Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Debating on which jersey to get with the WS patch, the entire team is so adorable I can't pick. Probably after the rally I'll go with Rizzo, but Bryant is going to be a huge huge star and is also adorable his goofy face making the final out :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Bilirubin posted:

Debating on which jersey to get with the WS patch, the entire team is so adorable I can't pick. Probably after the rally I'll go with Rizzo, but Bryant is going to be a huge huge star and is also adorable his goofy face making the final out :ohdear:
I bought a Schwarber jersey when they were WS-bound, and now that they won I went ahead and bought a Bryant jersey with the WS champions patch. My wife was ok with both but I'm guessing I used up my Cubs merchandise purchases for the next year...

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

HOTSTOVE BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I kind of wish the Cubs would not extend a QO to Fowler just as a parting gift. On the other hand, I would be fine throwing some money at him since he's one of the reasons the team has the depth to use other players in creative ways so maybe it'd help them re-sign him?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

One of the informal conditions to his current deal was that they would not do a QO again, I read.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Still can't believe the whole "Jason Hayward rallied the team during rain delay" thing. That's just too goddamn cliché.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

CubsWoo posted:

Forbes saying the Cubs have tripled in value since the Ricketts family bought it for $850 million in 2009, post WS the valuation is now over $2.5 billion.

Oh no, how will they pay Fowler and Arrieta and Chapman now? :ohdear:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

These jeans :stare:
https://twitter.com/AChapman_105/status/794572365149638656

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

They were a little too skinny for him to get into so he choked them until they fit! :downsrim:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Atomizer posted:

Oh no, how will they pay Fowler and Arrieta and Chapman now? :ohdear:

We don't want them to pay Chapman though?

Make some token offer since it's expected and then let him walk and sign Jansen even if Jansen has the QO on him.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Requesting a Cubs victory avatar with the quote "How about this poo poo?"

EDIT!: Actually, the rizzo "omg" face with that quote would be sweet.

Miz Kriss fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 4, 2016

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

lol, look at those chicken legs.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

lol, look at those chicken legs.

Somehow they support his massive rear end.

Edit: also, I forgot about this. I was doing yard work the day of game 5, and found a random baseball in the yard.

Brought inside and was basically using it like a stress ball through the next games.

Guess that ball can never leave my house now :v:

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 4, 2016

Bob Saget IRL
Oct 24, 2014

What's the deal with QOs? The team that signs Fowler would lose a draft pick or something to the Cubs?

Also, i forgot to dvr the parade. Is there a nother way for me to watch?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

someone should have given a mic to travis wood

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I know all fan bases are in their own way terrible but it seems like no one whines like Cardinals people.

https://twitter.com/BestFansStLouis/status/794661381719097345

How are you so weepy about the Cubs that you write an article for Time about how sad you are.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Bob Saget IRL posted:

What's the deal with QOs? The team that signs Fowler would lose a draft pick or something to the Cubs?

Also, i forgot to dvr the parade. Is there a nother way for me to watch?

A team can extend a QO to a player who's entering FA and played the entire season with that team. The terms of what the QO contract is are set at the beginning of the season, I believe it's currently $17.2m/1y. If the player declines the QO and elects to enter FA, then the team that ultimately signs the player surrenders their earliest draft pick to the team that extended the QO.

The system exists - in theory - to protect small market teams that can't afford to compete with richer teams. Even if the Yankees swoop in and dump $200m on all your talent that just hit FA, they have to give you their draft picks so you can at least restock the farm and hopefully stay competitive. In practice though it has a nasty tendency to gently caress over non-super star players who elect FA because of how valuable draft picks are seen as, particularly now with how much younger talent is getting at the major league level. Fowler got absolutely hosed by both a strong FA market and the Cubs QO last year, and when he came back it sounds like there was a gentleman's agreement that the Cubs wouldn't extend another QO to him so he could have a better chance of getting paid this offseason.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Chexoid posted:

I know all fan bases are in their own way terrible but it seems like no one whines like Cardinals people.

How are you so weepy about the Cubs that you write an article for Time about how sad you are.

It's funny how all the Cubs homerism lately has only barely reached the point of irritating me (not really yet) but saying the word Cardinals instantly triggers a bad taste in my mouth and an urge to defecate.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Even if you wanted Cleveland to win over the Cubs you have to admit it's pretty great making so many Cardinals fans pissy.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Popete posted:

Even if you wanted Cleveland to win over the Cubs you have to admit it's pretty great making so many Cardinals fans pissy.

Pancakes is cool, but he's also not a member of the BFiB crew so yeah. And that comes from me, the saltiest of posters.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Could he whine any harder then that?

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
I got back from vacation an hour ago and I've spent that time watching highlights of game 7. I hadn't gotten to see all of it but we caught parts in the hotel. It was fun to watch it with my mom and hear her swear really forcefully when Rajai hit that homerun.

I'm really wondering what this Cubs victory is going to do to the White Sox and their offseason. I really hope Reinsdorf actually commits to one way or the other and not the same old "sign some veterans who underperform and trade away some prospects and never go anywhere ever". Theo and the Cubs showed that actually having a plan is a pretty good idea!

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Why is that guy bitching about spending when in his own loving example the Cardinals went from a $110MM payroll in 2012 to a $115MM payroll in 2013

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CubsWoo posted:

Why is that guy bitching about spending when in his own loving example the Cardinals went from a $110MM payroll in 2012 to a $115MM payroll in 2013

Uh...this is not a particularly good criticism of that ridiculous piece.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
17 months is the blink of an eye now?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
He also contradicts his whole "bought" the championship by pointing out we acquired Heyward for a ton of money. Not that he hasn't contributed but not nearly to the amount he is being paid.

How many teams have we seen with massive payrolls that haven't even made it to the WS? Not to pick on the Dodgers but I mean come on.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Chexoid posted:

loving :lol:

Yeah, pure dollars are the best measure of "earning" your wins.

He's on point about the Eddie Vedder song, though. Of course, I hate everything he's associated with that's not the Cubs.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Popete posted:

How many teams have we seen with massive payrolls that haven't even made it to the WS? Not to pick on the Dodgers but I mean come on.

Cubs had the seventh-highest payroll in the league in 2007 and lost 96 games.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/local/215601786-story
drat

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

Timby posted:

The 2014 Phillies spent $178 million on 89 losses.

E: don't the Cardinals get extra "small market" draft picks every year?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Farchanter posted:

those picks are for playing the game the right way

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

The Cubs, a team built of free agents, no homegrown talent, no drafting.

edit: lol the Cardinals are a top 10 payroll and like one good free agent's salary below the Cubs.

beejay fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 5, 2016

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Timby posted:

I don't think you have the right year

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

From that page I got to here:

http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/local/215585924-story

Which contained this:

https://twitter.com/belizevacation/status/794603225705943040

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Chexoid posted:

:bang: This is exactly what I was talking about when I was saying this:

Pancakes posted:

I'm sure I'll be guilty of this in time as well, but Cardinals fans complaining about how the Cubs winning the Series makes them feel reeks of the same kind of privilege that leads to MRA's, arguments for "White History Month", Young Republicans holding "Reverse Affirmative Action" bake sales, etc. We're not the best of friends between our respective fanbases but the morning after is way too early to start complaining. For once the Cardinals aren't the best team in their division. Somehow I think we'll all still survive. Let them have their moment.

Please keep the rivalry friendly, people. Have fun with it, sure, but assuming that the Cardinals are the only team that plays, manages or enjoys baseball correctly is exactly why the fanbase gets lampooned. There's no asterisk next to a flag just because it's not in St. Louis. You can complain about the Cubs, certainly. I'm going to be pissy about some of their season for a while. That Ball 4 to Rizzo was a strike, dammit, and pitching Holliday too far inside cost us seeing his 300th Home Run and 2000th hit this season (and they likely won't come as a Cardinal now). This was a frustrating read for so many reasons. "The traitorous Jason Heyward"? Please. The Cardinals are indirectly responsible for free agency after mistreating Curt Flood. Getting that histrionic because a rental of a trade chose to exercise that right is absurd.

Arguably the largest peaceful non-religious gathering of all time, assuming we can agree that Cubs fandom is not a religion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_peaceful_gatherings_in_history

Farchanter posted:

The 2014 Phillies spent $178 million on 89 losses.

The Cardinals are one of a few franchises that sometimes receive competitive balance picks, though not every year. If I remember correctly Joe Maddon groused in the press about it a few years ago. After a cursory Googling it turns out it was Theo, but I'm going to leave that sentence there because I like using the term "groused" in conjunction with Joe Maddon.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-outside/story/theo-epstein-cubs-st-louis-cardinals-competitive-balance-draft-pick-072414

The teams that receive competitive balance picks are picked from out of the 10 smallest markets and the 10 smallest revenues as an organization. If memory serves there's a lottery among the potential organizations and there are 6 teams that are awarded the picks. The Cardinals qualify as the former, a "small" market, in no small part due to the fact that fair housing legislation gutted St. Louis proper in the quintessential example of White Flight. I've complained before and I'll complain again about the crazy levels of racism that I saw when I was living in St. Louis. The "small market" moniker is at least partially traceable to the really hideous racism in the area and it's not something to be proud of.

SourKraut posted:

Pancakes is cool, but he's also not a member of the BFiB crew so yeah. And that comes from me, the saltiest of posters.

Aww, you're too kind. As this post illustrates though, I'm more than happy to whine. I just tend to whine a little differently than the BFiB crowd.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I'm still kinda salty we blew a 3-1 lead but honestly seeing the reaction of all the happiest Cubs fans in the world has gone a long way to making it all okay again. I really need to keep up with baseball more, I think.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Explosionface posted:

I don't think you have the right year

Sorry, 2006. Still lost 96.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Pancakes posted:

Arguably the largest peaceful non-religious gathering of all time, assuming we can agree that Cubs fandom is not a religion.

It was, but they actually won the World Series, so it's not anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Luneshot posted:

I'm still kinda salty we blew a 3-1 lead but honestly seeing the reaction of all the happiest Cubs fans in the world has gone a long way to making it all okay again. I really need to keep up with baseball more, I think.

I'm really hoping this post season and World Series in particular drew in some new fans. This was about as exciting as it could get especially that game 7. So if there is a silver lining to for Cleveland fans it's that hopefully the sport and the Indians have a lot more people showing up next year.

• Locked thread