Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I enjoy starting work at rear end o clock in the morning because it makes for a relaxing commute, but it's not very compatible with social life i guess

i mean, not that i'd know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Sapozhnik posted:

I enjoy starting work at rear end o clock in the morning because it makes for a relaxing commute, but it's not very compatible with social life i guess

i mean, not that i'd know

i dunno what you mean by rear end o clock but if you mean 1.5 hr late everyday then same :D

gently caress getting stuck in school traffic

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qntm posted:

oh you get a door, luxury

all devs at epic have private offices. i don't think i could ever go back to cubes. even non devs share an office with at most one other person so it's more a buddies/roommates situation than a panopticon type deal.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

all devs at epic have private offices. i don't think i could ever go back to cubes. even non devs share an office with at most one other person so it's more a buddies/roommates situation than a panopticon type deal.

you get cubes? luxury

we get desks

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

gonadic io posted:

you get cubes? luxury

we get desks

be grateful for it. hot-desking is a thing that exists.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Soricidus posted:

do you work on a submarine? wtf

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Soricidus posted:

like we have the same people in the office every day for the same hours. how does hot-desking work for the office 9-5?

also you do occasionally have to duck a nerf dart or a squishy mascot

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
offices would be awesome, but i will never work anywhere that doesnt have at least cubes.

gently caress open plan offices forever

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

posting to search for my posts

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

more like dICK posted:

do you work on a submarine? wtf

I said it exists, not that I do it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

JewKiller 3000 posted:

for technical interviews, men must wear jeans and a button down shirt, both of which should be casual looking yet obviously expensive to the detailed asperg-eye

lol no

Levi's supremacy

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

do you have a null modem cable

fun fact: to make the modem transfer reliable you need to set the screen to 1bpp color

ok i found a null modem cable in the closet at work now what

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

corporate culture is defined by the ppl in management. in real businesses that's still greatest generation-ers and boomers, thus the suits. in startups its college dropout assholes with "a great idea", thus dressing like slovenly basement dwellers.

our real business once saw someone at an all-company meeting ask the CEO if our great financials meant he could now afford new Levi's without holes in the knees

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Soricidus posted:

don't you mean hot dooring? I thought lots of startups didn't have desks, just "desks" made from a table on filing cabinets

those that don't just cram devs all next to each other at long tables

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Soricidus posted:

Is that where you drape a blanket over your desk at 4:20 and crawl under it for a few minutes?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've had to hot desk all my jobs before I got a dev job. Now I'm in an open office. It's better

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

my current job is the last time i work in an open office, so help me god.

from now on it's actual offices or remote work and that's it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
the recruiter emailed me. they "don't want to move forward."

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
lol, the feedback was:

1)you code too slow and it didn't work the first time. um... ok? my programming style is very prototype-then-clean. im sorry you gave me a nontrival project to do in 45 minutes.
2)you didn't solve the problem with memcached fast enough or with the method we wanted. ok, but you also didn't ask if i had any experience with that product? ive never done poo poo with linux and said that up front. wtf.

they "don't believe in resumes", so none of the very cool real-world poo poo ive done matters. just a stupid toy coding problem. i see what y'all are saying about programming interviews just being pure bullshit

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

boo that sucks, sorry

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bloody posted:

boo that sucks, sorry

not ur fault bro. sorry i failed you *draws wakizashi*

feeling especially down today because they just announced going forward all client code must be typescript and not javascript and i can't commit to trunk until i get that cert too. after i spent three loving weeks on this javascript exam.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

lol, the feedback was:

coding interviews suck and are soul draining

feeling especially down today because they just announced going forward all client code must be typescript and not javascript and i can't commit to trunk until i get that cert too. after i spent three loving weeks on this javascript exam.

the good news here is that typescript makes a lot more sense than jabbascript. i suspect it will be much easier for you

i'd offer to refer you for something at my company, but it would 100% involve moving and my city is very weird politically so I can't guarantee trans-friendliness

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's a huge luck element to interviewing. Just keep at it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

GameCube posted:

ok i found a null modem cable in the closet at work now what

okay now you can transmit files to the Amiga via cat and type ser: > file

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lol, the feedback was:

1)you code too slow and it didn't work the first time. um... ok? my programming style is very prototype-then-clean. im sorry you gave me a nontrival project to do in 45 minutes.
2)you didn't solve the problem with memcached fast enough or with the method we wanted. ok, but you also didn't ask if i had any experience with that product? ive never done poo poo with linux and said that up front. wtf.

they "don't believe in resumes", so none of the very cool real-world poo poo ive done matters. just a stupid toy coding problem. i see what y'all are saying about programming interviews just being pure bullshit

sounds like what they meant by "not believing in resumes" is that they don't bother to read them

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

hobbesmaster posted:

sounds like what they meant by "not believing in resumes" is that they don't bother to read them

yep, they're just really good at gauging people through toy problems and culture fit observation :rolleyes: - who needs resumes when you can just feel it y'know (check for the under 25 white maleness of the candidate)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

and in this case they criticized a javascript/.net/database person about not knowing very low level stuff and linux

seems like they could've just read the resume and figured that out. or during the initial recruiter contact conversations. or by taking 30s out of the front of the interview

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

okay now you can transmit files to the Amiga via cat and type ser: > file

nice. now i guess i need some files and some floppies

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

and a null modem cable with 25 pins on one end 😑

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

at least you'll be able to put your typescript cert on your resume in a couple weeks, and that's actually a modern thing so it could be advantageous

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I'm old enough that I still think of the Andrew User Interface System when someone says “typescript”

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

hobbesmaster posted:

i've been on the job search three months and have yet to have a technical interviewer ask a single question about anything on my resume

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

lol, the feedback was:

sounds like you dodged a bullet tbqh, i certainly wouldn't want to work with people like that. remember, interviewing is a two-way process!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

lol, the feedback was:

lol @ the idea that developers are expected to instantly write code that works first time. If a candidate ever quickly wrote perfect code I would immediately think that perhaps we've hosed up and given them a task they'd completed in the past or they had advanced knowledge or something.

The coding tests that we run for recruitment use a fictional language with unusual syntax and a subset of the features you'd normally expect in order to get candidates to take their time and solve the problem on the spot instead of just parroting something they've done a million times.

What strange feedback, especially about the resumes bit. I agree that you may have dodged a bullet here!

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

https://github.com/Jasonette/JASONETTE-iOS

they were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

CommunistPancake posted:

they were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should

write apps without learning to program!!! all you need to know is json syntax*

* and how to program

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

it is almost literally like they took a handlebars template and decided "you know what would be better for encoding markup than a markup language? a bunch of nested loving strings!"

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

fleshweasel posted:

There's a huge luck element to interviewing. Just keep at it.

Yes. And not because interviews are broken even. Last time I ran a round of hiring: 150 applicants, 40 people got a phone screen. 20 got (short, compensated) homework. All but like 2 got an interview to discuss. Probably 12 got a second round. Like 6 of the people made it to 'yes' consensus among interviewers. could only hire 2.

Even if that was perfect filtering and no one actually good got bounced (impossible), still tossed 66% of hireable peeps.

Never ever let an interview fail get you down. The numbers are so stacked against you, even if you are a golden rockstar, even if interviewing was measurable and objective and perfect.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lol, the feedback was:

lol what bad company was this

sorry it didn't work out but like someone said you dodged a bullet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

CommunistPancake posted:

instead of programming in xml let's program in json instead

has someone created a json version of xslt yet

• Locked thread