Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

When I was young, it was Pod People.

For a while I dropped paying attention to the show. Then sometime around 2008 I was browsing TvTropes (this is way before I found out all the :stonk: stuff about it) and saw a link to something called "Manos". And with that click I was back in the gang.

Page Snype: My favorite Episode 1 sketch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NacFWgA--kA&t=5662s

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

kiimo posted:

What was the first MST3K episode you watched? Or I guess hooked you?

First thing I saw was the movie, first full episode was The Brain That Wouldn't Die, and I was hooked from there.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I don't remember the first episode I saw, but I remember that we didn't have cable so some friends would record it and we'd bike over to pick up the VHS tape and return the previous one.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
My first episode was the second half of The Castle of Fu Manchu. First full episode was Master Ninja II, which is probably why it's still one of my favorites.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

kiimo posted:

What was the first MST3K episode you watched?
Season one, episode one on The Comedy Channel. I was 8 years old. poo poo was life changing.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

monster on a stick posted:

Welp.

At least they have noted comedy writer Felicia Day.

Paul Chaplin, Bill Corbett, and Mary Jo Pehl also contributed to the writing. Plus Bill and MJ and Kevin Murphy are doing cameos as Pearl, Brain Guy, and Bobo.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
When I was around 10 years old my brother and sister rented the movie.n Yes, I got brought in by the movie.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Which of the writers are returning to the Netflix show?

Elliot Kalan (Daily Show) too.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I saw "Chicken of Tomorrow" and was instantly hooked. As a kid, I watched the movie probably 100 times.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

tvgm2 posted:

Elliot Kalan (Daily Show) too.

And if you listen to Elliott on the Flophouse podcast, you'll see he's absolutely perfect for the job.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Also, a lot of people hate on the Felicia Day choice, but as awkward as The Guild is, it is the kind of weird, hit-or-miss, filmed awkwardly and often badly timed humor that was present in the original host segments. I actually think she's a good fit for the show :shobon:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

kiimo posted:

I watched it from the first episode on The Comedy Channel, but The Crawling Hand got me hooked when they made the Def Leppard joke.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I was too young to remember my exact first episode, but the episode that hooked me was Girl in Gold Boots. To this day my father and I reference "I'm back!"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I got into MST3K pretty young, probably around 13 or 14, but it was probably well after I'd seen it for the first time. So we were already into Mike territory by then. I had seen it earlier than that but I didn't really get it. Just seemed like dumb old movies to my brain. I couldn't even begin to tell you what episode hooked me though.

I watched the show pretty religiously for the last few seasons but it wasn't until a few years later when it was readily available online that I finally managed to take it all in.

X-O fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 4, 2016

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I remember catching a host segment on the comedy channel and having a flashback to the local late night movie hosts (two guys with jumpsuits and hard hats trapped in a sewer with movies fighting giant rats) and thinking that this could be just as good. Then they went into the theater and poo poo got real.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

kiimo posted:

The answer to both for me is Pod People. I clicked into it when the Mads were doing the public-domain karaoke machine bit, but the when Joel pointed out (correctly) that one of the poachers looked like he came from a Renaissance Festival and they all shouted "HUZZAH!" when he pulled out the crossbow, I knew I was hooked for life.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

The answer to both for me is Pod People. I clicked into it when the Mads were doing the public-domain karaoke machine bit, but the when Joel pointed out (correctly) that one of the poachers looked like he came from a Renaissance Festival and they all shouted "HUZZAH!" when he pulled out the crossbow, I knew I was hooked for life.

Speak Middle English.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

ringu0 posted:

Jack Frost

"This is a test of the emergency broadcast chicken"

Me too! Didn't know what I had found, but I knew I loved it. They had me with "Frodo gets drunk and screws with the neighbors."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

kiimo posted:

Mine was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8xguNziN4o

First episode I saw was "Untamed Youth" at one friend's house, then later a different friend showed me "Manos".

And I hated the show.

Then my sister came home from college with a Turkey Day marathon on tape and made the family watch "Mitchell", and it finally clicked for me, and I was hooked.

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015
I was a kid when it was on Sci Fi, too young to remember my very first episode but I know that I was hooked instantly. The earliest episode I can remember watching back then was Giant Spider Invasion. My dad and I were in love with it and it was our regular Saturday thing. If he wasn't home I'd watch it without him and draw a picture of my favorite joke.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Mine was one of the Gameras, but I think The Amazing Colossal Lasagna Man is what got me in.

EDIT: Also Space Travelers/Marooned was not a bad movie :colbert:

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 5, 2016

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think my first was Fire Maidens of Outer Space (Timmy!). But I think I really got hooked on my next episode Attack of the the Eye Creatures.

Hmm. I wonder when those aired? [Googles...]
Oh god, I'm old.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mitchell is great because it wasn't low budget at all. Just horribly misguided.

Why would anyone want to do this with Mitchell? Why??

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I think first one I saw was Godzilla vs Megalon. You can blame Jet Jaguar for turning me into a Mistie.

A friend of mine in college told me about this great show where a guy and some puppets made fun of movies, and it sounded great. I think the first episode I caught part of was the Beatniks, but it was also Godzilla vs Megalon that hooked me.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Pod People was my first, also on the Mystery Science Theater Hour. We didn't have cable or satellite. I'd heard of the show somehow before that, and saw in the TV Guide (print edition, remember that?) that it was going to be on over-the-air TV, so I checked it out and was instantly sold.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

kiimo posted:

The first airing of Boggy Creek 2. And I died.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I very much can't remember my first MST3K episode. I know that we were channel flipping when we were like "What's this? What's with the silhouettes on the bottom of the screen?" and that it was during season 4, towards the end of the Joel era, because once I figured out what it was, I watched a lot of while I was out of school sick (I was in the second grade and had Kawasaki disease, so I was bedridden a lot).

I remember when it really clicked for me, my whole family my dad, my mom, me and my two brothers, were watching one, and riffing along with the bots. I don't remember the movie, but it had a giant lobster in it. At one point, the movie soundrack got a bit dramatic and I sang "Somewhaaaaaare, over the rainbowwwww," and then Servo did the same riff about a second and a half later, and that was when I decided it was my show. :unsmith:

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
My first one was the end of Fugitive Alien, followed by Catalina Caper, on Turkey Day '91. I think Daddy-O was in there somewhere, too. That reminds me, the "Pants-Up Song" sketch is another good one.

First episode I ever saw debut was Warrior of the Lost World, which remains a favorite of mine.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
My best friend of many years tried describing it to me once, and I didn't get it. Then one night, my mother was watching CTV, and I hear "Why don't you lick me?!" She looked at me and asked what in the hell she was watching, I put two and two together (although I was unaware that this was The Movie), and proceeded to nearly die laughing at NORMAL VIEW! NOR-MAL VIEWW! NOR-MAAAAAAAAAAL VIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW!

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Manos was my introduction to it, then I checked out some of the other Rhino stuff out at that time: Eegah, Mitchell, The Crawling Hand, The Atomic Brain. Of which Mitchell was probably the best. Somewhere along the line I found out SciFi was still rerunning it, and the first chance I had to check those out it was Final Sacrifice and Boggy Creek II, which convinced me I had to see every episode.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Welp.

At least they have noted comedy writer Felicia Day.

They have Elliot Kalan (former Daily Show head writer and, more relevantly, co-host of The Flop House podcast) as their head writer, and they have Paul Chaplin pitching in from time to time. It's not going to be the old show but it'll probably be fine.

kiimo posted:

I had heard of MST3K from Space Ghost Coast to Coast and from my random poking around on the internet, but I never knew how to watch it. One night, I'm channel surfing, and I somehow luck into turning on Sci-Fi Channel the exact second "Revenge of the Creature" had premiered. Literally: <click> <drum lead in> "In the not-too-distant future..." "Oh cool, I finally get to see what the deal is with this Mystery Science Theater thing!"

I actually remember the exact riff that sold me on this show: "Riss off, ruster."

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

DivisionPost posted:

I had heard of MST3K from Space Ghost Coast to Coast

Now I want to see a version of MST3k with Space Ghost, Zorak, and Brak.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Now I want to see a version of MST3k with Space Ghost, Zorak, and Brak.

Thanks for making me sad.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
I was living in Minneapolis (my first and horrific year of grad school; thank gently caress they threw me out) and caught occasional bits of the show on its backwater home channel -- my roommate and I would hit up KTMA because it showed a lot of rebroadcasts of childhood braincandy stuff, much needed to wind down after the departmental bollix and stuff we were slogging through. It reminded me of when my oldest brother and I would watch monster movies on Saturdays when I was growing up, and he'd make fun of the films to keep me from being scared (he's about 12 years older than I am). Joel and Trace Beaulieu are pretty close to my brother(s) in age, so a lot of their riffs on older shows and films, toys, and products reminded me of growing up with much older siblings and their tastes/inheriting their toys, even though I'm way younger.

Don't recall any one particular film from there, just the comforting goofiness, then got chucked out of UMinn, moved across the country, didn't have cable TV for a year or two, and then ended up with a roommate who sprung for cable that included Comedy Central -- took a little while to realise the adverts they had were for the talk-to-the-film puppet show from Mlps (CC had a way of advertising some shows that made their super obnoxious and not at all what the show's premise was), and realised during a compilation thing my roommate was watching that Teenagers from Outer Space was the same show, albeit with changes, that we'd been watching a few years prior. So I guess that would have been around 1992? that I rediscovered it, and eventually managed to catch up with the previous couple of years since they were showing older complete episodes every night and then the new ones on Saturdays.

I distinctly recall working in the library on my work-study project, bored out of my mind, and thinking, 'gently caress this, I have a new MST3K on video, I'm outta here' (and I had the theme song stuck in my head, which didn't help my concentration).

(Even though I didn't have a very good experience at UMinn, the Peter Graves :smug: riffs always did make me laugh. I have no idea where the natatorium is.)

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
First I ever saw was the movie, but didn't really realise what it was it til years later when I started watching all the shorts on YouTube. Then I watched I think Manos and Space Mutiny and went on from there.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Timby posted:

First thing I saw was the movie, first full episode was The Brain That Wouldn't Die, and I was hooked from there.

Yeah, something like this for me too. The local video store had the movie and a random smattering of the early single episode releases. At the time i was just slightly too young to consistently stay up late enough to catch it airing on SciFi, though I distinctly recall watching at least one episode on TV: Diabolik. Possibly the original airing, even.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

My mom could see the nerd in me and told me its ether MST3K or Dr.Who shes not going to deal with both. It was 1992 and I had no idea what those were.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
I only got into it a few years ago. I forget the details but I MUST have looked up Manos The Hands of Fate through something else and I found the episode on YouTube and somehow fell in love.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Weirdly enough the first for me was the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

OldTennisCourt posted:

Weirdly enough the first for me was the movie.

Same! I think I said that too. Good times. I've exposed so many friends to it, because despite what is said otherwise, I find the movie is a great way to ease people into mst3k