Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn
I went to the rally today, and it was awesome. Took the South Shore Line in and there had to be 300 people at the station. First train went right through and the crowd reacted like another Davis HR. Luckily there was another one like 10 minutes behind it. Was up in the middle of the crowd about 200 feet back from that TV on the south side of the grounds, couldn't really see the stage very well but just being there was great. I was at the 2010 and 2013 Hawks rallys and this blew both of them out of the water. Rizzo's speech about Ross had quite a few watery eyes in the area near me, and the roar of sound when the fireworks went up during Ross' game 7 dinger was shown on the screen was deafening. Made my decision on which World Series Champion jersey to get very easy, it's definitely a Ross one now.

Over all it was a massive pain to get downtown, the crowds sucked, walked all over trying to find food, and my leg felt like it wanted to fall off afterward, but I wouldn't change going for the world. The entire crowd singing Go Cubs Go was everything I imaged it could be and just being in that crowd while they replayed all the big moments of the post season brought back all of the emotions from when it all was actually happening.

Made a toxx in the discord chat the other night too, $50 donation if Martinez was an out to fight off the karma of a Cleveland fan saying they'd donate $50 if it was a dinger. So here's proof. Seeing all the money donated per hit and stuff was great and kinda inspiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Watch out world the Astros have claimed Nori Aoki off waivers

Offseason: handled

:suicide:

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Popete posted:

I'm really hoping this post season and World Series in particular drew in some new fans. This was about as exciting as it could get especially that game 7. So if there is a silver lining to for Cleveland fans it's that hopefully the sport and the Indians have a lot more people showing up next year.

Seriously, come thiiiiiis close and still draw under 20K a game?* Just seems weird since growing up Cleveland was always a sellout. Maybe people just really hate Flo?

I remember when MLB started trotting out the World Series, then postseason patches and I always told myself I'd stick with my off the shelf selection but drat you, drat you all to hell I gave in. I limited myself to 125 bucks Wednesday but now that I've got my Dr. Pepper bottle I have to keep myself from dropping a few mortgage payments on a team autographed ball, or the display of team balls all nice and framed- it's been a few dry summers in a row, siding can wait a few years right? I'm hoping a Hendricks jersey and some T-shirts can sate me through the winter. I did manage to find a box filled with some of my stuff from childhood though, a pre-name on back Grace jersey, a jar of "Diamond Dust"- dirt from Wrigley after they redid the infield after the 86 or 87 season and my 1989 Cubs team ball I got from what I think was the last year the Cubs played an exhibition game here against the I-Cubs(the union put a stop to that kind of in season stuff quickly) The only big things I think are still missing are a Turk Wendell jersey (I still have the signed toothbrush) and Joe Girardi's banner from the 1990 Cubs Caravan stop.

*A 15% improvement over 2015!

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Tried to post some pictures but looks like imgur went down. This video on espn is pretty great though. Not sure about the Eddie Vedder song but it works for the video.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17972768

Edit: It's back up

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 5, 2016

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Intruder posted:

Aoki loving rules to watch congrats

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I don't care what anyone says, I like the "All the Way" song. But I also really like Pearl Jam and Eddies voice.

I've listened to that song like a dozen times over the past couple days.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Luneshot posted:

I'm still kinda salty we blew a 3-1 lead but honestly seeing the reaction of all the happiest Cubs fans in the world has gone a long way to making it all okay again. I really need to keep up with baseball more, I think.

Y'all can do the same in forty years

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

goddamnit i am having the hardest time finding this in small

any leads? and yes, has to be javy

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

SirPhoebos posted:

Still can't believe the whole "Jason Hayward rallied the team during rain delay" thing. That's just too goddamn clichι.

It's fitting. At least he can motivate the team. It makes up for all those weak grounders to 2nd base all year.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Popete posted:

I'm really hoping this post season and World Series in particular drew in some new fans. This was about as exciting as it could get especially that game 7. So if there is a silver lining to for Cleveland fans it's that hopefully the sport and the Indians have a lot more people showing up next year.

As someone who was turned off baseball after the 2003 Cubs collapse, I forgot how much I enjoyed pitching. There's just something about it that really grabs me.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Abel Wingnut posted:

Oh, look at Mr. "Clothes Are Too Big on Me" over here....

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Abel Wingnut posted:

Just get fat. Much easier to buy clothes.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
85 year old Cubs fan in fading health has his family whispering the Game 7 score in his ear as it continues. Three hours after the Cubs win, he dies.

All of these almost made it/just barely held on stories never fail to put a few tears in my eyes.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

What an amazing day. I can't even count the number of childhood dreams I crossed off my bucket list today. I'm pretty sure I died during the rain delay in game 7 and today was just a wonderful hallucination.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joe Maddon's bad managerial moves (and Rizzo's choking) finally did him in.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

For those of you getting the Dr. Pepper codes at Fanatics. Do I just buy a regular 20 ounce? Are these specially marked bottles? Is everyone hearing back from them? I need to buy me some poo poo.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Niwrad posted:

For those of you getting the Dr. Pepper codes at Fanatics. Do I just buy a regular 20 ounce? Are these specially marked bottles? Is everyone hearing back from them? I need to buy me some poo poo.
There are specially marked bottles. I've heard back from them on the three I've used, and it's saved me about $130 total so far.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Niwrad posted:

Same although I seem to have missed a flash sale earlier when everything was 86% off :headbang:

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect

That's not pizza though...

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

JeterianGiftBasket posted:

That's not pizza though...

There was thin crust too

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

There was thin crust too

Oh, okay then, cool, objection retracted.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

What an amazing day. I can't even count the number of childhood dreams I crossed off my bucket list today. I'm pretty sure I died during the rain delay in game 7 and today was just a wonderful hallucination.

Two days in a row I woke up and had to check google to make sure I didn't just have a WS dream that weirdly included a rain delay

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
it still hasn't really hit me, but I'll look at news on the cubs winning, unintentionally smile, and just recite "it happened" to myself

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I have a goofy little first game of the season ritual where I tell myself "this is the year." Now wtf do I do

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I have a goofy little first game of the season ritual where I tell myself "this is the year." Now wtf do I do

Wait till next year is now a threat rather than a statement of resigned fate.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
According to 538's ELO ranking, the Cubs finish 2016 as the best team of the 2010s thus far(The 2011 Philles are #2,) the best team since the 2009 Yankees, the 7th most dominant Cubs team in franchise history and tied for the 69th most dominant team in the World Series era (40th most dominant World Series champion.)

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 5, 2016

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

CubsWoo posted:

tied for the 69th most dominant team in the World Series era

Nice.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Awww...were you kids in one of the trolleys? :allears:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

John Wilkes Booth posted:

I got back from vacation an hour ago and I've spent that time watching highlights of game 7. I hadn't gotten to see all of it but we caught parts in the hotel. It was fun to watch it with my mom and hear her swear really forcefully when Rajai hit that homerun.

I'm really wondering what this Cubs victory is going to do to the White Sox and their offseason. I really hope Reinsdorf actually commits to one way or the other and not the same old "sign some veterans who underperform and trade away some prospects and never go anywhere ever". Theo and the Cubs showed that actually having a plan is a pretty good idea!

Check out the condensed game: http://m.mlb.com/video/v1211075283?game_pk=487637

I watched it last night, and it's cool because it contains all the action and cuts out the downtime, but they review all the important plays and show the player reaction shots. It's nostalgic if you've seen the whole game previously, but it's also eerie because there are no announcers whatsoever. Then again, that means no Joe Buck, so :toot:

Luneshot posted:

I'm still kinda salty we blew a 3-1 lead but honestly seeing the reaction of all the happiest Cubs fans in the world has gone a long way to making it all okay again. I really need to keep up with baseball more, I think.

Eh, it's all about getting rid of all that "curse" nonsense and just having a regular team now. Cleveland can have theirs next year for all I care; I just want to see some fun baseball!

CascadeBeta posted:

As someone who was turned off baseball after the 2003 Cubs collapse, I forgot how much I enjoyed pitching. There's just something about it that really grabs me.

It's because there are so many different styles, different routines, so many ways to perform a task as simple as throwing a ball. You've got yer three-quarters, your sidearm, your submarine deliveries; you've got the stretch and the windup; you've got Kershaw's double leg kick, Cueto's...dancing, Chapman's diagonal leg thing and wife-choke, and Lackey's "throw and yell 'gently caress' after every pitch." It's just fun to watch them because it's the most unique position. :shobon:

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
I don't think I have ever been happier to see another team win the World Series. I want to hug the entire city of Chicago.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

BasicFunk posted:

I don't think I have ever been happier to see another team win the World Series. I want to hug the entire city of Chicago.

Two teams in Chicago and only one of them made a living on being plucky sad sacks for 100 years.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Yes, the White Sox are known for being a perennial juggernaut, what with their two World Series in the last 100 years.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

cebrail posted:

Yes, the White Sox are known for being a perennial juggernaut, what with their two World Series in the last 100 years.

In addition, they're the only AL team to never make the playoffs two years in a row, and they threw a World Series they likely would have won. For some reason I root for them :confuoot:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

They're really burning through championship gear. They've almost completely sold out of those Under Armour parade jackets that just went up yesterday. I was going to get a Medium one this morning but it's gone...

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

What do those look like? On mobile

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

joeburz posted:

What do those look like? On mobile

Like this. They're extremely high quality.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Intruder posted:

Aoki is the best! Don't talk mean about my beautiful Aoki!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Like this. They're extremely high quality.

I'm hoping they get more in stock, because it's a jacket I could easily wear to work without it looking unprofessional.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

SourKraut posted:

I'm hoping they get more in stock, because it's a jacket I could easily wear to work without it looking unprofessional.

Poque got one. I might have to get one of my own because he's already expressly forbidden me from ever wearing his. :smith:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Poque got one. I might have to get one of my own because he's already expressly forbidden me from ever wearing his. :smith:

Are they available in local stores? I'm wondering if the Cubs Team shop at Sloan Park might end up having them. This is the part where it sucks not being local in/around Chicago, although Phoenix is almost New Chicago at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Reminder: The Arizona Fall League all-star game is on tonight on MLB Network. Previous players in the game have included some schlubs named Kris Bryant, Andrew McCutchen and Mike Trout. Baseball's not done yet, guys!

• Locked thread