Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many states will legalize Cannabis in the 2016 election?
5+
View Results

• Locked thread
Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

It's less rear end in a top hat-puckering when you realize it was polling 6 points lower in May and that they were the only legitimate dissenting poll in the race.

Dmitri-9 has issued a correction as of 19:32 on Oct 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

bummer about the charter school polling tho. i really hope it doesn't pass

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah.

Looks like there are a few last minute panics going on.

Boston archdiocese sinks $850,000 to fight passage of question 4

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

A MIRACLE posted:

is cali gonna legalize it

yes

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Sweet

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

when that happens they better open a dispensary by the Prudential Center. that way i can catch a Devils game, buy weed after, and transport my weed to NYC, where we won't get it legally until cuomo fucks off back under whatever rock he came from

my parents' state senator wants to propose legislation to legalize and tax weed. it'll be nothing but a good thing for the many economically depressed upstate counties, and Broome County (where IBM used to be headquartered) is very interested in becoming a hub for legal weed. get that fuckin poo poo done guys

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
If Cali goes legal, that's like 13% of the total US population instantly getting high as gently caress.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Philthy posted:

If Cali goes legal, that's like 13% of the total US population instantly getting high as gently caress.

as a california resident who hasnt gotten high since college i can confirm this will be correct, yes

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Philthy posted:

almost anyone who cares to smoke in Cali already can. All you have to do is pay a doctor $50 for your medical card.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I'm thinking VT and RI strong chances for 2017, and MI, WI, and maybe MD, DE, NJ, and NM for 2018. 2020 might just be ludicrous.

EDIT: NJ already saying "as soon as we get a new governor": https://www.google.com/amp/www.nj.com/articles/19510231/legalizing_pot_most_important_change_for_nj_econom.amp?client=safari

There would be lots of things we would get done if we didn't have the fat avatar of FYGM as our governor. ;)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Gobbeldygook posted:

almost anyone who cares to smoke in Cali already can. All you have to do is pay a doctor $50 for your medical card.

That system doesn't do much for those outside CA. Full legalization means acreage skyrockets and the surplus heads east. That's the important part.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Arkansas had two competing medical amendments up this time. One got bumped off by a state supreme court challenge in the middle of the first week of early voting, and the lady that was organizing the dead one is sour graping it big time and isn't going to support the remaining one.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Is there any truth to the anti-MMJ side in Florida when they say it would be like California's system? I thought Amendment 2 was going to be strictly limited but I was reading their website and getting all excited.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

platzapS posted:

Is there any truth to the anti-MMJ side in Florida when they say it would be like California's system? I thought Amendment 2 was going to be strictly limited but I was reading their website and getting all excited.
Amendment 2 allows MMJ for those with a 'debilitating medical condition'.

quote:

“Debilitating Medical Condition” means cancer, epilepsy, glaucoma, positive status for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS), post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), Crohn's disease, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, or other debilitating medical conditions of the same kind or class as or comparable to those enumerated, and for which a physician believes that the medical use of marijuana would likely outweigh the potential health risks for a patient.
So if you can convince a doctor that your depression is comparable to cancer, there you go.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Don't actually do that. Be honest with your physicians.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
RI governor, again a state without ballot initiatives, says she's improving oversight of their MMJ program in preparation for eventual Recreational in RI. Their legislature has looked at it a few times but I imagine ME and MA legalizing will really give them a push. VT and RI are the next ones to watch.

http://turnto10.com/news/local/rhode-island-governor-watches-massachusetts-marijuana-ballot

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

new hampshire, live free or die, unless you want to smoke weed

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Medical Marijuana is poo poo and if you support it. you are poo poo.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Powercrazy posted:

Medical Marijuana is the poo poo and if you support it. you are the poo poo.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQJzK3QQl4k

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Guys, I have good news!

You still have 6 more days to write in Jeb! motherfucking Bush! for President!

EDIT: Totally wrong thread but point still stands!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

MaxxBot posted:

Guys, I have good news!

You still have 6 more days to write in Jeb! motherfucking Bush! for President!

EDIT: Totally wrong thread but point still stands!

If I were going to write in a presidential candidate, I'd write in Bernie.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Karl Barks posted:

new hampshire, live free or die, unless you want to smoke weed

Get involved with your local chapter of NORML. Your state is small so even just a few people can have an outsized effect. When DC had to turn in signatures to get legalization on the ballot, I personally collected 2% of what we needed in valid signatures, so small places can be easy to sway.

Decrim keeps repeatedly failing in NH, so if you and a few friends can show up at hearings dressed like sober adults, that can make a difference. NH has a strong favoring for legal (like 60+%) and the House keeps passing weak decrim and the Senate smacking them down.

Email NH NORML, get on their email lists, go to events and take some friends. And if it's an event that's supposed to sway the public or lawmakers, and not just internal socializing, then look clean cut and be ready to make short articulate statements in favor.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

lol i don't live in NH i just like making fun of their dumbass slogan

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I wanted to google up and post some cool animated map showing the changes in US weed law by year, but even maps that stop just a couple years ago are hugely out of date.

To put it another way, only 7 states and 2 US territories have zero form of Legal, Decrim, MMJ, or CBD oil. The remaining sticks in the mud: American Samoa, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, North Dakota, Northern Mariana Islands, South Dakota, West Virginia

Or another way, the entire American South save Arkansas has some form of usable weed product, and Arkansas is voting on Medical next week, which could put them up there into full MMJ. The only other Southern state with full MMJ is Louisiana for whatever baffling reason.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

I wanted to google up and post some cool animated map showing the changes in US weed law by year, but even maps that stop just a couple years ago are hugely out of date.

To put it another way, only 7 states and 2 US territories have zero form of Legal, Decrim, MMJ, or CBD oil. The remaining sticks in the mud: American Samoa, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, North Dakota, Northern Mariana Islands, South Dakota, West Virginia

Or another way, the entire American South save Arkansas has some form of usable weed product, and Arkansas is voting on Medical next week, which could put them up there into full MMJ. The only other Southern state with full MMJ is Louisiana for whatever baffling reason.

The governor of Idaho is so spiteful that he vetoed a CBD-only law, the same type of law pioneered by the famously libertine Utah.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Sorry Mom!

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Dmitri-9 posted:

The governor of Idaho is so spiteful that he vetoed a CBD-only law, the same type of law pioneered by the famously libertine Utah.

Butch Otter? What was his rationale?

loving *Oklahoma* has some kind of half-assed CBD measure, I'm baffled that a Rocky Mountain state somehow can't beat Kansas.

I'm so looking forward to seeing the updated maps after Election Night, watching that color creep in from the margins and the pale bits fill in at the center...

KIND OF A KIM DEAL
Oct 28, 2016

by zen death robot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4ZbZ6OdXN8

:krakken:

:420:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I've moved out of DC, but as I understand it despite weed being legal to grow/gift/possess/use they're still banned from setting up a retail framework by Congress.

Interesting angle though: DC Council is trying to set up a reciprocity law allowIng non-residents with a qualifying condition or MMJ card from another jurisdiction to buy from DC dispensaries: http://blog.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2016/10/washington-d-c-bill-would-allow-medical-marijuana-reciprocity-with-other-states/

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Found a simple summary of Butch Otter's Jug Band Christmas Cannabis Smackdown:

quote:

2015 veto of CBD oil legalization

Senate Bill 1146a, which would have legalized CBD oil for persons with severe epilepsy, passed the Idaho Legislature following "lengthy and emotional" hearings, but was vetoed by Governor Butch Otter in April 2015.[3]

In his veto, Otter stated:

It ignores ongoing scientific testing on alternative treatments... It asks us to trust but not to verify. It asks us to legalize the limited use of cannabidiol oil, contrary to federal law. And it asks us to look past the potential for misuse and abuse with criminal intent.[4]

TapTheForwardAssist has issued a correction as of 00:35 on Nov 4, 2016

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

I originally thought the medical thing would pass in Arkansas this time since it was pretty close the last time but now I think it won't because of:

1. The shitload of money being dumped into fighting it
2. The electorate here going full retard on literally everything else

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Wikipedia has a graphics volunteer on standby to update the US Weed Legality map as soon as clear results stabilize. Looking forward to the steady advancement of the dialectic.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Wikipedia has a graphics volunteer on standby to update the US Weed Legality map as soon as clear results stabilize. Looking forward to the steady advancement of the dialectic.

I wonder if we got to a tipping point where say it was legalized in enough states that a court ruling could legalize it.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Crowsbeak posted:

I wonder if we got to a tipping point where say it was legalized in enough states that a court ruling could legalize it.

The Courts would never touch overturning state bans on a drug.

The federal ban would be slightly more believable...although I suspect that once a tipping point is reached the federal weed ban is falling rapidly anyway.

Remember, Mississippi left alcohol illegal on a state level until the 1960s. States can ban substances.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Patter Song posted:

The Courts would never touch overturning state bans on a drug.

The federal ban would be slightly more believable...although I suspect that once a tipping point is reached the federal weed ban is falling rapidly anyway.

Remember, Mississippi left alcohol illegal on a state level until the 1960s. States can ban substances.

I should have clarified. I did mean a overturn of the federal ban.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Ohio got so hosed on this issue. :(

The current plan they are floating is 18 grower licenses total in the state.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nevvy Z posted:

Wow, I may be pro pot, but if lived there I would so vote against such a blatant attempt to create oligopoly.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Nevvy Z posted:

Didn't they waste enough money having that fail at the polls in 2015?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Huh, yet another blast-from-the-past reason to dislike Pence:

quote:

In February 2013, a bill to decriminalize small amounts of marijuana was killed in committee. Following that, the Senate offered an amendment to the previously-approved House Bill 1006, which had included decreased penalties for cannabis possession, with an amendment to instead raise certain types of possession from misdemeanors to felonies. Governor Mike Pence stated: "I think we need to focus on reducing crime, not reducing penalties."[1]

• Locked thread