Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DrakeriderCa posted:

D:

The suspense is killing me!

We sold our Lincoln recently and I've been encouraging the wife to get whateeeeeveeer she wants, with the implication that if she gets a nice little SUV now, I get a nice little sports car a few years from now.

So what I'm saying is:

Don't sell dat porch until I'm ready because it's the exact intersection of price/car that I need. :unsmith:

Switch and I might have a whole new Lincoln for you :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

Switch and I might have a whole new Lincoln for you :q:

If I had to guess which person from our circle of friends would most enjoy the Town Car it's basically Drake.

Hell, if you want to take it right now we'll put a lexan window with a gunport in instead of an actual window. Then you can drive-by deer from a Panther-platform tree stand and not even have to put it in park.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

slidebite posted:

Can you do the brakes and maybe suspension yourself? The big brembos on my 911 cost a small fortune at the dealer but pads and rotors are reasonably available on the aftermarket and simple to do.

Apart from the fact that I have no real place to work on the car (we have two spots in the underground parking below our apartment building), and no appreciable experience? I guess at least the brake work could be done, buts that's kinda the least expensive item on the list.
Offer came today: 16K EUR, which is about what I expected. Car's worth some 21-22K, minus the 5K for repairs. Asked for 17K, which may be just enough for me to convince myself it's a good enough deal.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So I literally looked over the entire block/head/sides of the engine and engine compartment and couldn't find the clamp both by eye and with help of my snake cam in areas I couldn't easily see. I stuck the camera into the crankcase opening even further and no sign of the clip. I removed the rags from the intake and stuck the camera in all the way to the valves if somehow by fluke it made its way past. Nothing. I spent probably over 3 hours doing this yesterday.

I took the old AOS and checked the orientation of the port from which the clamp that would have been missing. It was then that I had an epiphany that it was readily accessible and I wouldn't have left it on there. I also had a shadow of a memory of holding a mangled clamp in my hand. I then realized that I am almost certain I pulled it off when I loosened it and just immediately threw it away. Of course garbage day was yesterday so I couldn't rummage through the can to be positive but I do remember holding a clamp like that and it is the only one it could be since there was only 2 clamps and I still have one.

To be extra safe, I replaced the old AOS to its original installed position and went through the motions of removing it to see where it could have possibly fallen if by off chance it was still on There is no way it would have fallen into the port that would have become exposed as I removed it - it was just too far away and behind and it wouldn't have fallen in some place that I haven't looked over with a fine tooth comb.

So I am satisfied with any real degree of uncertainty that the clamp is not posing a danger and almost certainly thrown away. As such I have begun to clean up the dirt on top of the motor and start the reassembly process. Yay, half way through the job!

DrakeriderCa posted:

D:

The suspense is killing me!

We sold our Lincoln recently and I've been encouraging the wife to get whateeeeeveeer she wants, with the implication that if she gets a nice little SUV now, I get a nice little sports car a few years from now.

So what I'm saying is:

Don't sell dat porch until I'm ready because it's the exact intersection of price/car that I need. :unsmith:
I think will eventually be looking to sell it. There is a decent chance I'd be looking at a divorce if I didn't at least list it. Interestingly though, I found out the mother-In-law has wanted a 911 since the 80s. She is actually pushing me to park it in their garage over the winter once I have it back together. I think she just wants a 911 in her garage. I don't think I could trust her to drive it. She's a total clutz and a mad woman behind the wheel courtesy of age and living in the Caribbean for the past 15+ years and driving with the locals.

So, I guess what I am saying, you should keep your eyes open for another 996 in anticipation of Mrs. Drakes eventual OK so we can be bargain porch buds in case this one doesn't leave the family before you're in the market. :ninja::hf::ninja:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Worked on it for a few hours today. Going together soooo much easier than taking it apart.

Not quite there yet, but 75% of the way.

1 more evening of work should be good enough to button it up.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

I'm seriously considering buying a 996. This would be my first Porsche, and would also be my DD. I do not have anything approaching excessive disposable income.

How terrible of an idea is this?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

As your only DD and no real disposal income?

It might be a better idea than sticking your cock in a food processor but not by much.

They are 2nd cars/toys, and when it needs work it's invariably not cheap. We're talking $75 oil changes, and that's doing it yourself.

Sure, they can be reasonably reliable, but they can also bankrupt you if you get unlucky.

If you can't work on it yourself put it out of your mind based on that alone.

Encor3
Jun 29, 2005

Konnichiwa Bitches

slidebite posted:

It might be a better idea than sticking your cock in a food processor but not by much.

They are 2nd cars/toys, and when it needs work it's invariably not cheap. We're talking $75 oil changes, and that's doing it yourself.

Sure, they can be reasonably reliable, but they can also bankrupt you if you get unlucky.

Seconding this. While Porsche isn't exotics-level expensive, you'll still want a bit of disposable income available for whatever maintenance comes up. And while I think the IMS issues are overblown, you'll always have the thought in the back of your head that your engine could grenade itself one day. Just getting new tires will cost you near $1000; they're expensive AND don't last very long! Yay performance! Better to use money wisely now to move ahead in life to a point where the running costs won't be such an issue.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

slidebite posted:

Encor3 posted:

Seconding this. While Porsche isn't exotics-level expensive, you'll still want a bit of disposable income available for whatever maintenance comes up. And while I think the IMS issues are overblown, you'll always have the thought in the back of your head that your engine could grenade itself one day. Just getting new tires will cost you near $1000; they're expensive AND don't last very long! Yay performance! Better to use money wisely now to move ahead in life to a point where the running costs won't be such an issue.

Thirding everything said here. It's like budgeting for the cooling system when you guy a BMW writ large, you'll need to budget out an excess $3-5k that will get eaten up between services (even done yourself) and when something invariably shits the bed.

I knew this in advance and still have very much a love/hate relationship with my 987 because even when you budget out that money you still have to actually bite the bullet and chew through it. This is even though I knew about the issues and got a full CarMax warranty.

poo poo that failed that would have been expensive if not 100% covered by my warranty:

- water pump
- cup holder (definition of over-engineering right here, wish they never built them in)

Tires are drat expensive as mentioned (cause you're not gonna cheap out on them, that would be even stupider) and last like 20k miles spirited driving, even bulbs are expensive, 60k/120k belt majors maints are expensive, etc.

That said, driving it is a religious experience and I love it to death, could talk about the perks forever

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Pulled the trigger on a local '99 996 to see if I'll actually use a fun 3rd car. It's getting PPI at Steinels in Cleveland in the next day or two then I'll be tooling around in it until it's too cold. I figure I'll keep it for a couple years and if I use it a lot I'll get a newer turbo as a DD and retire my JGC SRT into a winter beater and tow vehicle. The current owner runs a detailing shop and obviously loved the car plus it's nearly bone stock (muffler bypass, going back to stock setup though) and in incredible condition somehow.

:toot:

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 4, 2016

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Is that a Turbo or Turbo Look?

I love the 996 spoiler. Almost as much as the 993. :allears:

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

DrakeriderCa posted:

Just the standard aero kit, Sport Design wheels, and someone painted the calipers at some point but it's missing the turbo's scoops in front of the rear wheels and lower bumper vents which are the big giveaways.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

That's a handsome beast.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

DrakeriderCa posted:

The 993 is a beautiful car. 996 is very nice too though, well done.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

GREETINGS FELLOW 99 996 OWNER

Congrats man. I've personally never preferred for the aero kit but if you're happy, I'm happy and what you think is most important.

What's your production date on the beast and option info?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Jymmybob posted:

Just the standard aero kit, Sport Design wheels, and someone painted the calipers at some point but it's missing the turbo's scoops in front of the rear wheels and lower bumper vents which are the big giveaways.

Cool, thanks!

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

GREETINGS FELLOW 99 996 OWNER

Congrats man. I've personally never preferred for the aero kit but if you're happy, I'm happy and what you think is most important.

What's your production date on the beast and option info?

It's pretty light on options, just pretty much power seats but I would have liked the LSD but those don't seem too common. The aerokit is oem but probably dealer installed and I wonder the same on the wheels since they aren't in the options code but I think a pretty hefty number of early ones were done by the dealer. The build is 3/98, probably not far from yours, since we both have the Raby special and especially since we both have the early amber tails. The IMS is stock and honestly I'm going to leave it because for the price it'd make more sense to risk the $5k difference between selling the rolling chassis with a blown engine compared to pouring money into a 5% failure rate problem.

Here's a ton of pics the current owner did after ceramic coating earlier this year and man, detailers are some crazy dudes about showing off their work.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zvhlf93mwyfneyb/AADALcABBNIVeeaFntUieclya?dl=0

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

You are correct, the dealers did, and still do, all sorts of official installed extras and of course the option sheet won't show them.

Yours and mine appear darn near identical, but you have the litronic (OEM or add on?) and I have the computer/drivers info centre. We even have the same red intake hose. I think it came as a kit with the permanent filter which is also red bodied?

Also, not only do you have power seats, you have the higher-spec Sport Seats.

Mine is a couple months newer, but like you said, super close and even close in mileage.

Fantastic looking car man, guy was a little OCD with the photos but she cleaned up nice!

e: Also, just an FYI it looks like the engine hood was replaced at some time in the past. The OEM should have the Mobil 1 sticker and recall stickers.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 4, 2016

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Whatup fellow Cleveland/Akron goon! That seller actually offered to trade me that 911 for my B7 S4 I have up on craigslist. Small world. I considered it more than I should've even though it would be my daily and I have a carseat in the back of the S4. Do you ever cruise around CVNP?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

You are correct, the dealers did, and still do, all sorts of official installed extras and of course the option sheet won't show them.

Yours and mine appear darn near identical, but you have the litronic (OEM or add on?) and I have the computer/drivers info centre. We even have the same red intake hose. I think it came as a kit with the permanent filter which is also red bodied?

Also, not only do you have power seats, you have the higher-spec Sport Seats.

Mine is a couple months newer, but like you said, super close and even close in mileage.

Fantastic looking car man, guy was a little OCD with the photos but she cleaned up nice!

e: Also, just an FYI it looks like the engine hood was replaced at some time in the past. The OEM should have the Mobil 1 sticker and recall stickers.

A previous owner added the litronics in 03. Since I know the aero isn't factory I bet if the dealer installs it they have stickerless hood because it's still the right parts but without the car specific details. I'm tempted to try to find the original dealer and ask them for the original sticker because I haven't had a chance to look through the documentation myself but I'm pretty sure they'd tell me to gently caress off rather than go back 18 years of records for some guy. Worst case I'll let Steinel's tell me if anything's weird because they have a stellar reputation. Assuming it's clear then I'll probably do that AOS adventure this winter :smith:

willroc7 posted:

Whatup fellow Cleveland/Akron goon! That seller actually offered to trade me that 911 for my B7 S4 I have up on craigslist. Small world. I considered it more than I should've even though it would be my daily and I have a carseat in the back of the S4. Do you ever cruise around CVNP?

Not really but I'm reasonably close and cut through sometimes around Bath but if cruise through often you might see my wife's Macan parked because she runs the towpath a few times a week. I'm in Wadsworth and work in Medina so I don't go in that direction a whole bunch. I actually bought the 911 because I missed my B8 S4 that I traded in on the JGC because that was an incredible car.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Well if you ever want to go for a drive I know a few nice sections in Bath, so :justpost:.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

willroc7 posted:

Well if you ever want to go for a drive I know a few nice sections in Bath, so :justpost:.

I probably will when I get something. In the meantime maybe I'll run into you in the hulking SRT on Wheatley or Everett sometime :getin:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh god, I am so retarded I never even thought about the spoiler-less hood with the Aero. Duh. Of course it's not factory original. :downs:

When you get access to it (or take it home!) take a look around the intake boots behind the throttle body and the AOS itself for oil weeping and dirt stuck to it. If it looks clean, I don't know if I'd even worry about the AOS... although the OCD previous owner might have cleaned it up so it may be tough to tell.

Did you get a good deal?

e: Is that the standard 17" non-twist rims? Seems to me the cabriolet I very briefly looked at had rims very much like that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

e: Yep looks like it

ee: Not edit drat!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

Oh god, I am so retarded I never even thought about the spoiler-less hood with the Aero. Duh. Of course it's not factory original. :downs:

When you get access to it (or take it home!) take a look around the intake boots behind the throttle body and the AOS itself for oil weeping and dirt stuck to it. If it looks clean, I don't know if I'd even worry about the AOS... although the OCD previous owner might have cleaned it up so it may be tough to tell.

Did you get a good deal?

e: Is that the standard 17" non-twist rims? Seems to me the cabriolet I very briefly looked at had rims very much like that.

I think it was a good deal but it's hard to tell since there's so many thrashed 996s under 20k. We agreed on $19k which I'm comfortable with since it's a pretty desirable setup in such good condition and also 10 miles away so I could check it in person. The wheels are the 18" Sport Designs which are the slightly narrower versions of the standard GT3 wheels and are pretty sweet 2 piece BBS's.

edit: PPI came back and it'll need ~2.5k for an RMS replacement, AOS, IMS(just since the transmission is off) and a couple small oil leaks plus another ~1.5k for waterpump, coolant valves, and coolant bottle. Nothing else of note except the DME scan pulled invalid numbers which they said about 10% of the cars they scan do and the transmission had been replaced but runs perfectly. Drivability and cosmetics are fine, it's just the typical expensive engine bullshit. I'm a little on the fence about it without a price drop but we shall see.

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 4, 2016

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So 23k and you would be good to go until the next big service?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Jymmybob posted:

edit: PPI came back and it'll need ~2.5k for an RMS replacement, AOS, IMS(just since the transmission is off) and a couple small oil leaks plus another ~1.5k for waterpump, coolant valves, and coolant bottle. Nothing else of note except the DME scan pulled invalid numbers which they said about 10% of the cars they scan do and the transmission had been replaced but runs perfectly. Drivability and cosmetics are fine, it's just the typical expensive engine bullshit. I'm a little on the fence about it without a price drop but we shall see.
Yowza, although that seems like a good price for all that work.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Elephanthead posted:

So 23k and you would be good to go until the next big service?

Kinda, there's still like 500-1000 in Old Car Things that aren't big deals and it needs new tires since the old ones are cracking since they're 8 years old with the rears worn down about to the bars.

willroc7 posted:

Yowza, although that seems like a good price for all that work.

I figure I can do the water pump but the other prices are pretty good for a premier Porsche specialist taken individually. It's just sticker shock from most of the main long-term issues need to be handled soon after buying instead of just dealing with them as they come and it's awkward to push the seller too hard since he only had it for like 8 months before becoming a business partner in his detailing shop and being tight on money. He had his mechanic go through stuff but not a Porsche specialist so he didn't really check for the problems well and he might end up eating some cash because of the owner(s) before him missing or just punting on maintenance while they had the car. I don't really want to break it to him that 'Hey we agreed on 19k but the PPI came back with 4k in engine work and 2k for misc stuff and tires."

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Jymmybob posted:

Kinda, there's still like 500-1000 in Old Car Things that aren't big deals and it needs new tires since the old ones are cracking since they're 8 years old with the rears worn down about to the bars.

I figure I can do the water pump but the other prices are pretty good for a premier Porsche specialist taken individually. It's just sticker shock from most of the main long-term issues need to be handled soon after buying instead of just dealing with them as they come and it's awkward to push the seller too hard since he only had it for like 8 months before becoming a business partner in his detailing shop and being tight on money. He had his mechanic go through stuff but not a Porsche specialist so he didn't really check for the problems well and he might end up eating some cash because of the owner(s) before him missing or just punting on maintenance while they had the car. I don't really want to break it to him that 'Hey we agreed on 19k but the PPI came back with 4k in engine work and 2k for misc stuff and tires."

You're a much kinder negotiator/buyer than I am.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I would think that, just like buying a house, that any offer discussed before an inspection is subject to change due to results of inspection.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hmm, that's a lot of work and you absolutely need to get him to take that into account.

The RMS is leaking and the AOS is either leaking or too much in/hg, they should be done.

The only way I'd consider the IMS on that car was if it were "The Solution" IMS. Any other rolling element bearing is probably a step backwards from what you already have.

Waterpump and bottle are common so not surprising there either. Almost be more surprising if it's still the original at this point. Not sure what "valves" would need to be replaced..? The price for the AOS/IMS/RMS work is darn good though, that's a big job.

Tough call. The Aero cars are certainly sought after by some people and don't come up every day. If you want the car still go for it, but you need to get him to take at least $3K off for the work. I wouldn't touch that IMS with an aftermarket bearing unless it's "The Solution", and even then I'd need to think about it. Doesn't mean you can't use it for negotiating though.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Steinel's pretty much thought it was a nice car and would be fair at ~18k since there weren't any problems that were unusual, just a lot. I'm going to toss it back to the seller and see if he wants to drop the price but I'm not going to press him hard since I know he's had it for sale for months and I'm not in a hurry so if he doesn't make it worth my while maybe a nice turbo will pop up in the meantime :getin:

Edit: the coolant valves thing was actually just the coolant bleed valve leaking

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 5, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If you agreed to $19K for that car assuming it didn't need anything, and after that PPI you only take $1K off, you're far more giving than I am.

Sure there is nothing exceptional or deal breakers, but like you said there is a lot of it.

Let us know what you do.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I was ready for ~2k in repairs since I was planning on an eventual IMS replacement plus the standard old car minor issues but not 4k+ in engine work plus new tires in addition to the minor stuff. I also don't expect the seller to drop below 18k but I'd have to get down to at least 17k to feel ok about it since there's a guy on rennlist with a nearly identical non-aerokit one and all that maintenance done recently asking 19k, not that I'd buy that exact one.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So last night I got the alternator in, replaced the RH timing chain tensioner, and started buttoning it up. I have some confidence that timing tensioner is going to get rid of the chain noise on start up as the old one was easily compressible by hand so the chain paddle would have easily relaxed. They're supposed to have a check valve in them which keeps them very rigid when extended to keep the chain tight, so here's to hoping.

Last task of things to do was put new bearings in the belt idlers (I know a guy who can hook me up) and I went to remove the old ones. Looks straight forward, complete side of bearing is visible with no snap rings or anything, so just pound or press the bearing out of the idler body and use a vice to put the new ones in.

loving no way, that bearing is not moving no matter what I do. Typically I can use my vice if driving out with the hammer doesn't work, and won't even budge it. I now either need to see if any of my friends have hydraulic presses today, wait until tomorrow for my machine shop neighbor at work is open and ask them. Or, and this is what scares me, if they're not replaceable or if I damage the idler on removal, need to order new ones. If I would have left them the 911 would be on the road today for sure. But nope, I wanted to put new bearings in because of ~reasons~

Gah, I am now so close and held up by the 1 thing I didn't think would be a problem at all. :argh:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 6, 2016

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Are Canadian Porsche 911 federalized so I can easily import them to the good old USA?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Elephanthead posted:

Are Canadian Porsche 911 federalized so I can easily import them to the good old USA?

I'm pretty sure they are since I see them swing between countries surprisingly often.

In 911 news I might just take that one for 18k since it seems reasonable vs similar cars but first I'm going to check out a local turbo that might be a Car of Poor Decisions.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Jymmybob posted:

I'm pretty sure they are since I see them swing between countries surprisingly often.

In 911 news I might just take that one for 18k since it seems reasonable vs similar cars but first I'm going to check out a local turbo that might be a Car of Poor Decisions.

:toot: let's be honest with ourselves, buying a Porsche is rarely an objectively good decision anyways

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

DrakeriderCa posted:

:toot: let's be honest with ourselves, buying a Porsche is rarely an objectively good decision anyways

Well, objectively worse than buying a Porsche needing $5000 in engine work :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

slidebite posted:

Typically I can use my vice if driving out with the hammer doesn't work

Like, drinking to excess, or drugs or something?