Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wait, why would you want to turn them off? This is a massive improvement over SMS, making it more like iMessage, etc

Because I don't want to know if someone read my message or not and I don't want them to know that I read theirs. Personal preference. It's a goony answer, but I get overly anxious over poo poo like "they read the message but didn't reply, oh jeez, why" and try to avoid it. Same reason I avoid posting on social media. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I know quite a few non-Goon people IRL who hate messaging apps that show if they've read a message or not. Apparently we live in an age where entire relationships can fall apart based on knowing that you read their funny cat meme message but you didn't respond quickly enough or at all.

With that said I don't get a choice in the matter because V E R I Z O N.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
el oh el at goons who actually think (Google's) RCS will one day replace SMS: http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/11/04/the-rcs-mirage-advanced-messaging-is-a-mess-in-the-us-and-googles-standard-is-just-one-more/

How did SMS ever become a thing? :iiam:

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

IAmKale posted:

How did SMS ever become a thing? :iiam:

It's a simple universal standard that works on any phone with any OS on any carrier out-of-the-box and was developed when we had to use T9 to type out messages. It's not much of a mystery at all!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I can't really get myself to care about RCS unless SOMEHOW Google links allo and hangouts and SMS and does the big old iMessage clone, which I know they won't.

Also, as I'm typing this, I would like to point out on a brand new Google Pixel that allo comes up as a misspelled word yet Google keyboard will autocorrect case in iMessage.

Google in a nutshell right there.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

bull3964 posted:

I can't really get myself to care about RCS unless SOMEHOW Google links allo and hangouts and SMS and does the big old iMessage clone, which I know they won't.

Also, as I'm typing this, I would like to point out on a brand new Google Pixel that allo comes up as a misspelled word yet Google keyboard will autocorrect case in iMessage.

Google in a nutshell right there.

Doesn't the Pixel come with Messenger and Duo installed, and no Allo? 'Cause that's Google in a nutshell.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Luchadork posted:

It's a simple universal standard that works on any phone with any OS on any carrier out-of-the-box and was developed when we had to use T9 to type out messages. It's not much of a mystery at all!

I don't think you're answering the question. The article he linked talks about how carriers are making all their own incompatible versions of RCS...your answer does not explain how come they did not (continue to) do this with SMS.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Luchadork posted:

Doesn't the Pixel come with Messenger and Duo installed, and no Allo? 'Cause that's Google in a nutshell.

No, it comes with all three pre-installed and hangouts disabled.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I just want my messaging to work in a browser too. Is RCS going to be that? I don't care if it does the stupid Hangouts thing of splitting convos if they're SMS vs messaging (though that isn't ideal), I just want one messaging app for my phone and computer that can also do SMS.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RVProfootballer posted:

I just want my messaging to work in a browser too. Is RCS going to be that?

Nope!

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

bull3964 posted:

Oh my god

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Android.txt

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I don't remember seeing this in the thread, sorry if I missed it.

https://twitter.com/juberti/status/792147047726002176

I've never used iMessage first hand, but I thought the main selling point was that it seamlessly works with regular SMS. What the heck?

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

bull3964 posted:

For what it's worth, my Project Fi Pixel XL had all three and hangouts was not disabled. But Fi also uses hangouts for messaging by default instead of messenger.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Reacean posted:

For what it's worth, my Project Fi Pixel XL had all three and hangouts was not disabled. But Fi also uses hangouts for messaging by default instead of messenger.

lol

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
If I wanted to pick up a cheap google cardboard VR headset, what free apps/videos should I check out just to amuse myself with the VR experience for a little while? If I found it enjoyable enough, what paid games should I then look into to get more out of it?

If it matters I have the Sony Xperia Z3v which is Verizon's version with mostly Z2 guts and an upgraded camera.

Edit: since I'm here, is there a free file manager people prefer? File Commander is always bugging me to upgrade.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

davebo posted:

Edit: since I'm here, is there a free file manager people prefer? File Commander is always bugging me to upgrade.

I use Solid Explorer. Works good enough for me to go in and delete files from my download folder. I don't do any fancy network browsing, but it has the options.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I don't think you're answering the question. The article he linked talks about how carriers are making all their own incompatible versions of RCS...your answer does not explain how come they did not (continue to) do this with SMS.

The answer is that SMS became a thing by virtue of how cellphones work. In order for a device to be registered to a cell tower, it must maintain a heartbeat on that tower. Without going into technical detail, this heartbeat meant that there was room for a very simple service that would allow for 160 characters to be offloaded and delivered every few seconds to any device registered to the network. Routing would be trivial (on the same network) because of the very nature of what that heartbeat was designed to do, which was maintain a connection to the device for routing but it's also why the protocol was so limited. It was never intended to be a messaging service of any kind but due to its technical nature was "free" so of course carriers moved to monetize it.

Now a bigger issue was internetwork operability. Routing between two devices on the same network was trivial but routing between two devices on different carriers was a nightmare for years. It didn't really get to be reliable in the US until the very late 90s and on the network end there are many ugly kludges that were forged to make it work, but carriers did so because data networks didn't exist and as noted this was free bandwidth that was being monetized to the tune of $.10/message so there was huge incentive for carriers to get interoperability working.

You'll find with RCS that there isn't this incentive for interoperability and it's also why SMS will probably not go away until every carrier has switched to packetized voice over a pure data network. SMS is too ingrained and, as it says in the name, simple to give up. It's the closest thing to a free service that there is and now that the hard work of network interoperability has been done there's really no reason to tear it down.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I'm not sure where to post this but I am absolutely fed up with the Spotify mobile app on Android. Ever since upgrading to Android 6.1, the notification widget seemingly randomly either disappears or stops responding. In order to get the thing to reappear, I have to manually go into settings/applications and force stop the app. It'll work fine after I do this for maybe a half hour or so or until I leave the app unattended to for an extended period of time, whichever comes first. I've tried everything I can think of to fix this. I've cleared the cache, wiped all data and reinstalled, forced android to optimize/not optimize the app and wiped my playlists and tried different ones. The only thing I haven't tried is a factory reset and I really don't want to do that for one app.

Has anyone had trouble with Spotify like this, and what is the secondary option for music streaming on Android? Or better yet, is there a way I can run Spotify through something like Poweramp? I'm about ready to chuck my phone through the window.

I've gone in circles with Spotify support, they are of no help at all.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

This is definitely not the answer you're looking for, but you could always just switch to Google Music from Spotify. It works well.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Personally I just started using Play Music for streaming and I'm happy with it.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Taffer posted:

This is definitely not the answer you're looking for, but you could always just switch to Google Music from Spotify. It works well.

That's definitely something I'm considering. I'm assuming the libraries are similar enough?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CascadeBeta posted:

That's definitely something I'm considering. I'm assuming the libraries are similar enough?

My girlfriend made the switch with me and has no complaints.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CascadeBeta posted:

I personally found it better than spotify for the music I listen to.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The radio thing is really really good

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

The radio thing is really really good

Is that the part they got when they bought Songza? Yeah it's awesome.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CascadeBeta posted:

It has everything I want to listen to personally. Besides some really obscure SoundCloud artists, but I just go to SoundCloud for that. (SoundCloud also owns)

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Taffer posted:

It has everything I want to listen to personally. Besides some really obscure SoundCloud artists, but I just go to SoundCloud for that. (SoundCloud also owns)

Yeah absolutely. There's a free trial anyway so no harm in trying. I just have to remake my playlists. :negative:

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

CascadeBeta posted:

Yeah absolutely. There's a free trial anyway so no harm in trying. I just have to remake my playlists. :negative:

That's the biggest difference I think. Curated playlists are almost always Spotify, not in play. I have seen some extensions that try and convert them, but haven't had much luck. Also haven't tried in quite a while so maybe it's better now?

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

CascadeBeta posted:

YouTube adfree/Red/bgplay/whatever being included makes it a great deal even if you're mostly in it for music, especially if you have enough people to do the $15 for 6 member "family" plan.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

sweart gliwere posted:

YouTube adfree/Red/bgplay/whatever being included makes it a great deal even if you're mostly in it for music, especially if you have enough people to do the $15 for 6 member "family" plan.

YouTube red is amazing.

I'm splitting a family plan with friends. Well worth it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Hangouts has been driving me crazy for the latest couple of versions because any group chat that has a custom name now displays a blank contact icon. I know at least one friend who's seeing the same behavior. Godfuckingdammit, Hangouts team, stop adding poo poo like "/shruggie" and fix things

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

Hangouts has been driving me crazy for the latest couple of versions because any group chat that has a custom name now displays a blank contact icon. I know at least one friend who's seeing the same behavior. Godfuckingdammit, Hangouts team, stop adding poo poo like "/shruggie" and fix things

Yeah this is annoying. Does creating a new conversation and renaming it cause the icon to disappear?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Yeah this is annoying. Does creating a new conversation and renaming it cause the icon to disappear?

Just tested it and, yep, it does the same thing. I've also tried creating a contact with the group's name to see if that might work (it didn't).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

Just tested it and, yep, it does the same thing. I've also tried creating a contact with the group's name to see if that might work (it didn't).

Hey it's only been two updates since the one that introduced the bug. I'm sure by mid-2017 this will be something we'll look back on and laugh (because Hangouts will have only gotten worse in ways we can't imagine right now).

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Hey it's only been two updates since the one that introduced the bug. I'm sure by mid-2017 this will be something we'll look back on and laugh (because Hangouts will have only gotten worse in ways we can't imagine right now).
We'll all be using Google Gutentag by then anyway.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
drat, I thought I was the only one with that issue in hangouts. Glad I'm not alone at least.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What recommendations are there for RSS readers that work with Feedly? I've been using gReader Pro for quite a while, but as I mentioned recently, the readability feature (when you double-tap an article) has stopped working. For a while it would show some article in Greek about the EU, now it shows some article in I think Portuguese about a Brazilian musician. This seems to be a problem with the app itself, since if I disable both Google Mobilizer and Readability Mobilizer, the problem persists.

What I'm looking for, beyond the ability to work with Feedly, to be able to show feeds oldest first (both in the overview and per feed), the ability to mark a whole feed as read with one tap (two taps if absolutely necessary), and marking an article as read when I view it. I'm currently trying out Feedly's app, and it's working OK, except I'd prefer to start on the list of feeds rather than a list of all the articles (so I guess that's one more preference).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 234 days!)

I loved/hated Hangouts from v8 on. It was nice being able to group my SMS and G+ chats together. Welp.. Does anyone recommend anything that can once again do similar? Having ICQ/AIM/etc would be neat, but highly unnecessary in 2016.