're unstoppable!

You can lose if all your heroes die, and you haven't upgraded the stagecoach to bring enough heroes for a full party. But since most people probably upgrade the stagecoach as soon as possible, it really shouldn't happen very often, so the only real setback is that you probably won't be able to get the achievement for beating the Darkest Dungeon in X weeks or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

You can lose if all your heroes die, and you haven't upgraded the stagecoach to bring enough heroes for a full party. But since most people probably upgrade the stagecoach as soon as possible, it really shouldn't happen very often, so the only real setback is that you probably won't be able to get the achievement for beating the Darkest Dungeon in X weeks or less.

The stagecoach will always have enough heroes to bring you up to 4, even if you haven't upgraded it. An easy way for that to happen is to lose someone in the tutorial, there will be 3 or 4 heroes when you get to the hamlet.

• Locked thread