Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Truth. The idea behind ynab is that you don't spend money you don't have.

Spending money this month that you won't have till next month is the definition of this. Ynab wants you to budget money you have towards the work expense, then budget your reimbursement towards whatever. If work expenses are fairly common, you should be budgeting for them regularly, and rebuilding the budgeting with reimbursements.

Or get a company credit card.

But the fact is that if you have one hundo in your account, and you spend 10 on work stuff that you'll get back next month, you now have 90 dollars, not 90 dollars plus 10 quantum future dollars.

Ynab is big on "never budget future income" for this reason too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Seems like they've started to roll out reports to a few people for testing. Of course, this is loving hilarious, given that search is also still in a test rollout, since at least three weeks. They're certainly not confident at all in their code.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

They just need to hire the guy who is making the free version

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I have to say, I'm really very satisfied with financier. Watching how every little financial change impacts the bottom line and planning out how we're going to get debt free is pretty cool.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Does nYNAB work on an iPad?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Xik posted:

There is no reason for carrying them over in the budget view, the money had to have come from somewhere. It's an expense like any other and should be budgeted, even if the next month you get reimbursed.

If you literally couldn't afford it then it means you borrowed money (via credit or some other means) and that should show up as debt as a negative balance on some sort of account, but the budget view should still be green.

I use it for carrying over things but with a caveat; in the master category of reimbursables, I have the categories for reimbursable expenses, then an extra category for "balancing". The balancing category always holds the inverse sum of the reimbursables, so the balance of the categories evens out to $0. Then when I'm paid back, I just budget the income to the category that went red, and update the balancing category appropriately.

This way I can keep track of the amounts but without the missing money issue. It's a little more work but lets me keep track of who owes what easily.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Seems like they've started to roll out reports to a few people for testing. Of course, this is loving hilarious, given that search is also still in a test rollout, since at least three weeks. They're certainly not confident at all in their code.

meanwhile, everything that's imported from Citi still puts the merchant name in the notes field rather than actually applying it as a merchant.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Reports on nYNAB are out, FYI. Search should be up soon, since it's mentioned as being released in some short-rear end podcast announcement thingy, too.

--edit: Search just showed up, too.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 24, 2016

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
The name of the blog post "You Want Reports? Well, Why Didn’t You Say So?"

:stare:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

They've also put up a Mean Tweets video, where Jesse reads and reacts to people getting irate at the slow dev cycle regards those features. Like what the hell are they even thinking. Didn't even watch it to avoid cringing.

Also, I love the apologists on their forum and on /r/ynab, claiming that they've never even used the reports in YNAB4. Who the gently caress does financial planning without at least occasionally checking how their income and expenses developed over time?!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That net worth line cracking 0 was probably the single greatest achievement since hitting step 4. People are crazy if they don't use reports.

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?

Combat Pretzel posted:

They've also put up a Mean Tweets video, where Jesse reads and reacts to people getting irate at the slow dev cycle regards those features. Like what the hell are they even thinking. Didn't even watch it to avoid cringing.

Also, I love the apologists on their forum and on /r/ynab, claiming that they've never even used the reports in YNAB4. Who the gently caress does financial planning without at least occasionally checking how their income and expenses developed over time?!

Okay gently caress Jesse. Now I'm 100% sure I will never buy software from him ever again.

To your other point: I have to admit I never really used reports. Checking my net worth was just a psychological thing; I didn't need any of that info to make budgeting decisions. There was the function that showed you average spending per category and that was useful to me, but that was built into the sidebar in nYNAB anyway.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

George H.W. oval office posted:

That net worth line cracking 0 was probably the single greatest achievement since hitting step 4. People are crazy if they don't use reports.

My net worth just cracked positive since buying my car last November. Feels real good.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

You know why so many programs have a box that say something like "Send anonymous usage data to make XYZ better"? It's so they can collect actual data on what aspects of a program people are actually clicking on and spending time in, rather than going with "I asked my friends and also some jerks on Twitter yelled at me."

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I returned something on one credit card, and added it back to the budget. Then I paid that card off for the month and paid the other one down to a small balance until payday just to have cash in checking. For some reason it shows the card I paid off is negative, which I assume is overpaid. This is also rolling into next month and holy poo poo it is making me irrationally angry. I have no idea where this came from or how to fix it and it's really pissing me off. I loving hate nYNAB and I think it's almost time to switch to financier.

Originally posted in the wrong thread.

I have no idea what the gently caress to do and it is pissing me off royally. All transactions are in the right spot, no account is overspent, there's just a random weird accounting error on the main screen that forwards into the next month as "Overspent in Oct" which makes no sense to me.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

No Butt Stuff posted:

I returned something on one credit card, and added it back to the budget. Then I paid that card off for the month and paid the other one down to a small balance until payday just to have cash in checking. For some reason it shows the card I paid off is negative, which I assume is overpaid. This is also rolling into next month and holy poo poo it is making me irrationally angry. I have no idea where this came from or how to fix it and it's really pissing me off. I loving hate nYNAB and I think it's almost time to switch to financier.

I have no idea what the gently caress to do and it is pissing me off royally. All transactions are in the right spot, no account is overspent, there's just a random weird accounting error on the main screen that forwards into the next month as "Overspent in Oct" which makes no sense to me.

Can you edit the original transaction to reflect the purchase without that item and just delete the return?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Eh, it was in a different month and it's not for the amount of the purchase. I'm at a loss. I've been doing really well using YNAB, but poo poo like this just makes it hard for me to stay in this system.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

No Butt Stuff posted:

I've run into this issue before. Key thing is to realize that nYNAB's method of handling credit cards is fiddly, but it does make a sort of convoluted sense. You say you returned something you bought on a credit card, and added the refund back to your budget. How exactly did you a) account for the return in your credit card account, and b) add the refunded amount back into your budget?

One way to do it:
- put in a positive transaction to same payee for the refund amount, with the category set to "inflow - to be budgeted"
- (not optional) subtract the refund amount from whatever number you have budgeted under "credit card payments" for the card you returned the item on

If you do things that way, you end up with $refund popping up as available to be budgeted for the month when the transaction cleared. You can then plug that money back into your budget anywhere you like.

Another way to do it:
- put in a positive transaction to same payee for the refund amount, with the original category you spent the money from
- (optional) subtract the refund amount from whatever number you have budgeted in the original category, so as to get the extra money back out under 'available to be budgeted'

If you do things this way, YNAB silently credits you the refund amount under the original category. If you want the extra money back in your budget, you have to take it out from the original category, NOT the credit card.

That both methods are possible, and that you can find yourself creating fake money in your budget if you mistakenly draw from your credit card payments when your money is committed to the original category you spent from, is Not Good. I was actually freaking out again when I tried to test pilot the return method in my own budget, until I realized that I was making the same mistake that sent me to the ynab forums looking for wtf was going on. Let me know if things are still screwy after you double check what you did and adjust to use one of the two methods.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

So this is what I did:

I'm not sure if this is the transaction that's even messing anything up.

This is what it looks like on my budget screen.

e: i did use a separate credit card to spend some of the funds I put back in. God dammit this is confusing as poo poo.

e: if I switch the refund to inflow:to be budgeted, it definitely alters the screen, but now I'm trying to figure out if I actually overspent. What the gently caress.

No Butt Stuff fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 31, 2016

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, turns out I made a mistake when describing how to properly enter a return in nYNAB. After testing, I figured out that the second step I listed here is incorrect:

my confused self posted:

One way to do it:
- put in a positive transaction to same payee for the refund amount, with the category set to "inflow - to be budgeted"
- (not optional) subtract the refund amount from whatever number you have budgeted under "credit card payments" for the card you returned the item on
You actually DON'T have to subtract the refund amount from under "credit card payments". If you list the return under the 'inflow' category instead of the original, nYNAB automatically moves the extra money to 'Available to Budget', and lets you plug the extra cash in wherever you like.

So. IF you put in the costco transaction exactly as you said you did, it means that your ~$120 was credited back from the 'Credit Card Payments: Costco Card' category, and that, once the return went through, you'd have had $120 extra available to spend in your 'True Expenses: Stuff we forgot' category. If, after returning stuff, you spent another $50 from the 'True Expenses: Stuff we forgot' category, but used a different, non-costco credit card, YNAB just kind of shrugs and moves the money you spent from 'True Expenses' to 'Other Credit Card'. The money, as far as YNAB was concerned, was always coming out of 'True Expenses'. If you go back through your transactions and make sure everything matches, and your returns all went back into the original category, any overspending that you see is probably just going to be actual overspending that you need to address.

Beyond that, I'm kind of banging my head on exactly how you could have turned your credit card balance red. So far, in my hokey tests with a fake budget, the only way to do that is to take too much money (i.e. much more than you currently owe on the card) out of the credit card payments category. If I were you, I would go back through the last few months with a fine toothed comb and make sure everything you've entered matches what happened in your actual accounts. Returns that go on your credit card don't automatically gently caress things up; it's how you deal with the resulting influx in cash, whether its in the original category, or just in 'Inflow: to be budgeted', that matters.

The only time you should be taking money out of a credit card payments category is if you're in a rewards program that gives you account credits: in that situation, the card company is paying you, and so you have to manually take money out of their category to match that.

Alternatively, change your cards to checking accounts and stop worrying about this. I want to tell you there's a simple way to make sure everything matches etc, but there's really not; if you've got tons of transactions moving through it's very easy to make a mistake and screw something up. And even if you think you understand how credit cards work in nynab, you might find, like I just did, that you're misapplying your knowledge or forgetting a condition that changes how you should handle things. I have now spent waaaay too much time on this post and have to go, good luck man :(

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I managed to hit a bug where my credit card category balance was straight hosed and the only way I could fix it was making a new account and moving all the transactions over.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Yeah, I just created a new budget and started over. Oh well, I may not get reporting the way I want it, but at least everything works okay again. Although I'm a little suspect because I apparently have 300 more dollars than I thought I did. I'll give that to the end of the month to shake out.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011
nYNAB handles credit card accounts very poorly. I just created Cash accounts for my two cards and treat them as regular accounts and it's alleviated all of my confusion. Not having to deal with those awful budget lines for the credit cards is a godsend.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

drive me nuts to school posted:

nYNAB handles credit card accounts very poorly. I just created Cash accounts for my two cards and treat them as regular accounts and it's alleviated all of my confusion. Not having to deal with those awful budget lines for the credit cards is a godsend.
Yeah, this is definitely the way to handle credit cards. I just switched my fiance over to nYNAB and purposefully set up her credit card account as cash because I knew better and wanted to ease the transition from YNAB4. I wonder if the YNAB people will ever "fix" this, or if it's working as intended.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I'm pretty sure the nYNAB folks said at one point that the new way is just The Way You Do It Now and that if you're a dirty holdout you can simulate the YNAB4 way with a non-CC account, exactly as you are doing now.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Zamujasa posted:

I'm pretty sure the nYNAB folks said at one point that the new way is just The Way You Do It Now and that if you're a dirty holdout you can simulate the YNAB4 way with a non-CC account, exactly as you are doing now.

Why would they want it this way?!

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

No Butt Stuff posted:

I'm not sure. I kind of feel like the way credit cards are set up in this iteration is just one of those ideological hills they're going to die on. In YNAB 4, their hill was automatic transaction importing (or at least that was one of the things on their hill), which was Bad and Wrong and Undisciplined, at least until they realized that they weren't going to reach a wider audience without adding that feature to their web app.

Now that they've gotten over that and baked in automated import, their hill is now the dumb new poo poo they've added (age of money, special and convoluted credit card handling). Hopefully they'll eventually reconsider.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

No Butt Stuff posted:

From what I can gather it's mostly meant for people who don't pay off their credit cards (or something), for whom budgeting a "credit card payment" was weird because it sort of went into an abyss. Like trying to rationalize "I spent money on this (from my budget), but where do I put the money for the credit card payment on my budget???"

babydonthurtme posted:

I'm not sure. I kind of feel like the way credit cards are set up in this iteration is just one of those ideological hills they're going to die on. In YNAB 4, their hill was automatic transaction importing (or at least that was one of the things on their hill), which was Bad and Wrong and Undisciplined, at least until they realized that they weren't going to reach a wider audience without adding that feature to their web app.

Now that they've gotten over that and baked in automated import, their hill is now the dumb new poo poo they've added (age of money, special and convoluted credit card handling). Hopefully they'll eventually reconsider.

I still feel like automated import encourages laziness. I mean, I'm not great at keeping up to date, but it makes you think a lot more about your money if you're having to manually put stuff in when you buy things. (Or just importing manually I guess :effort: )

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
If you're behind, I don't see much difference between manually entering things by scouring 2 weeks of online bank statements vs automated importing. Except automated importing removes the chance to gently caress it up and wasting your time trying to figure out what you missed by going over everything three times. Either way you're not using YNAB the way it's meant to be used.

If you are keeping up to date, then it's a great confirmation you're doing it right when everything syncs up perfectly.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I hope you'll be glad to hear that YNAB has had its priorities straight and is now able to deliver support for Amazon's Alexa service.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

I hope you'll be glad to hear that YNAB has had its priorities straight and is now able to deliver support for Amazon's Alexa service.
Sometimes I feel sorry for the pushback the YNAB folks get over some of their decisions. This is not one of those times. I'm starting to really wonder what's going on behind the scenes for them, even though I know fluff features like this probably don't take that much time to put out, and that the automatic transaction import issues took away longer to resolve than they expected.

I wish they'd like, communicate about what they're working on re new features people actually need, it'd make random poo poo like this easier to swallow if we knew they were, say, gearing up for a big mobile app update or what have you.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

This spring they scrapped their V1 of their "calculation engine" and rewrote it from scratch. That held up a lot, I'd figure. Also, scuttlebutt has it that some management type of hire from a while ago seemed to have pushed Jesse to be more profit oriented, to the ire of the previous head developer (I guess there was friction), who then apparently took his toys and went home.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I suppose you can only sell the YNAB4 software once, and then you're left with weeks (months, years) of having to babysit the HELP HOW DO MONEY AHHHH customers for free.

If they just did a Financier and hosted budgets in the cloud - we do backups for you!, no more Dropbox workarounds! - I could understand, but walking back on the method they'd built YNAB4 around leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Mr_D
Jan 28, 2001

I have no sense of humor. I like to crap on everyone's good time by being a jerk. Take a ride on my turd rainbow!

Combat Pretzel posted:

This spring they scrapped their V1 of their "calculation engine" and rewrote it from scratch. That held up a lot, I'd figure. Also, scuttlebutt has it that some management type of hire from a while ago seemed to have pushed Jesse to be more profit oriented, to the ire of the previous head developer (I guess there was friction), who then apparently took his toys and went home.

What the heck is the "calculation engine" supposed to be, anyway? How is adding and subtracting numbers complicated in any way, shape, or form?

If someone can explain it to me, that would be great. The basic arithmetic just seems way too trivial to me.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

babydonthurtme posted:

Sometimes I feel sorry for the pushback the YNAB folks get over some of their decisions. This is not one of those times. I'm starting to really wonder what's going on behind the scenes for them, even though I know fluff features like this probably don't take that much time to put out, and that the automatic transaction import issues took away longer to resolve than they expected.

I wish they'd like, communicate about what they're working on re new features people actually need, it'd make random poo poo like this easier to swallow if we knew they were, say, gearing up for a big mobile app update or what have you.

One nice thing about nYNAB's newest competitor is exactly that -- it's a Trello board with what the developer behind it is working on.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Mr_D posted:

What the heck is the "calculation engine" supposed to be, anyway? How is adding and subtracting numbers complicated in any way, shape, or form?

If someone can explain it to me, that would be great. The basic arithmetic just seems way too trivial to me.

Even seemingly mundane math can get pretty hairy when you're programming software. That said, this isn't their first rodeo so I don't really understand how the first go went so poorly that it needed a rewrite.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Anything that Financier is missing that is big compared to nynab with the toolkit?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Mr_D posted:

Probably some piece of code that caches sums of things in certain periods and manages the integrity thereof, so that you don't need to go over all data every time a recent transaction gets updated. At least that's how did it in my ancient abortion I spent some time on back on Windows 8.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Has anyone else been experiencing lag with nYNAB in Chrome? I can run it in Firefox on my work computer and Edge on both my laptop and desktop at home with no problems. I thought it would be extension related, but disabling all of them did nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Ok. I've had to do this a few times so it's finally getting on my nerves enough. When you do a reconciliation and it asks the current balance of your account, is it with or without uncleared items?