Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Devonaut posted:

Are Casper and Leesa both sponsoring earwolf shows now? I can't keep track

Leesa sponsors CBB but Casper sponsors Hollywood Handbook so I know which $1000 mattress I'm buying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
cool subtle call back to the legend 'This for When' bit that was pioneered a few weeks ago

I love a show that rewards listeners who pay attention, and brother, I feel very rewarded every Tuesday

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I hope Helix Sleep starts advertising on Earwolf soon. I need an ep with ad-reads for three different online mattress companies.

beeman
May 7, 2008

Tarranon posted:

cool subtle call back to the legend 'This for When' bit that was pioneered a few weeks ago

I love a show that rewards listeners who pay attention, and brother, I feel very rewarded every Tuesday

hahaha yes

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Speaking of ads I couldn't stop cracking up at the toothbrush one Scott was reading for CBB this week. I'm pretty sure he was playing it straight but just the sheer enthusiasm he had for a toothbrush that told you when to replace it was hysterical

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Tarranon posted:

Speaking of ads I couldn't stop cracking up at the toothbrush one Scott was reading for CBB this week. I'm pretty sure he was playing it straight but just the sheer enthusiasm he had for a toothbrush that told you when to replace it was hysterical

Yes, Scotty's ads are the best behind HH's. The best one that still cracks me up when I think about it is the one for a clothing service maybe it was Five Four? I can't remember. Anyway, he kept messing up the words in the ad. I think it was an ad during last years Christmas Ep with Ho-Ho, Gino, Lloyd Webber, and John Lennon. Anyway, instead of saying "body type" he said "body top" and it still makes me smile almost a year later.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Yes, Scotty's ads are the best behind HH's.

if we're making declaratives like this, it's matt gourley: a man who can't read and has the bad-talks because of low blood sugar but still manages to spin ad straw into gold every week

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I'm sick of all these stupid festivals happening in the LA area. gently caress LA.

I like living in Los Angeles because all the best comics come here or just live here. So I can skip 20 shows a week and still end going to a show thats 5 dollars or free and see everyone I really enjoy.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Worth every cent of that 150 smackers baby

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Work Friend Keven posted:

gonna listen to this and kill myself

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The mattress startups are bizarre. Casper used to have a ton of ads on the subway here (Toronto), I'm talking all of the overheads bought out.

Now they're all gone and some other mattress company (a Canadian one) has all of their ads up instead.

There's something like 5 notable mattress startups offering these cheap mattresses now for whatever reason, and it just seems to get more crowded.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

But polls schmolls, work friend keven

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

piratepilates posted:

The mattress startups are bizarre. Casper used to have a ton of ads on the subway here (Toronto), I'm talking all of the overheads bought out.

Now they're all gone and some other mattress company (a Canadian one) has all of their ads up instead.

There's something like 5 notable mattress startups offering these cheap mattresses now for whatever reason, and it just seems to get more crowded.

Honestly it makes more sense than boxes of snacks once a month that run out in a week and all. Mattress shopping is a goddamn bear to tackle and it's something literally everyone has to do at least a couple times in their life. I don't really know about the dudes making these companies and how good they are but yea I can see how poo poo like 'look you order the mattress we'll send you some dumb space cube that you James Bond into forming the mattress in your room instead of hauling it around, all done nice and easy' is a seller.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

piratepilates posted:

$1000 is not a cheap mattress.

That's what's so confusing about it to me. From what I've heard the mattresses are good, but you'd think some company that sells one of those decent $250 mattresses on Amazon would go "Hey, Earwolf fans are probably mostly broke 20-somethings or were recently. Let's scoop up that market."

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

That's what's so confusing about it to me. From what I've heard the mattresses are good, but you'd think some company that sells one of those decent $250 mattresses on Amazon would go "Hey, Earwolf fans are probably mostly broke 20-somethings or were recently. Let's scoop up that market."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl_Qyk9DSUw

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

$1000 for a king size is pretty cheap, last time I bought a king size mattress I literally cashed out my first 401k to buy it (not the stupidest thing I did at that age).

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

ElCondemn posted:

$1000 for a king size is pretty cheap, last time I bought a king size mattress I literally cashed out my first 401k to buy it (not the stupidest thing I did at that age).

Thanks Leesa.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
My conspiracy theory is that Casper and Leesa are not distinct companies and instead just two different marketing arms for the same manufacturer, being pitted against one another in some kind of Venture Capitalist Hunger Games scenario.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

JethroMcB posted:

My conspiracy theory is that Casper and Leesa are not distinct companies and instead just two different marketing arms for the same manufacturer, being pitted against one another in some kind of Venture Capitalist Hunger Games scenario.

I'm pretty sure at the very least the product is manufactured at the same facility. I've seen videos/pictures of the competitors products and they're packaged exactly the same and look exactly the same, the casper mattress says "casper" on the side but otherwise looks identical.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
All I know is that one shows up at your door in a box the size of a mini-fridge.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
If you order one of those mattresses and send it back, can you order another one later?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Darkman Fanpage posted:

All I know is that one shows up at your door in a box the size of a miniature refrigerator.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

GobiasIndustries posted:

If you order one of those mattresses and send it back, can you order another one later?

I think I heard recently that the way they do that "1 outta 10 are donated to a shelter" is they funnel all their returns to homeless shelters. Because I'm pretty sure it's illegal (in many states, at least) to sell a used mattress.

beeman
May 7, 2008

i sleep on a tempur mattress

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ManoliIsFat posted:

I think I heard recently that the way they do that "1 outta 10 are donated to a shelter" is they funnel all their returns to homeless shelters. Because I'm pretty sure it's illegal (in many states, at least) to sell a used mattress.

Not sure about other mattress companies but the return policy for Leesa seemed like some kind of local recycling partnership. If you ask for a return it doesn't go back to the factory, it gets picked up and donated or recycled by a local company.

I don't know if they count that as "donated to a shelter" but that would be pretty shady if that was the case.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

feedmyleg posted:

this is like 40% of what a tempurpedic cost when they first hit the streets

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm not saying it's expensive as far as mattresses can go. I'm saying it's not cheap. A standard cheap mattress is a $180 one from IKEA. A decent cheap mattress is a $250 one from Amazon. A Leesa mattress is firmly in the moderate-to-expensive category. Sure, you can pay $3,000 for a mattress, but that would be a very very expensive mattress from your average consumer's point of view.

All I'm saying is it's a weird choice for your average Earwolf listener, who more than likely thinks that $500 for a mattress is expensive based on demographics.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I got one of those amazon queens for about 400 bucks with frame. Had it for a few years so far, my back is still doing okay. I can't imagine paying a thousand for one. How much better can it be . . .

. . .

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

A $250 mattress from Amazon might feel okay for a while, but they'll invariably use miserly quantities of lower quality foam and be less durable. That said, some of them might be worth it if you're on a budget and you don't mind replacing your mattress a few years earlier. Leesa and Casper are a little overpriced for what they are, but they're attractive because they're a known quantity with a money back guarantee. I've slept on a Leesa and I'd buy one.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

It's like $700 or 800 for a queen sized mattress. It's still the only thing I've bought from a podcast ad and I'm happy with my purchase.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

lmao

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

JethroMcB posted:

So like Luxotica does with the eyeglasses market?

feedmyleg posted:

I just presumed they were cheap as their selling point, I've been sleeping on the same Ikea mattress for like 10 years :mrwhite:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

piratepilates posted:

So like Luxotica does with the eyeglasses market?

Ha, I have one pair of sunglasses not made by them.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Sunglasses are yet another target Adam and his cronies at funny or die have ruined

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Somebody didn't buy "The Signal and The Noise" and doesn't listen to "What's the Point" or "FveThirtyEightElections" with Jody Avirgan

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Also, Leesa amd Casper are lifestyle companies. Imagine living in SoMa, Echo Park, Brooklyn, or Manhattan and getting laid in some measurable part due to your mattress brand. This is the reality of their target market.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Echo Park is about the quality of your Tibetan prayer flags.

Hayes and Sean did the Doughboys and man, that's the level of quality I'd expect from people who eat at Red Lobster 4x in a month. They seem insane.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm looking forward to the Shrimp-off, the show-swap, and Hayes and Sean's individual episodes.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

Echo Park is about the quality of your Tibetan prayer flags.

Hayes and Sean did the Doughboys and man, that's the level of quality I'd expect from people who eat at Red Lobster 4x in a month. They seem insane.

Don't know anything about the Williamsburgs of LA, is Silverlake one of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChumpsForChange
Jun 2, 2011
If we're ranking ad reads then Paul Scheer is at the bottom. HDTGM is one of the only podcasts were I feel i have to skip the ads.